Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus

Default The Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus

High on the Capitoline Hill above the River Tiber sat the grandest Temple in all of Rome, the Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus. After climbing a rigorous hill, pilgrims would enter the vast space filled with incense and the singing of priests, they saw sacrifices being offered and libations poured. This was the home of the greatest of all Gods, Master of Fate and Lord of the Earth and Sky. Romans flocked from the country simply to offer a prayer here, and Spurius Octavius Cilo was one of the Augurs of the Temple. He stood one morning early after having lit more incense and having opened the doors and made a sacrifice after observing the omens, he began to pray,

"Iane, Iuppiter, Mars pater, Quirine, Bellona, Lares, diui Nouensiles, di Indigetes, diui quorum est potestas nos rorum hostiumque, dique manes, uos precor, ueneror, ueniam peto feroque, uti populo Romano Quiritium uim uictoriam prosperetis hostesque populi Romani Quiritium terrore formidine morteque adficiatis. Sicut uerbis nuncupaui, ita pro Re Publica Populi Romani Quiritium, exercitu, legionibus, auxiliis populi Romani Quiritium, legiones auxiliaque hostium mecum deis Manibus Tellurique deuoueo."

He then proceeded to walk around the Temple praising Jupiter at each corner of it, he then took the lamb that had been sacrificed and placed the Organs at the statue of Jupiter's feet and gave the meet to the Priests who would give it to the poor asking for Jupiter's aid.

"Oh Father Jupiter, hear our prayer."

OOC: This will be my RP of religion thread

Sacrifices Made Severus Caecilius Metellus - 2 White Doves
    Quaestor Tranquilus - One Bull
    Consul Aquila - One White Ox
    Last edited by M D; October 22, 2011 at 09:52 AM.

Default Re: The Temple of Jupiter Optimus Maximus

Cilo began to write, for that was one of his talents, he wrote the following ode and had it placed all over Rome, especially near the Temple,

What god shall Rome invoke to stay
    Her fall? Can suppliance overbear
    The ear of Vesta, turn'd away
    From chant and prayer?
    Who comes, commission'd to atone
    For crime like ours? at length appear,
    A cloud round thy bright shoulders thrown,
    Jupiter, come forth!

Or Venus, laughter-loving dame,
    Round whom gay Loves and Pleasures fly;
    Or thou, if slighted sons may claim
    A parent's eye,

Several days later, Cilo began to celebrate the festival of Jupiter Optimus Maximus celebrating the day the Romans began on their own after Romulus disappeared from the Earth and the god of fates set into motion the Roman destiny. Donations to the temple increased tenfold and visitors became so many that the pilgrims had to spend a limited amount of time in the shrine. Cilo smiled as he saw many more after his recent announcements on the state of affairs. Afterwards the city went into public holiday, the Senate closed, the games were put on and the people of Rome began to celebrate. A special piece of music had been composed especially.

Severus Caecilius Metellus arrives at the Temple of Iupiter Optimus Maximus Capitolinus dressed a a private citizen, it was obvious he was on no official business that day. He carries with him a bundle containing two doves. The birds blinked stupidly in the sunlight, their white feathers complimenting the marble steps leading up tp the main sanctuary. Severus sought out Cilo to perform the rites he had come to perform. He knew that with his stammer he might very well botch the prayer and insult the gods rather than achieve his aims.

Cilo met Severus at the steps of the temple in the veil and garb of a Flamen,

"Severus, have you come to pay homage to Father Jupiter?"

Severus nodded.

And to offer a sacrifice for the success of the harvests this year. I know, it would be more appropriately offered at a shrine to Ceres, but I find that temple in disrepair and the priests lazy. The past few nights I have had dreams of horses galloping in a field. Wherever they trod, the green of the grass would be stolen away and it would wither and die. The horses made their way across the entire field until it was barren and utterly dead. I interpret this as a bad sign for the harvest in general, but particularly mine. It is my hope that Jupiter would receive my sacrifice and prayers to spare my farm.

Severus gestured to the two doves

It is not a bull, but it is all I could afford at this point. You see, I have invested quite a bit in the farms this year.

"For Father Jupiter is the god of fates, and any destiny of your farm can only be altered by him. I shall sacrifice these doves for you, Severus."

Cilo took the two doves and gestured for him to follow, they approached the altar of Jupiter and Cilo then stepped over the boundary that separated the main temple to the sacred area, reserved for the priests. He then washed his hands and arms in the bowl given to him, he then raised his veil over his head.. The doves were given ribbons of red and purple and small bells tied to their feet. Cilo ensured the doves were clean also. Cilo then turned towards the temple visitors,

"All who are women or foreigners, leave."

This was the ritual dismissal of all strangers, any stray animals were also removed, due to the Praefatio the next thing done was the lighting of incense and the pouring of wine into the brazier before Jupiter's statue.

"Father Jupiter, accept this sacrifice soon to be given to you, grant in your right as Lord of the Fates the grace of Ceres and your generosity to the farms of Severus Caecilius Metellus. Let the destiny of harvest be a good one, and give unto your sons in Rome great joys when the wheat is cut after a most bountiful growth."

Wine was then dabbed on the dove's head and tail, the ribbons removed and then an acolyte took a knife and ran it along the bird's back.. As the offering was to a god in olympus, the Doves' heads were held high and then the throat cut, the blood collected for a later ritual. The doves didn't make a noise, this was a good sign. When the blood had drained and the dove dead, the birds were placed on their backs and then cut open. The entrails were removed and examined by Cilo, he looked carefully and then nodded, the organs also looked normal,

"Thank you Lord Jupiter for accepting this offer."

The organs of the birds were then removed and the exta cut up, they were then cooked in an ornamental pot, after this they were removed and sprinkled with wine before being placed on the altar for Jupiter.

"Jupiter accept this sacrifice from your Flamen, Spurius Octavius Cilo. Send forth blessings to your subject on earth, Severus Caecilius Metellus. Benefit his farm and ensure his harvest is bountiful."

Once the exta was on the altar and after the prayer was complete, they were thrown into the flames, Cilo then placed his hand on the doves declaring them profane and fit for human consumption. Acolytes then began to play flute prayers, and parts of the dove consumed by Cilo, followed by Severus and then his client. They then all drank small amounts of sweet wine, and ate sweet cakes. Incense was then lit, and wine given to Severus to give as libation to Jupiter, and also to his Lares and Penates. Cilo then washed his hands once more and bowed before Jupiter, before lifting his veil and stepping back into the Temple proper,

"It is done, Severus."

Severus attempted to gauge the reaction to the examination of the entrails, but failed to note any reaction either way. The apprehension grew as the ritual continued and when it was completed Severus almost burst out at once with question, but he restrained himself and remained stoic until all the rites had been concluded.

Are the omens good, Cilo?

"The omens on the first dove were excellent, but the second.."

Cilo was still confused,

"The second worried me.. I must look into this more."

Severus made a mental note of the vendor who sold him the second dove. A Syrian man with a shifty look. Perhaps he would need to be thoroughly beaten by a gang of slaves for his error.

That is... disappointing to hear. Hopefully the second was merely a fluke, perhaps there was a slave bumbling about somewhere in the Temple. I will pour the libations and then depart, thank you for your time. And good luck in the election, I am sure the flamens will make the right choice.

"Fare thee well, Severus.. May Lord Jupiter let the fates guide your way."

Cilo went away, to consult the Sybillines on a certain matter

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Senator Gnaeus arrived to make an offering to Jupiter, he had brought with him a bull
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

The Bull is sacrificed along the similar guidelines (see above).. Cilo begins to look at the entrails, taking a very long time, umming an ahing.. He then turns, washes his hands and speaks to Gnaeus.

"Senator Gnaeus, the portents at first hazy now seem clear. You are to cease retreat and instead to advance, I am not sure how to interpret it for you, but I am sure you will."

The Sacrificial banquet then took place,

"Thank you Lord Jupiter for answering the prayer of your Pontifex Maximus for your mortal subject, Gnaeus Claudius Tranquilus."

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus thanked Jupiter in a similar fashion to the Pontifex's words, "I thank you Pontifex Maximus." Gnaeus prayed for a while, taking in the portents, his mind was now set upon his goal, he knew with Jupiters blessing that he would not fail...
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

As tradition required, Consul Aquila arrived with a white ox.
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Aquila is shown in, and both him and Cilo ritually wash,

"What is it you pray for, brother?"

Quintus arrived with a great white bull.
    These fine gentlemen's have thanks to their consistent idiotic posts have earned their place on my ignore list: mrmouth, The Illusionist, motiv-8, mongrel, azoth, thorn777 and elfdude. If you want to join their honourable rank you just have to post idiotic posts and you will get there in no time.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

Quote Originally Posted by Major Darling View Post
    Aquila is shown in, and both him and Cilo ritually wash,

"What is it you pray for, brother?"
    "I pray for the gods to bless the republic and our armies in Pontus."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Burcanius stepped in with a white lamb
    Last edited by Sonke; October 23, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
    The Roman Struggle: Publilus Sempremonius Lucullus, Roman Pro-Consul
    Aux character: Tetius Ateius Burcanius
    GSTK:Francois de Guyenne, Knight

Septimus arrives with an ox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Saint Nicholas View Post
    May I suggest ya'll get back on topic. Talk about Napoleon's ethnicity in another thread, this thread is about a leashed penis...
    Quote Originally Posted by Someone
    Life is routine, punctuated by excitement.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast