Thread: Reinforcements not attacking?

Default Reinforcements not attacking?

I am NOT talking about them not entering the battle field Im talking about them lining up behind me and watching my army get slaughtered!

Im playing as Rome and Parthia is one of 3 superpowers left. I engaged them with 2 armies of around 700 and they had 2 armies of 700, 1400 vs 1400. About as equal in numbers as it gets. I thought this was going to be epic. My army was 10 units of cavalry, 3 units of archers, 6 Legionary units and a General.

My idea was to let my other army engage the first Parthian army and I would hit them from behind with all my cavalry then we would take out the 2nd Parthian army.

We'll I got suckered in to attacking the first army like an idiot but I though no problem. My other army was lining up behind me. Then...they..just..stood there. I didnt realize it until my army was surrounded.

I was allmost screaming at them ATTACK for hecks sake! I wound up admitting defeat before my army was totally annihilated.

My army had around 500 losses.
    2nd army none.

Default Re: Reinforcements not attacking?

Odd. For me its in reverse. The enemy's reinforcements are always Delayed and never show up so I end up obliterating whole armies piecemeal.

"In a man to man fight the winner is he with one more bullet in his clip."
    - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

"Suffer not the Witch to live, nor the Heretic to spread his lies!"

It was weird. When I realized they weren't joining in I looked behind me and they are lined up in a perfect line with the cavalry rushing forward then turning back. If my army wasnt hopelessly surrounded I would have pulled back and made them fight.

Cathedralsquares i think i no how to solve your problem you have to go into the data folders and put true next to the one that says like "unlimited_men TRUE then there reinforcements will all be in the battle ile find the exact folder for you in a sec

TheRomanRuler's Avatar Campidoctor

EDIT: Nothing..
    Last edited by TheRomanRuler; October 23, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
    Apologies for anyone who's message i may miss or not be able to answer

unlimited_men_ON_battlefield has to be set to true in the preference file.
    Proudly under the patronage of Tone
    Roma Surrectum Local Moderator

If I decide to go back and edit the preference file in favor of unlimited troops, do I have to start a new campaign to utilize the new setting?
    Last edited by Arvedui01; October 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM.
    Signature removed, please check your inbox.~ TWC Moderation Staff

Thanks for the input guys but 2 things:

1 unlimited men has been true for about 4 months

2 They were already ON the battlefield half an arrow shot behind me and we were close to the middle of the map

If I have a save close enough to it (or if I saved right before the battle) I'll post a screen shot if I can recreate it.

Most probably they were under AI control and the BAI decided to adopt a defensive stance.

Chris Death's Avatar Campidoctor

@Jasper9080: the unlimited men on bf hint was not directed towards you but to Cathedralsquares.

Could it be that the odds were against your two armies?

If so you have to consider that an ai army will rather behave defensive instead of going for an attack
    so that could be a reason why they lined up behind you.

~S~ CD
    Ever wanted to be able to attack the city of rome the second turn when playing a roman faction yourself in RTW? then click here

|Sith|IV|Chris_Death

My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Chrisdeath69?gvnc=1

~S~ CD

Ahhh, OK that makes sense. Now that I know I'll be more aware of what my re enforcements are doing. I just have never encountered that before.

Thanks.

Im having the same problem with reinforcements always being delayed like cathedralsquare, so if i turn unlimited men to true will it effect my save game or must i restart for thr changes to take effect?

Quote Originally Posted by need help View Post
    Im having the same problem with reinforcements always being delayed like cathedralsquare, so if i turn unlimited men to true will it effect my save game or must i restart for thr changes to take effect?
    Try it. It should be fairly easy. Load a save from before changing it and play a test battle.