Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Interactive UFO X-COM AAR/Let's Play!

Default Interactive UFO X-COM AAR/Let's Play!

(Or to you Americans, X-com UFO Defence)

I've recently decided to start up this old gem again.
    Thought it might be an idea to share it with the community here, if there's interest for that.

First of all, a quick introduction to the game, for those that aren't familiar with it.
    In the late 90's UFO's started appearing all over the world, with abductions, cow mutilations and all else that are associated with our grey friends.
    The various nations initiated their own anti-UFO organizations to combat the aliens, and all failed miserably. At an emergency meeting in Geneva, Switzerland it was decided to create an international organization backed by the nations of the world. Thus they created the X-COM - Extraterrestrial Combat Unit. That's us!

The game is generally divided into two parts:
    1: The tactical overhead map, showing the earth, where we build and manage our bases, research, manufacturing, as well as intercepting incoming UFOs and bases.
    The overhead map and base management looks like this:

2: The turn-based combat part, where we land with our selected troops and switch turns with the aliens to horribly mutilate each other. The interface looks like this:

1. Move up one level. Only works when you are a floater, hovertank, flying suit, or on a transporter pad.
    2. View up one level. Good for seeing what's on top of buildings.
    3. View radar.
    4. See equipment screen
    5. Next squaddie/unit.
    6. I dunno. Seems to have something to do with level viewing.
    7. End turn.
    8. Move down one level. See 1.
    9. View down one level. See 2.
    10. Kneel/stand.
    11. Center on controlled unit.
    12. Next character, do not select character again this turn.
    13. Options.
    14. Abort mission.
    15. Right hand weapon/item.
    16. Left hand weapon/item.
    17. TU reservations for opportunity shots. I almost never use these.
    18. Rank. You can also click this to see stats and check for fatal wounds.
    19. Quick statistics. The green is TUs left, the orange, stamina, the red, health, and the purple, morale.
    20. The battlescape itself. Each unit, saving HWPs, Reapers, and I think some other aliens occupy one square. Currently, a tank is controlled.

Finally, we have our trusty soldiers. They all come with various randomized stats.
    Soldiers are obviously the heart and soul of X-COM. These brave soldiers fly around the world to combat the alien threat. Now, being an X-COM soldier is no easy job. If you manage to get off the Skyranger (First basic transport plane) without getting shot into pieces, you're doing good! If you manage to actually survive a mission, that's an amazing feat and if you even manage to take down an alien, you're a hero! The average life expectancy for an X-COM soldier is.. not very long.

Time Units are basically how much an soldier can move each turn. Every action, from moving, kneeling, shooting and so fort take up Time Units. When the soldier is out of TU's he can move no more this turn.

Stamina is how fit the soldier is. If he's expending all his TU's every turn, he'll get tired and lose Stamina. He'll then have to rest for a while to move again. This is rarely an issue though.

Health is quite self-explaining. Take damage and lose health. Lose all health, and the soldier dies. If a soldier gets hit and survives, he might take a severe wound, causing him to lose health every turn unless healed by a med-kit or the mission is over.

Bravery determines how brave the soldier is (DUH!). When your comrades start dropping like flies, and an alien tries to mind-control you, will you keep it cool, or drop your weapon and start running around in panic? Or even go frenzy and start shooting everything around you, friend or foe.

Reactions allows you to fire off shots of opportunity if an alien walks into sight during their turn, providing you have enough TU's left to take the shot.

Accuracy determines if you hit the enemy between the eyes, or the barn door behind it. (Or your friends ass)

Throwing is the soldiers skill with grenades, range and accuracy.

Strength determines how much stuff a soldier can carry before he starts to lose TU's due to overweight.

Finally there are also two other hidden skills, Psi Strength and Psi Skill, which won't be revealed until the proper research later into the game.

Now, to the real deal! Getting started!

The generally idea is that you sign up with your soldiers, and I'll play the game and report on the missions and general happenings. I'll throw major decisions, like what to research, if we want to attempt that night-terror mission and so forth into the forum, letting you get your say.

First thing first, in order for this to get off the ground, we need troops for the meat-grinder! This is where you come into the picture! Sign up here with your preferred name and if you wish skill-set. Generally I categorize the soldiers into Scouts (high TU and reactions), Snipers (High Accuracy) and Heavy Weapons (High Strength).

I'll then name the soldiers after you, and have you participate in the action.

Secondly, we need to decide where to place our first base (obviously named TWcenter!)
    I'd say there's 3 choices.

1: North America, covering USA and Canada. Now USA provides the largest income for any single country, but it also leaves a lot of nations un-covered.

2: Europe. Individually the nations here doesn't provide as much income as USA, but the coverage of far more nations makes up for that, rivaling and probably raising above North America.

3: Asia, covering Japan, China, Russia, and partly India and Australia. Japan is the second largest contributor to the X-COM fundings, so this is another choice to consider.

If we do well in protection a nation, they might increase their funding every month, while nations that are unhappy with our actions will reduce their fundings, and perhaps even drop out entirely of the X-COM support.

So how about it? Any interest in this?
    Don't be shy, there's always room for another poor rookie into the meat grinder!

Before getting started, I'm thinking I'll need at least 8 people to sign up, to name the first troopers available.
    Last edited by PerXX; October 01, 2011 at 06:06 AM.

Default Re: [Proposal] Interactive UFO AAR/Let's Play!

I came over here from "The "lets bring back classic franchises and make them shooters" thread" - sounds like an interesting thing to follow, especially because the game is so unforgiving...
    You can count me in for a sniper, if you will. I would not like ending up as a mind-controlled traitor, though, so do look out for a "brave" guy as well, please...

Concerning the base: I would suggest setting it up in central Europe to cover as many countries as possible there.

Ah, excellent! Welcome!
    I'll see if I can't find someone who's not entirely useless for you!
    Yeah, the unforgiving, or down-right hostile gameplay is one of the games more appealing parts. If we get enough players to get this started, I'll be playing with out doing any reloading, so if anyone get's a plasma shot to the groin, that's just bad luck. I will be trying not to use you guys _entirely_ as expendable cannonfodder though

It might suffer a bit from being placed in this forum, not too many people randomly drop by to spot it. I'll try to check with a moderator if it'd be okay to post some sort of recruitment thread in the "Other Games" forum, to get a bit more attention.

Stario's Avatar Domesticus

Name: Adolph bin Stalin (Adolph Stalin if you cannot fit whole name)
    Focus: Firing accuracy & Time units (make sure you move me every turn and have me fire on stuff).

ps. try not getting me killed.

pps. the way I used to play is to save game every turn (usually at start of each turn), during strategic battle. That way if any of my soldiers got killed I'd reload the game. The game is somewhat difficult at beginning when your soldiers aren't that good and get killed a lot. This allowed me to build up the stats of soldiers instead of getting them killed and having to bring in rookies constantly. Will you be doing the same? or will you be playing without saving during battles? (where a disastrous mission, or an alien with PSI ability (during later campaigns), can get even the most senior squads decimated).

edit: set up first base in Eastern Europe (Bulkan Peninsula); this will get nice coverage into both western Europe, north Africa and Asia.
    Last edited by Stario; September 29, 2011 at 03:40 AM.

Welcome aboard, Private Adolph!

I'll be playing without any sort of reloads. Deaths will happen! That's why I'll need as many recruits as possible to sign up here!
    Depending on the interest, I might be throwing in regular soldiers without ties to any TWcenter user, perhaps adding some of the Mods here as soldiers too, and some noteworthy soldiers could be returned as a recruit after death. Preferably we'll have plenty of people signing up for duty eventually. Feel free to invite anyone you know across the boards here!

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Space Voyager reporting for deity! Erm, duty... Europe was always my starting point.

Speaking of the base, it would be a good idea to plan ahead for a full reconstruction of the base so we can get the maximum tactical advantage when defending. Basically, stash all hangars to one side of the base and make the elevator shaft the only way to get to them. Then, connect the elevator on one other side only (there are no diagonal connections, as far as I know, so you can build "edge on edge"), and build the rest of the base from there. Sure, it will lose us a few slots, but the defensive advantage outweighs that, in my opinion. Because with this setup, the only way to enter our base proper would be through the elevator shaft room - choke point for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Voyager View Post
    Space Voyager reporting for deity! Erm, duty... Europe was always my starting point.
    Welcome aboard trooper!

Quote Originally Posted by Tankfriend View Post
    Speaking of the base, it would be a good idea to plan ahead for a full reconstruction of the base so we can get the maximum tactical advantage when defending. Basically, stash all hangars to one side of the base and make the elevator shaft the only way to get to them. Then, connect the elevator on one other side only (there are no diagonal connections, as far as I know, so you can build "edge on edge"), and build the rest of the base from there. Sure, it will lose us a few slots, but the defensive advantage outweighs that, in my opinion. Because with this setup, the only way to enter our base proper would be through the elevator shaft room - choke point for the win.
    It's a good plan, at least for future bases. I'm not sure it's worth it for the beginning base, considering how far it's developed already. I'm thinking we might loose too much precious time waiting for the reconstruction of buildings we need from the get-go. I'll take a look at that once we get started!

I probably won't have time to start this up today, so we'll have until tomorrow for new recruits to sign up. Of course, there's always room for more people, even (actually, especially) after the game have begun.

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    (actually, especially) after the game have begun.
    Yes, especially after the start of the game...
    About the base: If it is the standard triangular design like the one in the example screenshot you gave, it actually should not be too much of a problem. Order a hangar on either side of the lonely hangar on the upper end of the base, as well as a replacement for the room right of the elevator (positioning this one anywhere except next to the elevator or the top hangar). When all of those are finished, destroy the original buildings and we are done.
    Obviously, this has no absolute priority - we probably need the money for other things, first.

Concerning Bases:

Be careful when disbanding base facilities- leaving empty squares where structures were once built, still results in paying maintenance on such empty squares (but not at the old rate). Each empty square that once had a facility will now incur automatic 80K per month. So one needs to be diligent with planning here. For example, taking down a single hanger (x4 squares) will incur in 320K maintenance per month. Too add, if you start building a facility on a square(s) and change your mind before it is complete you will also incur the 80K maintenance fee from the time the facility would've been complete.

edit: The prudent Commander will keep in the back of his mind this simple rule with regards to base building and defence: That is that X-COM operatives start in the living quarters + storage facilities, while the aliens start in the access lift + hangers. This allows the experienced X-COM Commander to utilise choke points:

Our starting base should be redesigned (as per above pic), while keeping in mind the special maintenance incurred. This, in order for it to be easier defended by our X-COM operatives. Also it's always good to build general stores next to the access lift opposite the hanger. This is because general stores are quick to complete and one can then build other facilities (minus hangers) from it.

Later, a 2-choke point strategy may also be employed. It's worth noting that (the above pic), which uses a 2-choke point strategy has a small radar facility connected to the hanger (the small radar facility will be represented by an open space during base defence). This way our X-COM operatives can employ the use of long range missile weapons from the workshop below to fire into the hanger (while still having access to cover), during defence of such choke point; the Aliens on the other hand have nowhere to hide while trying to assault such choke point.

The base design to our subsequent bases should use principles as per above pic. The access lift on the side acting as a choke point between the hangers. Also note the long corridor between the access point and the rest of the base. Generally living quarters and stores are the most important facilities to build first. However, at least one hanger should be present (if Aliens don't have enough spawning points they start using spawning points designed for our X-COM personnel- when this occurs base defence becomes a nightmare). The Hyper-wave decoder is also an important facility to build first once it becomes available.
    Last edited by Stario; September 29, 2011 at 11:50 AM.

That is a worthy point. At least for new bases. My usual plan for base defenses are to not let the damn aliens get there at all!
    I'll be starting this up later today when I get off work.

Trying to get rid of the aliens beforehand sounds like a good idea, but it should not be our only kind of serious defenses. Being prepared pays off in the long run.
    Last edited by Tankfriend; September 30, 2011 at 03:32 AM.

Awww, but what is a proper UFO game without massive casualties because of something stupid you did?

I guess that will happen in the normal battles more than often enough.

We'll see soon enough. Around T-5 hours untill X-COM officially launches!

Quote Originally Posted by PerXX View Post
    That is a worthy point. At least for new bases. My usual plan for base defenses are to not let the damn aliens get there at all!
    I'll be starting this up later today when I get off work.

Keep in mind that the Alien assault on X-COM base(s) is only done by Battleships on a retaliation mission (smaller ships can be on retaliation missions but they only act as scouts and never actually attack X-COM bases). Now x6 Fusion ball defences with x1 Grav Shield can indefinitely hold out a battleship. The problem is the way the UFO game engine works is that a base is "flagged" until a battleship manages to land and assault it. Thus, destroying a battleship on a retaliation mission will result in the game engine automatically sending another battleship to the base. Now since no resources nor points are gained from destroying battleships there is no point in destroying them. I usually only bother with x1 Grav shield and x1-2 fusion ball defences, and let the thing land- this way X-COM operative gain experience and the X-COM commander gets his loot.

There is one more crucial thing the will save the X-COM Commander a whole lot of heart-ache with regards to building bases. Its called the "Base Disjoint Bug" (see pic below).

The walls marked in white are removed if there is an adjacent facility. The green squares are not affected. However notice the yellow squares, they only have one exit/entry point and the rest is wall. The orange square is completely sealed of, thus building anything here (apart from a hanger) will mean the room will be sealed of; for example building an access lift on the orange square means any aliens spawned there are sealed off from the rest of the base and vice versa for living quarters/general stores.

Look at the picture above. This is an example of the "Base Disjoint Bug" in action. The General Stores act as the only choke point between the hangers and the rest of the base. The problem is the only exit/entry point would have been in the north (in this case however the general stores facility is completely sealed of as there is no module connecting to the north of it). The Aliens are therefore totally sealed of from X-COM operatives (there is however a way to take advantage of this bug but you need weapons that can punch through base walls- i.e a few shots from the heavy plasma or the blaster launcher). However if you haven't got such weapons available then your base defence game comes to a rather annoying halt.

Another example of the "base disjoint bug"
    Last edited by Stario; September 30, 2011 at 05:11 AM.

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

Come on people, no need to take a game this seriously! It needs to be fun, not utterly directed in every little detail...

Quote Originally Posted by Space Voyager View Post
    Come on people, no need to take a game this seriously! It needs to be fun, not utterly directed in every little detail...
    Good shout! Well said indeed. You've just earned the honors of not being the first guy into the UFO!

Yes, yes... he will always be the first one out the transporter hatch and always on point, instead...
    Seriously, though, planning ahead is more important in UFO than most other games I know, and especially the disjoint bug can ruin your entire game if you are stuck in battle without wanting to surrender your base willingly to get out of it.

All right troopers, listen up!
    I'm Commander PerXX!
    Welcome into service for the X-COM! You're one of the few, the proud! The defenders of the world!
    Each and every one of you have been selected especially because of your skill! Or because you couldn't get a job elsewhere. Or because you had a name that fitted one of the (only slightly bloody) name-tags we already had!
    Now, head over to Medical and get your check-up done.
    I'll meet you in Briefing later!
    Dismissed!

So, this is our current heroes.

X-COM have set up base in Hungary, just east of Budapest. Partly because that should allow us to cover Europe, and part of Russia and Egypt too, but mainly because the building site was cheap.

This is TWCenter, your new home. Don't mind the construction sites, we're currently expanding to a larger radar system, as well as building extra storage space, living quarters and another laboratory.
    Oh, and a Alien Containment cell, in case we capture any live ones. You know, for entertainment Friday Night.

Building the new buildings costs a good chunk of the ~4 million dollars we started out with. The rest of the money have been spend on ordering new Avalanche Missile launchers for our Interceptor fighters, a tank, as well as an extra crew of scientists.

The Avalanche Missile launchers are long range missiles, actually the longest range aircraft weapon available in the game. Each slot is capable of three shots before needing to rearm.

An intercepter is our currently only plane capable of shooting down UFO's It's equipped with two weapon slots. Equipping Avalanches in both slots allows us 6 shots at long range, meaning we should be able to take down small - medium sized UFOs at a range where they won't be able to return fire. If we encounter UFOs that we can't take down with 6 Avalanches - well, that's why we have two Interceptors!

The other aircraft we have is the Skyranger transport. It have a cargo space of 14 soldiers.

The tank is bought for a few reasons. Primarily it'll be the first out of the Skyranger, meaning you guys won't take a plasma bolt to the head the second you exit. Secondly, it can take a good deal more damage than your average soldier, and thirdly because it comes with a rocket launcher! It also takes up space for 4 soldiers.

The Scientists are ordered to research Laser Weapons (the other options being a Motion Scanner or Medi-kits).

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast