Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the strongest faction in RTW

MortenJessen's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: the strongest faction in RTW

Quote Originally Posted by Bringer Of Storms View Post
    Right, sometimes the honorable way isn't always the most beneficial. Regardless, I love the Seleucids, very diverse roster.
    I can only agree on both.

There is no definate "best faction", each does well against certain others in certain situations. Players have some factions their good with, and others that they suck with. they all have their advantages and disadvantages, but I think many would agree some do quite better than others. My favourites are the Romans, they always expand pretty far, and in the end, if every faction were and ai, they would be the winners im sure. But the faction that often times seems to have the most power is Egypt, in many stats like military and population. Greece and Macedon are both very alike, but this one really goes to Greece. In the campaign, they are usually destroyed pretty quick. But only when theyre an ai, since it can go to war with macedon and brutii(although it can eventually cease fire and ally with macedon against brutii in some cases).The ai just doesn't really want to expand much with them. But if you can play them well you'll have very reliable phalynxes, not bad cav, and the legendary spartan hoplite at your back.

The strongest faction is who is controlled by the human player

Quote Originally Posted by herne_the _hunter View Post
    The strongest faction is who is controlled by the human player
    Agree with this. I have done full campaigns, means reached my 50 cities, with different factions. Each faction needed there special ideas to survive such a long time.

The one I make always the most money with are the "Roman Brutti".

The one I needed a really out of the box idea to survive only the few first rounds, have been the "Greeks".

The "Selude Empire" is the one it took me the longest to understand as far as to win a full campaign.

I would recommend to play them all in different moments. This is no problem as we can save each game separately. As each faction has his own tactical possibilities through there specific armies as well as there own specific situation through the geological placement, we can learn a lot from the different factions.

Even if this is understood, where do we get the money from to finance our defense, even wars, against the other factions. And here lies the secret from the game if full campaigns are played. No money and your faction will be destroyed in a few rounds.

Playing just a Battle has nothing to do with this, as there is no need to even organize this money in the game. If only playing some Battles, what ever faction is token with there best solders, the chance to win is equal. So this is no point of discussion when, as mentioned, we play full campaigns.

All the really norden factions like the "Germans" or the "English" or the "French" and all the others, even "Spain" have never been factions I even made it any where when full campaigns have been played, as the money flow ended at a certain point and that it was.

Defense

While I agree that any faction that the player plays with is the best, my favorite to play as is the Greeks. Simply the more challenging beginning combined that your more reliant on mercs for your military expeditions provides a great source of fun role play.

Plus those Spartan hoplites

Try facing a full stack of Persian Cavalry.

Genius of the Restoration's Avatar You beaut and magical

With Egypt, a pleasure!

The Brutii (green romans) - they start off with the standard roman infantry, which is still miles better than most of the other factions
    They expand into economically rich areas of land: Greece, Asia-minor and the top of the middle east.
    They get many of the best Wonders of the World: The Statue of Zeus at Olympia (30% public order in EVERY city you own), the Mausoleum of Halicarnasus (reduced construction time) ect, ect.
    When the Marius Reforms occurs, they are swamped with money and can afford to update all their old armies.

In regard to units, they are just as good as any other roman faction (the romans have the best units in the game) and they outclass many factions in a one-for-one fight with legionary cohorts being able to be trained everywhere.
    Their starting position is also good, you can very easily take Carthage in the first few turns and then turn your attention towards Greece (which are quite hard, but their settlements are good) they are also sandwiched between the other roman families, who won't betray you, so you don't have to worry about maintaining a land border

-
    G. Ward

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Vindictus View Post
    Seleucid Hands down. You can shoot all the arrows at me, but after you're done, let's dish it out with your exhausted cav haha . No Armenia is amazing and what not, but I prefer the flexible Seleucids. Cataphract with armor piercing is the way to go!
    Quote Originally Posted by ccgr1121 View Post
    Brutii.

Take Greece, spam Principes/Urbans, and off you go!
    Quote Originally Posted by Magic_8_Ball View Post
    On the campaign map, it's Egpytians.
    On the battle map, it's still Egyptians.
    That might be accurate before Marius reforms, but after Marius reforms there is not one strongest faction instead it's four factions and all of them are Romans.

Senate
    Brutii
    Julii
    Scipii

Which occur before the Roman civil war started.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    That might be accurate before Marius reforms, but after Marius reforms there is not one strongest faction instead it's four factions and all of them are Romans.

Senate
    Brutii
    Julii
    Scipii

Which occur before the Roman civil war started.
    Agreed.

Although, even then - the Brutii are still the best as they're simply the wealthiest.
    The Julii have towns and just struggle to afford as much as the Brutii.
    But yeah, in terms of units - all the romans are equally OP

-
    G. Ward

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

Quote Originally Posted by Vengeance208 View Post
    Although, even then - the Brutii are still the best as they're simply the wealthiest.
    The Julii have towns and just struggle to afford as much as the Brutii.
    But yeah, in terms of units - all the romans are equally OP
    The Brutii seems to be the strongest and do you know why, because the Brutii can recruit their gladiator unit e.g Velites Gladiators first of all Romans factions via the Arena building while the other Roman families can like this.

Julii Samnites Gladiator - Amphitheatre
    Scipii Mirmillo Gladiator - Coliseum
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    The Brutii seems to be the strongest and do you know why, because the Brutii can recruit their gladiator unit e.g Velites Gladiators first of all Romans factions via the Arena building while the other Roman families can like this.

Julii Samnites Gladiator - Amphitheatre
    Scipii Mirmillo Gladiator - Coliseum
    Didn't now about that one, yet another point in the Brutii corner.

-
    G. Ward

I have to say Carthage for best and favorite in campaign, but either any Roman faction or the Seleucids for MP and custom battles. All you have to do is take Sicily and turtle down with a large navy, build a giant army in Carthage, and storm Rome. Because of the size of Carthage you can get Sacred Bands quickly, and slaughter Pre-Marian Romans. Urban Cohort and Praetorian Cav. are OP, but the Seleucids take the edge in being well rounded, along with AP cataphracts for multiplayer.

The Rebels. You start off with 30 provinces, lots of troops and everyone is so busy fighting you that they don't try and conquer each other - which means you get to defeat a lot of weak factions through the whole map. It's a faction where you need to do a lot of micro-management on the campaign map and fight all the battles yourself since if you lose one on automanagement - then bang goes your army. Hard work but enjoyable - it usually lasts about 30 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12