Page 4 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sci-Fi?

Lord of Lost Socks's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: Good Sci-Fi?

I might've hijacked it a little.

“The human eye is a wonderful device. With a little effort, it can fail to see even the most glaring injustice.”

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    took an arrow to the knee Content Emeritus spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Lost Socks View Post
    I might've hijacked it a little.
    Don't worry about it. I don't mind any extra discussion. I just started it as a thread about tv but it's even better to talk about the genre in general. So props to you
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Blog Entries

How is Haven? Is that a good show?

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Tribunus

Fun, again not a sci-fi, but fun. Better from a writing and acting point of view when compared with either Eureka or W-13.

Blog Entries

Okay...I might consider that...My birthday is coming up and I am thinking of making it a "sci fi" birthday

Thinking about asking for Farscape, for one...Lol. If not birthday, than a Christmas, because I will have a lot more time over Christmas.

Blog Entries

Well I am done with Stargate Atlantis...Now I can focus on schoolwork for a while.

Lord of the Drunk Penguin's Avatar Tribunus

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post

The Clone Returns Home http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313130/ is a Japanese film that uses the genre of science fiction to examine the implications for clones, and whether they would have souls, and also whether society would consider them to even if no one could prove they didn't but would assume they didn't.
    Only the Japanese have this retarded concept. I don't get why they think like that, we have babies born in-vitro nowdays and they seem to have souls as your average man on the street

Is it a new form of racism? It's the same shite that made me angry in
    Never Let Me Go http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1334260/( also with clones, also written by a Japanese author, also questioning the existence of a soul inside a clone)

What the hell, Japan?

Well , you should see Never Let Me Go.

I wanted to kill that teacher going " The purpose of the art gallery wasn't to establish who you are inside, but to establish if you have souls at all. Do you understand? DO YOU UNDERSTAND?"

Yeah, I understand. Suck on this, ! BLAMO!

Quote Originally Posted by RubiconDecision View Post
    Yeah, I agree. Like your avatar as Blade Runner is one of the best sci-fi ever made. It's the same theme of a multi-tiered society of humanity based on political exigencies. That's why we feel for the replicants, and admire Roy even though he's so violent. He's enslaved and trying to acquire freedom by coming back to the very place he probably should be running away from. They really changed the story by Phillip K Dick, a true mad genius.
    Precisely, my friend.

You are correct in judging me and Philip Kay is a genius for allowing replicants to fight back.
    Altough in his book, Roy is actually more insane than in the movie. That was Sir Ridley's Scot's idea to flesh out his character, add that to Rutger Hauer's marvelous performance and we get a very different type of clone altogether.
    I couldn't get how characters in Never Let Me Go could be so patient when they hear the bad news
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    that there is no hope , that they are bred for their organs, that they can't get out, that their donation is due, they just lie there, waiting in total submission and passivity

That made me real mad. It made me think of Spartacus and his revolt. Even in antiquity, when it was alright for some people to own other people, people fought back.
    Then I went on the internet and did some digging. Turns out the Japanese writer of the official book on which Never Let Me Go was based on, have been asked at press conferences
    why don't the clones fight back?
    To which he said:
    I am aware of the fact that they could, I just didn't want my book to evolve on that line. I wanted to show the hopelessness of life and the reality of death.

Well, gee, mister Kazuo Ishiguro, that's giving your characters a choice.
    It's just character-rape to me. Using your characters as mere tools for the plot seems evil to me. Not allowing them to live, to take life into their own hands
    just so your own depressed view on the world can come across the general public seems a tad ... cheesy

For books:
    Red Mars, Green Mars and Blue Mars are good hard (real) sci-fies.

Or
    Exile

For films:
    the best one is "Blade Runner".

one of the contenders for second place is "Road".
    In tribute to concerned friends:
    - You know nothing Jon Snow.

Samples from the Turkish Cuisine by white-wolf

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of the Drunk Penguin View Post
    Well, gee, mister Kazuo Ishiguro, that's giving your characters a choice.
    It's just character-rape to me. Using your characters as mere tools for the plot seems evil to me. Not allowing them to live, to take life into their own hands
    just so your own depressed view on the world can come across the general public seems a tad ... cheesy

He's not unique in having their characters being an illustration of the point they were trying to make.

Being of Japanese descent, you do wonder to what extent fatalism played in it.

You're looking for characters to struggle against their fate; they may be more interested in living in the moment.

Blog Entries

Well it's official...I'm getting Farscape. At the time I'm posting this, the complete series is $49.99. I saw almost no negative reviews on the set itself, and 50 bucks for four seasons is incredible, considering buying them individually would be at least twice as much.

http://www.amazon.com/Farscape-Compl...9139566&sr=1-2

Tribunus

Well, Farscape is an absolutely fantastic show. Really niche though.

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    (I looked around for a similar thread but couldn't find one)

As some of you may have noticed, I'm sort of on a sci-fi binge right now. I have sort of grown tired of shows currently airing (with the exception of a few), so I have started watching older TV shows/franchises that I have either never had a chance to watch though I was interested (X-Files comes to mind, which I started acquiring last year and now own the whole series) or never really thought of them as my cup of tea (the Stargate franchise). Since June, I have gotten into the Stargate franchise, and I have gained a renewed love of sci-fi. I even tried out two shows that only lasted a season, "Surface" and "Invasion", both pretty decent, but both ending on a serious cliffhanger. I have also recently gotten into BSG, which I find to be a pretty good show (I would probably be liking it more if I was watching it during a less-stressful time in my life than I am currently in). My question is, what other good sci-fi shows are there out there, waiting for me to get my hands on?

Currently, I'm interested in trying out Warehouse 13, Eureka, Millennium, and maybe Sanctuary. How good are those shows?

And opinions and suggestions about other shows are more than appreciated.

(Doctor Who, however, is not to be discussed here )

Discussion on Movie Sci-Fi is also welcome as well.
    don't make me slap myself silly

go for ALIEN
    maybe ALIENS(the sequel),after
    also THE THING(J.Carpenter)
    and the first(very old) BODYSNATCHERS,I believe it's from 1956,not sure,eh
    Last edited by Darth Red; October 21, 2011 at 03:06 PM. Reason: censor bypass

Watch Farscape! It's brilliant, and has a great cast of colorful characters.
    "Hannibal was like a boxer faced by a heavier opponent; he feinted, weaved and dodged, and kept out of range - but his punch was devastating when he saw the chance."

-Professor John F. Lazenby

Blog Entries

Believe me...I plan on it once I get the chance to

I didnt want to start a new thread, but to the star trek next generation fans, after which season should I start watching, because I watched half of the first episode and I am not really impressed.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by Gattsu View Post
    I didnt want to start a new thread, but to the star trek next generation fans, after which season should I start watching, because I watched half of the first episode and I am not really impressed.
    Season 3 onwards. Season 1 and 2 of TNG are fairly rubbish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    And opinions and suggestions about other shows are more than appreciated.

(Doctor Who, however, is not to be discussed here )
    Why love for most Sci-Fi except Doctor Who?

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

Blog Entries

Cause I have heard more than enough about Doctor Who...

It can be discussed, I just don't want to be told I should watch it when I have been hearing it for years...Lol

Quote Originally Posted by frontier-auxilia View Post
    40k fluff can hardly be count as good sci-fi nowadays.

I gonna just recommend fire fly

The novels however can be excellent.