Thread: Install FATW using Steam

gaiusjulii's Avatar Yari-hei

Default Install FATW using Steam

Ok I know that a lot of people are having a ton of trouble using mods with the Steam versions of totalwar it's not just RTW but all of the TW games. However after much combing of the forums I have managed to get enough information from various places to be able install most mods. I would like to remind people that I am running this on Vista but from what I have read you should be able to do the same with Windows7.

First make a copy of your vanilla files.

Download the current version of FATW here http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=365719

Now you have the file FATW_TNS_2.6_Full to install right click on the file and click Run As Administrator.

The installer will give you a directory to save into but this is for shop bought games only. You will have to change it to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\rome total war gold Important do not put into the BI folder just click onto the RTW folder the installer will do the rest.

Once the Installer has finished DO NOT RUN the game just yet first go to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common and right click on the rome total war gold folder and click on properties then go to the Security Tab under a box containing all your user names you will see the button Edit click on this.

A new window will open similar to the previous one but you will notice that at the bottom of the window the list of options called Permissions for Home (or whatever user name your using) and you will now be able to tick the Allow/Deny permissions. Now Click the full control box at the top and all the boxes below should automatically tick also. Now click OK and a small window will appear running through all the files that it is changing the permissions to. Once this finishes just click ok to exit all the boxes.

Now go the Desktop and Delete the FATW Shortcut as this does not work for Steam Users.

Bottom right corner of your Window you should see your programs currently running, Double click on the Steam Icon and once Steam opens go to Games at the top of the window and click on it and select View Games Library, Now right click on the Rome: Total War Gold Edition and go to properties. In this window select Set Launch Options. This box should be empty of text. Now Input -show_err -nm -mod:bi/ci in this window and select Ok. Now press close and then little X in the top right corner this should take you back to your desktop.

Right Click the Steam Icon and select Rome: Total War Gold Edition to launch the game when the box appears asking if you want to play Rome or BI just click on The BI version and click OK.

I have done this myself and FATW works fine on My comp. Hope this Helps guys/Gals.
    UKIP Time for a change.

Infowars.com Wake up.

Ikko-Ikki

Default Re: Install FATW using steam.

I can not find the "Security" thing in properties, I am on windows XP, does that make a difference?

Aradan's Avatar Flame Imperishable

Default Re: Install FATW using steam.

Yes, XP don't have that tab, you can ignore that part.

gaiusjulii's Avatar Yari-hei

XP doesn't have the UAC so as Aradan said just skip that but still install as admin just to avoid any probs.

Going underground
    UKIP Time for a change.

Infowars.com Wake up.

Ikko-Ikki

Default Re: Install FATW using Steam

So I did all of your instructions to the letter, but whenever I start Rome BI I get a window that pops up saying

Generic Error:

Unable to find skeleton 'fs_mumak_small'

Hope you can help me with this problem.

Aradan's Avatar Flame Imperishable

Is your BI patched to 1.6?

Badmanis's Avatar Vexillifer

Okey so i installed this mod and it works almost, i can press on everything besides new campaign, any1 know why? Or is it just stating that you are creating a campaign, and its not possible to press it.

Im retarded. Sorry for bothering got the answer by checking a lets play video with this mod.

Thanks for solving this problem.
    Last edited by Badmanis; December 31, 2013 at 12:32 PM.

Carl Jung was right's Avatar Signifer

I tried giving this mod a chance, but I've had a lot of frustration setting it up. I followed all installation instructions carefully, only to find that the game failed to launch, displaying the "problem starting up steam" error message, and directing me to the steam store. Even using Paedric's steam mod launcher, which worked perfectly before, failed to solve the issue this time. After looking all over the internet for a solution, and trying many different things, I've finally managed to get the mod to run properly. This step involved downloading a no cd patch for BI, overwriting the game's main exe files with it and creating a shortcut for it and adding -show_err -nm -mod:bi/ci, in the target blank under properties. Now mind you, I have purchased two legal copies of Rome Total War over the years one physical, which I gave away to a friend, and one from Steam. I'm only resorting to this method because I'm utterly FED up with steam issues I've been having with this game, which prevent me from playing it at all, not just with this mod, but with others and vanilla. As far as I see it, this is entirely the fault of the steam's game client, which, after all these years, failed to resolve compatibility issues with Rome Total War.

If anyone knows a better method to resolve the "Problem starting up Steam" issue without resorting to semi-legal options, because so far I've tried literally everything, and only this managed to do the trick.

Libertus

When i install it dosent appear in rome total war gold folder help! ;(

Aquilifer

It should be in the bi folder, I think
    Allegiance declared to

Thread Information