Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Thanks. If PCP meets my permission requirements (see the OP) and you want the submod then PM me: changing it manually to suit PCP would be a lengthy process ... I have alternative means.

Default Re: Bodyguard Switcher (change bodyguards in-game) v2.2 [3.2 compatible]

Does This work with MOS 17.0?

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Quote Originally Posted by ciank14 View Post
    Does This work with MOS 17.0?
    Welcome to TWC, ciank14!
    No, it does not.
    There was a version for 1.62, but it was not updated for MOS by Withwnar, nor will he make it work with MOS.

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Withwnar

Hello. The bodyguard switch mod is a fantastic tool.

I have some questions. I want to add the bodyguard cavalry of the High Elves to the Silvan Elves. I managed to do it with Thranduil, Legolas Haldir and Celeborn in the descr_strat file . I also added mongols (Silvan Elves) to the ownership in the export_descr: unit file. This way bodyguards coming to age get the cavalry unit. I also added the file from Egypt to Mongols in the unit_info folder the get rid of the Roman peasant. But how do I add it to the bodyguard switch mechanism? Now I start with cavalry, but if I switch to Sindar Archers there is no way to go back to Cavalry?
    "Alea iacta est"

It's a huge script, about 100,000 lines. Changing it - to add a unit - by hand would be difficult and explaining how to would take ages.

What you could do is change it so that it uses your cavalry unit instead of one of the others BGS is currently using for that faction, e.g. Elf Bodyguard.

In campaign_script.txt (save a backup!) find the section between these comments...

Code:
    ;[TWCG_START_BGS]
    ;#####################################################################      
    ;####################### Bodyguard Switcher ##########################
    ;#####################################################################
    Code:
    ;##################### Bodyguard Switcher [END] ######################
    ;[TWCG_END_BGS]
    ...and in there replace all occurrences of "Elf Bodyguard" with your cavalry unit's type name.

Script changes aren't save game compatible; you'll need to start a new campaign.

You'll probably also want to change the unit's name in the messages that BGS displays. In historic_events.txt the BGS stuff is between theses comments...

Code:
    ¬[TWCG_START_BGS]
    ¬---############# Bodyguard Switcher [START] #############

¬---############# Bodyguard Switcher [END] ###############
    ¬[TWCG_END_BGS]
    ...in there replace all occurrences of "Sindar Archers" (the game name for type Elf Bodyguard) with the game name of your cavalry unit.

If you want to change the picture for the unit choice too then that's in data/ui/southern_european/eventpics. e.g. In historic _events.txt it says this...

{BGS_UNIT_63_TITLE}Sindar Archers

...so the picture you want to change is BGS_UNIT_63.tga.

Quote Originally Posted by Strategos Autokrator View Post
    The bodyguard switch mod is a fantastic tool.
    Thank you.

I can see that I have to change this for every name possible (309 in total) between line 162351 and 174440. That is a lot of work to do manually. Can I replace, say, Silvan Archers instead of the Elf Bodyguard unit? I doesn't have to be a "bodyguard" unit?
    "Alea iacta est"

Can I replace, say, Silvan Archers instead of the Elf Bodyguard unit? I doesn't have to be a "bodyguard" unit?
    Elf Bodyguard was just an example. Replace any one you like.

Just be aware that if BGS is also using that unit for other factions then you'll be replacing it for them too unless you're very careful to avoid that. I can't remember if BGS does have the same unit in more than one faction. Pretty sure the Silvan units aren't used by anyone else.

I can see that I have to change this for every name possible (309 in total) between line 162351 and 174440. That is a lot of work to do manually.
    Search & Replace. All text editors have such a function, maybe "Find & Replace" or just "Replace". Good editors have a "replace all" option that does it all one action, e.g. Notepad++.

The trick is to limit the replacing to just the BGS script, so you're not replacing any other occurrences of the unit in the rest of TATW's script. You could cut (not copy) and paste the BGS script into another document, replace all in there, then copy and paste all of that back into the original file. Or select all of the BGS script and use a "selected text only" option with the replace action (Notepad++ lets you do that: "in selection").

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

To use (as Withwnar refer to) Notepad++ and not nomral Notepad is highly recommended as it's much more functional. It's a freeware: https://notepad-plus-plus.org/download/v7.5.5.html

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

I just recently downloaded Notepad++ after watching (link below), but I've just started using it. I will fiddle around with it and see what I can do. Thank you Withwnar for taking your time to answer my (maybe stupid) questions. I really appreciate it! When I have finished the campaign I'm playing as the Silvan Elves I'll try adding a new unite. I'm 85 turns in and close to annihilating Mordor. I've been playing through several of the factions in order to adjust some of the stats on the units.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3ua55kDrgU
    "Alea iacta est"

Ok, I did what you said and it worked just fine. Cut it out, changed all in one go and passed it back. I also changed the message and picture. But where can I find the criteria for some of the switches, such as +5 dread for Nazgul and so on? I want to make it slightly harder to get some of the bodyguard units. Such as possession of Rhovanost and Thornburg if you want heavy cavalry as Silvan Elves.

Is there a cap on units in the game? I'd like to see if I can add duplicate units to the game so that they have only 77 men as infantry. Is it possible to make the game remember the experience a unit had when you turn it back to that type of unit?
    "Alea iacta est"

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Ok, I did what you said and it worked just fine. Cut it out, changed all in one go and passed it back. I also changed the message and picture. But where can I find the criteria for some of the switches, such as +5 dread for Nazgul and so on? I want to make it slightly harder to get some of the bodyguard units. Such as possession of Rhovanost and Thornburg if you want heavy cavalry as Silvan Elves.Is there a cap on units in the game? I'd like to see if I can add duplicate units to the game so that they have only 77 men as infantry. Is it possible to make the game remember the experience a unit had when you turn it back to that type of unit?
    yes 500 nbo the game cant remember the XP of a unit
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

It's too complicated to explain how the requirements work and it would be very easy to break the whole thing by one wrong step.

Is it possible to make the game remember the experience a unit had when you turn it back to that type of unit?
    I wish it was; I would have used it.

Is there a way to turn off the requirements in your bodyguard switch mod? I would like to turn of Black Gate as a requirement for Morannon guard; Boromir, Faramir and Denethor as a requirement for Fountain Guard; Moria as an requirement for Guards of Khazad-dûm, Dain's Halls as requirement for Dragonslayers of Ered-Mithrin, and Erebor as a requirement for Axemen of Erebor.

I would like to change all the bodyguards to something else, so I have to get rid of the requirements. For the dwarfs I want pikemen, crossbowmen, two-handed axemen and halberds as an example.
    Last edited by Strategos Autokrator; October 29, 2020 at 05:22 PM.
    "Alea iacta est"

The red lines are for two of those things you mentioned. You'll find similar in that part of the script for the other things. Just comment them out or delete them.

Code:
                  ;Fountain Guard
                  if I_EventCounter bgs_unit == 0
                    and I_EventCounter bgs_char_rule_1 == 1  ;Boromir, Denethor & Faramir
                    and I_EventCounter bgs_city == 94  ;Minas Tirith
                    campaign_wait 0.4
                    set_event_counter bgs_unit_22_declined 0
    Code:
                  ;Morannon Guard
                  if I_EventCounter bgs_unit == 0
                    and I_EventCounter bgs_city == 20  ;Black Gate
                    campaign_wait 0.4
                    set_event_counter bgs_unit_44_declined 0

Thank you. It worked out just fine. I even found out how to change the requirement to another building so that I can change the BG in whatever settlement I want. I have currently tied this to the lowest level wall in the settlement. Is it possible to remove this requirement entirely?

One more question. Is it possible to expend on the script so that you first select unit, then armour upg of that unit, and last the exp of the unit. I know, it will be a very large script, but technically, is it possible? If we have 6 units * 2 armour upg * 10 exp levels, give us 120 possibilities.
    "Alea iacta est"

Settlement level: somewhere in there will be monitors checking the presence of wall buildings and setting a counter. That counter will be used somewhere else as a condition. Remove that condition.

Armour and Experience: technically possible, yes. I don't have time to explain how though.

Understandable. It's above my pay grade anyway. If it's possible there is hope someone brighter than me will do it.

You have been very helpful. Without your help I never would have been able to finish my mod (which I have). In hindsight I can see that many of my questions were a bit stupid, but that's how we learn when we start from scratch. I wish I could give you more rep though.
    "Alea iacta est"