Thread: Which of the Vikings

tugaguy's Avatar Foederatus

Default Which of the Vikings

Hi, this is the first time that i am playing this mod.

It looks wonderful... It loads fast...

I played the MW: Barbarian Invasion with the Northumbria, i also played a mod for RTW there I played with Wessex, now I wanted to try with a Viking faction

Which of them should I choose??

dom385's Avatar Senator

Default Re: Which of the Vikings

All the unit rosters for the norse factions are pretty much the same but as denmark you start with armies in britain and its a bit easier. Where as with the norwegian factions you don't have any armies in britain and spend the early game fighting the other factions in norway, your economy's a bit crap as well so that makes it more difficult.

♔Icebear77♔'s Avatar Biarchus

Started as a test a campaign with Hordaland located in Norway. I made 4 starts with difficulty M/M.

You got enough money to turn you income into a positive one after a few turn (~10 turns). Its a very nice ballace between upkeep-costs for your untis and the benefit, if you spend your money into your economy. Very well done Sometimes you have to wait to build a new eco-building because you dont have enough money. But hey, Rome wasnt build in a day too...

Important for this faction is to have a trade-agreement with denmark (and they always agree an alliance too). But be careful, the norway enemy (this dirty ol'bastard ) starts also an "agent-war"... i was surprised but he did that very well

For me it was easier to conquer the southern-norway first. Its nice, that the enemy hasnt the opportunity to walk into your terretories with full-stack-armies, while you dont have enought money to buy one. Therefore, you got a half-stack-army and with these buddies, you can defeat the enemy.

Rebell-armies looks very hard to beat on the first look, but if you attack them, they are (for my taste) a little bit to weak. These sami-warriors are to weak and to expensive (i release them all while my first turn and replace them with another light-inf-unit.). Maybe they got a secret which i havent found yet...

Summa-Summarum:
    Fun to play with Hordaland: ++++

Start-Economy: +++ (the settlements are already to big)
    Building-costs: ++++
    Developing your Economy: +++ (without help very hard to find a nice way)

Starting armies: ++++ (very nice done, because you havent to release tons of units because of your eco-debt)
    Units diversity: +++++ <3
    Units costs: ++++
    Units upkeep-coast: +++ (some are to expensive in relation to another equal units (for.ex. the sami-warriors)

Challenge: depens on your goal

RESULT: I LOVE IT
    Last edited by ♔Icebear77♔; October 10, 2011 at 01:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tugaguy View Post
    Hi, this is the first time that i am playing this mod.

It looks wonderful...

Which of them should I choose??
    Yup, great game. You'll have a great time with any of them.

my2bob
    PSYCHO V

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for THEE!" - (John Donne, Meditation 17)

I think one of the two Norwegian jarldoms can build some awesome longbowmen and archers are OP in this mod. So choose that one. Denmark still crushes with its elite infantry however.

Hordaland and Vestfold are quite similar in every aspect.
    The main difference is that Hordaland can field an elite armor piercing heavy infantry unit(they really kick ass),while Vestfold fields the Hladir bowmen who are really the best bowmen in game.Same mis.attack as longbowmen,slightly shorter range than the longbows but still longer than any other mis. unit and great defence rating.(you can actually use them as light infantry when your ammo is over-if you can spare them.)
    It depends on your playing style.
    I prefer Vestfold because the Hladir bowmen offer a good solution against enemy archers,since no viking faction has cavalry units until late game.
    Note though, that because of lower advancement of the viking factions you will only be able to recruit those elite units after quite a long time,so your main fighting force will be the vikingr for many turns.
    Denmark fields excellent heavy infantry but you will have to face the E.Frankish Empire and the Magyars eventually, whereas Hordaland and Vestfold have a quite safer position of their native settlements.
    Hope I helped...
    We happy few, we band of Brothers