Thread: Something is wrong with the Norse Bersekers

Default Something is wrong with the Norse Bersekers

Hi there,

Something is wrong with the Bersekers of the 3 Norse factions. Without any experience or bonus, they have 18 attack, 37 defense, armor piercing, bonus against cavalry, only 200 upkeep and they can be recruited from the 2nd barrack.
    As a comparison, the Celt Bersekers have 12 attack and 29 defense, 180 upkeep and can only be recruited from the 3rd barrack.
    I also did a test, a Berseker unit destroys a hirdmenn unit (best norse unit, recruitable from the 4th barrack) and lose only from 5 to 10 men.

So, unless I am missing something, the Norse Bersekers appear to be quite overpowered. That may be a reason why Denmark is so successful on the continent. So, I'd like to modify the Bersekers' stats. Anybody has an idea of what would be appropriate stat-wise in this particular mod?

Thanks

Default Re: Something is wrong with the Norse Bersekers

well, I would probably just remove the two hitpoint stat, the Bersekers are still formidable without it. Maybe raise the level of barracks they can be recruited at.

The problem with Denmark running over the Eastern Franks is that the Franks have a shortage of money. Raise their kings purse to around 6000 and they do fine against Denmark, in my campaigns they tent to even beat them. Anyway, does it not make sense that the Frankish Empire would have access to more resorces than the Danes?

Good ideas. I removed 1 hitpoint, but the bersekers were still able to beat any unit in the game. So I reduced their armor from 37 to 30, and now it makes more sense. They are beaten by the hirdmenn, but they still decimate 3/4 of the unit.

It still needs more tweaking, but it's already better. With high attack and low defense, they excel to attack the enemy on the flank or the rear, but they will sustain high casualties if used as your front line (makes sense, they are almost naked for God sake!)

And concerning the Frankish, can the king's purse be modified during a campaign, or it needs a restart?

Glad you are happier with it. As far as the kings purse is concerned, you change it in the descr_strat.txt, so unfortunetly you need to start a new campaign.

About the kings purse, I believe I raised everyones a bit, but I have the Franks at twice as much as the Danes, so for me that was 6000, but for you it might be different.

In my game I modded a whole bunch of things myself, I overhauled the whole map. Completely changed the terrain, got rid of all the floating cities (London for example) and made some of the coasts more natural. Made the Normans able to build the hospital and monastary, gave the normans a realistic horse model, and redid their UI cards to correspond with them, did some basic game balancing, etc. Theres more but thats all I can think of right now. Im not quite done with it, but was thinking of releasing it as a submod. Whats your opinion on that, is there anything else you can think of, or add?

Heathen Storm's Avatar Where's my axe?

Quote Originally Posted by Oberbefehlshaber View Post
    Glad you are happier with it. As far as the kings purse is concerned, you change it in the descr_strat.txt, so unfortunetly you need to start a new campaign.

About the kings purse, I believe I raised everyones a bit, but I have the Franks at twice as much as the Danes, so for me that was 6000, but for you it might be different.

In my game I modded a whole bunch of things myself, I overhauled the whole map. Completely changed the terrain, got rid of all the floating cities (London for example) and made some of the coasts more natural. Made the Normans able to build the hospital and monastary, gave the normans a realistic horse model, and redid their UI cards to correspond with them, did some basic game balancing, etc. Theres more but thats all I can think of right now. Im not quite done with it, but was thinking of releasing it as a submod. Whats your opinion on that, is there anything else you can think of, or add?
    That would be cool I would like to see what you have done to change it.

Proud mod leader, modeller and public relations officer of Heiğinn Veğr: Total War

Quote Originally Posted by Oberbefehlshaber View Post
    Im not quite done with it, but was thinking of releasing it as a submod. Whats your opinion on that, is there anything else you can think of, or add?
    With so many modifications, yeah you should release a submod with it for sure! I'd be curious to try it in a new campaign, maybe the Normans. What is the problem of floating cities by the way ?