Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting character from ME1 to 2? Is it necessarily needed?

Default Converting character from ME1 to 2? Is it necessarily needed?

What are the downfalls of just making a new character on ME 2? Do you really miss a lot?

Tribunus

Default Re: Converting character from ME1 to 2? Is it necessarily needed?

No, but it can add a lot to your game to go for a character you've created before. For instance if you don't have the ME2:Genesis DLC it randomises your actions from the first game, which can be annoying.

ME2:Genesis DLC? What is that and how much does it cost? Will it come with the ME2 steam version because I'm planning on buying it once I've completed ME1?

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

I found it more enriching to import my characters rather than start from scratch in the second one. As stated, all your decisions carry over into the second game. It makes it feel like you are still playing the same playthrough. The Genisis DLC is basically a 15 min or so 'interactive comic book'. No, none of the DLC comes with the steam version, you need to go to EA after you have the game installed and purchase it seperatly. I think it was around $40 bucks for all of the DLC. I kinda forget now but each one was about 7 bucks apiece. Katsumi and Zaeed are DLC, Liara and the shadowbroker is a must have and Arival is another one that is good to get as well. The rest, like overloard, firewalker and some of the bonus weapons and armors DLC isn't really necessary.

Actually I think someone posted in one of these threads somewhere (was it you MagicMan?) all of the things that affect 2 from 1. The biggies are LV60 gets your starting LV at 4or5 (not sure now) instead of LV1, find all the resources in 1 gets you 60,000 of each at the start of 2 and your Paragon/Renegade score from one will give you a head start in two. That and all the side missions (did you kill them, save them etc) will show up in someway in the second one. Sometimes it may just be a mundane private message, other times the person may be on one of the planets and you have a brief exchange with them. Is it a big deal, not really but it does make it feel like a smother transition.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Tribunus

It was me, the list is freaking huge for just the stuff that affects gameplay alone.

Genesis is a DLC that, if you're not importing an ME1 save, allows you to make all the major decisions of ME1 so that the game feels more like it is your own. That said they allow you to make maybe seven or eight decisions, when in total I think more than three hundred will carry over between ME1-ME2 alone.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

Genesis is a sham and not worth the money its much more fulfilling to just buy ME1 for a few dollars and get the many hours of enjoyment that come with ME1.

The Mass effect trilogy is a story arc I like to treat them as one massive game more then anything even though the graphics are updated for the 2nd game.
    Last edited by Krieglord; October 07, 2011 at 01:15 PM.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

aye, genesis is crap. I like the art style, but that is all to be said about it.

You'd miss A LOT, in the atmosphere, not only in quests. It's really nice to plunge from the clean and bright Citadel in ME into dark and dirty Terminus systems in ME2.

Quote Originally Posted by Beregond View Post
    aye, genesis is crap. I like the art style, but that is all to be said about it.

You'd miss A LOT, in the atmosphere, not only in quests. It's really nice to plunge from the clean and bright Citadel in ME into dark and dirty Terminus systems in ME2.
    I dont actually own any of them but from what ive seen all the Darkhorse comics have decent art, but all of their story is full of plot holes that dont match up with the game

Darth Red's Avatar It's treason, then

I agree that Genisis was kinda pointless (if you import a save from ME1) but it was accurate. It did adjust it's story between my Renegade/Paragon and the different choices I made. I can see why it may be helpful if your not going to play through 1 but it's just redundant if you have. After watching it for the first time with each Shepperd, I find myself spacebaring through it now just to get it over with... to the point I am considering un-installing it.
    Officially Bottled Awesome™ by Justinian

Once again I say this

you can buy Mass effect at any walmart bargain bin for less then $10 for xbox 360, Mass Effect on steam costs 20

But still 20 for such a great game is worth it.

Sure the 1st one isnt as graphically appealing but it is still sooo worth playing.

Tribunus

The first one can be made shinier with a few creative changes to the coalesced file.

The Dude's Avatar Praeses
    I hate it when forums display your location. Now I have to be original.

Quote Originally Posted by JDW View Post
    What are the downfalls of just making a new character on ME 2? Do you really miss a lot?
    You do. Not only are there several recurring characters from sidequests in ME1 that you'll miss out on, you also just get the generic story that IMO sucks balls. If you don't import, it's not "your shepard". Additionally, there's a load of resource and xp bonuses attached to importing characters from ME1. The higher level your ME1 char was, the greater your import bonuses.
    Last edited by The Dude; October 07, 2011 at 04:19 PM.

Also if you dont play me1 how the hell will you know who
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Garrus or Tali are or why wrex is important?

Thanks for all the replies! By the way I'm on my second play through of ME1, the first one I did not end up completing and this one I'm doing I intend on finishing to convert onto ME2. I think I might buy that DLC because I know how re playable the ME games are and I don't think I'll be doing another play through of ME1 and I would like to do the second play through as a male paragon if I enjoyed it that much to do a second play through but from what I hear its far better than the first.

Just a little question, does the romance you choose effect your imported character's story on ME2 in any way? I made a mistake choosing to have a romance with the blue alien, I can't think of her name right now.. but I would have personally choose Kaiden just because I think it seems to fit the story a lot better.

Just a little question, does the romance you choose effect your imported character's story on ME2 in any way? I made a mistake choosing to have a romance with the blue alien, I can't think of her name right now.. but I would have personally choose Kaiden just because I think it seems to fit the story a lot better.
    The romance from me1 is final for your save, it doesn't so much effect me2 but it will directly affect ME3.

Once again think of ME1, 2 and 3 as one massive game in 3 parts (like Lord of the rings) not 3 separate ones.
    Last edited by Krieglord; October 08, 2011 at 12:54 AM.

How do you know it will directly affect ME3? Without giving any ME2 spoilers please

How do you know it will directly affect ME3? Without giving any ME2 spoilers please
    The Bioware devs already anouced it for the coming Mass effect 3.

Tribunus

The entire series was announced to have that feature before ME was even released, it was one of the major selling points.

Oh... I see, so say you create a character from scratch on ME2, I hear it will get a randomly genarated past? So past romances, choices etc are all random?

I know you Magicman told me about that DLC, so its set up by BioWare and how much is it? Link please, sorry for asking again.

Beregond's Avatar TWC boomer

you can use save game editor. It's simple and efficient, although not nearly as exciting as playing the first game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast