Thread: Having trouble starting a campaign

kevindrosario's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Having trouble starting a campaign

Just goes back to the main menu when I try to start one. I followed the installation instructions exactly. Double checked to make sure UAC was disabled first, installed the main EXE as admin, pointed to SS6.3 folder, installed the hotfix as admin, pointed to SS6.3 folder, and ran the SS setup.

Caesar Clivus's Avatar SS Forum Moderator

Default Re: Having trouble starting a campaign

Ok thats odd. What campaign? Do you have any other submods installed?

BftB2 UPDATED 22nd DECEMBER. Member of the Complete Byzantine Unit Roster team

Early campaign and no other submods. Just the base SS 6.4 install.

For some reason it's using the vanilla SS6.4 descr_strat as all the units listed are the ones I removed. Can you try running the BftB2 installers (both the main and hotfix) over the top of your current installation. It has been known to skip files in the past. Also try disabling any resident anti-virus programs you have running in the background.

Just tried that. No change. Do you think you could possibly upload the descr_strat? Maybe just sticking it in will fix things.

First, try running the BftB2 installer and the hotfix installer but point them to a non-M2TW folder. Then manually copy the files it creates into your SS folder.

I tried installing it to a folder I created on my desktop and copying and pasting it in. I'm still having the same problem. I deleted my error log and here's the new one I just got. It looks similar (maybe the same) as the one I got before.

That is odd. Can you open the descr_strat.txt in SS6.3\data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign and do a search for sweden. Just checking what version it's trying to load. Very weird that it seems to be loading the vanilla one even with UAC disabled.

I didn't see a Sweden in there, so I thought that was weird. I just reinstalled it onto my desktop and there's no campaign/imperial_campaign. The directory goes data/world/maps. In maps there's only base. No campaign.

What the...After you install BftB2 and the hotfix and then run SS_Setup, it is supposed to copy the files into the imperial_campaign folder.

Is there a SS6.3\data\campaign\baltic folder?

Now it seems to be working. I'm not sure what happened, but I went through the installation a 3rd time and it started working. I don't think I did anything differently. Maybe it's just third time's a charm

Edit: Thanks for the help! Sorry to waste your time over nothing.

No need to apologise mate. Just glad you got it working. Install programs created with that install creator program have been known to skip files from time to time. It was a problem when SS used it as its main installer.