Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Writers' Study Reorganization Project - Member feedback needed

StealthFox's Avatar Consensus Achieved
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Default Re: Writers' Study Reorganization Project - Member feedback needed

Why not combine the Writer's Lounge with Creative writing/Fiction and have one place for people to either talk about writing or post their own material? Also, I'm not so sure about the Guild Hall and Hall of Gentlemen; it just seems convoluted and pretentious to me.

Katsumoto's Avatar Quae est infernum es
    took an arrow to the knee

Just having a 'chat' thread of sorts in Creative Writing would be fine, yeah. Don't really need a whole sub-forum. I do like the Hall of Gentlemen (name can be changed I suppose) for people to make threads just to display their work.
    "I pray Heaven to bestow the best of blessings on this house and all that shall hereafter inhabit it. May none but honest and wise men ever rule under this roof."
    - John Adams, on the White House, in a letter to Abigail Adams (2 November 1800)

Quote Originally Posted by StealthFox View Post
    Why not combine the Writer's Lounge with Creative writing/Fiction and have one place for people to either talk about writing or post their own material?
    I would like to keep the Lounge separate from CW. One reason for this reorganization is to strengthen CW, which could be lost in the Lounge. The Lounge has a separate function of help and feedback on technical issues and also being a hangout place (so people, please start hanging out there )

Is it possible to have the AAR forum links in the game forums to show latest post etc? Will probably help to attract more attention to the AARs.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?

Blog Entries

I ask pardon for the lack of details, I could put only this much from cellphone.

Also, I ask permission to open a new thread for this.

What is your reasoning for a new thread?

EDIT: Ok, I also have two comments on the proposed structure (thanks by the way, feedback is always good).

1. If there is a competitions subforum, it should include TotW too. I was actually thinking about a similar structure to consolidate all competitions under one banner, but it may bury the actual competition threads under an additional layer, so I kinda convinced myself.

2. What is the difference between the Lounge, the Guild and the Hall of Gentleman in your structure? They seem to be iterations of the "hangout" place. I am not sure we have enough interest or content to fill three different sections.
    Last edited by Radzeer; October 21, 2011 at 03:19 PM.

m_1512's Avatar Quomodo vales?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    What is your reasoning for a new thread?
    Sent a PM.

EDIT: Ok, I also have two comments on the proposed structure (thanks by the way, feedback is always good).

1. If there is a competitions subforum, it should include TotW too. I was actually thinking about a similar structure to consolidate all competitions under one banner, but it may bury the actual competition threads under an additional layer, so I kinda convinced myself.
    That would include MAARC and BAARC and the point lists.
    But I simply couldn't bring myself about to destroy Mega's legacy of TotW.

2. What is the difference between the Lounge, the Guild and the Hall of Gentleman in your structure? They seem to be iterations of the "hangout" place. I am not sure we have enough interest or content to fill three different sections.
    I intend to flesh it out, currently awaiting your reply.
    They are not similar though, I assure you.

ReD_OcToBeR's Avatar Senator

All of the competitions should go under one Forum. This isn't about one's legacy, this is about the community. Seeing how AARs do not have their competitions within their forum, I do not see why TOTW should have theirs hidden away in their forum. If the AARs had theirs structured like the TOTW I think the participation would be lower like the TOTW currently. I think bringing all of the competitions into one forum would be good exposure for both as TOTW people and AAR people would "bump" into other's work more often. I don't see it as destroying anything, more like building on what is already there.

Just my 2 cents.

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Putting all of the competitions in one sub forum won't work. When we created the writers study all of the competitions where in one forum, ToTW lost people that competed so MAARC and ToTW got separated again. I 'll agree with you if you tell me that putting them (MAARC & ToTW) in one forum looks neater but it has been done in the past and failed.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Hesus de bodemloze View Post
    Putting all of the competitions in one sub forum won't work. When we created the writers study all of the competitions where in one forum, ToTW lost people that competed so MAARC and ToTW got separated again. I 'll agree with you if you tell me that putting them (MAARC & ToTW) in one forum looks neater but it has been done in the past and failed.
    Ok, it's good to know.

Likely TotW draws a different crowd than the AAR-based competitions. I wonder if TotW could be advertised as a general creative writing competition (which I think it is), and that would give it a clearly different face.

I suggest having a weekly bulletin type thing under the parent forum with running logs of the latest goings on in each of the subforums, such as an overview of the latest AAR updates, the state of the latest competitions so that users can easily find the latest goings on without having to dig through each of the many subforums individually. This could also act as an advertising thread for AARs (instead of the current one that exists in the competition forum - getting summarized information from that is like squeezing water from a stone) and the different competitions to catch people's attention.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    I suggest having a weekly bulletin type thing under the parent forum with running logs of the latest goings on in each of the subforums, such as an overview of the latest AAR updates, the state of the latest competitions so that users can easily find the latest goings on without having to dig through each of the many subforums individually. This could also act as an advertising thread for AARs (instead of the current one that exists in the competition forum - getting summarized information from that is like squeezing water from a stone) and the different competitions to catch people's attention.
    There is actually a staff discussion on something like that. ^

MIDN Mainolfi's Avatar Tiro
    Somewhere.......over there maybe.......no...........

Would it be possible to create a sub-forum, or whatever the proper terminology would be, for compiling all of the shortcuts to writing resources/shortcuts from around the internet?

Sorry if I've missed something that already suggests this, had a long day today!
    Proud Descendant of Robert the Bruce
    !!!!ZOIDBERG!!!! Click it!!! ZOIDBERG II!

Moderate Party of Sparta

Hesus de bodemloze's Avatar The Gaul
    Civitate Patrician Content Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MIDN Mainolfi View Post
    Would it be possible to create a sub-forum, or whatever the proper terminology would be, for compiling all of the shortcuts to writing resources/shortcuts from around the internet?

Sorry if I've missed something that already suggests this, had a long day today!
    You are always allowed to create a thread and make a catalogue with all the resources from the internet that might have helped you.

A sub forum will not be created for this.
    Horum omnium fortissimi sunt Belgae :
    Hesus 's Photo Gallery
    The Writers Study|Ex-Global Moderator|Moderation Mentor| Ex - Librarian of the Scriptorium|PoTW|MAARC|ToTW
    SPQR Forum Moderator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12