Term: 487AUC - 488AUC.
    Lucius Valerius Poplicola (Dragoon47)

Praetor
    Caius Geminius Dives (Kubrick)

Tribune
    Faustus Naevius Imperious (CK23)
    Challenger: Aulus Licinius Caldius (Warlord)

Quaestor
    Vibius Aemelius Strabo (Tazgrent)

I declare this session of our sacred Senate... OPEN!
    Last edited by Tazgrent; October 04, 2011 at 09:26 PM.

CK23's Avatar Campidoctor

Default Re: Consulate of Merula and Poplicola - 487AUC

Faustus was among the first to enter the Curia and he was proud as ever, despite not being allowed to run for a third term. His popularity with the mob had allowed him to bend the law to his will. The Plebeian Council was behind Faustus however they did not give him the official approval as Tribune of the Plebeians, though in all manner and respects, he was Tribune. Faustus eyed the other Senators with a bit of suspicion, they all looked at him similar however many of them walked an congratulated him. Faustus thought they were either fearful of him or that they were friendly because they knew he was widely popular and could bring them acclaim. "Senators, how are we this fine day?" Faustus shook hands and greeted various Plebeian Senators who had voted for him. "Thank you Valerius, thank you." Faustus nodded at a long time friend from the Council. "Thank you Marcus! You owe Gaius for that wine vase you spilled!" Faustus shook his head and took a seat.
    Rabble rousing, Pleb Commander CK23

The senate comes alive with murmuring as a group of senators enter the hall, Aulus and his supporters.

Ah, Faustus Imperious! How does it feel to have sunk to the level of Scaeva, illegally claiming an office? You know well that it's illegal to hold the same office three years running; in fact I believe that's one of the crimes of that man.

But that's a different matter; I wish to publicly extend an offer of reconciliation. For how long have we feuded over petty matters, when we both have the interests of the people at heart? I hope you will join me in proposing the first bill of the New Year, to rebuild the home of Vibius Aemelius Strabo at state expense!

Tazgrent's Avatar Ducenarius

Strabo bolts to his feet.

Ha! The fox would seek to rebuild the hen house. I have no time for such nonsense. We shall wrangle this issue in the courts, but it has no place on the Senate floor.

Whatever do you mean Strabo?

Do you mean to imply that I had something to do with the loss of your house? What ill-will do you suspect I have for you?

I do not presume to fathom the inner workings of one such as you, an interloper and phil-hellene. It is well known that I am a vocal advocate of true Roman virtue, something I know a son of Athens like yourself balks at.

It is telling that your only response is to slander my good name, your accusations are false.

Ha! Slander? Is it not true that you stated you intention to leave the sacred walls and flee to Athens? I believe it is on record even now. Whether or not you actually went is of no consequence. Impiety is mostly intention. But, I shall not stain these sacred walls with further words. Our battle shall be in the courts. Is there any other business?

Your report, the progress of the war and the charges to be laid against Scaeva. Though I would suggest waiting until all are present.

That was my intention as well. My report is prepared, but I do not intend to present it until we have a quorum.

During the argument Caius had taken his place, somewhere in the center. Didn't happen often that a new session started with an argument. He noticed Strabo had finished and taken a seat so he walked up front, surprising some senators who had not seen him enter. He observed the two empty consular chairs and stood by them. Opening his hands, like he was welcoming everyone. 'Senators, during this warm and lovely spring we enter yet another new term. But even though the weather is so pleasant and comforting, the situation we are in is not. Both consuls are absent, campaigning against Carthage, which is why I am welcoming you today.' He moved a bit foward.

'The situation.. We are still at war but we can at least be certain that this war will be over soon, we have captured many important strongholds and Carthaginian power is not what it was during the last war. Financially we seem to get back on order too, even though sustaining multiple armies is a huge drain on our income. The people seem to be happy overall. What we should really worry about, my dear senators, is crisis within the walls of the curia. Scaeva, the tribune matter and senators charging other senators. If we have unrest within our own building, how can we avoid unrest outside it? During my term as praetor I will assure you that everything will be dealt with according to Roman law. This year, senators, will be Rome's finest hour. In which our borders extended further than ever before, in which our economy flourished while waging war! Together we can do this, together we can make Rome even greater!' Caius looks around, a few of his followers had started clapping.

Caius gestured towards Strabo.
    'Now I wish to request quaestor Strabo to give his financial report on our dear Republic's economy. After that we can see to it that our internal tensions will be resolved.' He walked back to his seat and sat down. A big sigh followed. Let's hope those two consuls return soon, he had to do all their work.
    Last edited by Kubrick; October 05, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

Strabo moves to the center of the Curia.

Thank you, Praetor. It is time that I presented my annual report.

Strabo snaps his fingers and two teams of slaves enter, one carrying a large rolled up map, the other with wax tables. As the map is unrolled across the floor, Strabo takes hold of the tablets.

Firstly, the finances. According to this report, we had an income last year of about 5700 denarii. This is in addition to the 20245 already in the treasury. I noticed that several cities were stagnating and decided to make good use of this massive surplus.

The first I suggest is to change the taxes is some of the border cities to a higher rate, as the public seems willing to accept the higher taxes while remaining happy. I suggest the following building projects as well.
    In Bononia: a road network, to facilitate further operations in Northern Italy.
    An expansion of the magistracy in Arretium, to allow for urban expansion.
    In Arminium: expanding the trader to grow commerce.
    In my report it is noted that several cities have become unhealthy; Roma, Capua, and Taras, as well as Arpi. In those cities I recommend expanding the health facilities.
    I also suggest we repair the governor's mansion in Messana to ease the populace, as well as building rudimentary drainage ditches.
    The same ditches should be built in Alalia.
    Finally I suggest we raise a regiment of Rorarii in Capua and Arretium to boost public order and to maintain peace in the region.
    All told, this would cost 22,172 denarii, leaving 4,298 for the Consuls to use to raise armies and such. It is expensive, yes, but it is important that we use our large treasury for growth, not stagnation. I conclude my report.
    Last edited by Tazgrent; October 05, 2011 at 04:09 PM. Reason: clarity

Lex Pecuniae Aemelii.
    I. Taxes shall be raised to Normal in Rhegion and High in Bononia.
    II. Roads shall be built in Bononia.
    III. The palace in Arretium shall be upgraded
    IV. The trader in Arminium shall be upgraded.
    V. Baths/Sewers shall be built in Roma, Capua, Taras, and Arpi.
    VI. The Palace shall be repaired in Messana.
    VII. Ditches shall be dug in Alalia and Messana.
    VIII. Rorarii shall be trained in Capua and Arretium.

Faustus ignored Aulus, he knew the battle between Strabo and Aulus would encompass all his attention. "I second the motion Quaestor."

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Manius entered the Curia. Checking the scribe's notes, he finally says:

"I also second this motion."
    Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

"Senators! We have been betrayed by a man once loyal to the People and Senate of Rome!" Faustus broke the eerie silence in the Curia as many Senators examined the previous years bills and current proposal for the tax plans. "We must recall Spurius Geminius Scaeva to Rome and immediately place him on trial!" Faustus was passionate as ever. "He has betrayed Rome, he has lied to you and illegally he has begun raising an army to take over the city of Rome!" Faustus was playing off the popular passions of the Senators, he knew that by having Rome threatened would force them to re-act numerous Plebeian Senators were shouting in approval and motioning for Scaeva to return to Rome and face trial. "I ask this Sacred Senate to protect Rome."

Maiar93's Avatar Primicerius

Manius stands tiredly, speaking with a tired voice:

"I indeed approve... I have nothing against Scaeva, in fact I have only heard good of him until the very recent days... and I am very disappointed on him for failing Rome."

Predictor of AAR Plot Points and a wannabe forum ninja

Perhaps it would be better to try Scaeva for the allegations of corruption that already stand against him rather then these baseless claims of treason? There is no law that says that Senator Scaeva is not allowed leave Rome on his own business.

Caius looked up, out of boredom he had been drawing stuff on a piece of parchment. He raised an eyebrow during Imperious' speech. His father wasn't the only one paying Sertor and he knew most of the things Scaeva was doing. He had committed crimes, yes, but an illegal army? 'I see no reason to prosecute senator Scaeva for raising an illegal army. I yet have to see proof that he is doing that. And if you talk about the northern garrison, he has been paying it for several years now. Instead we should focus on real crimes, Scaeva's corruption for example. Or maybe the fact that tribune Imperious is serving for a third term in a row. Or maybe senator Scaevola for carrying arms within the Curia. For I remember seeing a distinctive blade during the Curia Massacre which definitely did not belong to one of the plebeians nor the Carthaginian.' He smiled crooked, obviously enjoying himself.
    YATS: Manius Aquillius Tuscus, 46, Patrician

"Tribune Imperious"? I am Tribune Senator, if any other man claims that position he is breaking the most sacred laws of our Republic and should be punished accordingly. There is far too much disregard for the law nowadays. Indeed, I would say that it seems that some see the law as a political tool for eliminating dissenters rather then a cornerstone of Rome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast