Thread: [Solved] Battle Events: STFU!!

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Default [Solved] Battle Events: STFU!!

I've read several posts in the forum from players who LIKE the endlessly repeating and 'ever-so-helpful' Battle Events voice; "Shameful Dispray!"

I don't need to hear from those players.
    I despise this voices presence in my game, and I want it GONE.

But unlike ETW/NTW, in which I found it a simple matter to find those corresponding sound files and replace them with blanks, I can't locate this er's voice files anywhere!
    I have not seen it in sounds.pack, data.pack... nowhere.

In sounds.pack there is a folder called 'sounds packed' with a sounds_events file inside with no extension identifying its type. But that is my ONLY guess.

Someone else help me with this please?

Default Re: Battle Events: STFU!!

Our general is in GRAVE danger! Our units are running from the battle! SHAMEFUL DISPLAY!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Why would you ever want to turn that off? Besides, half the time you (should) be watching the combat up close and personal, and the hacking, slashing, stabbing, blocking, and grunting of battle should drown out all SHAMEFUL DISPLAYS.

THANKS Davidicus.
    Seriously anyone. I'm not kidding.

I can't STAND having that repetitive 'engrish' in my lovely battles.
    If he can't exclaim his useless flavor warnings in Japanese, I'd rather he would just STFU.

To that end, I have FINALLY located the files and made a personal mod that SILENCES that fool for good.
    Last edited by Live2sculpt; October 16, 2011 at 01:11 AM.

how bout uploading it then dude?

Kurisu Paifuaa's Avatar Biarchus

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    THANKS Davidicus.
    Seriously anyone. I'm not kidding.

I can't STAND having that repetitive 'engrish' in my lovely battles.
    If he can't exclaim his useless flavor warnings in Japanese, I'd rather he would just STFU.

To that end, I have FINALLY located the files and made a personal mod that SILENCES that fool for good.
    I tried shutting that off with a table entry a while back because I couldn't locate them either, but it didn't work. Where are those?

Deciphering sound-events and sound_bank_database seems to be at a standstill at the moment. Taw's tools have some experimental code that pokes at Empire's version, but he never got any further from the looks of it (unless I missed something). If you peek inside with an editor, there's plenty of obvious event strings, but it isn't very helpful without a working converter.

By the way, you're on fire. The RotS map thing is still making my week

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    I tried shutting that off with a table entry a while back because I couldn't locate them either, but it didn't work. Where are those?

Deciphering sound-events and sound_bank_database seems to be at a standstill at the moment. Taw's tools have some experimental code that pokes at Empire's version, but he never got any further from the looks of it (unless I missed something). If you peek inside with an editor, there's plenty of obvious event strings, but it isn't very helpful without a working converter.

By the way, you're on fire. The RotS map thing is still making my week
    Thanks.

I don't even try to manage tables myself. When it comes to sounds, I usually just custom the sound files, and leave the names etc. just as they are. That was my problem; I couldn't locate these particular sound files for a while. I finally found them in the local_en.packs under advisor/french_campaign.

My way of solving the problem is to go right at the source and modify the EA files themselves. In this case local_en.pack and local_en_patch.pack.

Here are my set of dummy sound files ready to be put in place using PFM. AGAIN, my uploads are NOT mods, but rather DIY helpers for modifying core EA files. Uploading altered copies of local_en.pack and local_en_patch.pack would be against TWcenter Terms of Service and should not be tolerated.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=3554

Default Re: [Solved] Battle Events: STFU!!

Can't you just make them a mod, then it wouldn't be against tos....

Quote Originally Posted by Megalos View Post
    Can't you just make them a mod, then it wouldn't be against tos....
    Yea, I've made a few attempts at that and they didn't stick.
    And I get the funny feeling that I'm not the first to discover that problem.
    So for expediency, I'll leave it to a more savvy modder to come up behind me and make that part happen.
    Until that, these files and some know-how are what is being offered.
    Which is MORE than what was being shared before today. Which was nothing.

French campaigns? Yes of course, that's exactly what I would have called it

Thanks for solving that and for the blank tracks. Some of those audio cues are actually useful if you play without giant flags, but the lack of any subtle variation is maddening. Sound events that are less frequent though do have some good alternates. There's a lot in that folder I haven't heard before.

"Hidden units...blah blah blah" was also making me insane.

Quote Originally Posted by Live2sculpt View Post
    Yea, I've made a few attempts at that and they didn't stick.
    And I get the funny feeling that I'm not the first to discover that problem.
    So for expediency, I'll leave it to a more savvy modder to come up behind me and make that part happen.
    Until that, these files and some know-how are what is being offered.
    Which is MORE than what was being shared before today. Which was nothing.
    Have you looked at Twosocks' mod? http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=445112

I use just the fieldmusicians part on a regular basis. I't's a great, original collection that adds a lot of atmosphere. The "barking orders" tracks are particularly good. In the current arrangement, it comes out overly "horn-sh" with the patch9 changes. Haven't tried editing on my own yet as he's working on a new version.

I had been thinking that sound data might need to be overridden with the same level of pack type as the original (since sound mods seem to only function as patch type). These localized sound files for advisors are packed as release, however that doesn't work either. Curious You can override text in local_en with anything though.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; November 12, 2011 at 05:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurisu Paifuaa View Post
    I have the atmosphere version too, and have been considering the music.
    Regarding pack type conflicts; does Twosock's overrides Wind's Jap Fix? I can't quite tell...

It should work, Wind's isn't in the fieldmusicians directory (it's UK -> voice actors or such). I had the impression that CA updates fixed some of those, so I took it out. Have to listen more closely. I think "Bai no haiasu de" is still there without it (bad expression for 'double time').

Twosocks' music selections are great (Brig's too). They get jammed in my head for days, though because they're less subtle and get overexposed. And vanilla music still fits the game transitions better imho.

edit: Listening closely to unit sounds, there are still a number of issues present that Wind's mod fixed. However, Twosocks' sounds for fieldmusicians adds some vocal elements to what were originally just drums and conch. What you get is both playing at times, which is somewhat redundant and cluttered. A decent solution might be to simply silence all of the various unit orders responses in UK/voice actors and just leave Twosocks' sounds cover those. You'd still have the unit selection responses from the voice actors (Wind's mod only has one fix there -- "Yari Meijin", which means 'master spearman', plays for ashigaru). There should be a new version from Twosocks soonish. Wind hasn't been active in a while.

Finally got around to trying these. Works as intended. I can now play with my windows open and not drive the neighbors insane

I put them in local_en_patch.pack instead of replacing the originals. The override works fine from there.
    Last edited by Hesus de bodemloze; November 12, 2011 at 05:02 AM.