Thread: Northumbrians and Mercians

Ubermomo's Avatar Libertus

Default Northumbrians and Mercians

Hey guys, so what i want to know is who are the Northumbrians and Mercians? I know the Kingdom of Wessex are majority Saxons and the Kingdom of East Anglia are mainly Angles, but who are the Northumbrians and Mercians are they a mixture of Saxons, Angles and native Britains or mainly Angles etc etc etc

Thanks

Celtichugs123's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Northumbrians and Mercians

Northumbira was a Kingdom of Angles. Mercia, I believe, is a mix of Angle and Saxon - Angle north Saxon South. Even, then there was a strong North-South devide in England, not helped ofcourse by the coming of the Danes and the Danelaw. A devide still found today!

And both these Kingdoms, much more so Mercia, have some Brythonic populations. The Britons and Romano-British fled Eastward to central Wales when the Germanic peoples began to arrive. Though, the largest British population at this time within modern England, is Cornwall area - where even today a strong Celtic identity still remains (it is one of the 6 Celtic countries for example.)
    Last edited by Celtichugs123; October 12, 2011 at 06:57 AM.
    Vikingr

The Last Kingdom

“For myself, I find I become less cynical rather than more--remembering my own sins and follies; and realize that men's hearts are not often as bad as their acts, and very seldom as bad as their words.”
    - J.R.R Tolkien

Ubermomo's Avatar Libertus

Default Re: Northumbrians and Mercians

It amazes me how independent yet marginalised the Cornish were throughout history