Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Unique Names (and avoiding labels)

UndyingNephalim's Avatar Primicerius
    Patrician Artifex

Default Re: Unique Names (and avoiding labels)

Quote Originally Posted by Withwnar View Post
    Is hylian a faction that already exists on the map when you are trying this? I can't recall trying it on a faction that does not yet exist. Again, that's not really its purpose (emerging a faction).
    Yes the Hylian faction is on the map and is the faction I was playing as. Does this also need to be the case for the Saxons?

Whose units? saxons? In your script they only have one 'unit': the named character you are spawning.

The OP mentions the possibility that the unit ("Princess Zelda I" in your script) might need to belong to both the FROM and TO factions. Unit ownership (EDU) I mean.
    I'm trying to give the Saxon named character (Princess Zelda I) to the Hylian faction. The unit has both hylian and saxons as it's ownership.

Other than these points I would double check that the saxons faction has been set up as described in the OP.
    Since the script seems to work with other emerging factions that don't exist on the map yet, my guess is I did something wrong setting up the saxons if everything else in the script looks right

Withwnar's Avatar Script To The Waist

Quote Originally Posted by UndyingNephalim View Post
    Since the script seems to work with other emerging factions that don't exist on the map yet, my guess is I did something wrong setting up the saxons if everything else in the script looks right
    That would be my guess: something wrong with the saxons. They should be in the "nonplayable" list and set to dead_until_resurrected (descr_strat). And only ever used in the campaign for this character generation stuff, never as a living faction.

Oh, and check the log for errors, if you haven't already done so.
    Last edited by Withwnar; June 19, 2012 at 08:40 AM.

Patrician Artifex

That would be my guess: something wrong with the saxons. They should be in the "nonplayable" list and set to dead_until_resurrected (descr_strat). And only ever used in the campaign for this character generation stuff, never as a living faction.

Oh, and check the log for errors, if you haven't already done so.
    I got it to the point where it spawns the character for the saxons, but the unit still vanishes if I use the give_everything command to give the character from the saxons to the hylians.

EDIT: I've noticed that the give_everything command only seems to work with settlements. I tried using it on a faction with many settlements and units but it only gave me their settlements and all their units vanished.
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; June 19, 2012 at 04:39 PM.

Yet this method worked for you with other factions.

I can't suggest anything further. Other than try doing an agent transfer instead of a named character. To see if it works.

If you want to attach your files - every one mentioned in the OP - then I can take a look.

Did you check the log?

Patrician Artifex

Yet this method worked for you with other factions.

I can't suggest anything further. Other than try doing an agent transfer instead of a named character. To see if it works.

If you want to attach your files - every one mentioned in the OP - then I can take a look.

Did you check the log?
    That was in regards to the named character actually spawning. No matter what faction I transfer from anything that is not a settlement vanishes. I tried generals, captains, and other agents but the same thing, they all completely vanish when I use the give_everything command. I found no hint at all in the log, though I'll attach it maybe you'll notice something I missed:

EDIT: I noticed that after transferring generals that the "Noble Death" event icons appeared for me. This leads me to believe that everything being transferred is actually dying rather then just disappearing.
    Last edited by UndyingNephalim; June 20, 2012 at 05:12 PM.

Quite a few errors in the log but nothing directly related to this it seems.

Dunno. I haven't used give_everything much myself, only for this and the occasional testing scenario. I have seen characters shifted to the other faction by simply using that command but never looked into which ones and why not others.

Patrician Artifex

Does the player's faction need to have a family tree for it to work? I enabled the family tree for the Hylians and suddenly agents are working, though named characters and generals still die during the give_everything command.

For this Unique Names thing to work, do you mean?

I don't know. I have used this in TATW with factions that have "teutonic" but I can't say that I've tried it on factions with "no".

If you mean for general usage of the give_everything command then you would be better off taking it to the scripting forum; more people might see it there and be able to help you out.

Patrician Artifex

I'll go looking for the scripting forum, I thought this section of the forum was for scripting though.

This is: Mod Workshop > Tools, Tutorials, and Resources > Text Editing & Scripting.
    I'm suggesting: Mod Workshop > Text Editing & Scripting.

A thread there is more likely to catch someone's eye than a post in this particular tutorial.

That is a great idea, I have a female character I want to spawn as a general but want to avoid male generals receiving a female name, this will solve it nicely.

Quick question, will it also work if I want to make the spawned character a faction leader? Unfortunately I can not really test anything at the moment, not until I fix an unrelated inexplicable CTD in my campaign.

Anyway, +REP!
    The Watchwords Of Midnight
    "The brave and the free fear no foe, go forth, mighty hosts of Midnight! Unto death or victory we go!"

The Midnight Chronicles

Great! I find it very useful for all sorts of things.

Faction leader: no, I don't see how that could work. Maybe someone with more family tree knowledge might know better but I don't think that you can even spawn a faction leader (into an existing faction that already has a tree). You can spawn them into the family tree using the "family" parameter in spawn_army's character line but for this Unique Names thing that would only put them in the hidden faction's tree: whether they end up in the target faction's tree too I don't know (but somehow doubt).

I gave it a quick shot: no luck.

This did not put him in England's tree:

Code:
      spawn_army
        faction spawnpool
        character  spA, named character, age 18, x 96, y 145, family
        unit Peasants	exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0    
      end      

give_everything_to_faction spawnpool england false
    I also tried sending him off map (after being transferred to England) and using "family" in his respawn...

Code:
      spawn_army
        faction spawnpool
        character  spA, named character, age 18, x 96, y 145
      end      

give_everything_to_faction spawnpool england false	

campaign_wait 1.0

send_character_off_map spA

spawn_army
        faction england
        character  spA, named character, age 18, x 96, y 145, family
      end

Hmm, what about a teutonic faction? Would not need to be a family member, correct?

Might be a round about way, but if I start a faction with a leader, pre-first turn spawn my character and also delete the old leader, due to teutonic mechanics, the spawned character would become leader, right?

This CTD issue is driving me mad, I am going to have to make a post later asking for help. I want to test out if my ideas work and I can not even start a campaign right now. Aghh!

Thanks for looking into the leader concept for me Withwnar.
    The Watchwords Of Midnight
    "The brave and the free fear no foe, go forth, mighty hosts of Midnight! Unto death or victory we go!"

The Midnight Chronicles

I don't know enough about the Teutonic mechanics to say. I'd be interested in the answer though.

You're welcome.

Patrician Artifex

I actually found out the problem I was having: I had no units with the "general_unit" attribute in my EDU. I added one for each faction and now your script and everything works fine.

As a note to future modders make sure each faction has at least one unit with the "general_unit" attribute otherwise your named characters and generals will die immediately after spawning.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

My late five cents regarding 'vanishing' units when using 'give_everything..' : units not in the receiving faction's roster will be removed.

OP updated with some info regarding "Custom Unique Bodyguards" (see "WARNING" at the bottom of that section). send_off_map has some limitations when it comes to multiple usages but there is a workaround.

OP updated, again regarding "Custom Unique Bodyguards". Spawning on a sea tile auto-destroys units in his army when sent off map.

OP updated with some further portrait info. See Limitations > Portraits.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast