Thread: Vassals??

Default Vassals??

Just what happens when a faction becomes a vassal to another faction?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Vassals??

The vassal is technically an ally of the other faction except the vassal also gives them military access and half (I think its half) their income each turn.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Playing as England, I made Scotland my vassal.
    My income for the next turn was over 130,000. Previously it was only about 2500-3000.

Is this normal?

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

It can be depending on how much money the other faction is getting.

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

The suzerain gets money only if the vassal has more than a certain amount of money.

Quote Originally Posted by k/t View Post
    The suzerain gets money only if the vassal has more than a certain amount of money.
    Wow, and I thought something is not right in my last campaign...

I was playing as Novgorod, and since I got almost beaten down, I accepted to become Poland`s vassal. Next thing you know, I had my left flank (on the strategy map) secured, and money started POURING in.
    So, basically becoming a vassal made my campaign so much easier, that it made me bored, and quit that campaign.

So, does anyone knows is there a way to change what vassalization does? Loosing money ONLY after you have a certain amount just seems too light of a drawback+it`s unrealistic+can be quite "gamey".

So, any way to change this?

There does seem a bug sometimes when becoming a vassals. I accepted vassals once as Hungary for role play and instead of paying money I received money. Also happened once with Genoa... usually it goes correct after sudden influx of money does stop after a few tuns.

technically, you are supposed to be an alliance, so helping each other sounds reasonable imo
    obviously one faction is suposed to be the "protector" but taking money, when they cant afford it and killing a faction seems to be stupid (in real life) because 1 they will likely just rebel, 2 vassals were often used as buffers against enimies so were more useful alive than dead.

The Orcs of Gundabad Erin go Bragh FROGS

When I came back to Dublin I was court marshaled in my absence and sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my absence"
    Brendan Behan
    The Irish won an Empire
    The Scots ran an Empire
    The English lost an Empire

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said, 'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of the Protestants in whom you don't believe?"
    - Quentin Crisp

There is one weapon that the British cannot take away from us: we can ignore them.
    - Michael Collins

They have nothing in their whole imperial arsenal that can break the spirit of one Irishman who doesn't want to be broken.
    - Bobby Sands

Quote Originally Posted by David93 View Post
    technically, you are supposed to be an alliance, so helping each other sounds reasonable imo
    obviously one faction is suposed to be the "protector" but taking money, when they cant afford it and killing a faction seems to be stupid (in real life) because 1 they will likely just rebel, 2 vassals were often used as buffers against enimies so were more useful alive than dead.
    Vassal states, almost always and regardless of culture, religion etc. paid money to their overlords, or served them through other means...

The way it is setup here, a vassal is just an ally, which makes no sense.

Imo the problem is that CA, when they were creating this game, took so much care about completely avoiding the possibility that a human player loses the campaign, that they implemented things like this "vassalization" that means nothing. Cause, god forbids that a complete newbie gets beaten by the AI, forced to become a vassal, and stopped on his road to world domination.

He might not buy our next semi-finished product then...
    Last edited by popovic; October 11, 2011 at 08:42 AM.