Page 10 of 40 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast

Thread: Good Sci-Fi?

TheDarkKnight's Avatar Compliance will be rewarded
    Moderator Emeritus Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

Default Re: Good Sci-Fi?

For all those even semi-interested, I just finished watching the second season of "Haven".

Great show. A bit of a slow start but the concept really sucked me in.
    Things I trust more than American conservatives:

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Jagdpanzer's Avatar Praepositus

Quote Originally Posted by Gen. Chris View Post
    For all those even semi-interested, I just finished watching the second season of "Haven".

Great show. A bit of a slow start but the concept really sucked me in.
    I've only watched the first season and I didn't like it. Fringe is a much better tv-series with spooky stuff imo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Red Samurai View Post
    I've only watched the first season and I didn't like it. Fringe is a much better tv-series with spooky stuff imo.
    The first season is a bit slow. The second season gets a lot better.

Give it a shot if you don't believe me

Drinks from Bill Cosby, Flint Michigan tap water, Plane rides from Al Qaeda, Anything on the menu at Chipotle, Medical procedures from Mengele

Mass Effect borrowed a lot from Babylon 5, didnīt it? Giant multicultural station, highly advanced ship for the commander...

Quote Originally Posted by Bernhardt View Post
    Mass Effect borrowed a lot from Babylon 5, didnīt it? Giant multicultural station, highly advanced ship for the commander...
    And Mass Effect 2 feels a fair bit like Farscape.

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.

All good writers borrow.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaidin View Post
    All good writers borrow.
    Who is it they are borrowing from?

Blog Entries

Not to mention Star Trek DS9 also apparently borrowed a lot from B5

How is that borrowing? That is just similarities. There are no direct comparison to the power structure (e.g. humans don't own the citadel, they didn't build it, they aren't even official members in it) or the alien cultures. The Asari do take the spiritual role staple but their society is not like the Minbari, the Turians aren't like Centauri/Narn and Salarians not like the Vorlons. And the Normandy doesn't compare to the Defiant or the megawarships Sheridan got. It's just a very advanced recon/stealth frigate for covert operations.

The DS9 <> Bab5 similarity is far more obvious but even there the shape and nature of the shows differed greatly.

And Mass Effect 2 feels a fair bit like Farscape.
    not really. Again, there are superficial similarities but the whole tone and narration is different. Sadly you _don't_ get chased around the galaxy by Citadel forces who actually class Cerberus as a terror organization with the additional dilemma that you aren't sure if you should kill such forces since their justification is valid so actually providing a morale dilemma. That is how I would feel it should have been.

One shouldn't take similarities too far. In the essence there are only 8 archetypes of stories in existance and similarily alot of concepts are basic dynamics so will happen repeatedly. Just because then two stories are in the same genre doesn't mean there's borrowing or even acknowledgement. The inspiration is there but you can't avoid what you know.

Just because Terry Pratchett has wizard in an university in his discworld novels doesn't mean Harry Potter borrowed from him. The similarity is essentially the same as in your stated comparison.
    "Sebaceans once had a god called Djancaz-Bru. Six worlds prayed to her. They built her temples, conquered planets. And yet one day she rose up and destroyed all six worlds. And when the last warrior was dying, he said, 'We gave you everything, why did you destroy us?' And she looked down upon him and she whispered, 'Because I can.' "
    Mangalore Design

Quote Originally Posted by Mangalore View Post

not really. Again, there are superficial similarities but the whole tone and narration is different. Sadly you _don't_ get chased around the galaxy by Citadel forces who actually class Cerberus as a terror organization with the additional dilemma that you aren't sure if you should kill such forces since their justification is valid so actually providing a morale dilemma. That is how I would feel it should have been.
    I meant that the space station Omega felt like Farscape, while the Citadel seemed like B5. The locations, not necessarily the plotlines.

If you ever find violence doesn't solves anything, you haven't used enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMofo View Post
    Who is it they are borrowing from?
    You're supposed to catch the joke in that while good writers borrow material, great writers steal outright.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Blog Entries

You're supposed to catch the joke in that while good writers borrow material, great writers steal outright.
    Well I guess that makes The 4400 a great show while Heroes was the thief

(I actually enjoyed both, but The 4400 was the superior show)

Ha. I gotcha.

Once again, it is demonstrated that it is best to assume that everybody else on the internet is a rabid monkey who wants to steal your peanuts. Speak softly to them, explain everything, and keep a bat handy.

Blog Entries

Just finished the 3rd season of Warehouse 13...Wow.

B5 influenced the producer's take on DS9, which is definitely different from the other ST series, with the inclusion of money and sustained conflict with an uncompromising enemy, rather one that pops up because the episode's plot demanded it.
    Eats, shoots, and leaves.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMofo View Post
    Ha. I gotcha.

Once again, it is demonstrated that it is best to assume that everybody else on the internet is a rabid monkey who wants to steal your peanuts. Speak softly to them, explain everything, and keep a bat handy.
    Well not that so much as with good writers you see the references and similarities(some subtle some blatant) to other ideas and writings. Great writers, its just that good that you don't see the references and percieve it as completely original.
    Last edited by Gaidin; January 07, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Well not that so much as with good writers you see the references and similarities(some subtle some blatant) to other ideas and writings. Great writers, its just that good that you don't see the references and percieve it as completely original.
    I tend to think of it as some people are popularizers. If it reaches a more general audience, that *author* gets credited with the idea - and I put author in quotes as the same applies for science, music, art, etc.

Might not be as true as it once was, but certainly still valid.

Not to say that's the entire case.

Blog Entries

I'm finishing Battlestar Galactica today. About to start Daybreak

Blog Entries

...Well, Battlestar Galactica was good. Got kind of slow during the third season but I think the fourth made up for it.

As for my watching of B5 and Sanctuary, they are taking a back seat currently, but I have reached season 4 of B5 and Season 3 of Sanctuary.

I have been watching Doctor Who (newer ones) with my girlfriend and they have gotten better. But I'm concerned that I might not like Matt Smith.

Blog Entries

Well, I guess this is sort of a dead thread.

In any case, I'm beginning my first watch of "Taken", a sci-fi miniseries from 2002.