Page 16 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516171819202122 LastLast

Thread: The Last Days of The Third Age of Middle-Earth (M&B mod)

Comes Limitis

Default Re: The Last Days of The Third Age of Middle-Earth (M&B mod)

Is it less CTD's now? Often got CTD's playing against Mordor.
    Quote Originally Posted by snuggans View Post
    we can safely say that a % of those 130 were Houthi/Iranian militants that needed to be stopped unfortunately

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Quote Originally Posted by Wowwars View Post
    Rebuild*, somehow, hundred, anyways Does anyone know how to kill barad dur?
    Barad-dur is fenced. You're not going to break it- not unless the Ringbearer comes.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    That said is never.

Only the Black Gate can be brought down.
    Last edited by KnightsTemplar; February 07, 2012 at 04:04 AM.
    Aure entuluva!

QQ well thats one thing they should add and maybe a barrier for osgiliath? so no one can pass between osg without going through city. in this case both. so gondor can have a choke point.

I don't know of any mods that have erected any sort of terrain barrier, sadly it seems, such a thing isn't something that a modder can do in M&B in the same way the TW series does it.

Well my new campiagn as a dunedain is great cept gondor seems to be getting massive sized sieges compared to northern theatre

I have a question maybe someone here can answer, as no one has taken the time to reply on the official forums. So Prince Imrahil has been sitting outside of Cair Andros, besiege it for the past 4 days in game. How the heck do I assault it? I tried clicking on the city, talking to Imrahil, and just sitting around waiting but nothing seems to work. I know I can definitely overpower the garrison, I just need the chance.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

This mod looks wonderful, but I no longer have my M&B copy (obviously it was of little importance after everyone switched over to M&B:W). Why the heck did they choose to build this on the first one?

I suppose I just have to wait for the B&B:W version then.

KnightsTemplar's Avatar Campidoctor

Because it's how it rolls.
    If you can play it, go to Minas Tirith and explore the Citadel a bit. You'll understand.

The original leader started it.
    He was never seen or heard again.
    It's presumed he passed away...
    And so they finish his legacy- though a little bit too late maybe.
    An memorial is built in Minas Tirith in memory of him.

Somedays it may go to Warband also, but it isn't likely- there are some problems accroding to the devs.
    They are having problem 'finishing' this version, as the leader is gone, and with him much of the mod's 'lore'.
    Some of the old features haven't been restored yet.
    Aure entuluva!

Well maybe Help the modders get the mod popular? or help them convert it to warband OR wait till Mount & blade 2 comes out? and work on that?

Merlkir's Avatar Civis

We're concentrating on getting the current MnB version stable, more balanced and put in features we had to cut for the initial release. After that? Who knows. We'll see what happens with MnB 2. There's always the possibility of a Warband port, but it won't be anytime soon. We have a ton of very specific workarounds to make all kinds of stuff happen an porting that won't be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Soul Reapir View Post
    I'm actually not a big fan of this mod, and I waited for it for a long time too. The team did very good on some aspects, like important settlements and some cool features. But I really don't like how they portray middle-earth. I can't immerse myself into the mod because I keep thinking things look really weird compared to how I or Peter Jackson imagined it. PJ did a fantastic job at converting Middle-earth into a visual world, and it serves as a base on how things should even resemble in Middle-Earth for me and MANY others. I don't know if the TLD team thought they could imagine something better or were just trying to follow lore more closely, but either way the visual style pulls me out of the experience so much that I can't even play it. Again, they did good on many things, they are brilliant over there at TLD. But TATW did it right, by basing everything visually on the movies, adding a bit of their own imagination on things that weren't seen in the movies (I believe we have MUCH better artist here at TATW, no offense.), while at the same time sticking to lore very closely. Again, great attempt but I think I'm gonna have to put TLD down boys.
    I'd also like to address this. It's a bit sad that such a thing prevents you from playing the mod, but that's what we went into when we decided to make it like that.
    And yes, we think the movies' designers don't have a patent on how Middle Earth should look like. In fact, in many cases they were very liberal with the lore. What's more important - we didn't want to make just another movie mod. We didn't start making the mod thinking "yeah, we'll make it like the movies and it'll be popular!". We started to make a mod that will represent Middle Earth as we see it, or at least will be closer to our imagination than other depictions.

The (un)finished product is a result of collaboration by many people and in many ways different to my concept art, or how I see stuff in my mind. Still, we stand by it. We've always said that's what we're making and it'll always be that.

As for quality of art - again, many people contributed small parts, some people did a lot of work, even though it may not be top notch, there wasn't anyone else to do it. Mount and Blade is not nearly as popular as the TW games, the community of artists we could possibly snatch is much smaller. I quite like some stuff TATW's done, especially some of DG's troops are quite beautiful.
    We've had a few truly talented visual artists on the team, but keeping someone when the development lasts over 6 years is quite difficult.

To sum up - yes, we thought we could do better and "more right" than some aspects of the movies. More importantly, we thought copying the movies would've been boring. A more detailed explanation of the various design elements is in the Manual.

Feel free not to play the mod, I think we both will get over it.
    Last edited by Merlkir; February 16, 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlkir View Post
    I'd also like to address this. It's a bit sad that such a thing prevents you from playing the mod, but that's what we went into when we decided to make it like that.
    Don't let comments like that get to you (not easy after investing years into TLD, I'm sure) because you'll probably be seeing them repeatedly along with inquiries about "windy flora" and the WB port.

It's certainly not the stance or opinion of "our TATW artists" here. TLD's art direction has been known since forever, it really shouldn't be a surprise for anyone by now.

The popular media tends to engrave certain views onto the populace which is why many might think that the film depiction of Middle-Earth is somehow the "official" one or why many might hold that a 2D game is bad an amateurish because it lacks the 3rd dimension.

TLD's non-movie visuals and music are a major part of what makes TLD appealing to me and you weren't stubborn in avoiding film visuals (or should I call them John Howe visuals?) since you used them where it was advantageous to do so. Different doesn't always mean better of course but you did a great job and under difficult circumstances.
    Last edited by Jean=A=Luc; February 16, 2012 at 12:43 PM.

The art in The Last Days is fantastic and I enjoy the overall feel of the factions quite a bit. Peter Jackson's representation will naturally be accepted as the norm for most people, since many new fans were drawn in by the films. However, as previously stated, PJ was always very liberal with the story itself, including visual depictions.

If you want a M&B: Warband mod that takes after the movie, check out 'Blood in the West'. It doesn't even marginally compare to the quality of The Last Days, despite being explicitly modeled after the films.

I know I'll personally be back in TLD once I can siege things (simply so I can conclude my commentary campaigns as I only game when I record ).

@Merlkir - It's good to see you on here. I do hope you take in account the overwhelming positive comments over the minority negative comments. I know personally I tend to notice the negative comments (dislikes) on my videos, despite having an overwhelming majority of approval. It's best to not even pay it any mind. The team did a fantastic job.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Merlkir's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Ethien View Post
    @Merlkir - It's good to see you on here. I do hope you take in account the overwhelming positive comments over the minority negative comments. I know personally I tend to notice the negative comments (dislikes) on my videos, despite having an overwhelming majority of approval. It's best to not even pay it any mind. The team did a fantastic job.
    I don't view the comment as negative, we've known many people will hold opinions like this. And it's their right, perfectly legit. It just stings a tiny bit as I drew all that stuff. ;P

And yes, I lurk around once in a while. I'm not sure if TATW devs are ok with a thread about TLD being in their subforum though.

And yes! I'd love to see your LPs continue, it's great fun to watch someone play and discover something you've been making for the past 6 years.
    (we're thinking about sieges a lot, I can say that.)

@ALL: that goes for you too, we're super pumped to see someone actually plays a game this old and enjoys what we made.

Mhaedros's Avatar Brave Heart Tegan
    Content Emeritus

Blog Entries

I actually bought M&B just to play your mod
    Under the patronage of Finlander. Once patron to someone, no longer.
    Content's well good, innit.

Beorn's Avatar Praepositus

Me too, but it was like 3 years ago Keep it up!

Mount & blade are such good games massive amount of play alot of nice features and above all eles Mods, and alot of em. hopefuly M&B 2 should be more popular so the devs can pull off more stuff.

this mod really needs the attention it desevers too hidden from the gaming community if u ask me. i only found this by chance.

Merlkir's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by Wowwars View Post
    this mod really needs the attention it desevers too hidden from the gaming community if u ask me. i only found this by chance.
    We were 8th Mod of the Year Player's Choice on ModDB, so hopefully SOME people know we exist.

some not enough never enough you need to reach TATW status so LOTR can be the most epic to rule them all.

also you have a way to remove vertex errors really annoys me how it only happens to M&B but no crashes or spikes in warband at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlkir View Post
    We're concentrating on getting the current MnB version stable, more balanced and put in features we had to cut for the initial release. After that? Who knows. We'll see what happens with MnB 2. There's always the possibility of a Warband port, but it won't be anytime soon. We have a ton of very specific workarounds to make all kinds of stuff happen an porting that won't be easy.

And yes, we think the movies' designers don't have a patent on how Middle Earth should look like. In fact, in many cases they were very liberal with the lore. What's more important - we didn't want to make just another movie mod. We didn't start making the mod thinking "yeah, we'll make it like the movies and it'll be popular!". We started to make a mod that will represent Middle Earth as we see it, or at least will be closer to our imagination than other depictions.

The (un)finished product is a result of collaboration by many people and in many ways different to my concept art, or how I see stuff in my mind. Still, we stand by it. We've always said that's what we're making and it'll always be that.

As for quality of art - again, many people contributed small parts, some people did a lot of work, even though it may not be top notch, there wasn't anyone else to do it. Mount and Blade is not nearly as popular as the TW games, the community of artists we could possibly snatch is much smaller. I quite like some stuff TATW's done, especially some of DG's troops are quite beautiful.
    We've had a few truly talented visual artists on the team, but keeping someone when the development lasts over 6 years is quite difficult.

To sum up - yes, we thought we could do better and "more right" than some aspects of the movies. More importantly, we thought copying the movies would've been boring. A more detailed explanation of the various design elements is in the Manual.

Feel free not to play the mod, I think we both will get over it.
    Hey please do not take it personal in anyway. Like I said I think the team did brilliant on many aspects. I just am not a fan of the visual aspect as it is not anything like the way I and many others now depict Middle-Earth (post-movie visualization). This is a great piece of modding achievement, it is just a personal opinion of mine, that the visual art direction takes me away from the immersion because my brain is too busy thinking "Hey this isn't how I imagined Gondorians at all!", ect. I cannot stress enough the fact that you all did well. Do not let me rain on anyone's parade. Perhaps you guys will some day under-go some kind of visual overhaul with some new artist, and I will just absolutely love it. Unlikely to happen (your team is done with visuals as far as I'm aware), but you never know. With all respect, good luck to you and the rest of your team. Your doing good out there.

@Ethien The comment was not intended to be negative.

@Jean=A=Luc
    I am a old fan of LotR, and the films were not my first contact with the universe. I read the Hobbit and the Fellowship before I saw the first PJ movie. I think the visual style of the movies is amazing and although it is not the closest depiction when it comes to lore, I think it would be VERY rough to top the quality and imagination that went into the movie designs. That is the reason the films visuals are the "official" visuals for Middle-Earth in my mind. Because of its quality. Not because it is popular media.
    Last edited by Soul Reapir; February 16, 2012 at 11:08 PM.

Groovy