Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XXIX: The Ending of the Rift

Inarus's Avatar In Laziness We Trust

Default Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XXIX: The Ending of the Rift

Author's Note: Although I consider this a sequel to Erion's tale, this does not require knowledge of that tale to read, you may start afresh here.

Map of Beleriand

Beleriand was the original western coastline of Middle-earth, later lost to the sea. The shire lies beyond the mountain range to the east of the map. Angband, Melkor's stronghold in Beleriand, is north of Anfauglith. Beleriand was in this time connected to the Undying Lands (Aman) by a plain of ice, the Helcaraxë.

Prologue

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Prologue

In the First Age of Middle-earth, a land wholly different from the one which saw the Hobbits of the Shire rise to great deeds, the Lord of Darkness, the malicious being breeding orcs in his Iron Fortress was not Sauron but Melkor.
    In this time, the Valar, godlike beings seen as myths in the period of the Rings of Power, were more active against the evil of Melkor and they ever aimed to protect the elves dwelling in the Undying Lands, as yet un-separated from the shores of Middle-earth.

It was in the 4696th year of the First Age, six years after the birth of the mighty elven warrior Fingolfin and twenty-seven years after the birth of the magnificent craftsman Fëanor, that, without mention in the annals of history, the Valar gathered by command of their King, Manwë, Lord of Winds, Guardian of Birds; each Vala came, even the Lord of the Waters who seldom answered summons.

What they spoke of though was never recorded but the same evening, whilst she slept, an elf woman named Iriel immaculately conceived a child, but being married she put the child’s father down to be her husband for no-one could know better. And it came to be that in spring of the following year, the child was born, male and so not some fluke of nature. And as the woman screamed from the pains of labours, an eagle watched, a large and majestic bird of the skies concealing beneath its magical guise the godlike being who had truely fathered the boy. And when Iriel was asked the name of her son, invisibly the bird swept down and whispered in her pointy-ear, ‘Thoron Glerenyonnen.’

Book I: The Tale of the Rift
    The Eagle Rises

Chapter I: Squire
    Squire

Guided by fortune, family connections, good parents or perhaps just divine intervention, Thoron became, at a young age, a close friend to Fingolfin, second son of Finwë and half brother of Fëanor. Certainly at first glance, it was merely that Thoron’s parents were friends with Finwë that brought the two young elves together but it is safe to assume that Manwë’s birds had whispered in many ears to make the two children come together.

It in the twenty-fifth year of his second son’s life that Finwë invited Thoron and his parents to a private dinner and set about discussing his two eldest sons, ‘I take it you know that my eldest – Fëanor – is estranged from Fingolfin?’ He paused but did not ask for affirmation, continuing in a quieter, sadder tone of voice, ‘Yes, it was because of his mother. She died shortly after giving birth to him. Fëanor always resented the fact that I remarried, and he continues to show his resentment to both my second wife and to my children by her: Fingolfin and his sister.’

Taking a sip of wine, Finwë leaned forward and focused on Thoron’s parents, ‘Now I invited you round to ask young Thoron if he would like to be squire to Fingolfin? He would also take lessons in crafting from Fëanor’s own tutor. He would be close to each of my sons, and I hope, draw them closer together. So what do you say, Thoron?’

As squire to Fingolfin their friendship deepened, together they trained with swords and daggers, learning the graceful arts of elven combat. On other days Thoron would be with Fëanor, learning the arts of the gem-smiths under the tutelage of Mahtan, who had been himself a student of Aüle the Vala.

Days, weeks, months passed, and each day Thoron strived to heal the rift between the two sons of Finwë. Nonetheless, Fëanor was hard to befriend, he kept himself to himself and to his work. A year after he had become the student of Mahtan, 4716, the tutor dispatched his pupils on a period of private study and, delving deep into the Gift of Far-sight – people with the power to see things elsewhere, to even communicate with people far away – Thoron’s curiosity was aroused by a few lines in some tedious tome.

That night ideas came to him instead of dreams, thoughts concerning spheres and seeing afar. Dawn came and he proposed his ideas to Fëanor, who realised their quality immediately. Together they set about planning and sketching, but crucially, they were doing it together. Through that simple idea, the two became close enough for Thoron to consider bringing about a meeting between Fëanor and Fingolfin in which the rift could be resolved.

Yet before this meeting could occur, Fëanor – who had had long been in love with Nerdanel, daughter of the smith and tutor Mahtan – married this elf maiden and the two departed for a long honeymoon.

Thus Thoron returned to his project, and as the year waned and another began he fashioned, one night in a darkened room, a mixture of so much material and magic into something so much more, something described to be – by Mithrandir himself – beyond the power of Sauron and Saruman: a palantír.

How an elf, of apparent little importance, produced such an incredible tool one can only speculate at, surely he must have been guided by Gods!

Chapter II: Across the Seas
    Across the Seas

‘Thoron, how fares my sons?’ Finwë asked, offering a glass of wine.

‘How fares the rift between them, you mean?’ Thoron took a sip, then answered, ‘Repairing ever so slowly, when next we meet I shall invite them both together, I think I can do it now, ever since I created that orb – what?’ Finwë’s face betrayed a disappointment in something and it wasn’t until Thoron echoed the question once more that the Elf revealed what troubled him.

‘There was a request for a company of elves to embark on a . . . kind of mission; your name was on a list.’

‘A list? Who’s requesting this? Why me?’

‘I cannot tell you the specifics, all I can say is that they are all young elven warriors, save for the one who acts as guide, and leader. He’s older, perhaps one of the first, yet I do not know him. Maegwin he is called.’

The seas roared about them, icy spray splashed young Thoron’s face, refreshing yet he shivered nonetheless.

About them a storm raged, on the horizon lightning flashed yet it never came any closer. Footsteps sounded behind the young elf, yet they were muffled by the crash of the waves on the hull of the ship and Thoron never heard them. Maegwin joined him at the prow, looking out over the grey waters, for a while he said nothing until a calm settled over the oceans and he said, ‘You should remain below decks, the seas are treacherous.’

‘I can swim,’ Thoron joked, staring into the murky depths.

‘Get to know the others, learn their strengths and their weaknesses, know who to send to wipe out an army, and who to send to make peace with one.’

‘Why would I need to know such things of them? That is for you to know, sir.’

‘You have a leader's mind, Thoron.’

‘Speaks one who has known me for a few days.’

‘I know you,’ Maegwin replied and he descended below deck leaving Thoron alone.

The young elf looked out ahead, his perfect eyesight making out a bold line on the horizon, a line of cliffs and beaches – the shores of Beleriand.

Chapter III: Journey to Ard-Galen
    Journey to Ard-Galen

Their ship landing at last at the foot of Mount Taras, at the westernmost point of the Ered Wethrin.

From there they ventured east, following these Mountains of Shadow as they curved northeast; they crossed the rivers Narog, Teiglin, Glithui, Malduin and then finally reached the Great River, Sirion. Wide and rapid, its roar could be heard long before they first laid eyes on it. Weeks after disembarking from their ship, they reached the fair and far-stretching Green Region, Ard-Galen in Sindarin.

It was a great moor, stretching for countless leagues as yet untouched by the evil of Melkor. Flocks of wild, untamed beasts grazed peacefully, birds spiralled above the party of elves and Thoron’s eyesight picked out the shapes of great golden eagles.

It was a few days before the elves first saw them.

They were the height of elves but their backs were crooked and so they slouched, appearing shorter. Their skin was deathly pale, some scarred or burnt. Their ears were pointy – those who still had ears left over from the torture. They wore thick armour, forged without skill, ugly in appearance, much like their faces. They hunted now, never further south of Ard-Galen, it would be half a century before they would be first sighted in Beleriand. The elves asked their leader and guide what they were and, with a grim expression, Maegwin answered, ‘They are us, captive for centuries, tortured till driven insane, mutilated beyond recognition. And now they serve their captor and torturer, Melkor accursed. We have known Melkor has been breeding them for centuries, now at last we see them. Orcs.’

At the word a shiver ran down the young elves’ spines. ‘Yet Melkor is in chains, the Valar broke his stronghold of Utumno and sentenced him to Ages of imprisonment.’

Maegwin nodded, ‘Correct Thoron, but here a fallen Maia commands as lieutenant in his place.’

‘What do we do?’ one asked, he was Terëon, a tall dark-haired elf skilled with two short blades. He paused a moment, then echoed the question that had been uttered every day of the past few weeks, ‘Why are we here?’

Maegwin hesitated, clearly choosing his words purposefully, then replied, ‘To watch and to learn, but when the time is right, to strike a hard blow to Melkor’s slaves.’

That night they made camp to the west, on the lower slopes of the Iron Mountains, Ered Engrin. Their sleep was uneasy, with so much evil so near, yet soon their minds slipped into oblivion and they awoke to a crimson dawn.

‘Valar I’m tired!’ Terëon exclaimed, rubbing his eyes.

‘Same,’ Calwë, a silvery-haired elf with the appearance of a teenager admitted.

‘We’ve barely slept I daresay, woken by the glow of firesto north, what is feeding them though I cannot say,’ Thoron observed, his voicedistant, ‘I can make out the flicker of the tongues of flame, the tendrils ofsmoke spiralling up to the skies.’

‘I can’t make out a thing!’ Calwë muttered, squinting into the distance.

‘Our friend has the eyes of his namesake,’ Terëon whispered – though loud enough for Thoron to hear. He smiled then turned to Maegwin who was getting ready to depart. ‘Sir, where are we going?’

‘Angband.’

Calwë laughed, Feonos – an elf only a year older than Thoron – paled in fear, Ëawis – an elf of one hundred years – saw the expression on Maegwin’s face and said in surprise, ‘You’re entirely serious!’

Maegwin nodded.

Angband – the Iron Prison – Melkor’s second stronghold built into the three volcanic peaks of Thangorodrim yet destroyed when the Valar defeated and imprisoned Melkor. It was situated a few miles from where they had made camp and the name had been increasingly terrorising their minds every day that they drew closer to the terrible fortress.

‘You’re mad!’ exclaimed Erist, younger than Thoron but with the skills of an elf thrice his age when he picked up a long-sword.

‘No not mad, there are windows on the upper levels and a part of Thangorodrim which is a gentle climb. Silent as the wind we shall breach their defences and infiltrate the stronghold of Melkor’s servant.’

‘To what end?’ demanded Thoron.

Maegwin smiled, ‘Why, to kill him. To kill the lieutenant of the Dark Lord himself: Sauron.’

Chapter IV: Fortress of Iron
    Fortress of Iron

They followed with reluctance for the scheme, even when fully explained, seemed as insane as orcs.

Thangorodrim was terrible to behold, three cones towering taller than any mountain in Middle-earth, spewing out jet black smoke and ash channelled upwards from the armouries and pits of the Iron Prison far below ground level. The party of elves and their mysterious and perhaps mad leader Maegwin stopped at the foot of the westernmost of the three spires of stone, where the unnatural peak met the Iron Mountains. There a gully was clear, steeper than Maegwin had described and littered with tiny pebbles that would prove deadly to one of unsure footing. Yet these elves, purposefully chosen for their agility and skills, took to the steep ascent like mountain goats, moving carefully but swiftly upwards and clad in their grey elven robes they blended into the backdrop of stone. A hundred feet up, the slope eased out until reaching the gully between the western and central peak; there it dropped down steeply until reaching the facade of Thangorodrim and the iron battlements that guarded the Great Gate far below.

‘Down,’ Maegwin instructed, ‘ready blades the battlements will be heavily armed yet strike swift and they shall not have time to raise alarm. Calwë, climb up and around, strike down on them from above.’

The young elf nodded, taking to the sheer rock face of the western spire of Thangorodrim as if he had lived on sheer slopes all his life. In less than a minute he was ten feet above his companions and then he started edging sideways around the peak. Maegwin lead the other elves down the next gully slowly, he bore an unsheathed short-sword and clasped a dagger in his other hand. The battlements were ahead, built onto the sides of the west and east peaks, funnelling armies between them and towards the Great Gate built into the centre spire. Yet from where they approached, the elves were poised to strike the battlements from above.

From Thoron’s first glance of the iron ramparts he counted twenty orcs and something much larger. ‘Troll,’ Maegwin named the ugly brutish beast. ‘Thoron, Terëon, Ëawis, go left and deal with the troll. Erist, Feonos, follow me around to the right. On the count of three, three, two, one . . .’

They sprang from the gully, Thoron leaping down on an orc and slitting its throat before it could sound a scream. As he rose to his feet a throwing dagger flashed past him, landing in the breast of the next orc along the wall. As Terëon swapped throwing knives for his two short blades, Thoron dashed along the wall, an orc was bracing itself for the attack but as Thoron came close his sword swung up fast as light, it took the orc in its abdomen and ripped up as far as its chin. With a horrible gurgling sound it collapsed backwards in a mess of insides. Ëawis darted past Thoron, cleaving the final orc’s head from its shoulders before it could blow the horn pressed to its lips and the three elves drew to a halt as the troll lumbered towards them. Slow, clumsy and making grunting noises, it was clear it lacked the intelligence to run and sound the alarm. Thoron darted towards its left side, dagger in his right hand, sword in his left. Two feet from the beast he jumped, the dagger plunged into the troll’s arm and the elf used it to swing himself around and onto the trolls back. His sword, clasped clumsily in his left hand, went up and curved around in front of the troll’s throat, then the dagger came free, the elf fell back, and the sword cut backwards with him, deep into the neck, stifling any roar. Thoron hit the ground and rolled aside, a second later the troll slammed into the spot where Thoron had lain a moment ago.

Weapons retrieved, the elves regrouped, their attention focused on the walls on the other side of the Great Gate. The dark outlines of orcs and trolls, apparently stationary, suggested that they had not realised what had befallen their fellow mutants. Maegwin took a moment to gloat at their short-sightedness before directing the small company to a door at the end of the parapet, leading into the mountain itself.

It was dark within, every so often a torch illuminated the passage but often the elves found themselves walking blindly through the darkness. After a while though, the passage joined a larger one and the elves made faster progress.

‘So how do you propose we find this “Sauron”,’ Thoron asked.

‘More importantly, how do we kill him?’ Calwë asked.

‘I find decapitation tends to do the trick,’ Terëon remarked.

‘Quiet, else they find us too soon,’ Maegwin warned.

Yet ahead lights flickered, shadows moved, orcs screeched some foul tongue. Around a corner the orcs came, coming face to face with the elves and their cold steel. Shock stunned the creatures and steel flashed in the dimly lit passage. Thoron’s blade slashed open an orcs breast, a scimitar thrust towards him and he seized it in his empty hand, holding it as he ran its owner through. He spun, sword arcing down, catching a foe’s ankle and swiping it off balance. The orc fell, trampled by friends and foes. Maegwin fought with a spear as tall as his shoulder, the last foot of which was a fine steel blade, its other end a short spike. The weapon he wielded with the speed of a Vala, it swished towards an orc, opening it from belly to breast, an orc to his flank took the spear butt in its beating heart, perfectly stabbing between two ribs, thence it sliced through the air in an upwards arc, severing a creature’s gullet before spinning around such that the spiked end slammed into its stomach and pushed it gently backwards, such that it fell to the ground.

The mêlée over, the elves regrouped and made ready to continue. They delved deeper into Angband, wandering aimlessly for none knew the paths of the Iron Prison, nor where their target could be found. And the deeper they went, the more they feared they were being ensnared, for not again did they encounter any foes, at least, not until they entered a great hall so dark its other end could not be seen.

But in the darkness something moved, something immense, with terrible glowing eyes, wreathed in shadow and wielding a long mace. They had found Sauron, and He awaited them.

Chapter V: The Duel with Doom
    The Duel with Doom

The elves drew to a sudden halt and, as one, unsheathed steel; Sauron merely laughed at their defiance.

The Lieutenant of Angband advanced towards them with the menace of an Olog-hai, yet the aura of terror could not touch the stout hearts of the elves. Sauron was a pale thing, his flesh like that of a corpse, his black hair long and unkempt and his glowing eyes cold and piercing. When he opened his mouth his teeth were visible, mostly straight and regular save for two fangs protruding downwards from his upper jaw. ‘Hail elves, what madness brings thee into my domain?’

‘Your death,’ Maegwin said, darting forward suddenly, sword high.

‘Madness,’ Ëawis echoed in disbelief, following his commander nonetheless.

The other elves joined the charge, voices screaming some wordless war-cry.

Maegwin met with Sauron in a clash of steel, sending sparks flying. His spear blocked Sauron’s mace without showing signs of shattering, and then the two broke apart. The swirl of mists wrapped around the Lieutenant stretched out to try and surround the other elves too yet they fled from the naked steel. Maegwin came forth again, ducking under the swipe of Sauron’s sceptre and swinging his spear around in an attempt to strike the foe from his feet. Yet the fallen Maia evaded the weapon and brought the mace around, almost catching the elf’s spine. Maegwin rolled from the assault though, landing on his back and thrusting his spear upwards, missing the Maia by inches.

Meanwhile the other elves came at Sauron, Thoron leaping high and aiming for his neck, Terëon going low, striking upwards towards his torso. None hit, for when they drew close Sauron span, mace swinging around and striking Terëon in the back, hurling him aside. Thoron turned in time, blocking the blow but nonetheless was thrown from the demon’s back. The other elves aimed to distract Sauron as Maegwin tried to assault him from behind yet the mists about Sauron suddenly came to life and like physical hands pushed each elf away save for Maegwin.

Thus again only Maegwin and Sauron stayed afoot, and the two set about striking and blocking but never succeeding to land a blow. Maegwin’s spear flashed silver against the grey of the mists about his foe and Maegwin realised suddenly to use this to his advantage. When next his and Sauron’s steel clashed he angled the blade of his spear such that it flashed in Sauron’s eye and briefly stunned, Maegwin struck, driving the spike of his spear-butt into Sauron’s neck. The Lieutenant recoiled with a piercing shriek and the mists wrapped around him, concealing him from view. Far above in the ceiling of the hall a light suddenly blossomed, a raging fire that was alive.

Then like a bomb it dropped and the impact of it on the ground hurled all aside.

Sauron’s voice sounded, a high pitched cackle, and then the dust of cracked stone and the thick smoke from the fires cleared and all came into sight. The balrog rose from the ground, its lord and lieutenant riding its fiery back. The young elves recoiled, fearful at the sight they had never before beheld, then awe fell upon them as Maegwin met with the balrog, defiant until the end.

As the balrog glowed golden-red from its cloak of fire, so Maegwin glowed like a star. Down came the balrog’s flaming blade and up came the silver spear and still it did not shatter. ‘Back thou beast of darkness, look upon this day as thy last,’ came Maegwin’s voice yet it was somehow louder, more dominant. The beast roared in defiance and tried once more to strike again yet Maegwin stepped nimbly aside and the blade smote the floor instead. ‘Fly, friends, this is not a battle ye can win!’ The elves hesitated, reluctant to leave Maegwin there alone, yet something in that voice commanded obedience, and thus they obeyed and ran.

They sprinted through all the passages they had traversed before yet still they became lost, great halls opened up to them and they retreated, fearing more great beasts in the dark, at every staircase they climbed like they had previously always descended and soon they found themselves in the longest and largest of all the passages, the Great Tunnel, straight as a long-sword and leading miles into the Iron Mountains in one direction, and to the Great Gate in the other direction. But which direction led the way they desired?

None amongst them could tell and none amongst them dared guess. Yet Thoron chose for them, saying that he was not guessing, only that “he knew”. They broke into a sprint once more, darting down the straight passage, swords in hands, ready for an attack that might come at any moment. It never did.

Finally, as if guided by divine grace, the mouth of the tunnel loomed up ahead, the Great Gate was wide open and the sentries were there guarding it. Two of Terëon’s throwing daggers alerted the orcs to the enemy in the darkness of the tunnel, and then the elves fell upon them. Swords rang, orcs died, but none heard their screams, or if they did, they did not come to aid. The last beast dead, the elves raced out of the mouth of Angband, and drew to a halt in the courtyard before the Great Gate, in the shadow of the three peaks of Thangorodrim. Orcs innumerable manned the walls, yet like the elves their attention was fixed on something else.

He staggered out of Angband having somehow navigated the tunnels below without error and seeing the group of elves waiting for him, Maegwin laughed. One bloody hand clasped the broken blade that once sat atop the wooden spear shaft; the other hand clasped the shaft itself. He was pale from blood-loss and was five feet from the group of elves when his legs buckled under him and he fell to the ground. Thoron ran up to him and tried to raise the elf to his feet, but it was in vain. ‘What happened?’ he asked Maegwin.

The older elf smiled, ‘This moment had to come, yet I wished it had come later. The Balrog is dead, I its slayer, yet no body which can die – even an elf’s – can survive the exertion required to slay such a demon.’ He coughed and something red ran from his mouth. ‘You must lead them now, young Eagle, go south and follow the River Sirion until it flows into the Forest of Doriath, there you shall meet the King of those woods and he shall guide you further.’

‘No! You can survive this,’ Thoron said defiantly.

‘Yes, I can, and I will, but not in this body, not as Maegwin. Thoron, before I go, I must tell you this,’ and he leant swiftly forwards, such that his cold lips almost touch Thoron’s ear, he whispered: ‘Thalion was not your father; you were conceived by a Vala, by me.’ Suddenly his body – his vessel –spasmed and from it spread a thick mist of silver sparks. Thoron retreated as the mist shrouded the body, as the mist spread . . . and then as it receded. Then from the heart of the cloud of light the Eagle rose up, flapping its great wings as the last of the mist formed the last few feathers of its tail. There was no body, no vessel for the God, only a few specs of faked blood remained. The Eagle sounded a cry, cold and piercing to the orcs on the battlements, warm and beautiful to the ears of the Elves. It soared up to the heavens and was lost in the cloudy sky.

‘Manwë, he was a Vala all along,’ Terëon said in awe.

‘O! Why could he not have stayed a few moments more, now how do we fare against so many?’ came Calwë’s faltering voice, and each of them turned to see what troubled him so:

The Great Gate of Angband had been left open to welcome an oncoming orc army, and as the Eagle swooped through the skies, the orcs came to the brink of a nearby hill and looked down upon the party of Elves. Dinner come early, they thought.

Yet far above the Eagle that was Manwë swooped through the skies andfrom his heart glowed a light and warmth of such intensity that the orcscowered in fear.

And the elves ran, so much running, only just begun.

Chapter VI: An Audience with the King
    An Audience with the King

Smaller than Greenwood or Lórien yet far more majestic and beautiful to the eye, such was the forest of Doriath.

They were met by scouts where the River Sirion met the first trees of Doriath, three elves armed with hunting bows came upon them from out of the trees, demanding names and purposes.
    ‘Hail friends!’ Thoron greeted warily. ‘We are Noldor – from across the seas, sent here to talk with your leader, whoever he may be.’

Silence as the elves of Doriath regarded those of Aman with suspicion, then knowing no better they agreed to escort them to their sovereign.

They were guided to a small path through the trees, unnoticeable to an untrained eye. It snaked through the trees, shaded by the leaves and as they walked deeper the trees grew taller. Then at last the density of the foliage diminished for the trees here stood further apart yet were mightier by far. Thick trunks supported an immense height and clasping to their sides were elegant staircases winding upwards to great houses built amongst the branches far above.

Elves huddled in groups, conversing and singing and though they drew closer to the group of foreigners from across the ocean, the scouts leading Thoron’s party ignored them and hastened towards the greatest of these towering trees. The stairs spiralled up and up until at last Thoron emerged on a wide platform, an atrium of sorts with a throne ahead. From a room adjoining the atrium came the King, taller than any elf Thoron had ever seen and with long silver hair.

One of the scouts announced the party, naming them and describing their ambiguous purpose.

The King of Doriath heard the names and his eyes widened in surprise. He glanced at the scouts, thanked them, bade them depart and then once they had, he focused his attention on the Noldor from across the sea. ‘So it is as I was warned, from across the seas and through fire and darkness ye have endured and come to my domain. Come you must be tired and hungry, let me arrange a meal and lodgings, then I shall explain how I know so much about your quest.’

They sat around a long table, at its head the King of Doriath and beside him the dazzling queen Melian. A second seat remained empty for their daughter. The King was once named Elwë, one of the first elves who went as ambassador to the Valar. Yet when he returned he encountered the Maia Melian and fell in love, yet the two fell into an enchantment that they fashioned themselves and it was not until many years later that they awoke from it. Some of their people, the Teleri, had stayed to await this awakening and these now bowed down to Elwë, they named him King Thingol and in Doriath he ruled.

When the feast was near over, Thingol now spoke to them, ‘Two days past,’ he began, pausing until he had their attention, ‘I was visited in my sleep by Manwë – He I recognised from long ago when I went to Aman – He spoke to me of the evil in the north that was Sauron’s doing, and he told me of his plan to counter it. You were his plan.’

‘Us?’ Calwë asked bewildered.

‘Six elves of no apparent significance, yet each with his own particular skill crucial to the schemes the Valar plan for ye.’

‘What plan?’ Erist demanded impetuously.

Thingol sighed exasperatedly, ‘That shall wait till dawn.’

They resumed eating and, shortly after, a door creaked open and they turned around to see . . . perfection in female form.

Tall, slender, and all the curves of the river Sirion; long, sleek, dark brown hair; eyes to lose one’s soul in, a face to define beauty, a voice as smooth as satin – she was Lúthien, daughter of Thingol and Melian.

Chapter VII: The Plan
    The Plan

Dawn came yet under the thick foliage of the trees of Doriath, it was still night and, in this shade, they gathered.

Erist again demanded to know more of “the plan” and King Thingol complied, he spoke first of their situation, of the war long ago between the Valar and Melkor and how, with the elves awakening in Aman, the Valar sought all the harder to bring peace. He spoke briefly of how that war ended with Melkor’s imprisonment and how the Valar believed that they had succeeded in their task; yet Manwë now feared otherwise – particularly with Melkor’s release from his cage looming on the horizon like a storm-cloud. He had examined Utumno, Melkor’s first and greatest stronghold, yet found no sign of life, yet in a single sweep of Angband he had found that a certain fallen Maiar had been all too busy.

Thingol went on, ‘Manwë knew not if the evil lay in the new Lieutenant, Sauron, or if he merely obeyed orders from the caged Vala. Thus he decided to investigate deeper and to train a group of . . . well to train you, at the same time. To kill two orcs with one stone, so to speak.’

‘Train us how? Not just to be soldiers, clearly,’ Thoron said, urging Thingol to the point.

‘Manwë’s plan began with your birth, young Thoron; you are your father’s son in many ways as you are only just discovering. You were born to be a weapon of the gods, cruel to you maybe, but inescapable nonetheless. You were bred to be a leader of others, but to treat those who follow you as equals. You were trained to fight with the typical elven grace, yet learnt also the stealth of a being that can walk through a field of fallen leaves unheard. You were born, bred and taught the arts of not just any warrior, but that of a unique Order. An Order of similar individuals who shall, in time, learn selflessness, caution and camouflage. You all are destined to be Assassins, silent slayers of the servants of the Enemy, spies in night and daylight, elves who can wreak havoc with only a thrust of a blade – not by commanding an army to do so on their behest.

‘I have told you this much, and there I must stop, as Manwë commanded me. He now bid me tell you to go forth into the wide world and learn together, alone, the arts of such an Order and to thus develop your doctrine, your . . . Assassin’s Creed.’

Chapter VIII: Into the Wild
    Into the Wild

Dawn came and the elves gathered on the northern border of Doriath, Thingol accompanying them.
    ‘Where now do we go?’ Thoron asked, for he had not a clue.

‘It was Manwë’s request that I give you no further advice,’ Thingol said hesitantly, ‘yet I shall say this: If you seek to oppose the evil in the north, look to base yourselves where you can observe the comings and goings into Angband and oppose them, yet be unseen. Many caves lie in the mountains beyond the Pass of Sirion; in time I shall be able to lend you builders to construct a more worthy hideout. That is all I will say, go my friends and may the Valar protect you.’

In silence they ventured north, following Thoron simply because he walked that much faster than the others.

The last few weeks had been a blur of unbelievable tales and it was in a state of utter bemusement that they found themselves treading the untouched lands north of Doriath with no particular destination in mind. Nightfall came and they settled down around a campfire in the shadow of the Crissaegrim, silence broke, Calwë asking what they were doing in the wild, leagues from family and hospitality. Ëawis laughed, ‘We were given a mission, we all agreed.’

‘This “mission” seems rather permanent.’

‘Then go home,’ Ëawis replied.

‘As if that’s an option, there’s no ferry across the ocean.’

‘You could cross the Helcaraxë,’ Terëon joked, referring to the treacherous and impassable plateau of ice joining Aman to Middle-earth.

Calwë simply sulked and Thoron spoke up, quietly stating, ‘The Valar organised this, they must know what they’re doing, so trust in them. When all is established, go if you wish, but until then, I aim to do as the Gods commanded.’

For a few minutes silence resumed, then Ëawis asked, ‘Where do we go then? This pass would hold strategic value as a chokepoint defending the lands to the south, yet we are certainly too few to hold it.’

‘Indeed, we are too few and the pass is too wide, perhaps further to the north,’ Thoron observed.

‘But then we shall be on this Sauron’s doorstep!’ Calwë explained.

‘The last place he would look for us!’ Terëon said, laughing. ‘Thoron do you have that map?’

Rummaging around in his bag, Thoron pulled out a piece of parchment and stretched it out. It was from Thingol and badly drawn, contained no words at all for the alphabet of Rúmil had not yet reached the shores of Middle-earth. Nonetheless it portrayed a rough outline of the mountains, forests and rivers of Beleriand, a star marked the Forest of Doriath as the cartographer’s home. The north was almost entirely blank, for no elf – save for those with Thoron at that campsite – had ventured further north than the source of the River Sirion.

Each elf stared silently at the parchment as if willing the mountains to suddenly double in detail and reveal huge caverns. ‘There!’ Terëon exclaimed suddenly, yet instantly he saw the disadvantage of that spot and discounted it aloud: ‘No, no good.’

Yet Thoron, his eyes focused on a spot near to where Terëon had just indicated, suddenly realised that the map was portraying a pass over the mountains and into Hithlum, close to where Sirion was sourced. ‘Here,’ he announced, ‘where Sirion is birthed, that’s a pass drawn there, not some irregularity in the cartography. You said it yourself, Ëawis, holding a pass would have strategic advantage, and this one is narrow enough for us to defend.’ He paused and then looked up, ‘So what do you think?’

Chapter IX: Thoughts alongside Sirion
    Thoughts alongside Sirion

All in accord, they turned northwards and, days later, closer to journey’s end, Thoron’s thought on Thingol’s other words.

A Creed, a set of rules to follow, a mission, a goal. How would assassins help in this situation, an army yes, but a small group? “Assassins”, it was a word he had never heard of before yet somehow he knew what it meant – one who slays a figure of importance for gain.

So who was to die? Not Sauron, there was a figure who not even a Valar could slay (though in fairness Manwë had been in a lesser disguise), but others in his service? If he was breeding an army, then he had commanders, advisors and who knew what else. It was a start, perhaps overly-ambitious, but a start nonetheless.

Thoron stopped and turned around. The River Sirion, as wide as a garden pond, cut straight down the small valley and spread out at the Fen of Serech before snaking southwards, as wide as a country villa. It was a spectacular panorama, at his back stood the Ered Wethrin, tall dark mountains, impenetrable save for the single pass at Sirion’s source; and ahead of him the green fertile plains of Ard-galen were spread out as far as the eye could see. His companions were following not far behind and took advantage of his pause to halt themselves.

‘Come,’ Thoron said, ‘it will be night soon,’ and so they continued the climb up the grassy slope beside the trickle of Sirion.

As they climbed higher the ground became more rugged, the river – only a stream here – fell in brief waterfalls. Nonetheless Thoron easily found smoother routes upwards, coming at last to a small tarn at the foot of another cascade which was sourced from a cave high up in the mountain. Here too a gentle route was visible, continuing westward and over the apex of the mountain, a pass into the land beyond.
    ‘Where now?’ asked Terëon, now at Thoron’s side.

‘There,’ he replied, his finger pointing out the source of the waterfall, ‘the cave.’

‘I can barely make that out, but lead the way. It shall not be an easy climb.’

They navigated their way around the pool of water and Calwë, their finest climber, sought the way ahead; finding hand and footholds in the rock, he pointed these out to his companions and soon after they found themselves resting in the cave. It was dark but went deep and there was sufficient floor-space that wasn’t flooded with water.

‘This seems excellent, water and dry ground,’ Thoron said.

‘If you say so,’ Calwë grunted, settling down with discomfort.

Terëon laughed, ‘So what do we call this hidey-hole of ours?’

‘Eithel Sirion,’ Ëawis answered, translating as, Sirion’s Well.

Chapter X: Forging a Creed
    Forging a Creed

‘That’s ridiculous!’ exclaimed Calwë upon seeing the plan laid out upon the roughly drawn map of Angband.

They stood in the cave, using torches to illuminate the map. Thoron’s plan was not entirely thought through, relying on the positioning of guards which he could not determine until he saw the fortifications themselves. Nonetheless he was determined it would work, the group would split in two, four would create a distraction, the other two would ensure the kill was carried out. Deaths would be kept to a minimum, if they could fulfil the task without an orc dying then it would appear all the more that they had slipped in and out like shadows.

However the single objector was outvoted and encouraged to be part of the distracting group and, by midday, they found themselves within sight of the Iron Prison where Thoron and Terëon bade the others an uneasy farewell.

It was with even more trepidation than before that the two elves approached Angband’s south-western side where the gully ascended steep but traversable. They climbed slower too, fearful that they could be heard by the orcs on the battlements. Yet they reached the top without raising alarm and looked down on the same place where, not long ago, they had dealt Sauron’s guards the first blow. This time however they sought not to kill those on duty, and thus they waited for their distant companions to carry out their mission.

The wait was like an age and when it was over the distraction was not as impressive as intended. Distant but clear, the fire raged on the green fields of Ard-galen and the beasts manning the walls all momentarily had their eyes fixed upon the bright light far away in the dark of night. They skidded down the next slope towards the battlements and landed gracefully and silently; then they darted northwards, light-footed so that they could not be heard. As shadows in the dark, they slipped past the guards and through the same tunnel as before that led deep into Angband.

It was with relief that Thoron recognised the correct passageways from their last incursion and he strode so fast and purposefully that Terëon could hardly keep up let alone ask if they were going the correct way. Deeper and deeper until at last they found the route sloping steeply down to a doorway to a brightly-lit chamber. They moved cautiously to the side of the doorway and peered in – and instantly drew back their heads.

‘I thought you said this would be easy?’ Terëon whispered.

‘Not exactly, but I didn’t predict a whole army between use and the target,’ Thoron retorted, and then glanced back into the huge chamber which was wholly occupied by an army of orcs. ‘He’s in the centre, making a speech, rallying the troops.’ He glanced up at the ceiling, ‘there, there’s my route to him. Wait here!’

Suddenly Thoron darted through the doorway, the orc warriors showed him their backs as they focused on the figure in the centre of the room and so he turned and began to ascend the rugged cavern wall behind the army. Over twelve feet was the climb, and each handhold seemed harder to find, sharper on the hand, and each movement of his limbs sounded louder than the last. The cavern was near silent save for the voice of the target, he was one of the many fallen Maiar who had flocked to Melkor’s command, but far lesser to Sauron, far less potent… or so he hoped.

He moved to the left, to where one of many wooden beams stretched out from the rock wall. He pulled himself onto it and slowly moved across it to where it met a towering rock pillar supporting the ceiling, here he moved on to the next beam, and then onto the next after that, moving with growing confidence across the ceiling scaffolding until at last he was positioned above the target below.

The target’s loud voice boomed out some inspiring words to the orcs present, something along the lines of feasting on elven flesh, the finest flesh in Arda. Thoron paid little attention, though, to his words; as he moved along the beams he thought up instead his own order’s Creed, something to distract him from the possible fall. Three tenants he had in mind, the first, naturally, was never to betray a fellow; the second, naturally, was to never slay an innocent. The third, that he had more trouble with, but the answer lay in the art of what he was doing. Hide in plain sight. He felt reassured that the beams were high enough to be out of the casual gaze of an orc.

Now he glanced down, his target was motionless, still booming out some words of encouragement. Thoron readied his blade, a straight edged dagger which he had strapped to his wrist. He had some ideas for a more efficient design, but that could come later, first he needed to eliminate and escape.

It was with the grace of his namesake that he jumped from the beam, plummeting down and slamming into the target, blade first. The dagger plunged into the Maiar’s body with such speed and accuracy as to ensure the fallen being would not rise again. Thoron carefully closed the being’s eyes, murmuring, ‘Estë e’seere,’ rest in peace, before rising to his feet and turning to face his intended exit – and the wall of orcs.

There was stunned silence until… ‘Now!’ Thoron shouted suddenly and there was an almost silent whoosh as two small fragile phials were hurled through the air, swiftly followed by them both smashing to the ground. Two flashes blinded the orcs but keen-eyed Thoron was undeterred, shoving his way through the ranks, elbowing them all aside. He met with Terëon at the door and together they darted back up the tunnels, twisting left and right, until, finally, losing their way. They came to a dead end and the sound of pursuers close at hand, but Thoron spied the light creeping through a crack in the rock wall, ‘Here,’ he murmured, ‘a hidden door.’

His hand fumbled across the rugged wall, finding at last a crack with a lever within, he pulled it down and moonlight flooded the passage. They were out.

Chapter XI: Clawed
    Clawed

Thoron was bleeding.

The sleeve covering his left arm was in shreds as was much of the flesh beneath. His right hand clasped a crimson patch of cloth to his abdomen, hiding a wound beneath. Beside him, Terëon was near unscathed but weary from having to carry his companion from the mouth of hell that was Angband’s hidden postern gate. Only now had he let Thoron walk for himself, when the elf insisted he had the strength to do so.

‘Where now?’ Terëon asked, looking around for any sign of life. Ahead animals grazed, wild horses and cattle indifferent to the world about them; they alone were a reassuring sight, for few of nature’s beasts dared go closer to the evil of Angband. Yet still there was no sign of the other elves.

‘If we cannot find them,’ Thoron paused, breathing deeply and applying greater pressure to his wound, ‘then we go back to the cave and hope to find them there.’

‘As if you’re in any state to climb up there.’

‘No need, we shall make for Aman, for home.’

Hiding his satisfaction with the news, Terëon pondered, ‘Proving to be a bit much on you, this kind of life?’

‘We were unprepared, next time we will be better.’ Thoron gasped and fell to one knee, his good arm preventing him falling further. Blood was running down his leg he suddenly saw, and he ran his good hand up the leg to check for a wound. A small cut, nothing more, nonetheless he cursed, ‘damn that beast!’

‘What even was it?’ Terëon asked, helping Thoron to his feet.

‘Some corruption of nature’s wolf, no doubt,’ came Thoron’s uncertain reply as they resumed walking. ‘Wolves alone are dangerous, but that thing was twice the size and with double the ferocity.’ He massaged the wound to his abdomen with the bloody cloth and in his head flashed the image of the lengthy claws flashing in the moonlight, bloody claws raking at his arm, Terëon’s sword rising high, coming down. A final howl cut short. Then he remembered nothing, unconscious until now. He brought himself out of those dark reflections and looked ahead. ‘There,’ he said, pointing to a figure standing on the horizon, ‘we’ve found them.’

Behind them sounded a howl, a long, bloodcurdling call of the wild, terrifying to hear. They may have slain one beast escaping from Angband, but the pack remained, thirsty for revenge, and they had found them too.

Chapter XII: Wild Steeds
    Wild Steeds

They approached the elves with tameness Man would consider unnatural, their eyes observing those they had come to rescue with nothing short of curiosity. They were pitch black horses, strong from enduring the hardships of the wild and none of the comforts of a stable. Terëon helped Thoron onto a stallion and the injured elf gripped tight the wild steed’s mane. They used short strands of rope, gifted to them by Thingol to aid in climbing, as reins and then they were ready, and the wolves of Angband not far from their heels.

There was something calming about the presence of the elves to the horses, the steeds did not bolt or rear up in terror as the howls sounded, instead waiting for the spurring of two elven heels into their black flanks before they took off, galloping at a speed to match the wolves.

Looking back for the first time since the wolves were but dots on the horizon, Terëon saw at last that there was more than just shaggy dog thirsting for their blood. Orcs rode the beasts of Angband, dull rusting scimitars clasped in their gnarled hands. Better equipped with saddles, spurs and suitable reins, the orc riders were able to close the gap between hunter and prey. Feonos, Ëawis and Erist dropped behind, letting the others escort their wounded leader as they made to slow the wild wargs.

An arrow flew from the rearmost orc rider, missing Erist by an inch. The elf guided his steed to the left, evading a lone tree then circling around to come up beside the handful of mounted archers. Erist’s long sword sang in the wind, swiping towards the first archer and meeting, to the archer’s fortune, its hastily-drawn dagger. The elf guided his steed away from the reach of the dagger, then cut his lengthy blade down low. The sword slammed into the spine of the rider, arcing down then curving up and coming free at the belly of the orc. Rider-less though, the warg suddenly revealed its fury. Like an ill-treated dog strikes its master, the warg turned and pounced; jaws seizing Erist’s leg and some of the horse’s flank it forced rider and steed to the grassy ground. The sudden, violent impact shattered the elf’s leg, crushed beneath the weight of the steed. The horse itself panicked, whinnying it tried to escape the tangle of teeth and limbs … with far more success than its stranded rider.

Erist fumbled for his fallen blade, pain shooting up what little he could feel of his legs. The wolf pressed a paw to his breast, claws pressing deep as it rose above him. Two eyes of jet bore into the broken elf’s soul, a wet rubbery nose sniffed the succulent scent of ripe elf, and then it opened its mouth, revealing such remarkable fangs that, in any other situation, one would feel pressured to stop and admire them.

But the elf had found his sword; his fingers scrabbled at the hilt, drawing it closer to his reach inch by inch. The wolf raised its head in a triumphant howl, Erist clasped his sword at last in his pained hand, and a shadow passed over him. There was a flash of silver, the wolf’s head fell in a fountain of scarlet and a hand dragged his other hand from the ground at such rapid speed that he cried out as he was wrenched into motion. Someone, the one who had felled the warg, was dragging him in the wake of their steed, slowly and awkwardly trying pulling him up onto the horse. Suddenly the rider tugged Erist with such force that the elf was painfully catapulted onto the rump of the stallion, and there, unable to move, he remained.

At the head of the group, the elves found themselves joined by the fastest wolves. Seeing one orc charge to meet Thoron, Terëon kicked his heels into his horse and spurred it towards the beast. Duel blades drawn, Terëon struck the rider from behind with such force as to knock the orc from its saddle, then as the warg turned in retaliation he brought his second blade to meet it, thrusting it into its flank. With a howl it fell back and Thoron spurred his steed again to ride beside Thoron.

A bowstring sang as an orcish arrow was let fly and a moment later it whistled past Terëon, slicing through the skin of his arm as it passed. Terëon gasped in shock and leaned down over the mane of his steed, to make himself a smaller target. Beside him Calwë slowed his steed, allowing the orc rider to gallop to meet him. The warg saw the slow moving prey and pounced hungrily but at the last moment Calwë spurred his steed to one side, evading the wolf and bringing his sword down upon both orc and rider as it passed. Blood blossomed from the tangle of beasts, and Calwë accelerated into a gallop to rejoin the foremost elves.

The River Sirion roared its greeting as they reached its bank. They crossed it where they found it, where it was narrow and shallow, and then continued down its western side. The wolves followed too, yapping and howling, determined to give their prey neither rest nor relief. As one came up beside Ëawis, he elbowed its rider into the water then brought his blade down into the wolf’s spine, paralysing it. As it fell limp another took its place, already rider-less for Erist had severed the rider’s head from its body shortly before. As the warg made to lunge at his horse’s head, Ëawis pulled suddenly on the reins, and the warg’s lunge fell short. Ëawis thrust his weapon into the flank of the warg, pulling back his bloody blade only to strike again.

Wounded, the wolf retreated with an ear-splitting howl; the other wargs stopped despite their riders furious attempts to spur them onwards and hurled the orcs from their saddle before fleeing, tails between their legs. The elves, meanwhile, rode on; not stopping until reaching the southernmost point of the Pass of Sirion where they permitted their faithful steeds some rest and refreshment on Sirion’s banks. Soon though, they were off again, riding in the shadow of the peaks of Ered Wethrin, destined for the western shores of Beleriand and a lone ship waiting to return them home.

Chapter XIII: Return to Aman
    Return to Aman

‘Land!’ came the captain’s cry from the top deck and down below Thoron awoke, pale from blood loss.

He rose, almost falling as he found his footing, and it was as if drunk that he weakly stumbled his way to the stairs. The sea was gentle, yet the boat rocked with sufficient motion to make Thoron queasy, but nonetheless he climbed his way to the deck above where he found Erist lying inbed, conscious and pained, and by his side sat Ëawis.

‘You should be resting,’ the older elf said with concern but Thoron merely shook his head and sat down.

‘Could you ask the others to join us?’

Ëawis nodded and climbed up to the top deck, reappearing a moment later with the others behind.

It was with a curt nod that Thoron greeted them, whilst this mind turned over the words he had to say to them. Today they would dock in Aman and their group would be splintered, but only until he called them together again, or so he hoped. ‘Friends,’ he said at last, ‘it is now the hour for us to go our separate ways, and I suspect our time apart will be long and peaceful. It will be hard to return to this, but I hope you do. I will not ask for your decision now, but when the time is come I shall call upon you. Thank you, my friends, and farewell.’

That said he rose, turned and walked up to the top deck. He found himself steadier on his feet and as he emerged from the depths of theship the captain of the ship remarked that he was looking far healthier than whenlast he saw him. Thoron moved to the prow of the swan ship and leant on the rail,looking out over the unfolding panorama ahead of them.

They had passed the Enchanted Isles which lay to the east of the Blessed Realm and the ship was drawing close to the small island of Tol Eressëa. On its coast sat the city of Avallónë, composed of innumerable houses of chalk white stone. Two great arms of sturdy, weathered bricks reached out into the ocean, forming a man-made harbour protected from storms, and, in the embrace of the long piers, a fleet of majestic swan ships rested, as pearly white as the buildings of the city.

But all this paledin comparison to the light that the boat was now bathed in. For this was aworld without Sun and Moon, there was only the starlight and the light of theTwo Trees: Laurelin and Telperion. Crafted by the Valar, they emitted a spectacular light, gold and silver respectively; however the light which flooded Aman only touched Tol Eressëa, and left Middle-earth to be lit solely by the stars. Thus it was the first time since they abandoned Aman upon their expedition east that the elves gazed upon the light of the Trees, and it outmatched anything they had ever seen.

It was in Laurelin’s golden glow that their ship drew into the dock. Another pearly white port, Aqualondë, like Avallónë, had been founded by the Teleri when they desired to move closer to the Two Trees. As the ship drew up against the dock,the Captain lowered the sail and prepared the mooring rope whilst the elves gathered to leave. With Thoron leaning upon a staff and Erist carried upon a stretcher, they returned to the land they had missed for so long and there Thoron, Ëawis and Calwë bade farewell to the Teleri Terëon and Erist who resided there in Aqualondë, though not before promising to meet again regularly.

Chapter XIV: Upon the Road
    Upon the Road

It was in Telperion’s silver light that Thoron, Ëawis and Calwë set their eyes upon the City of the Noldor for the first time in what felt like years. Situated in the rugged pass of Calacirya that cut through the Pelori Mountains, the city of Tirion was a dazzling contrast to the rough hewn grey rock of the mountains which loomed above it. Pearly marble made up the many towers and houses which reached up for the skies, majestic trees rose up from the gardens and water ran in carefully crafted channels beside the streets.

The three elves, each upon a hired horse, stopped when they beheld the city, almost as if they had never seen it before. A convoy of wagons was winding its way along the wide road, the foremost cart disappearing into the mouth of the city’s gateway, farmers toiled in the vineyards on the lower slopes of the mountains on either side of the city and birds chattered in the many trees that lined the road. The three elves looked on in silent admiration, oblivious to the world about them.

‘Thoron?’ came a familiar voice and the young eagle tore his gaze from the fair city, looking instead at the rider approaching him from the west. At first he could make out little of the tall figure’s features, for the light of Telperion was in his eyes. Yet when his keen vision had swiftly adjusted, Thoron recognised the raven hair and fine features, the pale skin and those eyes, bright as if a flame burned within them. So bright.

‘Fëanor!’ he exclaimed, spurring his horse closer. The two embraced, as best they could when sat in saddles, then broke apart, looking at each other like long lost brothers.

‘Home at last, my friend? Who are your companions?’

‘Ye,’ Thoron replied and, turning to his fellow riders, he added, ‘Allow me to introduce Erist and Calwë, who travelled with me.’

‘Well met,’ Fëanor said with a curt bow, ‘how fared your journey?’

‘It was…’ Thoron paused, his hand resting upon his wounded abdomen, ‘eventful.’

Fëanor did not miss his young friend’s movement, noting also how he leant to one side in his saddle, ‘You’re hurt?’

‘A big… wolf,’ Thoron explained vaguely, ‘so, where to do you ride?’

‘Aqualondë, for supplies.’

‘Ah!’ Thoron smiled, ‘how fares your craft?’

‘Good, good… would you ride with me? We have much to catch up on.’

‘Sure,’ Thoron replied, before turning to his companions, ‘farewell my friends, though I shall see you soon.’

‘Farewell Thoron,’ they said.

With some reluctance, Thoron turned his steed away from the city of Tirion and began to ride back down towards the sea. ‘I’ve taken up lettering,’ Fëanor said as they rode.

‘Lettering?’ Thoron echoed.

‘I’m improving the Sarati, developing a finer, simpler yet more elegant form of calligraphy.’

His companion laughed, ‘I did not realise it needed improving. What else has drawn the mighty mind of Fëanor?’

‘Your orb.’ He reigned in abruptly, glanced about in all directions, and as the young Eagle also came to a halt, he announced, ‘I put some thought into it, and into your notes… Gods! How did you conceive such a thing? It took me a week at least to wrap my head about it.’

‘I ask myself the same thing, I swear I sat down after a night of heavy drinking with your brother.’

‘Half-brother,’ Fëanor corrected grimly.

‘You two still at odds?’

‘So yes, I was thinking about your orb…’ They rode on, Fëanor explaining his ideas, Thoron nodding and agreeing every so often. They entered Aqualondë as the light of Telperion was fading and there guided their steeds through the streets towards the marketplace. It was a lot quieter than when Thoron had docked there, the shops had closed and stalls no longer littered the streets, lights shone in the windows of the houses and coils of smoke spiralled up from the chimneys as people prepared their evening meal. In the marketplace few stalls remained and those that did were mostly packing up, but about the many taverns there were crowds of elves, rejoicing and singing, drunk on life and liquor.

The elves dismounted there, Fëanor going towards the last of the market stalls with the knowledge that Thoron would be resting in one of the taverns. As he dismounted, the pain in Thoron’s abdomen boiled up again, causing the elf to hobble over to the drinking house; inside a fire roared and, having bought a drink, he settled at an empty table for two beside the blazing heat. He took a sip, leaned back in his chair and exhaustion took him.

He was not aware of how long he slept, nor was he aware that someone seemed to have made off with his drink, he was instead conscious of only one thing. The woman’s screams. They took a moment to register and, having registered, Thoron remained bemused; yet, when the sleepiness that weighed down his brain had passed he leapt to his feet and acted as everyone else was by making for the back door, the source of the woman’s cries.

And there, on the cold grassy ground of the alley, lay a body and standing over it was the woman who had found it, now succumbed to sobbing. The elf was still warm, his eyes closed as if asleep; but it was the mark that was the worst of it, branded upon his naked chest like a farmer marks his cattle. A burn mark of some elaborate emblem, a sigil scolded onto his skin, a message, a warning.

It seemed familiar.

It came to him in a flash of recollections, the orc’s overseer and his bold words about feasting on elven flesh, the shock his face had shown as Thoron plunged the dagger in deeper and deeper, the way he had coughed and coughed, sending more and more blood running down his chin, onto his fine black tunic. And there on that tunic, stark crimson in a field of black had been the sigil, the same sigil that was now burnt into this innocent’s flesh:

A cross.

Chapter XV: The Roofs of Aqualondë
    The Roofs of Aqualondë

‘Who could do such a thing?’ one onlooker cried.

‘Who is it?’ asked another.

‘The tavern owner,’ one elf answered.

‘Look!’ cried one man, ‘he’s alive!’

‘He’s breathing!’ cried another and true enough the poor elf was not harmed, his breath rising slowly and irregularly, white in the cold night air.

And then someone shouted, ‘There he goes!’

Thoron’s eyes flashed up, following the announcer’s outstretched arm, pointing at a shadow at the far end of the alley and suddenly the mob was after him. Like a pack of hounds that has sighted the lone fox, the younger elves were after the distant figure in a flash. In a second, Thoron outpaced them all; the rush of events had seemingly deprived him of all his pain. The figure paused for a moment, staring at those who pursued him, then turned tail and bolted, acting all the more the guilty.

Reaching the alley’s end, Thoron turned right in time to see the figure ascending a stack of crates with curious dexterity before leaping across onto the canvas roof of a market stall. Thoron pursued eagerly, adrenaline surging coursing through his body, spurring him forwards; like a creature of the jungles of the south he ascended the crates before leaping to the stall’s canvas. The material flexed beneath his feet and for a moment Thoron feared it would not bear his weight. He did not give it a chance to tear, leaping free a second later and landing as his prey had done on an adjacent house roof. The terracotta tiles clinked beneath his feet as he hurtled across them, darting around a chimney then leaping the gap between one house and the next. Ahead his quarry dropped down off the roof but Thoron was going too fast to halt in time, jumping instead towards the next structure in his path: a towering mansion of whitewashed stone. He slammed against the building’s wall, hands gripping the windowsill above him, eyes searching for his prey. Having sighted his pursuer’s situation, the stranger had doubled back. Thoron cursed, took a breath, leaned back, and released the windowsill.

He surrendered himself to the elements, air rushing past him, cold and invigorating. The ground rushed up to meet him, and he landed, perfectly, in a thick garden bush. If only he had seen the thorns.

He rolled out of the shrubbery feeling like he had slept in a pincushion, and it was with some awkwardness that he resumed his pace. The streets he rushed through were growing dark, lit only by lights from within the houses and the occasional streetlamp, but still his quarry was visible in the distance: a black shape in the grey street.

As the prey darted down a side alley ahead, Thoron turned sharply, climbed an abandoned cart and then made to ascend the wall of a house. He reached the roof and proceeded in the rough direction that his quarry had been going in, sprinting again over the rattling tiles until he caught sight of the figure stopping for breath in the distance.

Calmly, Thoron slowed his pace, reaching for the dagger clasped to his belt; but as he drew closer his prey resumed its flight, sprinting towards the marketplace. Again, Thoron broke into a run, leaping onto a chimney before propelling himself over a street, onto the next roof. It was the last building before the open plaza of stalls and, three stories up at least, there was no easy way down. Almost despairing, Thoron’s eagle eyes fell upon a dark line of rope stretching between the chimney of the building he stood on and on the opposing side of the plaza, in a second a crazy idea formed.

He removed his leather belt, letting his sword and dagger-sheath fall at his feet before wrapping the strap around the rope and running off the edge of the roof. The looped belt struck taut and to his own surprise he found himself propelled forwards, rushing along the rope at a ridiculous speed. Without a moment’s thought put into its chances of success, there he was whooshing across the plaza, the wind raging at his victory!
    Behind him, the chimney supporting the rope surrendered to his weight.

Suddenly the rope was no longer taut and Thoron was falling, faster and faster. He heard the chimney explode into fragments and the sound of someone sprinting and suddenly he crashed into something solid but soft, something which buckled beneath his weight and struck the ground. Thoron caught a glimpse of black fabric, a flash of a silver dagger, this one stained with blood, and he acted instinctively, punching his fist hard and fast into the figure’s back, just below the ribcage.

The stranger cried out and Thoron wrestled him onto his back, pressing his dagger to the person’s throat. ‘Who are you?’ he demanded, ‘why did you do that to that innocent elf?’

He laughed in reply and it was chilling to hear, ‘to get your attention!’

Suddenly the figure’s fist slammed into Thoron’s abdomen and the elf rolled aside with a loud cry of pain. The stranger raised himself from the ground, slipping a small square of parchment into a pocket on Thoron’s robe before he dusted himself down, as calm as a tame garden bird, and strolled away.

Thoron made no effort to pursue, nor even to move; he lay there paralysed with pain as, for the first time since he tore his stitches sprinting down that initial alley, he felt the warm blood escaping his wound, running all the more faster since the assassin had aggravated it.

When Fëanor found him lying there, he was unconscious, lying in a pool of crimson.

Chapter XVI: The Scent of Home
    The Scent of Home

Thoron knew that smell. An indescribable scent, the scent of home.

His eyes opened to a blaze of white, a room bathing in golden treelight to which his eyes struggled to adjust. But when they did, the familiar features of his own room swam into sight. ‘He’s awake,’ came a voice, and shortly after he lost consciousness again.

When he next awoke it was night and his mother sat beside his bed, her head lolling in sleep. He made to sit up and felt sparks of pain ignite throughout his stiff limbs and aching abdomen, and so he lay back, hoping for sleep to wash over him, but he had slept enough. After a while he forced himself to sit, then to move his legs out of his bed, lastly to rise to a standing position. He did not notice the parchment envelope on his bedside table, slightly stained by his blood; instead, cold, he pulled on a tunic and walked out of his room, across the hallway and into the lounge. He pulled open the door to the balcony and stepped out, shutting it behind him and there, leaning on the balcony wall, he stayed till the golden treelight returned again to Tirion, the city standing tall and proud upon the hill of Túna.

Dawn came and with it the finest breakfast he had tasted in ages, followed by a visit from a physician commending his good fortune and forbidding him exercise. He cared not, vanishing to his workshop where he forgot about his finest design, the far-seeing stone, instead searching his imagination for fresh ideas, ideas about weapons.

At first he expanded on his blade-on-the-wrist idea, but then decided he wanted something… more. He thought of his experiences in Beleriand, the leaping from beam to beam, the scaling of walls, then last his thoughts turned to events in Aqualondë and his encounter with the rope over the marketplace, even though that had failed, a better means of navigating such a wire could come in useful in the future. Ideas forming, he set to designing what he had in mind, drawing upon a scrap of parchment a dagger sized weapon similar to a fisherman’s harpoon – a sharp tip with a hook lower down the shaft. His initial idea of hiding such a weapon in a wrist guard posed the issue of the blade being too long and the hook too obstructive and so he set about designing a retractable mechanism.

He finished his design by midday at which time he leant back in his chair and dozed. Hunger awoke him, as well as a desire to venture out into Tirion and find a metalworker’s shop. These were few in number in Aman and those that were there sold only farming tools and the like; yet upon request the blacksmiths would venture into the realm of weapon forging, an art they excelled at but, in such a peaceful world as this, seldom needed.

Leaning upon a staff to avoid putting pressure upon his wounds, Thoron made his way slowly to a familiar metalworker’s shop where he was glad to find it open for business. An old friend, the blacksmith was glad to aid him and a few hours and a packet of lembas bread later, Thoron departed the shop with a rudimentary design. He picked up a ball of strong thick thread on his way home where he finished the weapon, tying one end of the cord to the release switch, the other into a loop which he placed around his ring finger.

Finally, after perfecting the length of the string, Thoron flexed his palm back, stretching the thread taut and releasing the switch; the blade flashed out, sharp and shimmering in the dying treelight.

Chapter XVII: Night Messages
    Night Messages

The knock on Calwë’s door was loud and fast, waking the young elf from his slumber.

In frustration he wrenched open his door, thinking little of who in Aman would wake him at this hour. The figure waiting for him was silhouetted against a streetlamp and it was not until his eyes adjusted that he made out Thoron’s features.

‘Don’t you sleep?’ Calwë mumbled through sleep.

‘Sorry, can I come in?’

They sat down at the kitchen table with a steaming drink, Thoron took a sip and then slowly unstrapped his deadly wrist guard, placing it in the centre of the table.

‘A vambrace?’ he asked.

Thoron nodded and then leant over it, holding it steady with one hand whilst carefully stretching out the trigger cord. The hookblade shot out, flashing golden in the light of the candle, and Calwë jumped slightly in his seat.

‘What in the name of the Valar is that?’ he exclaimed.

Thoron explained everything. ‘Would you try it out?’ he asked in the end, adding as he patted his stitches, ‘no exercise for me, doctor’s orders.’

The night air was cold and bracing, as he stood upon the roof of his house he almost forgot being half-asleep.

‘This better work, because this is quite a drop.’

Thoron smiled, ‘If anyone can pull this off, you can.’

Calwë took a breath and dashed forwards, at the edge of the roof he launched himself into the air and for a short moment he was lost in that breathtaking freedom. Then reality hit him, he drew back his palm and the hookblade flashed out, he swung his arm overhead, the hook aiming for the roof tiles of the next building. The hook clashed against the tile and as Calwë fell down it scratched along the tile, catching at last upon the ridge of the next tile. Calwë’s arm was yanked painfully but there he hung before quickly ascending as not to risk the tile giving way.

Light-footed he dashed across the roof, hopping onto a chimney then leaping onto the next, a drop loomed up ahead and he threw himself forwards without consideration of whether or not he could make it. It was mercifully narrow and he landed easily on the neighbouring roof. He turned and dropped down off the roof, landing on a beam between two houses and leaping from that one onto the next, swinging on the following beam with his hookblade and landing gracefully in the street below. He paused, breathless but exhilarated, before jogging down the street towards home.

Satisfied with all that Calwë had to report, Thoron returned home. At dawn, he decided, he would set to work on it again for certainly there issues with the design: the hook was visible resting on the wrist guard, the mechanism had jarred once so he had to ensure that never happened again, and crucially he needed to find a stronger metal, one which would allow a finer, sharper blade and a stronger hook. What he had would do for the time being though.

Upon reaching home he lit a candle and rested it on the table beside his bed and it was not until he made to blow out the small flickering flame that he saw the letter that had been slipped into his pocket in Aqualondë. He examined the envelope carefully, noting the bloodstains and concluding that it had to have been in his robes when he was lying unconscious, his stitches ruptured, but that was about as much as he could discern from it. He remembered receiving no letter and could think up no reason as to why he possessed it and it was with this curiosity that he slipped his nail under the seal and gently opened the envelope. The handwriting was elegant, the parchment fine quality and upon reading it he felt a surge of optimism as he realised who had given it to him: the figure he had pursued.
    The Grove of Maidens, as the light of Laurelin embraces that of Telperion, in a week’s time.
    A place and a time, midday in a garden on the southern side of Tirion, but why did he want to meet him?

Chapter XVIII: The Grove of Maidens
    The Grove of Maidens

Thoron turned off the busy street, abandoning the throng of elves and cries of vendors, passing under a stone archway encased in ivy to enter the Grove of Maidens.

Tall hedges and patches of flowers encircled a small field of grass and at the far end a tall tree stood, in the shade of which a figure was shrouded as he looked out over a wall, into the valley beyond. Thoron approached him carefully, flexing his middle finger around which the cord of his hookblade was wrapped. He reached the tree and stopped.

Clad in black, he was one with the shade, but his hooded head, leaning over the wall to look upon the houses below, was caught in the treelight, spoiling his concealment. As soon as Thoron stopped, the figure spoke; he did not turn to look upon the elf behind him, instead blindly declaring: ‘Well met, Thoron, for a moment I feared you would not come.’

That voice… Thoron said nothing for a moment before stating coldly, ‘Skip the pleasantries and tell me who you are.’

Another laugh, though not as chilling as Thoron remembered for before he had been weakened from blood-loss, his mind in a state where the fairest voice could sound toneless and unsettling.

‘Is there something you find amusing? Perhaps what you did to that innocent in Aqualondë?’

‘Innocent. Did you not look into a single detail of that “innocent’s” life?’ With that the figure turned suddenly, looking Thoron in the eye, revealing for the first time his face: fair elven features, a long lock of unruly black hair resting on his cheek and piercing eyes within which a fire burnt. ‘He was a courier for them. I marked him a traitor to his race with a brand that will last him an eternity, sure he may not have been deep in the Enemy’s council, but aiding and abetting Melkor’s servants for pure greed is as great a crime as any. The brand was a warning, not to you, to them. They’re here, they’ve come to Aman. In some dark place in Tirion or Aqualondë or maybe somewhere else, they scheme to release Melkor the Black.’

Thoron said nothing, his mind twirling as he accepted this surge of information, and all the while his eyes were locked with those of the other elf’s, those eyes of fire. ‘Fëanor,’ he said at last, ‘this was all you?’

The other elf nodded solemnly, ‘Sorry, it was all rather spontaneous, I never expected you to follow me, and when you did… I could not let you unveil me there and then, what would you have thought! Your journey beyond the Sea must have changed you quite a bit…’ His eyes suddenly swept the scene behind Thoron and he added in almost a whisper, ‘don’t look now, but I think we have been followed.’

It was Thoron’s turn to laugh, turning and whistling loudly. Suddenly two elves came into the garden, Calwë dropping down from the roof, Erist emerging from behind a hedge.

‘A strange letter invites me to a private rendezvous; did you think I would turn up alone, my friend?’

Chapter XIX: The Chaining of Melkor
    The Chaining of Melkor

As they made their way from the garden to home, Thoron related at last the tale of their deeds in Beleriand, and when that was concluded, he asked simply, ‘So tell me, do you have any thought on how to find these servants of Melkor?’

Fëanor nodded curtly and pointed upwards to the great square at the peak of Tirion where the nobles gathered in council. ‘If they seek to release Melkor, they need to hold sway in the courts.’

‘Only Manwë will see Melkor freed and no elf could force him to that position,’ Calwë stated.

‘And what if all of Tirion wants to see Melkor freed? Who knows what tricks they have at their disposal; they could wash our minds of our senses and see us protesting before the halls of the Valar!’ Fëanor paused and said calmer and slower: ‘You tell me Manwë showed no love of Melkor; that Manwë had no trust for him and had knowledge of his lieutenant’s deeds in Angband? No, no my friends. In two centuries, Melkor will be free of his sentence and before the Valar he shall repent and apologise and grovel like the coward he is. Then once they pat him on the back and say how they shall all be good friends now, Melkor shall turn away and laugh at their naïvety. The Valar are all one family, and they shall look past Melkor’s faults and embrace him as their brother. The servants of Melkor need make no plot, but we shall stop them nonetheless.’

Two Centuries… once, it had been three Ages, but now most of that time had passed. As Thoron slept that night he visualised in his mind’s eye events that long ago had come and gone. He saw a naked people waking beside a quiet lake, their ears pointed and their minds without knowledge of the world about them. They were a happy folk, these newborn elves, loud with the joys of laughter and friendship.

And it was then that they were found. He came from out of the mists – be it Him himself or a merely a servant of His majesty – and the newborn elves felt a shadow fall upon their happy hearts. But He told them of His might and offered to them the hand of friendship, speaking of the dangerous world into which they had awoken, and this Black Rider warned them of the White Rider, who would come with false promises of a distant world of beauty. This he warned was a lie, and thus departed.

And then the White Rider came, Oromë the Vala, and he invited the elves to Aman, to a better world and many followed. But some did not, some turned to the Black Rider, and they never saw the light of the Trees, nor did they ever see light again. Melkor took them, Melkor tortured them, Melkor made them orcs.

Thoron saw all this and more, he saw the War of the Powers, he saw the might of the Valar and their fury before the gates of Utumno, he saw them cast down the walls of Melkor’s fortress and storm the many dungeons deep, until at last the Vala known as Tulkas met with the downfallen Vala that was Melkor, hiding in his throne room. The fight was brief, a clash of steel and a blaze of light and fire, and in the end Melkor was hurled to the ground, his face sullied in the grime of the floor, and his body wrapped in the great chain known as Angainor. And thus he was sentenced to three Ages in the Halls of Mandos, a place not even a Vala could escape.

And the Valar abandoned the ruins of Utumno, knowing not of the deeper dungeons where Sauron and the other servants of darkness hid.

It was then that Thoron awoke, not lying in bed as he had been, but slumped in his workshop chair, the palantír before him, its light fading.

Chapter XX: A Fresh Trail
    A Fresh Trail

They watched incessantly, but nothing came. If the foe schemed, they never brought them into clear act, if they spread discontent, the people never voiced it, if they even existed, they did not show it. Yet the watch went on, be it a daily visit to the courts to hear tale of matters arisen or be it a nightly drink in a corner tavern, but over fine wine no rumours arose, no secrets told. Thoron buried himself in his designs, the others in training or studies, Fëanor though busied himself more with his work of letters, his script nearing perfection. Years passed, such were little to the people of Valinor, the never dying, what is a day to people facing eternity?

And then something changed: a chance conversation in the docks of Aqualondë told of a captain and his ship hired for a short journey – yet neither had been sighted since. Those who had paid for their voyage had long since vanished over the horizon, but the property which they had abandoned had not and when the light of the Trees was at its lowest, Thoron and Fëanor found themselves on the wrong side of a forcefully opened door, using as little candlelight as they dared to survey the rooms within the house. Dust and grime only added to the gloom inside, the whole house had never felt the touch of a cloth nor of a wet mop on the floor but despite its state the two elves searched thoroughly, yet found nothing.
    ‘What now,’ Fëanor pondered when they emerged, brushing dirty hands on their robes.

‘I shall look into the palantír,’ Thoron replied absentmindedly, ‘no, no I will not. I shall rally the others, we’ll hunt them across the sea, and hope for tracks to follow on the other shore.’

Fëanor nodded but said, ‘Then I wish you luck my friend, but I cannot come with you, yet if there is anything you would ask of me beforehand then I hope I can help you so.’

‘I understand and yes, there is one thing I would ask, namely this.’ Thus said, Thoron took from somewhere in his robes the black orb, the mysterious palantír. ‘Take this, unfinished as it is, but you did talk of many great ideas whilst my mind can think of none. All my notes are at my workshop, feel free take them as well, there your skill exceeds my own by far. A word of caution though, do not gaze to often into it, it has some addictive quality I swear!

‘Now I must be gone, else I lose their trail forever,’ Thoron turned to walk down the street but stopped, adding to Fëanor, ‘Should you ever choose to make the palantír known to everyone, swear to never reveal my name as their creator, no, do not even mention me at all, you can take that honour should you choose. It never really was mine to begin with, the gods gave me the idea I swear! Namárië, Fëanor.’

The sea roared about him, coughing up an icy spray of salty water into his face as he looked out over the prow. It was just over thirty years since last he had taken this voyage, guided by a god that time, instead of naught but the hope of tracks on the other shore. They had infiltrated the Iron Prison itself, once slaying one of Melkor’s foul demons, the second time slaying a fallen Maiar as he rallied the armies of Angband. In Beleriand Thoron had met with the King of Doriath, Thingol; he had glimpsed also the astounding beauty of Lúthien, his daughter. Lastly they had founded a base of sorts, where Sirion began in the mountains, it was merely a cave yet, as with many things, Thoron had grand designs for the place. He required only a fine architect and others to help build the place.

The shores of Beleriand stretched across the horizon, the rugged mountains in the north were but a blur of grey and the beaches a smudge of tree-lit gold. Thoron looked back, the Undying Lands had long since vanished over the horizon but the treelight remained, fading though, soon it would be gone, leaving only the stars in the sky. The other elves were gathered on the deck, Terëon looking out with Thoron towards Beleriand, Calwë, Feonos and Erist looking back as if their eyes still searched for their homeland. Ëawis leant against the mast, eyes closed as if asleep, let Thoron recognised him to be deep in thought.

‘What if they are merely returning like dogs to their master?’ Terëon asked.

Returning his gaze to the east, Thoron replied, ‘we’ll hunt after them, and do our best to stop them. There’s a fair chance, but I do hope and think that they aren’t returning to Angband. It must be something important to return them to Beleriand and I doubt it to be just because their master desires them to report in.’

Terëon nodded and leaned forwards, eyes transfixed on something ahead. ‘Is that…?’

‘A ship,’ Thoron finished for him, his words loud and stirring all from their thoughts. ‘Captain, make for it, at once!’

The sighted ship was moored offshore, large and cumbersome the vessel had been forced to anchor quite far from the beach, a small rowing boat became visible as they drew closer, abandoned on the sands.

‘Its sail is down, I would have said we are but half a week behind them, yet why does this ship wait?’

‘I don’t think we’ll like the answer,’ Erist said, his demeanour pessimistic, as it had been ever s
    ince he recovered from the wound to his leg, given to him by a warg of Angband.

Eventually the two ships came alongside and the sight laid out before them was much as Erist had feared. The corpses of crew and captain were laid out on deck, the rough wood floor crimson with blood. The captain had fared the worst, hung from the mast, throat slit – but that was the last of many wounds received. Thoron and his companions scoured the ship briefly, finding little, and it was with eagerness that they disembarked. Yet Thoron refused to leave it as it was, commanding his captain to move his own ship away from the vessel of the dead, then Thoron took a flaming torch and cast it onto the deck of that other vessel, marred by blood and murder. The flame was slow to spread, yet when it did the pyre was dazzling, flames lapping at the blood like hungry dogs, devouring the flesh like a ravenous orc, engulfing the ship like a mighty wave.

Thoron bade farewell to the captain, and bade him return in a month for the second half of his fee and, should he find not the elves waiting, return again every month until he did. The captain promised he would, and that was that.

Chapter XXI: Blood Before the Trees
    Blood Before the Trees

‘Footsteps,’ Feonos announced, his finger indicating the shoe-shaped patch of flattened grass and rain-drenched soil.

‘If they’re without steeds we’ll swiftly catch them,’ Terëon stated, pulling himself up onto his horse. They had each bought a steed back in Valinor, and the captain had charged them even more heavily than the horse dealer to have the steeds stored below deck to bring to Beleriand. The frightened animals had raised an outstanding racket of whinnying when the seas grew rough, and were hardly quieter when Ulmo calmed the waves. When brought ashore they made to bolt from the thunder of waves rolling ashore, yet elves seldom fail in calming animals and they swiftly permitted them to mount up.

Thus, the company of six abandoned the seas, riding swiftly after the trail of muddy footsteps. It was no easy feat, the light of the trees did not stretch this far east and thus under starlight alone their eyes struggled to make out the trail. It ran as straight as the terrain permitted, vanishing in the water of the rivers Narog and Teiglin, yet not turning north towards Ard-galen as was expected. Their quarry sought not a return to Angband, but to someplace else, someplace to the east. The tracks cut straight towards the Forest of Brethil – westernmost of the woods which made up Doriath. Yet where the trees rose up, under shadow of thick green leaves, the tracks turned away, as if some force kept them back. Ultimately though, when they reached the roar of the River Sirion, just north of the tree-line, the tracks vanished into the water and did not reappear on the other bank. The days of rainfall before their arrival in Beleriand had long since ended and the tracks had long since been fading. They made camp that “night” – night being decided in a starlit world only by how weary those travellers were – on Sirion’s eastern bank, and they awoke to find themselves surrounded by figures aiming arrows at the spot between their eyes.

There comes a time when curiosity overwhelms, when the knowledge of a world beyond one’s own becomes too much to ignore, and the desire to escape, to venture forth, to explore, becomes ever so present in one’s mind.
    There comes a time to take up one’s tools, to ready weapons for whatever could lie beyond one’s rugged walls, to break down the barriers and escape.
    That time was coming…
    …and ever so soon.

King Thingol was agitated. Beyond his wall of trees the world was stirring, something stirred in the ground, and he feared for the worst. So much blood, was more to be shed?

It was in that state of mind that the trespassers were presented to him. They were weary in appearance, haggard from long rides, little sleep and the ropes which bound their wrists, but their faces familiar nonetheless.

‘The guards of Doriath seem to find you too often wandering as if lost near our trees, can you not bear to abandon the sights of my Kingdom that you return here so frequently?’

With a curt laugh, Thoron answered, ‘I’m afraid not, sire, this time I sought not your council – much appreciated as it was – nor your cities beauty; rather I set my eyes on a different prize, which unless you hindered them as you hindered us, now wanders somewhere in Beleriand in some place which I cannot describe.’

Thingol’s face darkened suddenly and there was bitterness in his tone when he said, ‘Oh we hindered them, and they us in return. Blood shed before the trees of Doriath, each elf of that patrol butchered like cattle save for one who survived his wounds for long enough to tell the tale.’ Thingol turned away from the others, looking out of the great window in his hall. ‘You know then, I presume, of who they were, of their motives and what drove them to such evil?’

‘Servants of the Enemy, Melkor accused. The Valar may not like me to name him so, brother that he is to them, but Enemy he appears to be despite his ties to them. Their purpose I cannot say, we’ve followed them from Valinor and found the ship they hired to bring them here a pyre of the dead. They know no mercy and if you have any knowledge of their whereabouts I beseech you to let us go after them and finish this bloody business.’

‘Guards!’ Thingol shouted when Thoron had fell silent and in a flash a group of elves appeared, heavily armed, weapons unsheathed. ‘Put away your swords unless they be drawn to unbind these elves.’

One elf spoke, ‘Sire?’ his manner was doubtful, suspicious, his eyes wary. Thoron saw it in all their eyes: an apprehension inspired no doubt by recent events.

‘No need to worry, captain, these can be trusted. Does Eöl still follow the trail of those who attacked our patrol?’

‘Yes, sire.’

Thingol turned to Thoron, ‘When we heard of the attack, we ensured those responsible did not escape. Yet rather than slaying them, we chose to follow and uncover their purpose.’

‘A wise move, can we be guided to this Eöl?’

‘I shall send with you one who can easily find the route of Eöl, a kinsman of mine who at this moment pursues the foe. May your journey bear the fruit of vengeance and may the Valar ride with you.’

Continued in post 2

The Codex of the Eagle

The Elves
    • Maegwin (May-gwin)
    • Thoron
    • Terëon (Teh-ray-on)
    • Calwë (Kal-way)
    • Feonos (Fee-on-nos)
    • Erist
    • Ëawis (Eee-ay-wis)
    A Brief Timeline

First Age

4669 - Birth of Fëanor. Rúmil invents writing.
    4690 - Fingolfin born.
    4696 - Meeting of the Valar, conception of Thoron.
    4697 - Birth of Thoron to Iriel.
    4715 - Thoron becomes Fingolfin's Squire.
    4717 - Thoron "invents" palantír and, late in the year, departs with Maegwin for Beleriand.
    4750 - (circa) Thoron departs again to Beleriand.

Last edited by Inarus; August 30, 2012 at 07:40 AM.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus

Book I: The Tale of the Rift
    (Continued)
    Shadows over Valinor

Chapter XXII: Cracks in the Stone
    Cracks in the Stone

Escape in mind, they looked back upon the beauty of their halls, but it was the light from above, from the cracks in the stone that engaged the curiosity of those who sought to go forth and explore.

And with escape in mind, their toil began and the air did ring with the sound of metal upon stone.

The elf sat peacefully atop his horse, eyes transfixed upon the sky above. He had heard tale of the wonders of Valinor, the beauty of the Trees, the light of the Land without Death, yet the tales inspired within him no lust to see them for his own eyes, nor desire for a world of light. He found comfort in the eternal night, lit only by a thousand stars or within that greater darkness: beneath the densest of trees or the deepest of caves, many of which his eyes had seen. He was an adventurer at heart, one who seldom stayed in a single place for long.

He tore his eyes from the beauty above, the sky illuminated by dots of white light, like snowdrops on a canvas of jet. Instead he looked upon his quarry, a small company of murderers, wandering afoot and at a remarkable speed for ones without steed. Never tiring, never making camp.
    It was out of the corner of his eye that Eöl spied the others approaching him. Seven in number, but only one he recognised and he merely a tracker from Doriath. ‘Eöl,’ this tracker greeted, ‘well met. I bring to you those who hunted your prey before you laid eyes on them, they come from Valinor. This one is Thoron, their leader.’ At that, the tracker bade farewell and rode home, leaving Thoron’s party alone with Eöl.

‘Can you make them out over to the east? There’s just over half a dozen in number, walking swiftly through the valley.’

Thoron looked to where Eöl indicated, his eyes swiftly picking out the moving figures standing out against the peaceful landscape.

‘I have been on their tales for several days now; I hope you do not plan to end this pursuit here and now with steel?’

Spurring his horse to a trot, Thoron shook his head. ‘No fear, my intentions are much as your own, to follow them until their destination, only then will we end their existence and avenge those they slew.’

Eöl nodded curtly and said little more. They rode silently after that, until at last Calwë spoke up, cursing the perpetual night to the effect of: ‘I can’t make out a bloody thing.’

‘One’s eyes grow accustomed to seeing without a blaze of light and there is something ever so peaceful about the dark,’ Eöl murmured.
    ‘Yet the splendour of stars is naught in comparison to that of the trees, that light is truly beautiful, particularly when the gold and silver light shines as one.’

Eöl snorted derisively at Calwë’s comment whilst Ëawis joked, ‘I’d wager our companion cares little for your trees Calwë, Eöl would rather favour the depths of Angband.’

‘Orc pits, no, but the depths of the earth have astounding appeal in one place in this world, the depths of the halls of the Gonhirrim.’

The Assassins exchanged looks and Thoron spoke their silent question, ‘I believe I speak for us all in saying we do not know these people,’ he paused. In Valinor the elves spoke Quenya, yet over here in Beleriand the tongue of the elves who had not seen the light of the Trees was Sindarin, and though highly similar in some respects, oft some things were lost in translation. Thoron broke up the words: ‘These “Stone Lords”, who are they?’

‘Craftsmen,’ Eöl answered with a smile, ‘some of the finest I have ever seen in my long travels, ‘No elf I know has ever encountered them and in their ignorance, elves think themselves the sole beings here. Yet in the depths of the ground the Gonhirrim toil at rocks, hungry for jewels and metals, which they work into the most marvellous of items. I doubt others would find their company to their liking, the language of these folk is hard on the soft elven tongue, their stomachs desiring strong ales rather than fine wines. Yet their company is of better humour than that of the stern elven table manner, where a joke is like to cause more frowns than mirth! Perhaps one day the folk of Durin will stray from the darkness underground, yet they, much like I, prefer it down there, this world of elves is far too bright!’

‘How far is it to this land of Stone Lords?’ pondered Thoron, ‘I’m in need of such craftsmen myself.’

‘You look too young to have made the journey from Cuiviénen, so I doubt you know of the range of mountains I will speak of: those peaks, towering tall to the east, those that our prey do approach, those are the Blue Mountains, yet the Gonhirrim reside in the range beyond that, the Misty Mountains, in a realm they name Khazad-dûm.’

‘Truly, that name does not come easy to the tongue,’ Calwë laughed.

Thoron searched again for their quarry, his eyes sighting them in the far distance, ‘Look! They are no longer moving and, if my eyes do not deceive me they’ve raised a fire and are making camp.’

‘Curious,’ Eöl said, ‘we ought to then do the same – save for the fire, and I ought to stand guard. Thoron, would you be willing to be on watch after myself, so that I may have some rest?’

‘Certainly,’ came his reply and thus they proceeded to make the best of the rough ground. With the horses restrained, Thoron and his fellow Assassins let sleep take them.

The hand that woke Thoron was rough and vigorous in doing so, shaking his shoulder as if trying to wrench it from the socket. Eöl was speaking urgently in his ear, words that should form an important sentence if only his head was not so muddled with sleep. He sat up, rubbing sleep from his eyes, and it was then that it hit him – Eöl’s palm hard across his cheek – and the realisation that there was a fire now lit and shadows dancing about it.

‘They’ve come, they’re attacking, and by the Valar they moved faster than anything I’ve ever seen! Seize a torch and hope it keeps them at bay!’

The seven elves formed a ring, the fire blazing in their midst and about them, the spawn of Sauron. They merely circled for now, as if striving to instil fear into the hearts of their foes yet Thoron faced them with not a doubt in his mind of his courage – yet he hoped his companions shared such views. The first sword came rushing from the shadows, cold metal lunging for Thoron and in a flash his hookblade emerged from its sheath, the curved metal swiping the blade aside. As the blade was deflected, Thoron’s left hand swung up, a second blade emerging from his wrist as it swiped across the breast of the shady figure before him. Warm wetness spattered across Thoron’s skin and with a shriek the figure retreated from reach, for Thoron dared not leave the circle.

Suddenly the foe attacked as one, each elf responding with cold steel. Some Assassin’s wielded their wristblades, but most preferred the weapons they were most accustomed with. Terëon’s two shortswords met with his opponent’s one with such force as to disarm the figure there and then, but when head came flying from shoulders that figure was replaced by another. Thoron’s opponent seemed no weaker despite the wound, attacking with cold ferocity that would not abate. Then suddenly one strike came down too hard on his right hookblade, sparing the hook itself yet striking the dagger in two and almost taking half the Assassin’s fingers with it. Thoron reeled from the attack but the foe took the action for submission and lunged too eagerly for a kill. Thoron dived aside, almost crashing into the legs of a companion, and turned back to his foe, his sword now in hand and thrust towards the oncoming foe. The enemy took the blade in its chest and when it came out its back it looked determined to fight on, yet Thoron twisted the blade free and it could take no more.

Eöl found himself on the ground, knocked there by a powerful blow of a mace. The foe towered above him, intent on bludgeoning him there and then, yet he rolled aside and the mace struck soil. Swiftly the elf rose and as the enemy strove to strike again, Eöl leapt atop of it, hurling both himself and the foe into the fire. Flames snapped hungrily at the fabrics of their clothes and as fire found flesh, the foe fought to free itself from the devouring tongues. In its desperation it never saw the dagger lunging towards its heart, and if it had one, it was struck a fatal blow. Eöl rose, turning his dagger on the foe that oppressed Feonos, thrusting it into the being’s back whilst the other Elf drove his blade across the thing’s throat. Blood gushing, it fell to the cold earth.

As each elf freed himself from his opponent, they rounded on those assaulting their friends, and then the foe fell easily. Yet with the last standing stout against seven, they implored it to yield, yet it was not inclined to reason and a blow from a stolen mace knocked it to its back. They stood over it, each pressing a blade to its flesh. ‘Where were you going?’ demanded Erist, ‘who are you? Who do you serve? Tell us!’

Silence answered and then they ensured its shrieks answered.

‘Where were you going? Who are you? Who do you serve? It will only get worse.’

Not a word, yet this time its screams were louder and colder to the ears.

‘Where were you going? Who are you? Who do you serve? You cannot endure much more, speak and be free.’

Was that sound that followed a whimper? Doubtless, it became another ear-splitting, gut-wrenching agonised cry.

‘Where? Who?’

It was all that was need to be said and the thing beneath their feet could certainly take no more, merely the touch of steel to its breast was enough.

‘Dolmed,’ came its reply, ‘it’s all I know.’ Were those four words a plea, or did it just desire four more seconds to live before it seized one of the swords at its chest, and pulled itself onto it.

Their path ended at Dolmed’s foot. It was a tall mountain, part of the range of the Blue Mountains. It’s peak was rounded, its steep rugged sides dotted with splotches of grass. Here the elves dispersed, each searching for the thing their foe had hunted, yet what they could not say. As Terëon, Erist and Ëawis scoured the west slope, and Feonos, Eöl, and Calwë climbed the pass and searched the east slope, Thoron ascended the peak itself, yet each searched without avail. When Thoron reached the peak in one distant corner of the world, the treelight was fading. The day had been long; the journey hard, the search without fruit, and at the mountain top Thoron was losing hope of finding anything. He lost himself in the moment, the strong cool breeze on his neck, the finest view he had ever beheld: to the west the trees of Doriath spread out across the horizon, whilst to the east Eriador opened up to him, with rolling hills and tall trees, all quiet yet full of potential. The wind settled, and it was then that he heard it, a sound, a distant ringing.

He descended, tired and cautious on the treacherous slope; as it grew steeper, scree became more common and his feet struggled to maintain their hold on the loose debris. Then his feet fell awkwardly on the scattered stones and fragments of slate, and he lost grip altogether.
    He skidded over the edge, broken hookblade flashing silver in the starlight as he swung it at the rock face. The hook snagged on stone, the metal upon stone ringing loud, and there Thoron hung, his army feeling as though it was yanked from his socket.

That descent was certainly swifter than the climb, but when he rejoined his company of elves his thoughts had wandered to that sound he had heard atop the mountain, the sound not unlike that of hookblade metal striking mountain stone. He heard it even now.

‘There’s a sound,’ he said quietly, ‘a chime of metal, do you hear it?’

And even as he spoke, the noise grew louder and faster, almost as if it were right beside them. All of a sudden, Erist raised his hand to his head in alarm, a fragment of rock had fallen at his feet yet the elves paid it no attention. Instead they each turned around as one, their eyes transfixed on the visage before them: as the mountainside was rent apart and a horde of the smallest and most curious looking people emerged from the blackness within, armed with blunted picks, their arms raised to shield their eyes from the blinding starlight.

Chapter XXIII: Of the Coming of the Dwarves
    Of the Coming of the Dwarves

The figures before them were, tall, at least double the height of the Khazâd people and their faces bare of beards; their ears were pointed too, but it was the weapons on their backs or at their side which drew the attention of the Khazâd. They saw these tall folk and knew not what to expect; as soon as their eyes, long grown used to the darkness of the underground, sighted them in the blinding starlight, they raised their picks or axes defensively, some wielded smaller throwing weapons whilst others huge battleaxes, and thus it was that the dwarves of Belegost and Nogrod met the elves of Doriath.

It was Eöl who first approached the dwarves and to his tongue came words learnt from his time with Durin’s folk in Khazad-dûm. They were harsh words to the soft ears of the elves, using sounds conjured with bile from the back of one’s throat. The tongue that Eöl spoke had been born countless leagues to the east, yet the folk of the Blue Mountains comprehended each word perfectly – struggling perhaps with the elf’s accent.

Yet as he spoke, the dwarves lowered their weapons and under those shaggy beards their apprehension transformed into a look almost of optimism. Eöl ended his speech and the little figures exchanged looks, until, as one, their ranks parted and to the foreground there stepped a dwarf clearly of great importance. His armour was forged as if by the gods themselves, his helm was made of sturdy iron with a fearsome mask covering his face, yet though all the other dwarves bore such masks, perfectly crafted to match the face below, his was far finer in appearance, details highlighted in copper, making his crafted eyes, his engraved hairs and above all, his beard, shimmer in the starlight and appear ablaze.

His voice rumbled from beneath the mask, yet was not muffled, rather it was enhanced by the mask. ‘Greetings, tall strangers,’ he said, Eöl translating for his companions, ‘you find yourself before the doors of the Dwarven Kingdoms of the Blue Mountains, but I ask ye what brings ye unbidden to our doors, particularly at this momentous time when our people venture out from beyond our walls? I pray you tell us more, about how you come to speak our tongue despite no dwarf of Belegost or Nogrod having ever met your fair kind, at least not to my knowledge.’
    Sparing details, Eöl explained: ‘We are elves, I myself from the fair Kingdom of Doriath, yet my companions come from far further west, from across the wide seas that part this continent from the deathless lands of Valinor. Our company came here, to this location, part by words suggesting something occurring in this area – what we could not precisely say – but mostly happenstance and by good fortune guided us to this point.’ Lastly, knowledge of Khuzdul comes solely to my lips for I alone of my companions have encountered a group of Khazâd, many leagues from here, under the mountains of mist who were willing to share their language with me, and learn mine too.’

‘You then have behind the sights of the Mansion of the Dwarves and spoken with Durin’s kin?’

‘Indeed, my friend, Khazad-dûm flourished when last I saw it – which was not too long ago – their mines are grander than any I have seen, their halls more expansive than anything which I have ever laid eyes upon. Durin, too, sits still on his throne, healthy, even ageless with the beard of a dwarf half his age.’

‘Durin, the first of his name?’

Eöl nodded.

‘This is magnificent news and I am glad to hear of Durin’s health. Now, come, honoured guests, your eyes have yet to behold our cities and your feet have yet to tread upon dwarven stone. Follow and let your eyes feast upon the wonders beneath the mountain of Dolmed.’

‘Is this wise?’ pondered Calwë, after Eöl finished translating, ‘what if this is a trap, for we do not know these creatures.’

‘Afraid of the little people, Calwë?’ mocked Erist, ‘or do you find these children’s beards frightening?’

They followed the apparent leader of the dwarves into the darkness. Gonhirrim busied themselves on the rough-hewn walls of the tunnel, chiselling away at the rugged stone and casting curious glances as the tall folk passed by. The elven company found the route awkward, frequently crouching under the low stone roof. Their guide apologised for the tunnel height. The tunnel cut straight as an arrow through the mountain, descending at one point before reaching an intersection. There they turned left – north towards Belegost. The tunnel they followed from there was equally straight yet where the other’s walls were rough and natural, these were smooth and carved to perfection. Carvings composed of precise straight lines adorned expertly carved pillars which supported decorated ceilings; a doorway loomed ahead, small yet it served to restrict the view of the beholder’s eye, which looked through the small doorway and saw the world open up. From such a tight and restricting corridor the dwarven world became a huge antechamber, to the elves it made them feel tiny and Thoron could only imagine its impact on these little folk. The ceiling was high above, unsupported and composed of stone beams upholding deep coffers. The walls were plain save for windows composed of tight tunnels which reached up to the surface of the world and channelled down starlight through surfaces which had been polished until they shone. As the starlight reached the end of the shaft, the tunnel splayed out, spreading light throughout what otherwise would have been a dark chamber. There was but one other route from that entrance hall, straight ahead, towards another door, this one considerably larger.

The hall beyond was beyond description. The elves found themselves on a small balcony and across the room they spied a similar balcony, much like a reflection of where they stood. Yet to their left and to their right there was no balcony, no walls, naught to speak of, only blackness, for though the hall was narrow one way, its flanks vanished into the distance , so great was its size. Its purpose was clearly defensive, for there was no route from foyer to the foot of this hall; the only way deeper into the city of Belegost was a narrow bridge which spammed the width between the two balconies – a fall from which would surely be without mercy. Yet on this day, defence was not the purpose, but the dwarves had clearly put on a show. The floor of the hall, a good hundred feet below at most, was teeming with dwarves, each one clad in mail which shimmered in the torchlight, each one armed with axes sharpened enough to split a hair. They did no peer up above at the strangers; instead they displayed their discipline without err, staring constantly ahead into nothingness. They were arranged into clear units, each bearing a banner – roughly fashioned for they bore little skill in fabrics – yet they rallied behind it nonetheless, forming innumerable legions, each as fearsome as the next. Truly they were a terror to even the friendly eye!

And surveying all this from the balcony above, the elves found the breath struck from their lungs and with wide eyes they took all this in. It was powerful, terrifying and magnificent all at once, yet only Calwë had words for the moment, recalling Erist’s words he said, ‘Afraid of these little folk? Surely they are harmless, they outnumber us a hundred to one and bear sufficient steel to mean us harm, yet surely at such a height only our ankles face harm!’

Erist remained silent.

The dwarf that led them proceeded ahead, across the narrow bridge, in his hand he bore his axe, as inlaid with copper as was his helm, and he used it as a staff as he crossed the bridge, its metal tip ringing on the stone. The elves followed in silence and as they crossed, the dwarf that led them raised his arms, and in reply his people raised their voices in a cry that shook the stone, and made the elves giddy as they crossed.

Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

‘They shout: Axes of the Dwarves, the Dwarves are upon you,’ Eöl translated quietly.

‘A strange thing to cry,’ Thoron replied.

‘Such a bold people, they greet us with a warcry as a display of their ferocity,’ Eöl said.

‘I’ve certainly no desire to face them on a plain of battle, three feet of height to my advantage or no,’ Erist said hoarsely.

‘Nor shall we ever, they are no spawn of Melkor,’ Thoron answered.

The bridge itself was no easy thing to cross. It was narrow and Thoron doubted that even two small dwarves would be capable to stand side by side atop of it and when he reached its end, the opposing balcony, he was grateful of the wall, as short as it was. From this balcony a handful of dwarves could withstand a thousand of evil’s spawn attempting to cross the bridge, and should any fall, they would greet the afterlife with their neck broken.

The next chamber was much like the first but with many passages leading off of it, some leading down to where the dwarven armies gathered. Their guide led the elves immediately ahead, indicating that the side passages led down to the mines and – closer to hand – the forgeries, explaining the heat that radiated from the passages. ‘Here though,’ he explained, ‘here lies the heart of Belegost.’ He led them through the next doorway, and all opened to them.

Where before ceilings had been lost in darkness, here it shone as clear as a Valinor day. Light, directed through more of those tight passages, was reflected upwards on surfaces much like glass, casting the star’s radiance upon the ceiling above. The roof itself sparkled, inlaid with silver gems which refracted the light across all the floor below. Mighty pillars reached up to the heavens, bearing deep engravings of pictograms or patterns. The floor was polished granite, no doubt treacherous to a light-footed elf with smooth soled shoes, but the heavy feet of the dwarves trod upon it without issue. In the distant walls to the left and right, tunnels led off to “living quarters”, “marketplaces”, “jewel smiths” and to “places of law” – such their guide told them – yet he led them straight past them, past many towering pillars, past the common dwarven folk who looked upon the tall elves with curiosity and awe. It took them an age to reach the great hall’s end, and there a door greeted them designed to make a giant feel small and puny. Stairs led to it, and behind it there lay another foyer, this one lying before the throne room.

The throne itself was expertly carven stone, not made for comfort but instead for the wearies of ruling, and the figure that sat atop of it was weary indeed.

A white beard flowed down to his toes and his hair atop his head reached almost as far. His skin was wrinkled – not to say that a common dwarf was an advert for smooth skin – his eyes bore the bags of heavy sleep below them, but the eyes themselves twinkled with the wisdom of age. The dwarf that had guided them addressed his king, speaking in their rough tongue of this foreign race, their alien tongue and much beside, and when he was done the king rose slowly to his feet and his voice boomed out towards the visitors: ‘I have long awaited this hour, and I shall return to Aüle confident that our people have at last found friends in this troublesome world. For countless years I have reigned upon this hard throne, guided my people as they flourished in the darkness, but for all this time I have put my mind to the world beyond our walls and hoped for an encounter with the folk who inhabit it.’ He greeted them with a stout voice, not yet fallen victim to the hoarseness of age, yet his tone and tiredness showed he awaited death, his reunion with Aüle the Father of the Dwarves, far more than he awaited that hour.

‘I hope too sire, that our meeting will serve both our peoples,’ spoke Eöl, ‘and I would suggest that you eet with my king, Thingol of Doriath, who even now considers plans for a fortress worthy of his majesty but most particularly one suiting this troubled era. He has long desired to meet with such worthy stonemasons and your appearance now is most fortunate, no doubt he will have many gifts to bestow to your Kingdoms, Belegost and Nogrod in exchange for your mighty assistance. Would ye consider this my king of dwarves and send ambassadors to my own king of elves?’

‘Such words are music to my ears, for long have we dwarves toiled in this darkness, but even here we find too little work to entertain ourselves and desire more to busy our hearts and hands with.’

‘My friend,’ spoke Thoron, stepping forward and bowing reverently, ‘I too marvel at your craftsmanship and have in mind a structure which your people would excel at creating, should you so desire to aid me. Furthermore, I would seek to learn more of your tongue, so that I need no translator to speak for me.’

‘If it is your desire, then let it be so. I and my people too will be equally eager to learn this elven tongue and we shall delve deeper into these plans that both you and your elf king desire.’

The light of day blinded the elves and the dwarves seemed to wait an age for their eyes to adjust. The dwarves ventured forth from the cities of Belegost and Nogrod, clad in armour of dark metals. They came down the bank of a small river and forded the great river of Gelion and some dwarves tarried behind to fashion a great road, but the main party led by the elves carried on west towards the horizon. Thus it was that the Dwarves came to Doriath.

Chapter XXIV: A View to a Kill
    A View to a Kill

In one corner of the world, a proud elf added the finishing touches to his Tengwar; in another a host of dwarves were presented with a gift of gems, so beautiful and so rare to the dwarves that they held them dear. It is said that one of these pearls was as large as a dove’s egg and shimmered like starlight on the foam of the sea, Nimphelos it was called and the dwarven king of Belegost prized it above all his wealth. These pearls were given to Thingol by Círdan, who found them frequently in the shallow waters about the Isle of Balar, and Thingol gave them to the dwarves, giving also knowledge and teaching in the elven tongue, and all this was given as the price of their aid in the building of the fortress, the palace, the city, the Thousand Caves that was Menegroth.

In one corner of the world, the dwarves worked wonders in Doriath, in another Thoron led a small number of dwarves northwest; to the place he had chosen as his headquarters, where Sirion was sourced in the Ered Wethrin.

And in another corner of that world, further to the north, where the mountains flanked the River Sirion, a hunting party of elves made camp in the darkness. They were of the Kingdom of Doriath, six in number, and weary from a lengthy day’s hunting when they pitched their tents and settled down. One sung a song of fair maidens on meadows under starry skies. He was the first to die.

They came out of the dark of night, hungry for fresh meats. They remembered tales of elven flesh, “the finest flesh in Arda”, now they chose to find out if those tales were true. They attacked each elf from behind, striking simultaneously though not through careful organisation, rather through eagerness to kill and the desire to amongst each of them to be swifter than the other. One alone survived the initial onslaught, moving swift as lightning in a stormy sky, his blade gliding gracefully from its sheath, his body arcing around, the sword swinging through orcish flesh. The first orc fell, the rest closed in about the sole survivor.

His screams rent the air.

2 Years Later

The balcony was his place of solace.

When the ringing of picks upon stone became too much, the balcony was where Thoron came. It commanded excellent views over Ard-galen and from there the miniscule specs of orcs in the countryside could be seen, roaming like ants in the grass. To call his place of comfort a balcony was a slight exaggeration of course, at this point Thoron kept his external works to a minimum, and, though he had overseen the manipulation of the terrain leading up to the steep mountain wall – he saw it arranged into terraces and raised the stone such that it formed a natural wall, he himself ensuring nature seemed present there, for the dwarves were beings fond of stone, yet the elves were far more fluent in nature’s art – Thoron instead ensured the most part of the dwarven toils were within the mountain. In time he imagined a fortress of sorts, small no doubt, but that could wait, it was too dangerous these days.

The first deaths he had encountered crossing Sirion going north with the dwarves. The mangled corpses of what could only have been elves – and one orc – had been flowing with the current, their murderers long since gone. Yet whilst the dwarves toiled under the mountain, the elves had taken to hunting down any creatures that ventured too far south, determined to delay their arrival into the heart of Beleriand. It was not overly difficult; these beasts had no comprehension of careful planning and roamed freely on the plains, yet occasionally there was one who guided them.

And Thoron new that another was making its way south. They were captains of sorts, slightly larger in stature and more brutish in nature, armed with whip as well as whatever weapon they specialised in and lastly graced with a modicum of intelligence, enough to maintain order in the ranks that followed them. Of the few he had sent to the grave, none had spoken of what exact orders they followed and so he watched and waited for another. That other was so close.

The orc camp was visible from the balcony, encircled in a wooden palisade, and populated with tents, the grandest in the centre – though it had known no permanent resident… they kept on dying.

‘Why don’t you just destroy the lot?’ asked Terëon, appearing suddenly behind him.

‘They’re no threat so long as they remain few and if we kill them, another garrison shall come, and after that an army to find out what happened to those who preceded it. Besides we cannot keep practicing swordplay on straw men. How long will you stay here, since only you, Ëawis and I remain in Beleriand?’

‘I have no pressing desire to return home, I’ll stay here until then.’

Thoron nodded and pulled up his hood, ‘If I do not return soon…’

‘Ask the dwarves to carve a gravestone rather than a citadel?’

Thoron laughed in reply, bade farewell and jumped from the balcony.

Chapter XXV: In the Light of the Campfires
    In the Light of the Campfires

Thoron emerged from the pool of water beneath the balcony dripping wet. As he approached one of the horses –several of the wild animals had been herded into the natural walls and given freedom to roam within the grassy compound – he brushed back his damp hair and whistled. The horse raised its head from the long grass and trotted up to him loyally; Thoron stroked its mane and pulled himself onto its back, taking the reins. He found a low point along the wall and spurred the horse to a gallop, picking up sufficient speed before enticing it to charge at the wall. At a gentle tug of the reigns it leapt from the ground, over the wall and landed gracefully on the other side, continuing its gallop eastwards.

He let his steed roam free at a safe distance from the orc camp, knowing, or perhaps hoping, that it had been so long in his service that it would remain loyal. He took from his belt an axe, small in size, but the dwarves had schooled him in fine targeting and he was confident he could strike a foe dead from a distance. As he approached the timber palisade he dropped to a crouch and his keen eyes sought out the creatures on guard. Two figures guarded the entrance whilst atop a lone and fragile tower another watched. Thoron kept away from that last one’s line of sight, but as he drew closer he saw the figure to be asleep. There would be other sentries on guard he knew, but so long as they did not see him, he was not concerned.

‘Graznak, that you?’

When Thoron wheeled around the orc that had cried out to him was clearly shocked, its dirty hand reached for its blade, it’s surprised mouth opened wider, the tongue within moving to sound a word. The throwing axe in Thoron’s hand slammed into its abdomen, winding it; the axe head came free and Thoron spun, thus increasing the amount of force behind the swing which he next laid across the creature’s gullet. A grunt became a splutter as its dark blood fled the red smile of its throat.

Thoron turned again, bloody blade in hand and eyes and ears searching for sign of the alarm being raised. Silence and calm greeted him. He checked all about him this time, but no patrols were in sight, and so he drew closer to the camp. The sleeping guard he deemed no threat and so it was one of the guards on the gate, the furthest from him, whom took the throwing axe to its breast. The other orc rose suddenly, ‘att-’

Its cruel mouth got no further than that, its tone yet to reach a loud and piercing shout, for then it was that Thoron leapt atop it, hidden blade slamming into its back, turning cry into a gargle of consonants.

After that, the elf merely walked through the camp’s front door.

Ahead a fire blazed, a gaggle of beasts warming themselves about it, and so Thoron darted to the left, behind a tent. He manoeuvred about the shelter, slow and silent like a mouse in the long grass, seeking out the next obstacle to hide behind. Another campfire awaited him, and three beasts around its warmth. He paused, readying a throwing axe.

He let it fly, taking one in the nape of its neck. Then he was sprinting towards the others, the hook snatching up the collar of the one to his right and dragging it to the ground where for a moment it lay stunned. Meanwhile, his left hidden blade slammed into the last orc’s back, ending it there and then, and as it fell forwards he rounded on the survivor, struggling to rise from the floor, and then it was that he drove both hookblade and dagger into its rotten heart.

He moved swiftly now, fearful of discovery, darting from one tent to the next like a stalking cat. A guard passed in front of him once as he moved from cover and he slinked back, only to pounce upon it, blade descending. Like a cat takes a mouse.

Another tent loomed up ahead, but this one was twice the size of the others. An orc-captain’s vanity. Two beasts flanked its opening, so he sought where the candle burned at the beast’s bedside, and slit the fabric of the tent, forming a new opening. When he landed on the captain sleeping within, with one hand he pressed his hidden blade to its throat whilst the other extinguished the candle.

‘You’re as good as dead,’ he whispered in its mangled ear, ‘but a choice lies yet with you: speak, or I’ll let you feast on so much pain that death will be more desirable than anything.’

It chose to spit at him, for that Thoron decided it didn’t need two ears. He stifled the scream.

‘Who gives you these orders; who orders you to venture further south?’

‘Master,’ was its hoarse reply.

‘Who? Sauron, the Lieutenant of Melkor?’

‘He gives Master the orders.’

‘Whom then,’ asked Thoron, as he carved the shape of his chosen sigil into its chest. He stifled another scream.

‘Stop,’ it managed though muffled whilst Thoron worked on his carving, he stopped to hear: ‘and I will speak of things more important to you.’
    Thoron replied with silence, it was enough.

‘The one you seek guides the army south.’

‘Army?’ Thoron demanded, suddenly alarmed.

‘The Lieutenant believes a second stronghold will be needed, and seeks to build one in the mountains north of the accursed trees.’

‘North of Doriath,’ Thoron murmured, ‘speak more!’

‘Have I not said enough, elf?’ it demanded, then it raised its cry. Thoron was too late to silence him.

The guards on the door were at his back when he removed his hookblade from the captain’s gullet, yet Thoron dragged the hook through one guard’s shoe and hurled him to the ground whilst his left blade thrust into the other creature’s ankle, crippling it. He ended them both and darted through the main tent flap, turning left from the orcs gathering ahead and jumping atop a crate. From there, his feet leapt atop the cross beam of a tent but when that collapsed he had already jumped onto the sentry tower, stabbing his dagger into the startled chest of the orc that had woken there, sleep still in its cat’s eyes. Not only was that dying sentry awake, but so was the whole camp and as Thoron jumped from the tower, over the wall and to the ground he raised a whistle, louder than any cry. He prayed only for his steed’s loyalty.

A distant whinny sounded and he ran towards that sound.

Chapter XXVI: A Course of War
    A Course of War

Thoron’s citadel, a maze of marvellous dwarven passages and some elven artistry, paled in comparison to the glory of Menegroth. In the heart of Doriath, a rocky hill arose, with the river at its foot, and there lay the gateway to the Thousand Caves of the capital of Thingol. Upon entering the elves felt like ants amongst giant’s passages which delved deep and down into the hill. Within were many high halls and chambers, all of which led to the largest of them all. The throne room was populated with innumerable trees, each like the beeches of Oromë, towering above them and supporting the immense ceilings from which golden lanterns spread their light. And each tree was of stone. The dwarves had left their mark here, yet they had done so with the partnership of elves. Rather than finely carved patterns of straight lines were the finely carved weavings of elves; rather than the stout dwarven statues there stood stone eagles ready to take flight and other lesser birds, there also were beasts of nature and nature’s own flowers dotting the walls and pillars.

The throne itself was wood, encased in flowering ivy, as healthy as if it was living still – perhaps it was. Atop it sat Thingol, beside him on a throne of roses with golden leaves sat his beloved, Melian, and together they towered above Thoron, Terëon and Ëawis.

‘The beauty of your halls matches that of your wife, I must say,’ declared Thoron, ‘yet it was not to behold their majesty that we hastened south. Many years back – no, not years, nearer to two centuries ago – I sent you warning, and you replied that you would be willing to arm your people and to ready them should such an army come. Less than a week gone we spied it depart the gates of Angband, Iron fortress of Sauron. They may mean no harm – as yet of course – the being I interrogated spoke that it purposed only to establish new settlement in the mountains north of Doriath. Nonetheless the army shall soon be nearing your trees, a threat to your Kingdom, and I would recommend a course of action, a course of war.’

‘You know your purpose?’ Thoron checked for the fifth and last time.
    Sunlight filtered down through the leaves of the trees of Doriath, casting some shade on the three elves. ‘Yes,’ replied Terëon and Ëawis exasperatedly.

Thoron turned his eyes to the north. The orc army was crossing the River Sirion even now, using the Ford of Brithiach to continue east into the region of Dimbar. Little did they know of the elven army advancing north from where the River Mindeb parted from Sirion. Little did they know of the second elven army which would come at their backs from the Forest of Brethil. The flaming arrow that Thoron sent flying into the sky was spied by all, yet for one party it was far too late.

It began with the pounding of hooves on the earth, two vanguards, one from Dimbar, one from Brethil. Lances shimmered in the light of the stars, armour glinted gold and silver. For now, Thoron watched. The vanguards moved as swift and mercilessly as an Angband demon. Lances angled down struck the foremost ranks of orcs and sent beasts flying, hooves stampeded the rest. Swords came arcing down, cutting through besmirched flesh and spilling orc blood. The havoc of the vanguard having been spread, the main elven force followed. Their armour was beautiful, full of graceful curves that would deflect many a determined blade. Curved, also, were their swords, and their manner of wielding them showed equal grace. The vanguard had pulled back, the initial charge having done sufficient damage, and now the elven infantry themselves joined the fray. Their blades swung down in moves as fluid as water, the blades arcing down then around and striking again. A hail of arrowfire joined in, raining down like nature’s storm atop the heads of those spawn of Sauron. The arrows fell accurately, striking ahead of where elves and orcs clashed, such that no friendly being fell to them.

Thoron unsheathed his sword, readying his steed between his legs, holding his blade aloft. On either bank of the River Sirion, west and east, orcs were facing elves; let them add the south to that equation. Thoron spurred his steed forwards, and the beast picked up speed. Behind him came the Assassins, and another unit of elven lancers.

At the line of orcs, Thoron’s steed leapt and they landed, hooves and steel first, sword slicing through flesh. Thoron swung the weapon thrice on his right side, hewing at nothing in particular, merely anything that got in his way; then he brought across his blade, thrusting at a creature that meant to strike at his left flank. He struck it in the eye and wrenched the blade free, stabbing down at the next orc to pass him and twisting the blade to ensure fatal damage. He guided his horse to the right slightly, aiming for the greatest of the orcish standards, where he hoped to find his target.

Behind him, lancers stabbed down repeatedly, skewering orcs like meat for a summer feast, some though had discarded lance or found them shattered upon impact and wielded shimmering swords or, in rare occasion, maces and severed or bludgeoned beasts to death. The din of battle surrounded them, orcish spears were thrust at steed and rider, casting many to the earth were bloodthirsty foe rent their bodies apart. Thoron found his sword snatched from his grasp when it became embedded in an obese orc and in reply he stole an upthrust spear from an orc’s hand and brought the shaft slamming down on the back of the beast’s skull. He spied the great standard up ahead, waving in the chaos, beckoning to him, and he brought down his stolen spear again, breaking through the skull of one orc and wrenching it free, only to lose it when he thrust it into the breast of another. He needed no other weapon then, spurring his horse ahead instead and making for that standard.

He was so close now, he could taste it.

Thoron leapt from the saddle, landing atop of the horse that belonged to his target. The owner was one of Sauron’s lackeys, a more intelligent form of orc perhaps or maybe a Maiar. They suffered the same way when pierced with steel, Thoron found, when he slammed his hookblade into the creatures neck. He knocked the creature from the saddle, twisting his blade as he wrenched it free, then seizing the reigns of the beast that he rode. The warg did not take kindly to that.

He slammed into cold earth, his target’s blood pooled around him and above him an orc leered at him, clasping a spear aimed at his head.

The rock that knocked that orc into unconsciousness was hurled with such strength that it bounced straight over Thoron’s body to get to the orc, slamming into it and hurling it and twenty others into the heavens. And when the elf arose, he found the field of battle turned into a mass rout, and its cause evident: they were trees and yet not trees, giants of men with beards of moss, and clearly they had no friendship with orcs. The walking trees scattered orcs as an elf wafts aside a fly, but with far more bloodlust and much more accuracy. They came from Doriath and sent Sauron’s spawn fleeing north, towards the mountain slopes where they had once hoped to inhabit.

Little did they know of the dwarves awaiting them.

Those that had come to the battle were few in number, most accompanied Thoron from Eithel Sirion whilst a few came from working on Menegroth. Despite their eagerness and insistence however, Thingol had commanded that they make up the last party, the one that awaited the orcs to the north, and delivered the final crushing blow. The orcs were crushed already, but the dwarves cleaned up the mess.

Not a beast survived that day, and of the elves, dwarves and tree-beings only a handful of elves were slain, most from the initial charges. Yet something somewhere in Thoron’s heart troubled him, despite the merriment about him.

‘A good day’s work Thoron,’ greeted Thingol, clad in armour plated in gold and silver. ‘So, why so troubled?’

‘Would that I knew, sire,’ Thoron replied, ‘I would ask that you do not tell of such a great victory being won here, no doubt many others will follow of greater renown, I’d rather they were sung of rather than this one. But tell me, what are those beings that have skin of bark and beards of ivy?’

‘They are shepherds of the trees who have a fondness for those who protect their flock and a hatred for those who do not. I encouraged them to fight this day to ease the flow of the battle, and as a surprise for a dwarven friends who too readily throw steel to timber.’

‘I shall be wary also then,’ Thoron said as a cold wind wafted over the field of victory, cooling the sweat on his brow. Curious, he thought, a moment ago it was my back feeling the breeze, now it is my face. Winds do not change so easily.

He looked to where the wind flowed, to where Valinor lay in the west, to where there was a peculiar darkness. In the distance, a drum sounded, a long, deep booming sound.

‘Something is happening,’ Thoron said, ‘and we must return. I fear… I fear…’

‘What?’ pondered the King of Doriath.

‘If my count is true, orcs may be the least of our fears, the century must be done, dawn will have ushered in the year 4900,’ Thoron replied weakly as Terëon and Ëawis rejoined him at his side. ‘For Three Ages was he condemned to be a prisoner of his brothers, for Three Ages he has contemplated his fate, for Three Ages Melkor has awaited this time. Perhaps he is free now but I pray we have time yet. This is something I would behold with my own eyes. Sire, we must bid you farewell.’

Chapter XXVII: Of the Coming of Melkor
    Of the Coming of Melkor

He came barefooted. He came on his knees. He came a supplicant before gods, a wolf before sheep.

The Valar stood in the gateway to the city of Valimar, the golden gates closed behind them. Upon the walls of the city of Gods stood the spectators, Fëanor, Erist, Feonos and Calwë amongst them. They looked out in the direction of the hill of Ezollahar, where stood the Two Trees, Laurelin and Telperion. Between hill and city lay the Ring of Doom, where the gods gave their judgement. There the Gods would meet, Melkor with his brothers and sisters.

Manwë spoke first, reminding him of why He had been punished and so Melkor kissed the earth and promised that never again would he show reason to be punished.

Nienna spoke after; reminding the Valar that Melkor had served his punishment, now was the hour of his freedom.

Mandos remained silent.

Melkor spoke again, praising the mercy of the Gods, praising the world which the Gods created, praising Manwë in his wisdom. More he spoke of: the dutiful brother he would be, the things he would do to aid the Valar and their people – no matter how low of position he was degraded to.
    Nienna praised his wisdom, praised all he could give to the free peoples of Valinor, praised him blindly, he was her sister after all.

Mandos remained silent.

It went on, Nienna reinforcing Melkor’s vow that he would heal all the ills he did the Arda, Mandos remaining silent. Until at last, Manwë granted judgement.

‘Hear now my words, and ever after remember the mercy of thy brothers. Ye have done much to taint this world in which we live, much to blacken the name of the Gods, yet I pardon ye, pardon all these ills, all these woes. May ye cleanse the name Melkor, let it be a name of joy to the people’s ears. But do not think ye have wholly our trust, for as we open our gates to ye so shall they close in thy wake, and not until your worth is proven will they open once more.’

The sound of the golden gates of Valimar opening was like a mournful tune upon a harp, yet when it closed, all Fëanor heard was the slamming of a prison door. A drum sounded, judgement was passed.

Thus the God clad his feet in shabby, crumbling shoes. Thus he rose from his knees. Thus Melkor walked into Valimar, a wolf into the pen of sheep.

‘He came to the doors in the guise of a beggar, now he struts about like a pigeon impressing the ladies,’ Fëanor grumbled.

‘The ladies seem pleased by his cooing,’ Calwë observed.

‘Of course, who else would offer them such wisdom, the other Valar are too solitary, and that Melkor exploits.’

‘Does brotherly love make them so blind?’

‘Blind,’ came a new voice from behind them, ‘what is there to see? In the north of Beleriand orcs descend towards Doriath, but Sauron gives them their orders, here in Aman servants come to see their master but they do so of their own free will. Encased in his prison, Melkor gave no orders, and even if he gave them before imprisonment would he give them now. The Valar pray he has changed his way and personally I do too.’ Thoron paused, ‘I doubt it though.’

‘My friend, you are returned at last,’ Fëanor said, ‘we feared the light of the trees no longer inspired you to return home.’

Ëawis and Terëon stood also at Thoron’s side, their eyes focused on Melkor as he went about, every moment pausing to talk with a passing elf. Some listened, some ignored him as if he begged them for their worldly goods, one even shoved him aside. That put a glint in Melkor’s eye.

The following day, Thoron visited Fingolfin, second son of Finwë. They greeted each other like long lost brothers and indeed long it had been since last they saw each other.

‘Once you were my squire, then you vanished to some place far away and I hardly saw you ever after. Come; tell me of your travels, and what occupies you.’

And so Thoron related his tales of bloodshed, remaining quiet on some parts, but telling in detail of the dwarves of the Blue Mountains, of the attacks on Sauron’s orcs and of his opinions on Melkor. Fingolfin barely spoke a word throughout the tale, interrupting rarely to ask a question or to murmur some appreciation of a deed. ‘Such a journey,’ he said at last, ‘I must say I’m curious of these little folk you describe, but far greater is my desire to witness with my own eyes this world you describe, this Beleriand across the sea.’

‘One day you shall, perhaps one day you shall come with us across the ocean.’

‘I have never heard of any captain willing to carry people so far east.’

Thoron shook his head, ‘Only one captain has aided us so, and he because another, of higher power, asked him,’ he replied, thinking, Manwë asked him. ‘Yet one day that will change, and elves shall venture freely between this land and the land ahead, one day when we set our sights higher no doubt.’

For a month Melkor went about, spreading his wisdom, speaking to one elf at a time, praising their potential, their intellect, their hunger for more. Then he leant forward and whispered in their ear, and how that elf’s eyes lit up!

The next day that man would work with Melkor, learning his secrets whilst Manwë looked on and saw only kindness. Yet Ulmo watched and was not convinced by this display and Tulkas looked on, fists clenched in anger. He remembered the storming of Utumno, the chaining of Melkor and those eyes, never before had he seen eyes hold such vengeance within them. Yet Manwë was quicker to forget and did not understand malice, which he had never tasted, and thought it cured. And so in time, he permitted Melkor to walk free, to walk beyond the city of Valimar, and thus began the ensnaring of the Noldor.

Chapter XXVIII: Jewels to Die For
    Jewels to Die For

Thoron was speechless, captivated, even lusting.

In his eyes was reflected the fire, the fire which burned in the eyes of Fëanor, and the fire which burned before him, within those gems, those gems which were more than gems, for they were afire, with the burning heart of Fëanor and the blinding light of the Two Trees of Valinor.
    They looked to be diamonds but not even a being of simple mind could mistake them for being so. The radiance with which they shone was strong enough to blind the greedy eye, their strength such that no hammer, no sharpened chisel perhaps even no raging inferno could chip or mar them. Yet all that crystal was but a coat, like the one an elf wears to shield protect his skin from the elements, for within these – it is an insult to call them thus – gems there lies this aforementioned fire, this light. Silver and gold shine together, stronger than the light of the Trees, stronger even than the moon and sun which succeeded them. Yet they shine not alone, for with the light of Telperion and Laurelin shines the stars of Varda and the raging inferno of their creators soul, each combined to create a light of such strength that it is refracted, reflected and so cast into various hues, each more magnificent than the one that shone out before it.

And all those who beheld them did so in awe, their eyes ever after hungry for another sight. They had an attraction not unlike that of the One Ring, which was forged millennia later, yet of these there was no evil and never would there be, for Varda hallowed them, making them so sacred that nothing unclean, nothing tainted, nothing evil could ever touch them without being themselves tainted, burnt and blackened in flesh and soul.

The Valar saw them and wondered, the Elder beheld them and were captivated, Melkor saw and never forgot that vision. In the elves he saw his lust for vengeance, in the wonders of Valinor he saw his greed, but in these gems of Fëanor he saw all this malice combined and more, and he saw also opportunity.

These jewels were so perfect that never were they surpassed, these jewels were so significant that they would be interwoven in the fates of the elves and men for centuries to come, these jewels were the Silmarils, the doom of all those who laid claim to them, were it their right to or not.
    On a day many years since Fëanor’s finest creations were made public, Thoron and Fingolfin were exploring the monthly market in Tirion. Under a blazing golden light, innumerable stalls crowded the broad square at the peak of the hill of Túna and flooded the many streets, be they wide or narrow, which ran down the hillside. Thoron’s teeth were sunk deep into a peach when the first words reached him, and by the time he drew closer to the preacher in the centre of the square he had discarded the fruit, the flesh about the stone being black and rotten – perhaps it was merely that the words had soured his taste.

‘Behold,’ cried the preacher, his arms raised over his head and the golden treelight illuminating him from behind, ‘behold the beauties of Aman, behold the splendour of the Two Trees! Does not Telperion fill you with hope, does not Laurelin fill ye with thoughts of the glories ye might be conjuring in thy minds?

‘No, ye say? No? Why, how curious I say, that ye should look upon the Valar’s finest works and be satiated, as if they are a fruit which quenches all of thy thirst for imagination. Curious I say, that you think no feat of thine is worth fashioning else it be eclipsed by the light of those Trees. The Silmarils you may say are an exception,’ he paused and adopted a friendly, amused tone, ‘but of course Fëanor speaks little of the aid I lent him.’
    Melkor made to hasten onto the next part of his speech, but a shout rent the air: ‘So deep is the stick up Fëanor’s behind, that he would sooner bed one of your demons than heed your council.’ Fingolfin spat and a guffaw of agreement overcame the crowd.

Melkor the preacher ignored Fingolfin, continuing, ‘Why then if not the Silmarils, then why not take into thy minds the wonders of the east, the fairest things have I ever beheld in Beleriand across the wide seas, and each of those wonders the craft of the elves who ne’er came to Aman, who ne’er beheld the Two Trees, who never were dragged under their spell.’

The laughter was over, Melkor had weaved a spell of his own.

‘Together, elf and dwarf – a species few have seen and no wonder, the Valar keeps a secret better than a mute elf! – toil in the beautiful lands across the sea, carving kingdoms, mansions and homes that cast all of these into darkness. Who needs treelight when every elf has a palace?

‘But what is this my friends? What is this murmur arising amidst this crowd, hungry for truths? Speak up I pray thee, speak of what ails thy tongues!’

‘We do not know,’ spoke one elf, his manner bold and unnatural, ‘oh mighty being, what lands you speak of, nor have my eyes witnessed these wonders.’

Thoron leaned over to his companion, ‘Now there is one whom has been planted in the crowd.’

Melkor was aghast, his manner equally phoney, ‘Not seen? Have you but heard of these lands, of what they hold?’ Some elves shook their heads, of the others the eyes said the same. ‘What madness is this, are you prisoners upon this isle?’ That said Melkor turned in apparent disgust and abandoned the podium from where he had made his speech.

‘Aptly chosen moment,’ observed Fëanor’s voice as the elf joined them. ‘You summoned me to marketplace, Thoron, and I thought it curious at the time.’ His eyes looked upon his half-brother with suspicion, ‘now I see your motive.’

‘In Beleriand armies of orcs threaten Doriath, in Valinor Fëanor despises his father’s choice to remarry,’ observed Thoron.

‘Apologies my friend,’ answered Fëanor, glowering at Fingolfin, ‘but it seems the fire that lives within me is insufficient to lay to ashes the stick up my rear.’

‘I doubt the fires of Utumno could,’ muttered Fingolfin.

‘Enough!’ Thoron shouted, loud enough to turn a few faces, ‘Fëanor you love your father as much as the next elf, yet you refuse to accept his decision to remarry like a spoilt child. Grow up and accept it.’

The spoilt child turned and walked away.

‘Your manner was as cold as winter, Thoron, but I do not blame you, he’s been all the more bitter towards me since mother bore another child. One more brother to incite Fëanor’s malice.’

‘Brother? I have missed too much in my absence.’

‘Indeed, Finarfin my brother stands as tall as a full grown elf, he was born – if I remember correctly – when you were returned briefly to Aman, but…’

‘…but I was by far too busy,’ Thoron finished, turning his eyes to the deserted podium – deserted no longer, ‘that elf who spoke up has taken the preacher’s place.’

‘You speak with a murderous manner.’

‘I would not dare be first to stain this fair Valinor, but I can do enough.’ He stepped forwards, easing himself into the crowd, raising his hood over his head. He let the ring which triggered his wrist blade fall from his finger, Stay your blade from the flesh of an innocent. He used his hands to part those that obstructed his path, Hide in plain sight, be one with the crowd. He doubted hiding was necessary, but to attack one who spoke Melkor’s truths so suddenly would surely shock those who saw. Perhaps they would even remember. The podium rose ahead and he jumped gracefully, fists extended, plunging towards gut and throat. The first strike knocked the wind from his body, that was enough. ‘Easy to the lips come Melkor’s words, but think before you repeat them, like eager dogs you lap up his so called “truths”. Nothing is true.’ The elf at Thoron’s feet sought to speak, but then he let him taste a second blow, straight to the gullet. He keeled over and Thoron finished: ‘Remember Melkor’s deeds in Utumno, remember the blood that was shed by the Valar to ensure thy freedom. Remember the malice of Melkor. One good deed does not wipe clean another.’

He leapt again from the podium, careful to tread upon the figure at his feet, and lost himself in the crowd.

Chapter XXIX: The Ending of the Rift
    The Ending of the Rift

‘I’m sorry brother.’

Thoron, mid drink, spluttered. ‘Sorry,’ he murmured quietly, ‘go on.’

‘I- I- I had a dream last night, the light of the trees was fading, in the skies a greater light was emerging, but where I stood there was only darkness. The lights in my father’s halls had blown out; I felt the wind on my back, my hand was cold, cold from the steel in my hand, I- I-. You stood in front of me Fingolfin, and my sword was drawn. I will not be kinslayer.’

‘You must truly be set on the path of reconciliation, for that is the first time I’ve heard you acknowledge him as kin.’ Fëanor cast Thoron a serious look in reply and apologetically Thoron rose, ‘I’ll leave you to it.’

He walked from the table, out from under the canopy of vines that adorned the restaurant, into the bright treelight. Behind him brothers reconciled, ahead elves went about their lives as if history wasn’t being made. It was a remarkably hot day in Tirion, as golden light illuminated the streets, parched elves sought shade in the many taverns and restaurants, eager for a refreshing drink whilst children ran up and down the streets, jumping into fountains without a care in the world.

Yet in the shadows, Thoron saw a few elves who sought shade for a different reason. They whispered in groups all over Aman, some still daring to preach in the streets. Today there was another preacher though, this one armoured in metal that shone in the light, yet whilst to some it made him seem fair, Thoron only saw darkness. Instinctively, Thoron flexed his hand, flexed the blade in and out, and strode calmly towards Melkor.

His mind’s eye saw the corpse of an elf, shaded by trees, saw the orcs roaming in the darkness.

They are us, captive for centuries, tortured till driven insane, mutilated beyond recognition. And now they serve their captor and torturer, Melkor accursed. We have known Melkor has been breeding them for centuries, now at last we see them. Orcs.

Why was Manwë so convinced Melkor was guilty then, why then and not now? Was there any limit to brotherly love? He glanced back at the restaurant where Fëanor and Fingolfin reconciled, he glanced again at Melkor.

In his chest his heart beat so hard he felt it throughout his body, raging at him, pushing the blood through his veins, faster and faster. He fidgeted with the ring of his blade, rested it again on his middle finger. Gently, he pushed aside the crowd and prematurely the blade came out, he did not notice if it harmed anyone. Melkor was finishing his speech, but the words were all muddled in his head. He was breathing deeply, too deeply; he raised his blade arm, the weapon shimmering in the treelight. Behind him the crowd dispersed, but Thoron strode forwards, lost in visions of death. He saw the corpses of elves and orcs together, a creature screamed out: Master!

Thoron looked up, and saw into Melkor’s eyes, like staring into the pits of Utumno, and Valar! What potential they held!

‘Thoron,’ whispered Melkor’s cold voice…

‘This is good steel,’ approved Mahtan, ‘pray, who taught you in this matter for I never have known such craftsmanship?’

Thoron averted his eyes, but he was spared answering by the banging open of the workshop door as Fingolfin strode in, demanding loftily ‘where is my brother?’

‘Do you not know yourself, the two of you…?’

‘I’ve not seen him in a month,’ he answered curtly, striding up to Thoron. ‘Nice steel,’ he murmured approvingly, ‘whose?’

Thoron stammered a moment then asked, ‘What do you mean a month?’

For nigh on half a decade the two brothers seemed to have put aside their differences, certainly not embracing each other as the kin they were but at least willing to talk with one another, respect each other, and cease slandering the other behind his back. But all of a sudden things had changed, as Fëanor and Fingolfin had slowly grown apart from one another, so too were the changes visible on the streets. The elves of Valimar and the Teleri of Aqualondë both kept their distance from the haughty Noldor of Tirion who strutted about like cockerels amongst the hens. Swords and axes, spears and shields began to adorn those who stood in the shadows and elves fashioned sigils to wear, each as great as their House. One day, passing the blacksmith which he most frequented, Thoron saw that the elf there was also busy forging tools of murder.

‘What purpose,’ demanded an elf of Valimar to a crowd on the streets of Tirion, ‘have the people of Finwë to arm themselves thus? Who are they to fight, who do they desire to slay? Proud are the Noldor, and so it is there sin, so shall it be their doom!’

A hail of rotten vegetables made up the reply.

Thoron turned away, down a street, and behind him he heard voices from a corner, whispering a rumour: Fingolfin sought to usurp his half-brother’s place as the firstborn heir of Finwë. Suddenly Thoron broke into a run, darting up a steep alleyway of stairs, turning onto a busy marketplace and forcing his way through the crowd, vaulting over a stall and sprinting up a flight of stairs. He knocked on the door before him but had to wait far longer than was usual to be answered.

The elf that opened the door to him had done so a hundred times, yet there was no warmth in the expression that greeted Thoron.

‘I would see Fëanor.’

‘Fëanor is not seeing visitors.’

‘He would see me,’ Thoron replied.

‘He only sees those whom he desires to see, squire.’

Thoron turned away.

He did not see Fëanor for a week and when he did at last lay eyes upon him it was a bigger blow than anything. He bore only a sword at his side but the words were poisonous enough:

‘Hear me brothers, for I have truths for thee. In his high hall, the one who would call me brother is in cahoots with the gods above, striving to deprive me of my birthright. It is time to make a stand, to rise up against those who would make us thralls. Let us abandon this accursed land and go where we are free to live our lives as we please.’

The applause was deafening.

Standing in the corner of the hall of Finwë, Thoron was on edge. As noble lords bickered and waited, Finwë sat upon his high throne, watching, fidgeting.

It had been growing dark when Thoron visited him, and well into night when he finished recounting all that had happened. Finwë had remained silent throughout and it was long after that he spoke: ‘All this the Valar must hear, but first I must hear the words of my children,’ he paused then decided, ‘I shall convene a council.’

‘Your first judgement is wise enough, but I warn you, if you bring together Fëanor and Fingolfin, it shall only worsen matters.’
    The opening and closing of the door to the hall brought him back to the present and Thoron watched as Fingolfin strode in, the sigil of his house on his breast, but no sign of any of the other follies which Melkor had encouraged.

‘King and Father,’ he addressed, voice echoing in the hall, ‘will you not restrain the pride of our brother Fëanor, the one who is so aptly named spirit of fire? He preaches in the street as Melkor was want to do and his words are not unlike those of the accursed one,’ Fingolfin spat, ‘but by what right does he speak for all our people, as if he was our King? It was you, father, who spoke to the elves, persuaded them to accept the Valar’s summons and to cross the sea to this fair Valinor, it was you, father, who led the Noldor on many trials through the dangers of Middle-earth, until at last they reached this Aman. If, now, you do not feel regret, I and my noble brother would at least honour your words.’

The sound of the doors parting and their crash as they struck the walls was like a sudden roll of thunder, unexpected on a summer’s day. The sudden gush of wind blew out all the candles and in the hall of Finwë, there was darkness. Heads turned bearing anxious faces as Fëanor, first-born of Finwë, proudest of the Noldor, strode into his father’s halls, yet it was not his manner that disturbed the onlookers, rather his garb.
    His greaves shone in the candlelight, his helm shimmered from the treelight peering in through the open door, his breastplate was thick and bore signs that marked his house and his status as its first prince, and at his side hung his sword, sharp. This was an age and a place where few elves – if any - went armed in Aman, and Fëanor knew it. His sword said a lot as it rested in its sheath.

If you bring together Fëanor and Fingolfin, it shall only worsen matters.

Nervously, Thoron’s right hand flexed out his hidden blade and concealed it again, whilst his eyes focused on the elf before him.

‘So it is, even as I guessed,’ began the spirit of fire, his tone colder than the steel at his side, ‘ever would my brother desire to stand before me at my father’s side, in this as in all matters. Be gone, and return to your true place.’ It was not his words which drew gasps, but the sword in his hand, pointing back at the door.

Fingolfin bowed reverently to his father, but spared his half-brother not a glance as he marched to the exit, head held high. He passed Fëanor and the older brother watched him pass like a dwarf watches a goblin go by. He turned suddenly and as Fingolfin reached the doorway to the open plaza beyond, Fëanor strode up behind him, steel glimmering. Fingolfin turned, and Fëanor’s blade was at his heart and Thoron saw those fiery eyes, the bloodlust raging within. Outside in the light of the trees, innumerable passing elves turned their heads to the halls of Finwë; within, eyes looked on with equal horror.

I had a dream, my sword was drawn, I will not be kinslayer.

‘Do you see half-brother, this is sharper than your tongue, and should you dare attempt to wrongfully seize my place and my father’s love again and maybe you shall taste this blade as it rids our people of one who seeks to be master of thralls.’

Fingolfin kept his silence and turned his back to Fëanor as he departed the hall.

Thoron retracted his hidden blade.

Update Log

Here follows a complete, concise, list of notes regarding the progress of this tale.

Introduction:
    This is a continuation of Lord of the Rings: Assassins Creed, but I started a new thread as Thoron's tale does not need to wholly follow Erion's.

New readers can come read this one without feeling the pressure to have to read the other AC tale first.

Utterly mad it is, writing in the first age. Sauron has a body (and my description of him being Vampiric is not based on false grounds, it just adds to the evil ). And Balrogs are far more common, but are much less bad-ass. They are the ultimate enemy, when one shows up, someone dies, it's a fact of Middle-earth, Gandalf is just one.

And Elves, they are much more bad-ass (< like my use of technical terminology? ). One First Age elf is 1000 times stronger than a Third Age elf, they stand up to Dark Lords in person and almost win, they stand up to Balrogs and win (kinda), and they are always good, corruptible, but never evil.

Chapter VI: (3:40am 2/11/2011)
    Not satisfied with the description of the most beautiful woman in Tolkien's universe, the woman whose name accompanies that of Tolkien's wife on their grave. It's just too short.

Chapter VII: (2:33am 12/11/2011)
    Okay that cuts nicely to the point and should lead on to some adventures . . . pity that Middle-earth is so . . . dull at this point, few of the cities have been founded yet.

I also removed all uses of "Morgoth" as this name was given to Melkor much later in the narrative, for now he is just Melkor, the fallen Vala.

Hope that's all for now. Will have to speed things up and get the Elves migrating.

Farewell until next time, by which time Assassin's Creed: Revelations may even be out . . . that hook blade could come in rather useful for scaling some of these nasty peaks of Beleriand.

Views: 170

Chapter VIII: (2:40am 19/11/2011)
    Introducing this Update Log, all my notes in one spot. I shall try to write more as is appropriate to this format.

This part moves the group to looking at places for their new base which shall be, as Thoron saw on the map, Eithel Sirion on the map - the Well of Sirion - the Source of the River Sirion.

I shall now have 1 more chapter to finish off the introductions, then I think an assassination and then lets advance the plot to some War.

Views: 212.

Chapter IX: (3:10am 24/11/2011)
    This is the last of the uneventful chapters.

As the prequel to my Erion tale (though perhaps it should be viewed as a tale told through Velenia's last look into the Palantír), I aim to view this as Assassin's Creed I, by which I mean a lot of those fun assassinations, all planning, caution and targets. Urgh I speaking rubbish I think, but basically, targets to kill and then an escape.

Next chapter should feature just that, then I intend to return the Assassins to the Undying Lands where they can witness the unfolding of the most important tale of the First Age.

This tale is also, as a secondary point, my way of retelling the Silmarillion in a bit more detail, Tolkien covers in a few pages of the Silmarillion what he would cover in multiple chapters in the Lord of the Rings. I want to stay faithful to some extents, and manipulate the plots in others. I shall try to point out where I do (if at all).

Views: Unknown.

Chapter X: (3:10am 24/11/2011)
    This is amazing, views have doubled since the release of Third Age 3.0. Hurray! Pity commenters are down.

Nonetheless a new part, setting up for a high speed chase. The ending was a tad rushed but fumbling around dark passages was not something I wanted to dwell on. As for the secret passage at the end, Angband had a few Hidden Gates leading out, possibly to spring a surprise attack or two.

-----
    The nameless Maiar hopefully died, the specifics of such beings are hard to ascertain. The body at least lies slain but spirits are a fickle thing in Tolkien's world, though Sauron's had an external life force (the Ring) keeping him alive.

Views: 456.

Chapter XI: (3:41am 31/12/2012)
    New, short part, with a longer and more actionpacked one to follow soon I hope.

Happy New Year, fellow readers!

Chapter XII: (2:46am 1/1/2012)
    A New Long Part!

Welcome to 2012!

Chapter XIII: (10:03am 13/2/2012)
    Thanks, new part in reward! (And rep, but that's not important )

Also fixed some stupid errors that Lore purists would kill me for, how I had them in to begin with... urgh...

Chapter XIV: (12:47am 6/3/2012)
    New part Now off to write essays ...

Chapter XV: (2:21am 8/3/2012)
    New part to celebrate the submission of one of my essays, hurray! Now off to slave over the other... or more likely I'll end up writing the next chapter... anyone have epic ideas for assassination devices? I feel reluctant to go with the usual hidden blade

18:56 - 8/03/2012 - Fixed inaccuracies.

Views: 925.

Chapter XVI: (1:50am 10/3/2012)
    Note that "treelight" refers to the Light of the Two Trees... obvious, but worth noting.

Views: 960.

Chapter XVII: (3:12am 19/3/2012)
    Note to self: Forward plan!

Views: 1014.

Chapter XVIII: (2:24am 21/3/2012)
    I used to have loads to say... but as soon as I start using a log I can't think what to note down...

Views: 1041.

Chapter XIX: (21:36pm 21/3/2012)
    Fun to write... although not as much detail as planned...

Views: 1061.

Chapter XX: (21:36pm 16/7/2012)
    Back after far too long. Was looking too long so I ended it there

Views: 1480.

Chapter XXIII: (9:40pm 16/8/2012)
    An overly Long Holiday but back at last Lots of writing stockpiled up though

Views: 1665.

Chapter XXIV: (3:30pm 24/8/2012)
    Wishing the holiday would last forever...

Views: 1758.

Chapter XXV: (1:07pm 30/8/2012)
    Strange... As you waited for the 25th Chapter: In the Light of the Campfires, I've been writing the 31st Chapter: The Swansong.

Keeping some chapters in reserve is certainly paying off but hoping I can maintain that with University rapidly approaching.

Anyway, did not want to write a longer than usual Status Update for the sake about speculating over future activity Nope, wanted to observe how the tale is going. I'm rapidly skipping long periods of, how best to describe them, nothingness. One look at the Timeline of Arda answers my meaning as years go by like hours pass in Lord of the Rings and its not like I can do daily doses of murder when Valinor is so untarnished. Thus I fastforward to the bits which require more careful studying, and what do I find? (Aside from missing important births or something along those lines which, though unintentional, tend to be a bit bad for the reader. And what else do I find? Speeches. And thus I wonder, do I copy these verbatim? Or do I modify them somehow. I've always looked at the Silmarillion as one looks at a historical account, my my! What a magnificent speech Henry V, can I take a pinch of salt with that? So as a result, keeping to the words, adding bits and making it less... olde Unless its Gods, they deserve to be olde speakers, so long as it fits what they're saying of course .

So yes, copying speeches really gets on my nerves, it's not just how to portray them, but also the issue that I have little freedom in them. In the past year of writing (or not writing) this, I have been building up to this 31st Chapter (just realised the chapter is number 13 backwards or simply the 31st: Halloween, hehe, I like superstitious things ). I am reaching the point where the Silmarillion gets truly interesting and dramatic and my Assassins may be unleashed.

And finally I can bring an end to Book I.

Oh by the way, NEW PART

Views: 1819.

Chapter XXVI: (3:40am 10/9/2012)
    How University looms over me, that and all this writing I must maintain... New Part, and one which I designed not to be as deep and detailed as this one ought to be, mostly because I knew what was to come. In reflection, there's far too many parts after this to the good stuff. Ah well tales must be told, and I'm satisfied. Now let's have you enjoying it, and me sleeping. Goodnight

Views: 1916.

Chapter XXVII: (3:29am 21/9/2012)
    A milestone in viewing figures and an enigmatic stranger sends me rep, reason enough to charge ahead and across the wide seas! This shall no doubt be rather slow after all that has preceded it and by "this" I mean everything for a while Though I say a while, but in reflection, I should have broken up these chapters more. Anyway, enjoy

Views: 2025.

Chapter XXVIII: (2:05pm 28/9/2012)
    So close and yet so far... One chapter and an Epilogue away from finishing this first "Book". Thank the Valar! You readers have a lot more than that to go though Anyway enjoy, this was rather fun to write... if I remember correctly

Views: 2088.

Chapter XXIX: (1:571m 06/10/2012)
    Wow this chapter is long, sorry bout that Or maybe that's a good thing. Sets up a few plotlines though ... gah I'm rambling, enjoy!

Views: 2146.

Last edited by Inarus; October 05, 2012 at 07:58 PM.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus

This is a continuation of Lord of the Rings: Assassins Creed, but I started a new thread as Thoron's tale does not need to wholly follow Erion's.

New readers can come read this one without feeling the pressure to have to read the other AC tale first.

Plus it's nice working with new clean threads

NEW PART

Please subscribe to the thread guys! And please comment!!!
    Last edited by Inarus; October 24, 2011 at 06:26 PM.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. NEW PART: Part 4: Fortress of Iron

New Part!

Utterly mad it is, writing in the first age. Sauron has a body (and my description of him being Vampiric is not based on false grounds, it just adds to the evil ). And Balrogs are far more common, but are much less bad-ass. They are the ultimate enemy, when one shows up, someone dies, it's a fact of Middle-earth, Gandalf is just one.

And Elves, they are much more bad-ass (< like my use of technical terminology? ). One First Age elf is 1000 times stronger than a Third Age elf, they stand up to Dark Lords in person and almost win, they stand up to Balrogs and win (kinda), and they are always good, corruptible, but never evil.

Anyway, enjoy. And please, please, please comment! Rep to those who speak up!
    Last edited by Inarus; October 30, 2011 at 05:43 PM.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. NEW: Chapter 4 and 5: Fortress of Iron / Duel with Doom. Please comment

nice work keep up i want to see the ending

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. NEW: Chapter 4 and 5: Fortress of Iron / Duel with Doom. Please comment

New Part!

Not satisfied with the description of the most beautiful woman in Tolkien's universe, the woman whose name accompanies that of Tolkien's wife on their grave. It's just too short.

Anyway, enjoy, short but sweet. Leading on to the important stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Koslab View Post
    nice work keep up i want to see the ending
    Thank you! +Rep

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. NEW: An Audience with the King. Please comment

New Part!

Okay that cuts nicely to the point and should lead on to some adventures . . . pity that Middle-earth is so . . . dull at this point, few of the cities have been founded yet.

I also removed all uses of "Morgoth" as this name was given to Melkor much later in the narrative, for now he is just Melkor, the fallen Vala.

Hope that's all for now. Will have to speed things up and get the Elves migrating.

Farewell until next time, by which time Assassin's Creed: Revelations may even be out . . . that hook blade could come in rather useful for scaling some of these nasty peaks of Beleriand.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. NEW: The Plan. . . Please comment

New Part,

What I say here shall now also be noted in the Update Log so that there is a concise list of notes.

I am swiftly moving the tale towards some action, give me 1 chapter then I think it's time that this group made their mark on the Timeline of Arda .

And after that, a spot of War, Civil War methinks .

Oh and to fans of Assassin's Creed, Revelations is awesome, better than Brotherhood for both single and multiplayer.

Please comment!
    Last edited by Inarus; November 18, 2011 at 08:48 PM.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter VIII: Into the Wild - Please Comment!

New Part

Okay, the last of the uneventful chapters is written.

As the prequel to my Erion tale (though perhaps it should be viewed as a tale told through Velenia's last look into the Palantír), I aim to view this as Assassin's Creed I, by which I mean a lot of those fun assassinations, all planning, caution and targets. Urgh I speaking rubbish I think, but basically, targets to kill and then an escape.

Next chapter should feature just that, then I intend to return the Assassins to the Undying Lands where they can witness the unfolding of the most important tale of the First Age.

This tale is also, as a secondary point, my way of retelling the Silmarillion in a bit more detail, Tolkien covers in a few pages of the Silmarillion what he would cover in multiple chapters in the Lord of the Rings. I want to stay faithful to some extents, and manipulate the plots in others. I shall try to point out where I do (if at all).

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter IX: Thoughts alongside Sirion

New Part, the ending was a tad rushed but fumbling around dark passages was not something I wanted to dwell on. As for the secret passage at the end, Angband had a few Hidden Gates leading out, possibly to spring a surprise attack or two.

-----
    The nameless Maiar hopefully died, the specifics of such beings are hard to ascertain. The body at least lies slain but spirits are a fickle thing in Tolkien's world, though Sauron's had an external life force (the Ring) keeping him alive.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter IX: Thoughts alongside Sirion

New, short part, with a longer and more actionpacked one to follow soon I hope.

Happy New Year, fellow readers!
    Last edited by Inarus; January 01, 2012 at 09:46 AM.

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XI: Clawed

A New Long Part!

Welcome to 2012!

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XII: Wild Steeds

Hey man, don't stop this. I bet a lot of people are just silent readers, like me.
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XII: Wild Steeds

Quote Originally Posted by Your Lame Sister View Post
    Hey man, don't stop this. I bet a lot of people are just silent readers, like me.
    Thanks, new part in reward! (And rep, but that's not important )

Also fixed some stupid errors that Lore purists would kill me for, how I had them in to begin with... urgh...

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XIII: Return to Aman

Well go on already!
    "Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone, you may still exist, but you have ceased to live." - Mark Twain

"I am against nature. I don't dig nature at all. I think nature is very unnatural. I think the truly natural things are dreams, which nature can't touch with decay." - Bob Dylan

"Faith in God means believing, absolutely, in something with no proof whatsoever. Faith in humanity means believing, absolutely, in something with a huge amount of proof to the contrary. WE are the true believers." - Joss Whedon

Argh writers block and two essays to write for a week's time. If I could think up plotlines for Aman that would be excellent, or even better if people raised suggestions. I might try to put some thought into it at the moment, the issue is I have about four centuries to fill and very little material to work with. Gods! Orcs did not even appear in Beleriand for another few centuries, I changed that slightly considering nobody walks that close to Angband to see orcs

New part Now off to write essays ...

Default Re: Assassin's Creed: Thoron, by Inarus. Chapter XIV: Upon the Road

New part to celebrate the submission of one of my essays, hurray! Now off to slave over the other... or more likely I'll end up writing the next chapter... anyone have epic ideas for assassination devices? I feel reluctant to go with the usual hidden blade

08/03/2012 - 18:56 - Fixed inaccuracies.

XV: 925
    Last edited by Inarus; March 08, 2012 at 12:57 PM.

Great new part, but inaccurate. Melkor's murder of Finwe was supposed to be the first blood spilled on aman.

New Part!

Note that "treelight" refers to the Light of the Two Trees... obvious, but worth noting. It seems to work as well as "sunlight".

I've also fixed an inaccuracy as was above mentioned (spoiler tag si vous plais? ) Just the scene where the barman (barman? bar-elf? ) is found attacked in the alleyway and the beginning of the chapter that follows.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast