Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: DRAGONBORN FIRST RELEASE - THE PLAYABLE HISTORICAL BATTLE OF HAAGEN PIKE. Wolfborn vs Eastern Empire

Squeaks's Avatar More full of whinging

Icon10 DRAGONBORN FIRST RELEASE - THE PLAYABLE HISTORICAL BATTLE OF HAAGEN PIKE. Wolfborn vs Eastern Empire

NOTE: tHE LINK TO D/L SEEMS TO BE JUMPY....TRY AGAIN IF IT GOES DAFT AND SAYS IT'S UNAVAILABLE.....

FOR PEOPLE NEW TO DRAGONBORN: Peek here if you want a little more background

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=466526

-----------------------------

HERE we release the first Dragonborn Playable Battle; the Historical Battle of Haagen Pike. Involving the Wolfborn and forces of the Eastern Empire, it is a vicious fight to the death on a long forgotten hilltop 3 miles distant from the now burning wooden keep of Haagen Pike, established as a beaconwatch against the depredations of the Wolfborn raiders.

Whilst in the past it had served it's purpose, it was never built to hold against a serious, determined, assault. The Great Jarle Vulpire Kraakenveil had left just such a force; thousands of WOlfborn has sailed from the WOlve Isles to the very edge of the Eatern Empire's eastern coasts, to plunder, burn, kill and take from the weak Imperial seed.

Elsewhere, the world was in turmoil. The Federation had assaulted the Eastern EMpire in the SOuth two weeks ago, and the fighting was fierce, dragging many of the Legions to hold against a massive force that had torn through the basic border defences with undenaiable ease.

To the north and west, Ashapur, in direct alliance with the Federal Council, had moved three armies, to strike into the provinces of the Myr Addat, Acasarena and Atakash. Their intial probes had gone well, and the EMpire was calling in the reserves of even distant provinces of Duinir and Dalthrasia. ALong the roads from Telmior, chariots led companies of horse and foot, hurrying to smash the hosts of Ashapur in a swift and decisive counter attack.

It had taken a month, and a great deal of patience, for the Federal diplomats to bring the WOlfborn into the war, but they had finally succeeded, and the Jarles had set forth with a massive fleet, to raid the coasts and strike deeper where the Legions had been withdrawn. The Great Jarle, of course, has made his mind up in mere minutes, but it wouldn't do to let these popinjays know that. It was far more amusing to see them swweat for their alliance, to scrape and bow to him, and, finally, to offer far more than even he had hoped.

---------------

THE WOLFBORN (Including Unit Screens)

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    The Great Jarle was surprised when his wolfweirds returned, their lips sticky with blood, to tell of the force that seemed to have appeared from nowhere, an Imperial army to contest their lands to his wolves. It mattered little in the end. His forces outnumbered them. WIth him now were the cream of the WOlver Isles - Godslayers, the Weirds, the massive, hulking Wyndlin Firs and Uthagir Kyrini. These were easily the match of whatever the EMpire could offer. No matter then. Here was a chance to annihilate what little defemnce there was, and then tear a bloody swathe through these lands, until their creaking ships could carry no more plunder home.

Today, he smiled, was a good day to die: Better yet, it was a day to reign over these scum on a throne built of their skulls, and drink from the blood of their heroes, to swallow some of their souls as they travelled along the way to Hell to tell the Drowning God that the Wolfborn were still ascendent! Blood, fire, foe and the slaying of the Empire's Sons!!

WYNDLIN FIRS

BEARWEIRDS

WOLFWEIRDS

REIVERS (AXE< SPEAR< BOW)

GODSLAYERS

UTHAGIR KYRINI

THE EMPIRE (Including Unit Screens)

Anderen Taine had stood in the rain the previous night, listening as his scouts told of the forces gathering off Haagen Pike. Wolfborn, with thje worst of their kind; beasts that walked as men...and worse. To attempt to defend the fort was suicide, so he had to leave them to their inevitable deaths; a fact that sickened him to his stomach.

With the coming of the dawn, this had changed. marching in small units, soldiers began to materialise from the dawn-mists, gathering around his tenet in lines of a hundred. With them had come legenday soldiers, unknown before to a lowly Legion COmmander - there were the riders of the Karesi - the Lionhearted; with them were Atakash Angelbloods, A squad of ANcillian Pitdogs, who immediately took over as his personal guard, and even a unit of the Imperial Warflame!

None of these should be within a hundred miles of here, yet they were. ALl told of dreams and portents, of shrouded visitors who came and went with urgent orders, bearing the seal of the great amongst the EMpire. WIthin an hour he found out how these men were here; there were monks, Knights of the Void Temple here, drawn here by searing visions from afar, with the mystic powers only they could command. The Cell Leader, a Seal of the Void Temple, had impressed upon him the importance of victory here, and the repercussions of failure, which would radiate a fate far more devastating than ANderen could see.

WHatever the meaning of this, his Legions had drawn themselves up a hill, compton point, arrangeing themselves in centuries old battle formations. The others, these heroes, arranged themselves around his men, and he could feel the steel in his formations and the men that made them. This would be a fight to rememeber, or one to fade into the blackness of death.

Down in the valley, the trees moved, and the first wolfborn strode from the eaves of the elder forests that had remained untouched for thousands of years. These men looked savage, their helms vicious, and the non-human foes also shambled in rough ranks forwards. He felt a ripple of fear in his men and screamed the Litany 'For one, as Brothers, for blood and for the EMperor!' His men screamed in return, and pikes lowered, arrows were notched to bows as grim eyed men took strength from those around them.

IMPERIAL WARFLAME

ATAKASH ANGELBLOODS

LEGION UNITS

LEGION PIKE

IMPERIAL UNIT: LEGION BOW

LEGION LANCERS

VOID KNIGHTS

KARESI LIONHEARTS (MOUNTED IN THIS BATTLE)

ANCILLIAN PITDOGS

THERE ARE SCREENS OF THE BATTLE AT THE END IN A CONTENT BOX!!

We listened!! The first battle is between Wolfborn/Eastern EMpire, and it IS a corker!! NOTE it is under single player>historical battles>Haagen Pike, PLUS you can use the units in custo abttles freely.

There is NO permission to use any of our stuff I'm afraid, except to the few people who don't need to ask, but will cos they're nice!

-----------------------

INSTRUCTIONS:

DOwnload the archived file 'Dragonborn' from HERE
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NMPEOCQM

I have paid for a Premium account so you can get it with ease rather than mess about and get frustrated SO, it should download unlimited concurrent downloads and should give high bandwidth to you all. Say 'thank you Squeak, you are wonderful indeed....a veritable legend, in fact!'. Or not, of course

Now, for those that know these things, it's simple indeed. Just download, unrar/zip the modfolder and stick the Dragonborn folder from INSIDE the folder created when unzipping into your mods root folder in MedII...in other words, it's fully modfoldered
    ------------------------

For everyone else.

Open Program FIles>Sega>Medieval Total WarII (or whatever the folder the game's in on your pc), then open the mods folder

Put the Rar file of Dragonborn in the root of the mods folder

THEN Go to unzip, brining up the path the unzipping software gives you for extraction

Where it says /Dragonborn as the final word, this will install the ACTUAL mod folder INTO a folder called dragonborn.

We don't want this, so delete the word dragonborn.

Then unzip...it will unzip into the mods folder of medII as a folder called simply Dragonborn.

Here, I've now entered that folder

NOW, to get a desktop shortcut, make a shortcut to the batch file Dragonborn (in the pic above) then drag the shortcut to desktop

AND the game beings windowed. If you want it to be fullscreen, you doubleclick on the Dragonborn cfg file, below the batch file, as shown here - open it

Then change

windowed = true

to

windowed = false

Ta Dah! FUll screeen

This may seem utterly ridiculous to show to some people, but, trust me, when I first tried to put a mod in, I was utterly bemused by it all, so I thought I'd give this guide...I hope it makes saense and stuff. Pm me if you have any probs, or write here. SOrry if it's not very good

--------------------

SO, you have a scenario where you have 2 armies facing off against one another.

The EMpire begin with their full army on board. They have to destroy ALL wolfborn to win.

WOlfborn begin with veterans, exotics and elites on the map, but the Reivers are marching hard from the sacking of Haagen POike and arrive in two waves of reinforcements. They CAN win by killing the Imperial General! It's more fun to kill ALL of them though!

Bear in mind with the WOlfborn that the Wyndlin Firs have ALREADY outflanked the EMpire...don't forget about them...they're nasty!!

--------------------

BATTLE SCREENS!!

PART OF THE IMPERIAL ARMY AT SETUP

IMPERIAL UNIT: ATAKASH ANGELBLOODS

IMPERIAL UNIT: LEGION PIKE

IMPERIAL UNIT: LEGION BOW

VOID KNIGHTS

MIXED VIEW WOLFBORN - UTHAGIR KYRINI, REIVERS AND BEAR WEIRDS

Now I want you to discover the WOlfborn, as you voted them the first playable battle...but here's one sneak peek:

NOTES, CREDITS etc

CREDITS:

INSPIRATION: King Kong, Eothese and Aradan in particular. TWC hugely, but my friends at Divide and Conquer, the Fourth Age team and those who came before me - Thera, Westeros, Midnight, my friend Briarius and of course, that funny little Zelda fanatic....also AUntie Makanyane.

ITEMS BORROWED, NEW AND BLUE

Lord Calidor's Weapons
    Rusichi Team
    AKthross/Eothese
    Warhammer: The SUndering
    Disgruntled Goat
    Third Age Team

THE DIRECT TEAM OF DRAGONBORN for this battle

UNITS: SQUEAKS, TURAMBAR & DEATH
    WRITING: Torvus, Squeaks, Legio
    GFX: Cedric37, Y2DAY, Squeaks
    CODING: LEGIONARYCOHORT, THE HOLY PILGRIM
    EXTERNAL TESTERS: Makanyane, KAISER LEONIDAS (CHeese Lord!), A_Dane
    MUSIC: TWC MADMAN
    VIDEO: MasterBigAbs (who else?)

I'll probably have to editthis 1000 times...mutter mutter...knackered...bed time...
    Last edited by Squeaks; October 11, 2011 at 03:28 AM.

y2day's Avatar TWC STORE NOW OPEN!
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: DRAGONBORN FIRST RELEASE - THE PLAYABLE HISTORICAL BATTLE OF HAAGEN PIKE. Wolfborn vs Eastern Empire

Awesome work everyone! Thank Squeaks for this wonderful peek into the world of Dragonborn! Much luv!

y

TWC Graphics Workshop Art Competition!!!
    MEMBER OF THE IMPERIAL HOUSE OF HADER

Default Re: DRAGONBORN FIRST RELEASE - THE PLAYABLE HISTORICAL BATTLE OF HAAGEN PIKE. Wolfborn vs Eastern Empire

Great to see this released and it was a lot of fun to play this, but can I ask why my name is all in capitals in the credits?

Indeed it was Leonidas, was glad that i was able to help out a little

I'm ASSUMING it's because the ones in capital letters are the ones that did the most...

I have to note something though:
    The victory conditios are the wrong way around. The Wolfborn HAVE to destroy all Empire troops, while the Empire only has to kill the Wolfborn general.
    This gives the player a reason for coming down the hill, when playing as Empire, because it's easier to kill the Wolfborn general, when the reinforcements haven't arrived yet.
    It could be that I'm wrong on this, though, because I don't know wether The Holy Pilgrim or anyone alse altered the victory conditions...

LegionaryCohort

Quote Originally Posted by y2day View Post
    Awesome work everyone! Thank Squeaks for this wonderful peek into the world of Dragonborn! Much luv!

y
    Ta Mr Y! I hope it lives up to everyone's hopes...

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiser Leonidas View Post
    Great to see this released and it was a lot of fun to play this, but can I ask why my name is all in capitals in the credits?
    Uhm, because I wanted you to notice it before I delete it and put Cheese Lord back rightly where it should be The difference between this release and what you saw is almost infinite...grab it...you'll see so many changes it's unreal.

ACtually, it's because I am slightly retarded and type in capitals by mistake. A lot. Just ask anyone. I scare myself sometimes...

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    Indeed it was Leonidas, was glad that i was able to help out a little
    Yoiu both helped out LOADS...it promopted me to make sure we went to the lengths we did, and it showed what we SHOULD have made rather than left us to what we HAD made!!

Quote Originally Posted by LegionaryCohort View Post
    I'm ASSUMING it's because the ones in capital letters are the ones that did the most...
    Well, in a way it is sort of, yes. There are people without whom this woiuld NEVER have happened, and one of them is you my friend, so you deserve capital letters more than anyone else.

I have to note something though:
    The victory conditios are the wrong way around. The Wolfborn HAVE to destroy all Empire troops, while the Empire only has to kill the Wolfborn general.
    This gives the player a reason for coming down the hill, when playing as Empire, because it's easier to kill the Wolfborn general, when the reinforcements haven't arrived yet.
    It could be that I'm wrong on this, though, because I don't know wether The Holy Pilgrim or anyone alse altered the victory conditions...

LegionaryCohort
    Heh, we've had this conversation once, but I'll pm you asap about the reasons why...lots of them!! And, yes, I altered them because of advice from my AUntie, but we DID talk about it WIll pm asap, we can talk there!

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

Glad to see this finally released, Squeaks

*Gulp* just played. Amazingly good.

I just did a little test using a custom battle, and Wyndlin Firs absolutely slaughter the void knights, I thought they were supposed to be the best of the best?

Well that's better than what they did before When i tested them at first, a cavalry unit tore them to shreds (in more than 1 test), and the void knights killed them off pretty easily as well.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

Yay everybody! well-done!

Borissomeone's Avatar Citizen

Nice work team!

Under the Patronage of TheFirstONeill.

Quote Originally Posted by The Holy Pilgrim View Post
    Glad to see this finally released, Squeaks
    Finally? We've only been here 5 minutes Yeh, it was seemingly a ridiculous proposition that we'd get this done this time yesterday!! Thankfully we entered Lemming mode and got the impossible done.

Quote Originally Posted by ForRohan View Post
    *Gulp* just played. Amazingly good.
    REALLY? Sweet! Thanks Mr ROhan sir!! Is it what you hoped for? ALso, which was better to play? EMpire or wolvies?

I just did a little test using a custom battle, and Wyndlin Firs absolutely slaughter the void knights, I thought they were supposed to be the best of the best?
    They are. Will look into it...rrrrrrrrr.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Dane View Post
    Well that's better than what they did before When i tested them at first, a cavalry unit tore them to shreds (in more than 1 test), and the void knights killed them off pretty easily as well.
    'Better than THEY did before'? Hopefully this whole release has been a pleasant surprise compared to what we first gave you

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    Yay everybody! well-done!
    Ta Bere...btw, you're getting a thread to yourself tomorrow for the Federation...tim,e to get mnoving on them...they're just so cool!!

Quote Originally Posted by Borissomeone View Post
    Nice work team!
    AHem....you ARE part of the team You should really have your own thread now too you know. Eventually, ALL factions will ahve threads I think, and the top contributors too....

havn't been able to play too much, and experienced a crash earlier, but will give it a go tomorrow morning

The Holy Pilgrim's Avatar In Memory of Blackomur
    Citizen

My bad. I didn't exactly "finish" the Firs. I was just making sure that the battle was nice and tough

heh, no problem...will get it sorted though...mediate them a little bit maaybe.

Explosive Teaser! Congrats to the DB team & Good Luck.

OMG
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Quote Originally Posted by Ishan View Post
    Explosive Teaser! Congrats to the DB team & Good Luck.

Thanks Ishan; coming from you, that's quite nice indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Bolkonskij View Post
    OMG

Well done on DB's first release, the first step of a long journey!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast