Thread: Choose your faction heir [RELEASED]

Default Choose your faction heir [RELEASED]

Credits

I simply modified an existing mod to fit the Last Kingdom files, all the credit goes to Amaranth and those who helped him in the first place. Have a look at this thread http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=381796 . It explains very well the process and the rationale of this submod, it even has an illustrated tutorial for those not familiar with the process of transferring ancillaries ingame. Go +rep him

Description

Like the title says, this submod allows you to choose your next faction heir by yourself, instead of letting the game nominate a family member that you don't necessarily like. The process is very simple, no need for the console or any complicated devices.
    This submod adds a new ancillary, "Heir Crown", to your current faction heir. Just transfer this ancillary (drag the ancillary icon over the icon of another family member while both characters are in the same army) to the family member that you wish to be the next heir. When your current faction leader dies, your current faction heir will become leader, and the man who possess the "Heir Crown" ancillary will become the new faction heir.

You cannot change your current faction heir, what you choose is the next one
    (and then the next one, etc.).

Important information

• The Last Kingdom version: I use the 3.06 version
    • Savegame compatibility: I believe this submod is savegame compatible and can be used in your current campaign. That's what I did in my own campaign and I never had any problem. But, Amaranth advises to start a new campaign with the original mod, because some players experienced problems with the ancillary system afterward. Other players mentions that the original mod is fully savegame compatible. Personnally, I often modified these particular .txt files during many campaigns in M2TW and RTW, and never had any problem of any sort. Also, I added the new ancillary at end of the .txt files as opposed to somewhere in the middle (like the original mod), which should prevent problems for existing campaigns. So, it's your decision.
    • Don't let your faction heir die before your faction leader: If your FH dies before your FL, the script will not work. There won't be any CTD of death or anything, but the game will choose your next faction heir without your consent.
    • Unification of Norway hotfix is included in this submod, so don't worry about that.

Installation

Make a copy of the original files just to be sure, because they will be overwritten.
    Place export_descr_ancillaries.txt and export_descr_character_traits.txt into \"Your Medieval II folder"\mods\Last_Kingdom\data
    Place export_ancillaries.txt into \"Your Medieval II folder"\mods\Last_Kingdom\data\text
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Chinaski; October 21, 2011 at 02:33 PM.

Macrath's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Choose your faction heir [RELEASED]

Domesticus

Is this compatable with the Ua Niell mod?

And do you mean that if the faction heir dies before the faction leader, the script is ruined for the entire game, or just for the instance?

I have a tendency to use my faction heirs as generals. Kind of a romance thing, the Prince of the Munster is taking it across the Irish Sea right in the face of the Mercians, to rule the Irish Empire!

Cheers for this chinaski.
    Last edited by Charlatan; December 20, 2011 at 06:07 PM.

Thank you for this, Chinaski. I'm assuming this works for other TW games as well? I've always hated not knowing who my next faction heir was.

Vipman's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by kellakk View Post
    Thank you for this, Chinaski. I'm assuming this works for other TW games as well? I've always hated not knowing who my next faction heir was.
    no, i am 140% sure this only works only for this mod because the traits and ancillaries must have changed from vanilla. different system of traits, different faction heir fix needed. btw next heir becomes the family member with highest authority. look at the traits to find out.
    Last edited by Vipman; March 19, 2012 at 03:29 PM.

Laetus

I accidentally overwrote my original files and didnt back them up correctly, i was hoping someone could attach copies of the original ancillary files for SS 6.4, or direct me to where i can get them. Seems silly to have to reinstall the whole thing. Thanks

Thanks you for this mod !
    I use it and it's great !

Just a question : my FH accidently die before my FL. The next was choose randomly, as you said. But after the new FL die, the script still not working. Now, i have mads kings dynasty
    Is it normal ?

Really Nice

Incredible Bulk's Avatar Vicarius

How will you install this in a mod?

riuk881's Avatar Semisalis

will this work with Stainless Steel 6.4?

Sky Walker's Avatar Tiro

Can this work for vanilla M:TW and Kingdoms or some other mods? If not, can you please explain how to do it for another mod?

Is this mod not available anymore? I can't find it in the downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekker78 View Post
    Yes! I can confirm this. I would really be nice to have this submod. I always use it with SS, so would be convenient to have it with TLK.

Quote Originally Posted by Dekker78 View Post
    Would also like to know this!

You can PM some of the people who got it and ask them if they still have it. Or you can transfer the SS one to TLK.

Would love to have the files as well

Libertus

Is there a charitable soul who could reupload this submod, please? Would love to try it.

In TLK 4.0 Unofficial this feature does not work. I gave the crown to family members twice, and twice they did not become the next heir when faction leader died. Might be connected to the fact that only a portion of the family tree is shown, many family members don't fit into it I'm guessing. And maybe only the members shown in the family tree work?..
    Last edited by trueman11; May 25, 2023 at 10:02 PM.