Thread: Slideshow in large battles

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

Default Slideshow in large battles

Im having a problem with the game while using darthmod.
    Dont know if its darthmod only but i never experienced it outside darthmod.
    When ever there are more then 12.000 (ish) soldiers in a battle it becomes a slideshow (its a pretty much a 50/50 chance if its a slide show or not).
    its like extreme slow motion.
    At running speed it takes about 10sec between each step of a soldier so its pretty much unplayable.
    Fps is not the problem it stays on 40-60avg with 25-30 during large melles.
    My specs are as follows.
    AMD Radeon HD 6950 2gb.
    AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3,2ghz
    8gb ddr3 ram.
    Reducing the unit sizes fixes the problem but thats not the point i would just like to know if somone have encounterd this before and if somone have is there a fix for it other then smaller unit sizes.
    I have done alot of tests in darthmod and in vanilla and never found the problem in vanilla even when using up to 16000 soldiers.
    When testing 13 times with a army of over 12.000 soldiers i had the slideshow in 6 of the 13 battles i tried 10 battles with 10.000 soldiers no problem i also tested 6 times with 11.670 soldiers without any problems so im pretty sure the problem is at the 12.000 mark.

Default Re: Slideshow in large battles

This is a commonly reported problem. I had it with x2 unit size as well. I think the issue is within the CPU limitations and parallel programming, which is apparently insanely difficult to do. I imagine it's like trying to make new code altogether after using the same process and language for years. I'm willing to be the next TW title will have much more multicore support though.

This would be my best guess as to why the problem is happening and also why it's so difficult to solve. They would have to rewrite a bunch of code and such, and TW games are a big mess of code as it is I imagine. It'd be like opening up a can of barely contained worms.
    What do we say to the God of Death? Not today.

Although it may have nothing to do with what I just said. It's interesting you note it only seems to happen in vanilla? I'm sure others will verify it happens in vanilla too, though.
    What do we say to the God of Death? Not today.

mattebubben's Avatar Senator

It only happends with darthmod i never experienced it with vanilla (did 14 test battles without 1 slowdown) but with darthmod im having it in 50% of the battles with over 12.000 soldiers.
    And i would also guess that its the game engine that causes the problems.
    I really hope they are working on a new engine so we can have large battles without the engine freaking out.
    Last edited by mattebubben; October 09, 2011 at 12:00 PM.