Thread: Realistic Horses Mod

Live2sculpt's Avatar Senator

Default Realistic Horses Mod

I only just jumped into S2TW to realize that the fine horse models used in Napoleon, for whatever reason, have not been implemented in this latest game. The skins might be the same, bu the meshes seem different. The models seem to be a reversion back to the chunky nast that populated the M2TW game, and prompted Argent Usher's Realhorses Mod.

Why has this happened and why hasn't anyone fixed it yet?
    Is there a technical reason this can't be addressed?
    Is there a practical reason that these must look worse than NTW horses?
    What prevents the importation of a NTW mesh to the S2TW game?

I'm a professional sculptor (hence the name) and often get horses in my contracts, so it's particularly frustrating to see poorly modeled animals like this. As a designer, the sight makes my eyes bleed.

Default Re: Realistic Horses Mod

I second that. The horses in this game are poorly modeled and for their size they are more suitable for heavy work or pull heavy wagons. I think that this race of horse didn't existed in Japan on that period, and if existed, was not used for war.
    Last edited by Tulius; October 01, 2011 at 07:07 AM.

Yeah they are sort of chunky... and beyond that, the animations for them and their riders seems overly unified, unlike in NTW where rider seemed separate from horse, which was nice.

Not a sculptor, but a rider... so the worst part for me is... they go from walk to run without moving through trot or cantering... which looks so gamey.

I love watching my cavalry in NTW... not so much in STW. I love how they trot and then sort of canter and then burst into a run in a charge!

I'm still waiting for the game that has horses rear ends moving a bit separately from their front ends... because some time you kick 'em around to get their rear lined up right with their front, which in tight turns and jumping is critical, but aesthetically has always pleased me to watch.
    Last edited by dearmad; October 02, 2011 at 07:15 PM.

Ebullient Princesses! Titles! Bloodlines! Bastard Traitors!
    So much fun in one little BBB package! Get yours today!

I wonder if these are all shortcuts their team made deliberately in order to improve performance?
    I can certainly attest to more responsive cavalry action on my end.
    But what a price to pay.....

Hm. Interesting. because I find my cavalry far more responsive in NTW. Maybe it's perceptual- as I can gauge their speed better by their gait, but they are plenty responsive and more helpful in NTW, IMO.

Ebullient Princesses! Titles! Bloodlines! Bastard Traitors!
    So much fun in one little BBB package! Get yours today!

Quote Originally Posted by dearmad View Post
    I love watching my cavalry in NTW... not so much in STW. I love how they trot and then sort of canter and then burst into a run in a charge!
    Hey, at least Shogun 2 horses aren't this bad:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Davidicus II View Post
    Hey, at least Shogun 2 horses aren't this bad:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Hell! I wanna play THAT game right now!