Inspired by Hresvelgr's thread on England vs. Japan, here's one that I've always wondered about. I've got two fictional scenarios for people to consider, should they be interested.
1. Suppose the Kanto Three (Hojo, Takeda, and Uesugi) banded together, is there a realistic chance for them to stop Nobunaga? If so, you are [insert whoever you want to be here. Katsuyori, Ujimasa, Kenshin). What do you do?
2. Suppose you're Oda. Short of tearing apart the alliances (which is what he did), how would you go about engaging these three clans? Assume your rear is covered by saru-chan and that he's more than competent to handle himself against the Mori, and require no reinforcements from your part, leaving you free to devote full attention to the Kanto region. What do you do?
- Oda at the peaking of its strength, having just defeated the Asakura and Azai clans.
- Takeda clan strength assessed immediately after Shingen's death - ie. before Katsuyori's victory at Takatenjin.
- Hojo does not form an alliance with the Oda, but instead remains faithfully allied to the other two. Presumably, the goal for the allied forces is to eliminate Oda and then duke it out amongst themselves - if their plan succeeds, that is.
- Oda has formally militarized its state. Levies were in place, as are professional ashigaru. He had extensive trade networks, a legion of skilled generals, and a veritably huge fief. Most importantly are the separation between the military and the "everyone else group", and rakuichi rakuza, and business was booming.
Points to consider:
- Katsuyori will still lay siege to Takatenjin. This is a plan that's already set in motion, and to change that will change Katsuyori's character far too much to be realistic.
- Uesugi Kenshin will still die in 1578. Any major battles fought, if one wish to consider using Kenshin as commander, should take place prior to that date. We know historically that Oda was afraid of Kenshin, though we all know that the realistic chance of Uesugi taking on Oda post Nagashino is pretty much impossible.
- This alliance takes place after Katsuyori's disastrous defeat at Nagashino. How would this affect the alliance, it is formed immediately after?