Thread: New units for Poland project (and problems)

Default New units for Poland project (and problems)

Hello everyone!

I decided to move my new units for poland project to DLV. I really enjoy DLV with BB playing with poland. I want to complete polish roster with new units. I already have few created and more in mind. Its easier for me to work with some existing mod as its easier to see what still needs to be done.

However I have really big problem: I cannot add any new unit entries to EDU. Im using BB 3.23. When I try to add any entries game crash immediately when starting. Please help, once I clear this obstacle I will show ingame screenshots of my units.

About:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Finished units:

Możni Piastów (Piast Nobles) - a first unit mimicking western feudal warriors they will be heavy cavalry clad in heavy mail, armed with large shields (maybe norman ones), light lances and wide verity of AP weapons (axes, maces etc.) with some swords thrown here and there. Dismounted version will be heavy infantry.

Pancerni (The Armored) - similar to druhzina, a medium cavalry with shield, spear and axe for melee. Im thinking about making additional dismounted versions of Pancerni Spearmen and Axemen, just to have every corner covered.

Tarczowicy - an early semi professional spearmen, with bit bigger shield and spears, little armor though. They are meant to replace Spear Milita.

Planned:

Łucznicy Grodowi (Gord Archers) - similar to Tarczownik, armed with bow and small axe.

Peasants - recruited in process of Mass Movement (Pospolite Ruszenie) no equipment to speak of, armed with whatever they have or can loot.

Kmiec Cavalry - a light cavalry, equipped as in an communal effort of villagers. Armed with short spear, small axe and maybe small round shield (dunno about that). They are meant to be equivalent of Militia cavalry, with Poland dosent even have in vanilla (WTF?!)

Kmiece - same as above, but infantry version, will be light axemen.

Mazovian Cavalry
    - a regional unit with equipment similar to lithuanian units

That would be it for early ages, in mid ones I want to add:

Pocztowi (Retainers)
    - will be mid ages medium cavalry and infantry (in dismounted version), weapons will be similar to Pancerni - light lance and axes).

Jazda Miejska (Town Cavalry) - will replace Kmiec Cavalry in position of residential militia cavalry. Will start out with padded armor, spear and some shield, dunno about melee weapon.

Last edited by Taro_M; September 26, 2011 at 12:35 AM.

Default Re: New units for Poland project (and problems)

Ok, I still cant add any new unit to EDU, but I replaced existing units models with mine in order to test them. Right now I have working models for Tarczownicy and Pancerni (in 3 versions).

I retouched Tarczownicy in order to fix problem with their hair, now that its fixed I could allow them to go around without any head-wear.

Tarczownicy are intended to replace polish Town Militia in early age

With Upgrade

Pancerni now have 3 versions: cavalry, spearmen and axemen. Not all have to be used, but I could easily make alternative versions so why not, at least they are there in case someone will need them.

Pancerni are intended to be polish version of: Mailed Knights, Armored Sergeants and Huscalrs/Sergeants Swordsmen, but with a bit worse armor.

Standard cavalry version

Spearmen version

Axemen version

Now I will move on to Piast Nobles, I have more work with them, mainly textures.

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

WOW, was not expecting this. Brilliant to see you working here mate.
    The units look fantastic +rep and the reason you cannot add units is because DLV has maxed out the EDU unit limit, 500 units.
    You could replace/remove the renaissance units, it seems people want them gone for better units to fit in with the medieval period.

I finished retouching Piast Nobles. There was quite a bit of work with those. There has been some complaining about their armor variants and that shields lacked metal frames. I took care of both issues, but making those frames was stupidly time consuming, I had over 30 shields to edit, one by one .

Piast Nobles are intended to replace Polish Nobles in early age.

EDIT: I cant replace any entry, MTW2 keeps crashing even then. I cant change any unit name and dictionary.

BTW: Are you still working on sound mod? I have couple of really good themes.
    Last edited by Taro_M; September 26, 2011 at 04:15 AM.

kaiser1993's Avatar Senator

If you wan't to remove a unit you will have to remove all its entries in various .txt files, I don't know all of them. Which is why when I edit units and stuff I replace the model entry like you, but this is of course not good enough when releasing a mod.

And I am still working on my sound mod and would love to hear the themes you speak of.

I love your idea and models, thus i enyoing a Poland campain too.
    Keep the good work going.
    rep+

I finsihed tweaking Piast Nobles, added few blunt weapons and new helmets. Also I made dismounted version.

Man, I love units with lots of mail.

Now I will make Gord Archers. Not much for those, just Tarczownicy with different equipment.
    Last edited by Taro_M; September 26, 2011 at 08:09 AM.

This is really good stuff! +rep
    I look forward to using these units!

Oooh pictures! Faber est quisque fortunae suae

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

I have to say I really like the current stuff but this is some nice work too

I think there are other factions that could really do with some work, like Denmark, Flanders, Scotland, etc.

But whatever you decide to do it's great to see someone making some effort and I'm sure people will enjoy the results
    Last edited by Taiji; September 27, 2011 at 10:34 AM.

Thanks, but Im working best when I focus on one faction I really like. Also I dont plan to replace any existing units, its more of replacing vanilla units like peasant archers or town milita. In other words its expanding polish roster and making it more unique.

Once Im done I will upload the files and leave this to you, so you can use it in BB if you like.

I finished making first model for Gord Archers. As I said before there isnt much to look at as its just Tarczownicy with different equipment, but I still tried to put in some small details.

/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/|\/

One problem with replacing vanilla units like those is that they are shared by other factions, so it requires removing a unit or else making textures for the other factions. But anyway, they look great and really the most important thing in modding is that you enjoy it.

Im replacing them because I HAVE to. I cant test models otherwise.

Any new progress?

Not to be a bad guy, but I don't believe taro will return to TWC in some time after what happened to his TATW sub-mod...
    DCI: Last Alliance: Unit maker. Proud member of The Imperial House of Hader

Renesans's Avatar Civis

You better be reworked whole range of units in the DLW removed all limits on new units, but did not add new units and removed the other units in other countries. As an example - in recent versions of BB added two new units, but was removed two units from Byzantium - as a result of a fraction of a poor line units.Look to other modes - for their excellent and diverse range of units for each country.
    In Poland, and so not a bad range of units and if you want to add units that better take a look at Armenia, Scotland, Sicily kingdom, the Kingdom of Jerusalem, Kievan Rus, Novgorod Republic - these countries are poor and miserable in the units. And if you plan to add new units then add them to replace units of the Aztecs
    Smoke on the water and fire in the sky....
    Deep Purple, Machine Head, (1972)