Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Am I the only one losing every time? (RotS)

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

Default Am I the only one losing every time? (RotS)

So far I've tried 3 campaigns with the "easy" rated factions... and I keep getting my ass kicked! Not in battles, but on the campaign map. The AI steamrolls my buddies, declare war on me as soon as they can, and manage to field multiple full stacks when I can barely afford one!

This is just on normal/normal!

Is anyone else getting their ass kicked constantly?

Default Re: Am I the only one losing every time? (RotS)

I'm playing on Hard/Hard as Minamoto, and facing off against Fujiwara and some minor Taira clans to the west, and still doing quite well. This is also while my sister Minamoto clan was wiped out early on. Who are you playing as, and what is your playstyle campaign map wise?

Do keep in mind that the AI kind of cheats. In that it probably doesn't have to worry about taxes, income, or recruitment slots.

Quote Originally Posted by krisslanza View Post
    Do keep in mind that the AI kind of cheats. In that it probably doesn't have to worry about taxes, income, or recruitment slots.
    The ai is under the same rules as the player, and only cheats so to speak on hard+ difficulties. On easy mode the player is actually the one that has cheats with increased income, less unrest, etc. On normal everything is completely equal.

themoob's Avatar Centenarius

I've tried the northern Minamoto clan (twice) and the northern Fujiwara clan (forget their exact names). I've tried a different style each time, first I tried focusing on military might, then I tried a mix of economy and military, then I tried focusing on agents... each time my sister clan gets defeated quickly, and the other two major clans surround me and declare war with multiple stacks within 40 turns.

ROTS is harder I believe, first the time line is shorter only 100 turns on short versus 120 turns. The starting position is tricky and enemy are more aggressive because of the -40 from different families. I played with Kamakura minamoto on hard and just can't get the upper hand because I have to fight two front war with Fujiwara to the north and taira to the west.

If you find that you don't have enough unit remember to specialize your city. First you want city that focus on commerce only and one or two city that build military unit. For example as Kamakura Minamoto you start off with sagami with the ironsmith so that should be your primary unit producing city. While izu and musashi are good commerce cities. Izu because of the gold mine and Musashi because it got access to port.

For commerce city you want to build trading ports and granary line of market because they give good bonus to wealth growth and that translate to more money. The build clan estate to increase the % of tax you can levy.

On the cities without port you can build schoolhouse, temples as you see fit.

You should get buffer cities that have town watch/militia building that provide a generous defensive units and then provide that cities with a couple archers and one or two units of sword attendent or foot samurai they fight off army twice their size. Remember to upgrade once so you get the walled fort. and just use your main stack to counter one side.

I wouldn't advice you to explore too much early on pick a side and stick with it. The enemy can't declare way on you if they dont know you exist.

Its a balance to try to find trading partners and not overexpose yourself.

Hartassen's Avatar Biarchus

Playing on legendary as the dark red taira that controls kyto from start I'm doing pretty well. Got starter regions + omi + ise + iga. About to convert yamato in a couple of turns. All towns except my capital of settsu are commerce cities and im raking in about 6k per turn on normal taxes. Currently no enemies. Start was rough tho, the omi vassal betrayed me while I was fighting the Iga clan right after taking kawachi so I had to exempt kawachi + put garrison which put me at a disadvantage vs Iga and then the betrayal of the Omi clan was a lot to handle After that the toki + shiba clans declared war on me and now shiba is dead and toki sued for peace.

I got 3 trade nodes, 1 of the incense and 1 of the chinese texts + the wood one. and I got a trade agreement securing me the iron from fujiawara lands.

All in all, good campaign ^^

The settings I think make it impossible to win the game even on easy.
    I have found in the last few days, that after first couple of turns easy plays exactly the same as very hard.
    What is the point of that ?

I lost quite a few campaigns as well.. I can't seem to get a good start as either Fujiwara and get assaulted by several full stacks within 20 turns while barely having half of a full stack of my own .

Ludicus's Avatar Comes Limitis
    Citizen

ROTS is harder I believe
    Yep.
    Is anyone else getting their ass kicked
    *raises a hand*
    Il y a quelque chose de pire que d'avoir une âme perverse. C’est d'avoir une âme habituée
    Charles Péguy

Every human society must justify its inequalities: reasons must be found because, without them, the whole political and social edifice is in danger of collapsing”.
    Thomas Piketty

I did fairly well as the light red Taira in my first campaign, I used a LOT of the allegiance agents (don't remember what they're called, sorry) to pave the way, so when my largest rival declared war on me, I simply bribed half of his cities and armies, these agents literally protected my left flank and took more provinces than my army. The only problem is I didn't prepare for RD (or whatever the bloody thing is called now) so I'm pretty much stuck at 15 provinces, because EVERYONE is trying to kill me!

One thing I've picked up is that levy sucks. Ashigaru could hold a line, but levy will rout after losing 10 men if they're not backed up properly
    (more like babied! BLOODY COWARDS!) I'm going to try my next campaign putting more money into entirely professional armies.
    If you rep me, leave your name. I'll look more kindly on your future transgressions.

Quote Originally Posted by themoob View Post
    So far I've tried 3 campaigns with the "easy" rated factions... and I keep getting my ass kicked! Not in battles, but on the campaign map. The AI steamrolls my buddies, declare war on me as soon as they can, and manage to field multiple full stacks when I can barely afford one!

Is anyone else getting their ass kicked constantly?
    You play too fast, try to be patient and slow down.

You just too careless.
    Its easy to make war with others, its never been easy when we need a peace.

My holy damn simple tactic; Strike First, Strike HARD and SHOW NO MERCY.

Quote Originally Posted by ArcticSoldier View Post
    I lost quite a few campaigns as well.. I can't seem to get a good start as either Fujiwara and get assaulted by several full stacks within 20 turns while barely having half of a full stack of my own .
    While it's tempting to just build up as Fujiwara and possible, you still need to be proactive in hindering your opponents. If you're not disabling your enemy's capability to produce income and soldiers, then naturally they're going to build up.

Are you utilizing agents? Every agent in Rise of the Samurai is useful and can be used to take provinces, invite revolts, seduce generals, kill generals, or various other means of debilitating enemy forces. If you're not as active with your military, then you have to be very active with your agents. Otherwise as you build up, so will other clans and they'll only grow larger.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Brusilov's Avatar Local Moderator
    Citizen

I've either found that my allies expand way too fast and then lose the regions or they do bugger all.

The best I've done so far is with the Fukuhara Taira where I had a number of regions on the mainland and then sent two armies onto Shikoku and clean up the island for my faction only to have the equivalent of the 'Realm Divide' happen and everyone declares war on me and invade with full stacks. I had left one army on the mainland and they did OK for a while and I did manage to get one of my armies back from Shikoku but then the pirates hot my trade routes in a place that I could not reach for a few turns.....

Local Forum Moderator (Total War: Eras Technical Help, Shogun 2: Total War, RSII, RTR, World Of Tanks) - please no PMs

War Thunder TWC Player Names: here

valky's Avatar Ducenarius

If your sister clan is beaten quite a lot, just place a small army near the town so you can intervene in the enemy's attack as well. And do the battle manually! You'd be wondered how this simply move turns the tides (usually)
    Though this helps only if he has quite some army in there. Did this in the normal campaign very often to help my vassal to survive and even to reduce the enemies armies, so I could wipe him out afterwards

[The AI will often send his general only against your troops and you'd be able to easily kill him = reduced morale for his troops = win]

And don't underestimate the new agents, specially the new Geisha (forgot the name) - it's very helpful to stall the movement of armies.

Besides, I actually thought at the beginning that RotS is fairly easy, cause the starting mini-clans didn't build any greater armies and I could easily capture their towns. But after turn 30+ it became pretty stressful for me as the greater clans became stronger and usually declare war on you.
    I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favourite store on the Citadel!
    I'm Garrus Vakarian and this is now my favourite spot on the Citadel!

Better ingame Encyclopedia for Shogun 2 (reworked) - RotS - FotS (new map) + web-based version

Quote Originally Posted by themoob View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylentwolf8 View Post
    I'm playing on Hard/Hard as Minamoto

Are you able to set the difficulty levels separately in shogun 2? I only get 1 slider when I start a campaign. I'm pretty sure I remember 2 sliders in old total war games. For fun I'd like to have battle difficulties legendary and campaign hard/very hard.

Right now I'm playing on hard and steamrolling everything. And the actual battles are wayyy to easy.

Quote Originally Posted by boifido View Post
    Are you able to set the difficulty levels separately in shogun 2? I only get 1 slider when I start a campaign. I'm pretty sure I remember 2 sliders in old total war games. For fun I'd like to have battle difficulties legendary and campaign hard/very hard.

Right now I'm playing on hard and steamrolling everything. And the actual battles are wayyy to easy.
    Yeah, I see only one slider as well. I'm assuming it's a habit attributed to previous games.

The battles are easy on hard, but I think it's sufficient on the campaign. So if there are two sliders, that would be awesome.
    Total War Live Commentary: Click Here
    De Bello Mundi: Greek City States
    Third Age Total War: Arnor with MOS
    M&B: Warband: A Clash of Kings
    M&B: Warband: Gekokujo

Quote Originally Posted by Ethien View Post
    Yeah, I see only one slider as well. I'm assuming it's a habit attributed to previous games.

The battles are easy on hard, but I think it's sufficient on the campaign. So if there are two sliders, that would be awesome.
    Gah I was hoping it was somewhere in an options menu or something. When I'm playing Total War just for some fun I like to have the campaign map a bit easier so I can tech and get uber units but I still like intelligent battle ai. Playing on legendary and worrying every turn about cost and upkeep and profit and micromanagement is something I only like to do once in a while.

You can edit the Battle difficulty in the game options ingame

Captain Arrrgh!'s Avatar I'z in yer grass

Moob, maybe try combining politics with warfare. I've been able to win many regions through agents and popularity so I can divert the weight of my troops elsewere.
    As a matter of fact S2 and RotS have best political gameplay of the franchise yet. Treaties actually mean something and agents are actually useful. It will good to see CA take the positives from S2 into the next title.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast