Thread: Tips for Romans on 2.3

Civis

Default Tips for Romans on 2.3

I'm usually playing SS but wanted to try BC for its beautiful Islamic and Eastern Christian factions. I had already played with Ghazni and was giving the Romans a go, any tips for dealing with those stacks of elite Rum Seljuk troops? I think I'm just going to turtle after taking Sivas, Dorylaeum and Amorium and wait for them to come to me...

Default Re: Tips for Romans on 2.3

Take to the offensive on them as quick as possible. Take the initiative or else they'll be able to spawn a whole lot of excellent stacks against you. Take their castles first, which supplies their good troops.
    Heir to Noble Savage in the Imperial House of Wilpuri

medhma's Avatar Libertus

Well, the best, easiest and deadliest way to deal with Roman stacks, is to prepare a huge armies (let's say 5 stacks or more as you wish, 4 infantry and one of heavy cavalry) deploy as many spies as possible in theirs settlements you plan to attack (the settlements with low garrison in the rear or centre of their kingdom), your heavy cavalry stack best be leaded by a general with night fighting ability. Now call a jihad, send your infantry to conquer as many settlement as possible (your spies will open the gates that help a lot) and let the target jihad settlement the last one to take. With your cavalry put down their stacks one by one, now you're ready to make peace, give them back one or may be two settlement and start again to prepare another attack.

They have a lot of stacks so my strategy is hit and run.

Civis

Thanjs for the advice! I've taken Anatolia plus Antioch and have just repelled the 4th crusade. What would you guys say are the strengths of the Roman Army as the game on? The heavy cav don't seem as good as those available to KOJ but the Roman horse archers and pikeman seem to balance that out though...how does one use the Kataphractoi since they don't have maces?