Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puerto Rico's Governor submits political status proposal

Vanoi's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Civitate

Default Puerto Rico's Governor submits political status proposal

http://news.yahoo.com/puerto-rico-go...215835099.html

SAN JUAN, Puerto Rico (AP) — The governor of Puerto Rico submitted legislation Wednesday that calls for creating a two-part referendum to decide whether the U.S. territory should seek to change its political status.
    It was unclear when legislators would start debating the 24-page proposal, which was introduced by 38 members of the territorial House of Representatives.
    Gov. Luis Fortuno's pro-statehood New Progressive Party has an overwhelming majority in both the territory's House and Senate. The opposition Popular Democratic Party, which supports the current commonwealth status, said it would oppose holding a referendum.
    Puerto Rico has long debated its political status, with no majority for any particular status emerging in referendums held in 1967, 1993 and 1998. Any change would require approval by the U.S. Congress and president.
    The proposal that Fortuno announced Tuesday calls for a referendum to be held Aug. 12, 2012, asking voters if they want a change in status or prefer to remain a U.S. commonwealth.
    If a majority approved seeking a change, a second referendum would be held during the November 2012 general elections. Voters would then choose from three options: statehood, independence or sovereign free association.
    The proposal states that the island's Electoral Commission would use a lottery system to decide the order of the questions for both referendums.
    Fortuno said he would set aside $3.5 million for the referendum process, with $750,000 slated for education campaigns.
    A poll of 1,000 adults conducted by the Ipsos firm and local TV station WAPA said 39 percent of Puerto Ricans would vote to keep the current commonwealth status, followed by 34 percent supporting statehood. A margin of error was not provided when WAPA aired the results Wednesday, but a survey of that size often has an error margin of plus or minus three percentage points.
    I know this isn't really major political news, but this is important for the island. The last vote they had on their poltical status was in 1998. I know voting patterns may have not changed too much, but i am very curious to know how they would vote. Personally i hope they either vote for independence or statehood.

The political status in Puerto Rico has long been debated. Maybe this time they will actually vote in the majority of something. Of course this would still have to go through Congress and the President for approval.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Default Re: Puerto Rico's Governor submits political status proposal

If it were to become a state it would be major news for the democrats.
    "When I die, I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like Fidel Castro, not screaming in terror, like his victims."

My shameful truth.

JP226's Avatar Dux Limitis

I don't want the god forsaken third world country becoming a state. Look how trashy they made their tropical island. Keep it as is.
    Sure I've been called a xenophobe, but the truth is Im not. I honestly feel that America is the best country and all other countries aren't as good. That used to be called patriotism.

So the nice, whole number of 50 would be changed to 51? I can imagine the frustration with having to change all those flags in order to add the additional star...
    [ Under Patronage of Jom ]
    [ "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also." Matthew 6:21 ]

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Mov View Post
    So the nice, whole number of 50 would be changed to 51? I can imagine the frustration with having to change all those flags in order to add the additional star...
    Add Washington DC whilst you are at it get 52 then think of the memorabilia you can have with American states playing cards Puerto Rico,Rhode Island, Washington DC and Alabama can be the two's then the kings are New York California, Texas and Illinois
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

irontaino's Avatar Protector Domesticus
    Citizen

I think the same thing will happen that has already happened every time a referendum has come along, it'll be a near tie between status quo and statehood.
    Fact:Apples taste good, and you can throw them at people if you're being attacked
    Under the patronage of big daddy Elfdude

A.B.A.P.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

The Dakotas can just get over their feud already. How many years has it been now guys? Move back in with each other so we won't have to change all those flags.
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by JP226 View Post
    I don't want the god forsaken third world country becoming a state. Look how trashy they made their tropical island. Keep it as is.
    Agreed. Besides, we should give Canada first dibs on that 51st state spot...

Imperial's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by brandbll View Post
    Agreed. Besides, we should give Canada first dibs on that 51st state spot...
    Our neighbors to the north must be freed! Liberation!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Blackadder View Post
    Add Washington DC whilst you are at it get 52 then think of the memorabilia you can have with American states playing cards Puerto Rico,Rhode Island, Washington DC and Alabama can be the two's then the kings are New York California, Texas and Illinois

The Joker cards can be Guam and the Marshall Islands.

Acco's Avatar Дијана

Quote Originally Posted by irontaino View Post
    I think the same thing will happen that has already happened every time a referendum has come along, it'll be a near tie between status quo and statehood.
    As you are Puerto Rican, what do you think?
    На Запад масивно сиви облаци
    Од Исток сонце и вистина излези
    Macedonia

Quote Originally Posted by JP226 View Post
    With that argument, we should kick out the Deep South for having third world country conditions. The Republicans wouldn't like the idea of a predominantly Spanish-speaking island becoming the 51st state anyways given the xenophobia of their voting base.

It's a shame. A lot of Hispanics would vote Republican if they weren't being alienated by them.
    The redux of 2011's Turtledove Award winner for Best New Renaissance & Reformation:
    Anahuatlacanco
    Chapter XI: Teuhtlile and Cortes meet at last!

Another pathetic attempt to gain statehood by the PNP party of Luis "Milhouse" Fortuno. Every single time we have had a referendum its been a tie or close to a tie for statehood and the so called commonwealth. Although I think that even if Puertoricans vote 100% for statehood, it's still up to congress to decide what to do, and as a collective they have shown nothing but contempt for the matters of the most populous non-incorporated US territory (4 million citizens, not counting those living on the mainland US in NY, Chicago and Orlando)

Some interests would not enjoy a principally catholic, latino, poor, and welfare dependent state into the union.

Dr Zoidberg's Avatar A Medical Corporation

Why statehood? Why not go for the full independence?
    Young lady, I am an expert on humans. Now pick a mouth, open it and say "brglgrglgrrr"!

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    Well from the past plebiscites they have had, i don't think the percentage of people who wanted independence ever went above 5%.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

While you are at it, allow Germany to rearm, it's not like they committed the worst atrocity in modern history, so having a strong army can't lead to anything pitiful.

Col. Tartleton's Avatar Comes Limitis

Let them in says I. Shake and bake. It will sort itself out. Im sick of those water mexican bastards not paying taxes but getting funds.

I say water Mexican bastards lovingly.
    The Earth is inhabited by billions of idiots.
    The search for intelligent life continues...

DC needs to get a couple legislators, but not statehood. There is a specific reason why DC was never made a state, and instead a strange "Federal District": If it were a state, the Capitol would be under the control of the state's Governor, as opposed to the Federal government.

As for Puerto Rico: We should either give it independence or give it US statehood. This whole non-state territory craziness, for a territory of millions of people, is rather absurd. Unfortunately, 51 is not a very good number; how about this: We let Texas secede, and instead accept Puerto Rico! Unfortunately, Alabama and Mississippi would want to go with Texas; since I think the US should not only allow, but encourage those states to secede, we'd have to find two new states. Maybe break California into two...or three...or maybe just accept 48.

Just let them have statehood...

Civitate

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Now! View Post
    Just let them have statehood...
    They don't want it. Many people in Puerto Rico do want statehood, but its not a majority.
    Best/Worst quotes of TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Zoidberg View Post
    That's easy. The governor belongs to the pro-statehood party. Of course he does not want independence. He, like many Puertoricans, wants to receive the (perceived) benefits of being part of the union. Puertoricans fear independence for multiple reasons, one being that we will end up a banana republic (although we really have the banana part, not the republic), that we will fall to comunsim like cuba (which is illogical), or that hey they might actually have to work for the first time in their lives (over the past 2 decades puerto rico has went from the model of how to industrialize small island countries, to a society that depends on federal handouts). Ironically the very republican fortuno, continued the policy of just handing out welfare, even more than his predecessors. Also the lack of jobs has led to the country being consisted pretty much of these welfare recipients, as anyone with an education or a career decided to flee the sinking ship as soon as they had the opportunity(i'm one of those, i'm a grad student in the US).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast