Thread: ROTS campaign map graphics on Shogun 2 campaign

Default ROTS campaign map graphics on Shogun 2 campaign

Is possible to transfer the ROTS campaign map graphics to Shogun 2 campaing map? The Rise of the Samurai map is more visually appealing

Default Re: ROTS campaign map graphics on Shogun 2 campaign

I second this, and I knew it'd be one of the first things requested after RotS came out . CA definitely did a better job with the new map, and since they want RotS to "have its own feel", they probably won't apply the new changes to the original map, even in a patch. Thus, if possible, a mod is our only option.

Ducenarius

careful where you say those kinds of things, the fascists will hear you!
    The scribes on all the people shove
    And bawl allegiance to the state,
    But they who love the greater love
    Lay down their life; they do not hate

Tribunus

Apparently it is however as it stands it would be against a few laws.

Everyone keeps saying this is illegal, but never cites anything. They patched my game (With autopatching supposedly disabled!) and delivered unencrypted files to my machine for a game I have a license to. Is the DLC license for the files or for playing the content it? I think it's the latter; they already gave me the files.

Indeed, the files are part of patch9.pack. What parts of that pack are we not allowed to touch? Who decides? Should we just close down the mod sections preemptively to avoid confusing anyone?
    Last edited by mousemaker; September 28, 2011 at 04:49 PM.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Content is legal provided it only distributes modified files not original game files under copyright (ie modded files). One cannot infringe on DLC with modding (ie doing exactelly the same thing for free).

When you install games you agree to a EULA which states you have no ownership over the game or its content, only a license to use it though i personally hate that a patch should be 2gb big its classed as consential as you can make steam not download patches..

That is why one cannot redistribute dlc. Be grateful CA has not taken the same stance as diablo 3 and banned mods.

Ducenarius

Yeah but what about those of us who paid for both. While distribution of content itself would be illegal can the method to change out campaign maps be tutorialed for those of us whom already have the files on our PCs legally to do?

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Nope because then the people who had not bought it could do the same thing.

Ducenarius

Wouldnt those "illegals" have to obtain the map material via piracy to even have the proper files on hand to transpose maps if a tutorial guiding how to do so were posted??? Unless the file material is present within the "patch" work of the update as well, in which case CA gave it all out for free and only charged for a "key" to unlock it with, i.e. ROTS campaign DL?

If the releasing of DLC files part is the legality hang up, then so long as no files are included with instructions, how can it be illegal?

not trying to be a pest or counter productive, just trying to get most out of my TW.

The content is pushed out to everyone even if you haven't bought the DLC, that's why the patch is so huge. But if you haven't bought the DLC so you haven't unlocked it and by circumventing that... you get the idea?

That's the theory, I believe. There's no way for a mod to verify the person has bought the DLC. If there was, a mod that enabled the DLC map on Vanilla shogun for ONLY people that had verifiably bought the DLC would be legitimate. I think.

I like the original map. It's more fanciful.

Ebullient Princesses! Titles! Bloodlines! Bastard Traitors!
    So much fun in one little BBB package! Get yours today!

This would not be allowed unless you:
    1)Owned both Rise of the Samurai and Shogun 2
    2)Did not distribute it. At all.
    3)Or received permission from CA.
    Last edited by Bolkonsky; September 29, 2011 at 03:07 PM.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

Moderators trying to prevent the possibility of something questionable is like police locking the doors to every shop - it's not practical and it's not what they're there for.

So, how about for those of us who have purchased the "key to unlock" the files?

Quote Originally Posted by mousemaker View Post
    Moderators trying to prevent the possibility of something questionable is like police locking the doors to every shop - it's not practical and it's not what they're there for.

So, how about for those of us who have purchased the "key to unlock" the files?
    It is what I'm here for. Why not read the Terms of Service? Porting the DLC to the original game and releasing it is illegal. Take a look at what forum you're in: Shogun 2 Mod Threads. If the OP wants to open a thread in the Workshop asking how to do it himself, he can go right ahead, but there will not be a released mod doing it for other people, which is what this forum is for. Thread Closed.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud