Thread: Naval battles crashing only with DMS enabled.

Default Naval battles crashing only with DMS enabled.

This may seem like a game issue off the bat, but I tested the same battle with vanilla settings and the crashing didn't happen. Hopefully Darth and the team can isolate what may be causing naval crash problems in DMS. It seems to happen when ships start boarding.
    What do we say to the God of Death? Not today.

Default Re: Naval battles crashing only with DMS enabled.

I actually noticed even selecting naval units this is happening, both with and without DMS on. (On campaign map) Might be the campaign itself is corrupted for some reason. If it's my system, I'm not sure what I've changed. I'll try turning my OC down a bit and see if my CPU is just being unstable. I suppose this might -not- be DMS fault, but the actual battle worked fine when I turned DMS off.

Does it actually crash (like to the desktop, or mouse doesn't move), or does the game simply freeze when you try to move naval units on the campaign map (you can still move the mouse, but you must Ctrl+Alt+Delete out of the game and shut it down)?

If it's the latter, I don't think it's a DMS problem as I've had it happen before I even heard of this mod . It's been tied with freezing at other times too, like when I try to open the Diplomacy or Clan Management screens, or sometimes when I attack an enemy army/settlement or the AI attacks me.

Good point, I forgot to mention that part. In the battle map, it actually doesn't CTD at all, the screen just freezes up and the task manager indicates the game is still running.

Now, on the campaign map, it's more of a typical freeze. I can't do anything until I force exit the game. I think this problem is vanilla, but I don't know. It could all be related somewhere - maybe something with memory?

This is actually a rather new bug or issue for me, but I've also been playing strictly with land armies in my last campaign. I wonder if one of the patches had something to do with it?

Keep in mind, it's not all battles or navies. It seems to happen in the combat map with either very large engagements with reinforcements or when selecting a navy surrounded by more than one enemy naval force on the campaign map.
    Last edited by alexjs; October 03, 2011 at 10:24 PM.

Now the actual naval battle map, the problem seems to be DMS related. I'm going to keep testing that theory. But it happened again on another battle as soon as the boarding action took place again. I'll try vanilla on it and see if it works. The notion of having to switch to vanilla for naval battles is frustrating though.

Quote Originally Posted by DARTH VADER View Post
    Yes, can you test in vanilla please?
    Yeah, I have tested a few times, and the naval boarding attempt always causes a crash with DMS, but not in vanilla.

For some reason I had the notion it had something to do with projectiles. Graphically speaking - if it is a graphical bug or quirk - the only thing different in those battles is the tracers. A wild guess, can't confirm it yet though. Not sure 'why' this would be the case, either. Not a programmer myself.

I don't think the core of DMS is to blame either. Reason I say this is because I've played with the core DMS pack file (without the launcher or extra settings) and the problem hasn't presented itself. (beta 5 mind you, I haven't tried the newest just yet.)

Righteous Fury's Avatar Civis

I must report that I am also having this problem. So far it only occurs when boarding. If I can come up with more useful info, I will post it promptly.
    NEVER SUBMIT
    NEVER SURRENDER

Check the open beta 7 and see that it is fixed please.

Righteous Fury's Avatar Civis

I was using beta 5. The beta 7 seems to have corrected the issue.

Thanks, Darth!!!
    NEVER SUBMIT
    NEVER SURRENDER

I'll try it tomorrow - thanks a lot Darth for your quick and speedy fix by the looks of it!