Thread: Scouting the battlefield

Default Scouting the battlefield

Hello fellow RS2 fans,

Me and my mate got together one evening and we were discussing how terrain dependent the phalanx is (as it should be). The problem is their is no real way to gauge the terrain of the battlefield before going in. The strat-map only gives a general idea of how it is going to turn out. I have had many battles where I fight in unfavorable conditions where I cannot use my phalanx properly. I know that phalanx combat is buggy as it it, but they tend to fare much better in open, level battlefields than hilly and broken terrain. I know I can either gauge from the strat-map, or if an enemy is present send in a scout unit such as light cavalry to scout the battlefield, but the second option seems so time consuming.

Is there any way to preview a battle map so I can have the choice to engage if I deem the terrain favourable? Possibly getting the 2D mini map of the battlefield including isobars without actually entering the battle map?Maybe tying this in with some sort of "battlefield scout" ancillary for your general?

Thank you for your time
    Harkness

Default Re: Scouting the battlefield

RTW is only a template for playing out small skirmishes.

It's campaign is merely a way for you to "fight".

It doesn't even attempt to grasp warfare and "strategy".

Technically, I guess you can presume that the enemy would pick an unfavourable terrain, preventing you from fighting.

Realistically, you could just pressure, blockade, force attacks if they camp. I dont notice any logistical or economic differences if an enemy is swarming my regions. so...

Anyway, the phalanx shouldnt be hard to use in rough terrain, from my experience. Try maybe setting up camp in a good spot and use archers if you think engaging is too risky.

Soldiers practically can scale mountains with a less than 90 degree angle... They still hold formation pretty well, even if a big rock is in the phalanx.

Default Re: Scouting the battlefield

I don't think it is possible on the RTW engine.

Maybe editing the view the settlement thing to view any battlefield could work, but I have no idea if it is even possible to move.
    Under the patronage of apple.
    Patron of ybbon66.