Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Military mentality of Achaemenid leaders?

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Military mentality of Achaemenid leaders?

Quote Originally Posted by |Sith|5|DarthLazy View Post
    Shahname is beyond the Achaeminid time frame.
    Exactly. So that leaves no literary works.

When your cities (including libraries) are destroyed that kind of thing can happen, eg we have almost no Punic literature left, except for what the Romans were able to copy from their client kingdoms who were granted some of the material.

And thus we can conclude Phoenicians did not keep literary accounts of stuff.

Heaping amounts of fail: the Romans copied Punic treatises on farming, vinery, etc. As for Phoenicia proper, Sanchuniathon was possibly the first history, and the Greek word biblos (book)comes from the Phoenician city of Byblos from whom the Greeks learned book making. The Phoenicians were maybe the most literate people of the time, as befits international traders.
    Last edited by Kitsunegari; November 05, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

I was trolling you there.

Icon9 Re: Military mentality of Achaemenid leaders?

You succeeded I'm probably way to proud of Phoenicia considering DNA testing on modern Lebanese has shown the results of many waves of immigrants.
    Last edited by Kitsunegari; November 05, 2011 at 11:47 AM.

Shahname is beyond the Achaeminid time frame.
    actually it is about all tree Iranian dynastys pre-islam .

it talks about hakhamaneshian , ashkanian , sassanian , even solukian and iskandar. don't undrestimate ferdowsis work
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

It is about them, yes, but it was written in 1000AD.

and herodotus was borned in 484 BC , in his history in nine books he noted that he only writes what he have heard but there is no reason for him to belive his own writings .
    when writing history you won't write what you have seen by your own eyes , you write what you have heard, so shahnameh is a very good source since persian sources written in 5th century BC are extreemly rare.
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis

Quote Originally Posted by the persian Immortal View Post
    and herodotus was borned in 484 BC , in his history in nine books he noted that he only writes what he have heard but there is no reason for him to belive his own writings .
    when writing history you won't write what you have seen by your own eyes , you write what you have heard, so shahnameh is a very good source since persian sources written in 5th century BC are extreemly rare.
    Herodotus was bore far closer to the events he wrote about, so that time hadn't degraded the reliability of the accounts enough to matter.

Tales written fifteen hundred years later, on the other hand, are far too inaccurate and degraded by time to be taken as anymore than folk tales by that point.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

Exactly.

Either way, it appears Darius III defeated some revolt by defeating the leader in a duel before coming to power. Who would've expected that? However, that probably means a young man, clad in metal head to toe, armed with spear, axe and steel sword, with a lifetime of training under his belt, engaging some old man in cheap armor.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; November 05, 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Why are you so ridiculously defensive? I never said any of that. I am just setting some matters straight - there is no evidence what-so-ever of a Persian equivalent to Herodotus' histories or the Illiad (ok, maybe the Shahname qualifies for the latter, but no Herodotus).
    I understand you are setting things straight but you need to be more open about the Persian culture and history.

Not only did we have Alexander burn it down to the ground but we also had a 20 year war with Arabs that destroyed everything and then a 200 year occupation in which they completely destroyed and erased our history and writings. That is what you need to understand. The Persians have very little of their history preserved due to this. Just because there is no evidence of it now does not mean there ever was.

Persians were forbidden to speak their language or even talk about their past. I can imagine 200 years of that there will be a lot of information and literature lost.

Who knows how many countless libraries were lost and burned in the Persian Empires. Priceless information that if they were preserved till this day your arguments will be very different.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

Exactly.

Either way, it appears Darius III defeated some revolt by defeating the leader in a duel before coming to power. Who would've expected that? However, that probably means a young man, clad in metal head to toe, armed with spear, axe and steel sword, with a lifetime of training under his belt, engaging some old man in cheap armor.
    although the sword would have more likely been iron.

Please rep me for my posts, not for the fact that i have a Pony as an Avatar.

DarthLazy's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by century x View Post
    I understand you are setting things straight but you need to be more open about the Persian culture and history.

Not only did we have Alexander burn it down to the ground but we also had a 20 year war with Arabs that destroyed everything and then a 200 year occupation in which they completely destroyed and erased our history and writings. That is what you need to understand. The Persians have very little of their history preserved due to this. Just because there is no evidence of it now does not mean there ever was.

Persians were forbidden to speak their language or even talk about their past. I can imagine 200 years of that there will be a lot of information and literature lost

Who knows how many countless libraries were lost and burned in the Persian Empires. Priceless information that if they were preserved till this day your arguments will be very different.
    Prove it. I can name a dozen intellectuals from Iran that appeared AFTER the Arab conquests.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heathen Hammer View Post
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.
    Sovereignty of Ukraine was recognized by Yeltsin and died with him.

Prove it. I can name a dozen intellectuals from Iran that appeared AFTER the Arab conquests.
    emmmmmmmm isn't that what we are trying to say ? we are saying that persian sources about preislamic Iran is extreemly rare we nominated some who we all know about shahnameh , manis book ect but you guys seem to not getting it , and counter this with "oh hell no! the writers was rather not native pure blood persians or they didn't lived in the time frame
    Quote Originally Posted by TWWolfe View Post
    Herodotus was bore far closer to the events he wrote about, so that time hadn't degraded the reliability of the accounts enough to matter.

Tales written fifteen hundred years later, on the other hand, are far too inaccurate and degraded by time to be taken as anymore than folk tales by that point.
    muhahahahaha and that's why he says that 300 spartans held 3,000,000 persians back for 3 days right ?

I agree with you mate herodotus is 100% accurate
    BOM to Kakabis

Fact is, you may "guess" there would be persian literature, but there isnt, you need to have proof, you have none.
    Real imperialism is shown by Western apologists who are defending Ukraine's brutal occupation of Novorossija.

Fact is, you may "guess" there would be persian literature, but there isnt, you need to have proof, you have none.
    The Library of Persepolis, which contained a lot of literature including the Avesta (which only exists in fragments now mainly) was destroyed by Alexander's forces.

Given Persia's history of other cultures overrunning it at times (Hellenes, Arabs, Seljuks, Mongols, etc) I'd imagine that most Achaemenid records would be lost, besides their rock carvings. A lot of ancient kingdoms only have a few inscriptions left like this to prove they were literate cultures at all, like the Urartians and their steles. Don't forget that the Mongols burnt half the Khwarezmian Empire to the ground, and it might have been the half of Persia that Alexander hadn't touched.

The proof is in the circumstantial evidence. The Persians were undoubtedly influenced by Mesopotamian literary cultures, which were extremely rich and extensive in their subject matter (myths, reporting, king lists, dictionaries, hymns, laments, epics, etc). To say that the Persians, a settled people, adopted none of that for their own use isn't impossible, but it's highly improbable. The other people they conquered also had literate cultures, such as Egypt, Urartu, formerly Hittite regions, formerly Hurrian regions, and then the Greeks of Ionia and Anatolia, and we know how they loved their literature.
    Last edited by Drtad; November 06, 2011 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by the persian Immortal View Post
    emmmmmmmm isn't that what we are trying to say ? we are saying that persian sources about preislamic Iran is extreemly rare we nominated some who we all know about shahnameh , manis book ect but you guys seem to not getting it , and counter this with "oh hell no! the writers was rather not native pure blood persians or they didn't lived in the time frame
    Yes exactly

It was destroyed, gone lost forever. Who knows maybe in 10 years some random find in the Fars province will show Persian literature that pre - dates Islamic invasions, Alexander invasion, everything.

One can hope
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

So we can only speculate.

So we can only speculate.
    Speculate rather definitively.

Let me give an example to compare. Armenia has nothing written left from its pre-Christian history (thanks to the efforts of Drtad III), except for Urartian steles and a few steles from Artaxias I in the 2nd century BC. Does that mean they didn't have any literature, and then all of a sudden started mass producing and translating books in the 5th century AD? That is highly unlikely, just like the Persians having no literature in Achaemenid times is very highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Drtad; November 06, 2011 at 10:39 AM.