Thread: Frankish Backstab

Default Frankish Backstab

Ive played 2 Norman campaigns now, and in each one the Franks betray me and attack Paris once ive taken it, even if they are at war with the Danes. It kind of ruins the campaign as the Franks quickly get wiped out by me and the Danes, which then drags me into a long boring war with the Danes when really I want to follow history and invade Wessex.

I tried making peace/making the Franks my vassal, which they never accept regardless of their situation, is their anyway of stopping them backstabbing me in the first place? You start the game as allies and id like to keep it that way.

Default Re: Frankish Backstab

Don't conquer Paris.

Then I cant convert to Christianity and get the feudal style units

Get it later on.

Here are a few options.

1. Offer the Franks a very small tribute (100 shillings/pounds per turn) for twenty years or so to increase your standing with them.

2. Keep a strong garrison in Paris. AI factions tend not to attack well-fortified cities.

3. My personal favorite, move_character. I use it constantly to keep the Danes in England instead of Frankia.

thanks MButcher for the tips, Paris was very lightly defended at the time, though my relationship with them was perfect hence my surprise at them attacking me. Anyway ill start again and see what happens

Quote Originally Posted by MButcher View Post
    Here are a few options.

3. My personal favorite, move_character. I use it constantly to keep the Danes in England instead of Frankia.
    Damned good idea!

I usually just conquer Paris, convert to Christianity, then give Paris to the Franks as a tribute of Christian brotherhood. Because historically, the founder of the Normans was bribed with land (Normandy) to not attack Paris. That way you are now Christian and the Franks have more resorces to attack the Danes with. Since you need Paris for the victory, I would just take it again much later in the campaign if I feel like it.

How about, you wait for the vikings to attack and take Aachen (lotharingia circa 880 or 887) and same for paris, wait for the vikings to attack and weaken it, or take it before and get attacked by them. In my normans game Aachen belongs to the vikings and the magyar have settled in frankish territory somewhere around the brunswick area, kind of bad placement seeing that they are now a border province between frankish and danish kingdoms.

I wouldnt dream of giving away paris for free, the next closest minor cities are either frankish or on the british isles, and minor city = norman knights and dismounted norman knights (42 defense *homer drooling sound*).
    Last edited by iPoon; November 19, 2011 at 07:26 AM.