Thread: The Younger Baratheon

Prophet1331's Avatar Ducenarius

Default The Younger Baratheon

Made using the Enhanced 0.53 mod. My first AAR sorry if it is too long , I kind of got carried away with the story telling. And as for screanshots I will see if I can add a few, I'm not that good with screenshots.

{~~The Younger Baratheon~~}

Chapter 1:
    The Camp was full of men, all eager to spill blood and gain wealth under the leadership of their king. Renly stopped and took a long sullen look at the great castle of Storm's End. On the morrow he will lead his army through the Kingswood up to the Blackwater to gain his throne. He will have to face his own kin on the field, perhaps even slay them all for the prospect of gaining a throne, but it does not matter, the kingdom bleeds, it needs him, his brother is not made to rule, just like his older one that he lost to a boar. As for his nephew, well it may be not that hard to slay him, Stannis' letter telling of incest made the boy king nothing more than a Lannister boy instead of a Baratheon of kin. Stannis has his claim on the throne. but few will follow him. He continued his walk towards his own tent where he will have one last council before leaving.

Inside he found his bastard born nephew, Edric Storm, Ser Cortnay Penrose who will be keeping the castle safe, and a dozen of his best Captains. The Rainbow Guard were outside the tend keeping guard. Renly sat upon his chair on the head of the table. First to talk was one of his captains, Captain Galladon.
    "My king, the last stragglers have joined up from the castle, we're ready to move on the Crownlands."
    "My king" said Cortnay, "shouldn't you wait for the rest of the Stormlords? We had ravens from Stonehelm, Lord Swann has begun marshalling his forces, and a letter from Griffin's Roost tells of soldiers nearing the end of their training, it might be wise to await more troops."
    "Beg your pardon my king, but King's Landing is lightly held, the leader of the gold cloaks himself left with a host to join the Lannisters against Highgarden south of Stoney Sept, and they say ironborn are raiding the westerlands, we may not get such a chance any time soon." Captain Steffon was a young man, eager for battle and a chance to prove himself, but still for all his rashness he made a good point. Blood will fill the Seven Kingdoms before the next moon.
    "Still my king, you will not have any other allies around you, the Reach has no other army to spare for an attack on King's Landing. I will train more troops here at Storm's End and send them to reinforce as soon as they're ready, but there's no use in reinforcing the dead."
    "My king perhaps there is another thing you may consider." Captain Pearse was Steffon's older brother, but for all his brother's rashness, he was calm and patient, and as good a council as he could wish in the field. "Lord Wylde has begun building a fleet, mayhaps if we wait for more troops and for the ships to be ready, we could sail past the Blackwater and land south of Rosby and take King's Landing both by surprise and with more men"
    "Unlikely brother, by that time there will be more spears and swords in the city then beggars in Flea Bottom, and who's to say they won't have ships as well..."
    "Not to mention mine own brother with his fleet". Renly had to add. " It will be too risky to do that."
    "Then what will you do uncle?"
    "I shall have the city now with fever blood spilled than wait for a masacre later"

Chapter 2

Not a day had passed since they entered the Kingswood than the outrider came back with news. The young stag called his captains for council in his tent.
    "So... the boy king leaves the city for the field, such folly, mayhaps he heard our comming and ran for his red uncle's rock for safety, or maybe he found a gut and rushes for battle. Well what is your command my king? Should we hunt the little monster or will we take his little pointy chair and leave him for the wolves,fish and flowers?"
    Renly gave the prospect a thought, but he decided than killing children was not a job for the future king of the Seven Kingdoms he was not his brother, and besides this will not save more lives, with Joffery's death, his brother will take the throne and fortify the city.
    "This changes nothing my captains, taking the city is what we must do, without it the Lannisters will be that much weaker, and or friends of the rose will find it easier in dealing with them, while I will work to bring peace back to the kingdom. We move on."

{~~Meanwhile at Storm's End~~}
    "Ser, we had a raven from Evenfall Hall, Stannis' sent an army to the island and laid siege. The defenders request help from the king, they lack trained men, they cannot hope to hold the keep."
    "Stannis? Here? All of our best men went with King Renly to King's Landing, even if we did had the men we have no able fleet to sent. This is grave news."
    "Shall I send word to the king, ser?"
    "By now the army will be deep in the woods. Return to your ravens Maester, I shall send for you later."
    "Ser there is another matter..."
    "More bad news?"
    "No ser, the dornish... they wish to talk with the King... they speak of the possibility of an alliance..."

Chapter 3

The enemy was on the move, Lord Tarth gave one last look at his warriors, all brave, all ready to die, but all doomed, the enemy had swords and armor, experience and numbers.
    Stannis must have not found many men willing to join his claim so that he turned to these foul sellswords. A crawing for power will make a man surround himself with even the foulest of companies. "Men be brave, be brave for our king, we will defeat these sellswords even with their new god, may the Warrior give us strength!"
    The enemy was soon at the walls with ladders and towers, but the gate had a relief, the first ram went ablaze before it could bring down the gate. But that luck soon changed as the men waiting at the gates charged the men on the walls and overwhelmed them. Spears are a poor challenge to swords and shields and armor.. The west wall managed to push down the enemy, hope was awakened, but soon lost as the second ram busted the gate, and knights with the flaming heart poured in and overwhelmed the men, and swordsmen were climbing down the east wall. Father have mercy on the men that died there. But soon he saw the enemy general, Adrian Celtigar entering the gates This is my chance if I slay him these sellswords will falter Selwyn Tarth led a charge of his bodyguard backed by hedge knights onward towards the enemy cavalary. Many died on both sides, but the enemy general was still out of reach so he gave another charge. But before he could try another one he saw his men starting to retreat.No! It's too soon, but still we have another chance maybe if we block them in the streets we may defeat them But as he tried to retreat he found himself surrounded by enemy spearmen, and soon he felt his horse fall under him and the ground rise and a sharp pain in his belly. Seven save us

{~~At Storm's End~~}
    "Ser a raven came, from Evenfall, it fell to Stannis' men"
    "It was expected, but still what a cruel jape, when we finally got new men and new ships, one more week and we could have saved the castle."
    "What are we to do?"asked the maester.
    "Send word to the fleet at Rainwood, bring them to protect Storm's End, we need to protect the newly born prince." Balon Baratheon, I hope that his father lives long enough to see him, it would be to cruel for the gods to kill him now when he has an heir and Dorne behind him.

{~~Renly~~}

The throne room was empty by the time he entered surrounded by his own Rainbow Guard. His captains informed him that the queen regent has escaped along with the rest of the council and the younger brother, Tommen which now is the self-claimed king. But not the king in King's Landing anymore...
    The king sat his new throne, and pondered his victory, the city had few defenders, most probably fled when they heard of their king's death. Renly remebered the battle. They were about to cross the river when they saw an enemy host from the east. The boy king was retreating to defend his throne when he met them. He tried a retreat but he caught him. He pushed his militia in front to form a barrier to protect his own bodyguard and golden cloaks, but he was outnumbered. They had only one group of golden cloaks and several of militias, while we had swordsmen, knights and longswordsmen. It was a massacre. By the time the enemy host reached our lines we already gutted half their men with crossbows, they were routing as soon as they received the first blows. Then I saw knights running, and I gave chase with mine own hopping to capture my nephew. We chased them for miles but when we caught them he was not there. When we returned to the camp a gift was set before my tent, the head of my nephew on a spear, courtesy of my captain Steffon who claimed his finest man caught him as he was trying to run. The boy begged and soiled himself as he begged but the Captains had put an end to his life quickly, he was dangerous to be alive. I gave the men honors and a feast for that. Did I do the right thing?... Am I a butcher? A killer of children? Is this how my reign will begin?
    "Your Grace? We found a maester as you requested."
    "How may I serve your grace?"
    "Write a letter to Storm's End, tell them I secured the throne, ask them of my wife and my kingdom..."

Chapter 4
    The young queen arrived in the city the day before, in the cheers of the smallfolk, surrounded by Tyrell and Baratheon knigths, and greeted at the Red Keep by the new Kinguard, Renly remade the Kingsguard into a force to guard the queen and his family, while his Rainbow Guard will protect him. The sight of his son made Renly even more determined in his quest to be a great ruler. One that will save the Seven kingdoms. But as he held court, the quest was not as easy as it sounded.
    „The West is bleeding my king” Declared his new Grand Maester „ The Ironborn have taken to raiding once again, the Old Way they call it. And Balon has styled himself lord of the Isles again. They even took Flint’s Fingers, and the Banefort and raid everything in between.”
    „It does not matter for now, we cannot reach the Sunset sea, we have enough problems with the resisting Lannister loyalists in the Crownlands and Stannis still has Dragonstone” declared Captain Pearse. Tommen established court at Duskendale, and still held most of the Crownlands.
    „If we’re lucky they’d fight each other. The second boy king already laid seige to Driftmark, and they say another army took to the sea on what's left of the King's Fleet” responded Steffon.
    „Stannis is losing, I already sent word to Storm’s End to send an army to retake Evenfall. My own nephew will be leading the attack. Edric is as eager as his father was.” As for Dragonstone, if the Lannister Loyalists take it then I won’t have to face my brother on the field, I already murdered a child, I will not murder a brother.
    „As for the loyalist, until we receive more support from the rest of the Stormlords, we will not leave King’s Landing. A small force however will be needed to keep the surrounding lands free, it seems as the Hound is pillaging the land. That is all for today my friends.” It is time I returned to my wife and son.

Chapter 5

The day was bright, beutiful even, but battle will be fought all the same. Edric led his swords to attack with ram and ladders, but no men were spotted on the walls, not even an arrow shot at them. The gates were barred but after the ram broke them and soldiers poured in the lower city was clear of any soldiers. The Invading army had fled the Isle it seemed, so Edric led his knights up the road to the keep. There he found him, in before the keep's door, Alester the Heir in front of his Bodyguard. He rushed his forces against him. Horses clahed and shields splinder as knight pitched against knight.

It was soon over, with all of the fiery knights slewn even the heir of Dragonstone. As Edric made his way into the castle however, there was no member of House Tarth to be seen. They found a terrified maid in a cell.
    „Poor little thing she must have been raped” Pointed one of the knights . "Take her outside to Ser Edric„
    In the center of the yard Edric awaited news. Of the rest of the Tarth House. When he saw the girl he asked nevously where are the rest of the Tarth household.
    She only starred at them scarred, and after a moment pointed to the small black patch on the ground where only smudge and burned wood remained.

{~~King’s Landing~~}
    „My king a raven came from Stoney Sept” said the maester as he produced the parchment „it’s from Randyl Tarly, he took the town for Highgarden, and he says that outriders had spotted Tommen’s Stag and Lion near the Blackwater, it’s rumored that the boy king makes for the Westerlands with his leader of the gold cloaks”
    So he flees the Crownlands, mayhaps this is the chance, if whe can capture him, then the Crownlands will submit and no more blood will need be spilled
    „Anything else Maester?”
    „There is another letter, from Tarth your Grace, it is quite disturbing...” The Maester began reading the letter.

The news was dire, all of house Tarth, with the exception of Brienne was murdered at Evenfall.
    Renly could not believe it, still his councilors had it right, there was need of someone to take lordship of the Isle else chaos will ensure. But who should it be? He had no lord that needed landing, in the Stormlands, and even though his captains have proven themselves worthy they were either too lowborn, or could not be spared to travel all the way to Tarth now. Then he had his idea. He was the king.
    „Maester prepare some parchment, I need to legitimize a bastard, and land him with a castle.”
    „If I am not to curios, who is he my king?”
    „Edric Storm”

Chapter 6
    Kyra Baratheon, Renly could not believe it, he now had a daughter and a son, he was as happy as he ever was. The city and the king enjoyed a peace for several weeks, with only the occasional pesant complaining of the Hound pillaging his lands, but captain Steffon has taken a small host of knights together with captain Wendell to hunt him. Lord Edric was now on his way up from Storm’s End with a host of new recruits to aid in the capture of Tommen and to help secure the Crownlands. He was still young, only 15 years but he was given the title of Lord of Evenfall Hall, but his lordship will have to wait, war was still raging. He left his castellan Terrence, an old man of 55 to care for the island while he led a small host for his uncle and king. The boy had a talent for war, and was as eager as his father to make a name for himself.
    Renly was in his solar when the maester came running in with a letter in hand. His face was as white as a kinsguard cloak.
    „Your grace ... a raven... from Winterfell... they broke fealthy with the throne... they declared Bran king in the north.”
    „What? Bran? But wasn’t the older brother called Robb? Why did they break fealthy?”
    „It is in the letter your grace, there were battles at Flint’s Fingers, they killed the Lord Robb, the ironmen... the Stark boy claimed that the Iron Throne has forsaken them, that the North will not bow to false kings anymore.”
    Renly sat down, stricken I was supposed to heal the realm, to bring back the king’s peace, instead the realm is bleeding like never before. 3 kings fight for the Iron Throne, the Ironborn rebel once again and pillage the coast, and now... the north breaks away, for all my victories... the realm is dying. No ...I am the King it needs, I will save the realm...
    „Maester bring me parchments and ready the ravens... and call for my captains, it is time that I move and take action... it is time I save the kingdom."

Chapter 7
    "What Crown will you wear today my king?" asked Margaery with her sly smile that Renly has grown to love. This last year was has been a troubling one, battle was fought across the Crownlands, Renly himself led the chase against Tommen and Janos Slynt all the way to Stoney Sept, and back east on the other side of the Blackwater. He was almost captured when the Boy King and his Commander surounded him, but captain Wendell arrived in the last moment and they captured Janos Slynt. Yet even as the boy king ran , victory was still far away, only a moon’s turn did Lord Harwood Fell manage to capture Rosby. The city was defiant for 3 weeks, and surpisingly on the eve of dawn at the beginin of the fourth, the gates opened. Lord Harwood found out that the city was held by the queen regent and King Tommen, but after 3 weeks, defeat was certain and the queen murdered both herself and her children, and the captain decided the war was lost and surrenderd the city. 5 days ago, Renly was presented with the Crown of Westeros taken off the dead boy’s head.Yet he could not bare to wear it. The boy died by my hand, but he was born of incest, he was not kin, neither him ,nor his brother. "I will wear mine own crown the realm must see that a new age is beginning."

His council was waiting for him with news as always.
    "My king, word comes from the north, seems as the wolf king kicked the squids out of the north."Steffon said in his usual tongue.
    "That may be so brother but that does not mean they are defeated, the ironmen have taken the Crag, and we hear that Seagard is under siege. They seem to claim this land as The Iron Coast, and mean to claim it for their sea god."
    "Let Lord Tywin tackle with him now, my captains, our priority is to secure the Crownlands. My nephew has joined forces with lord Fell and captain Matthias and aim to return the rebel lords here back into my peace . And Lester Marrigen took Stonedance by now, I aim to give him lordship for his victory, as he didn’t lose any men in the siege."
    "Your Grace, a letter from lord Swann, he is at Highgarden with his host, and will join the Reach in battle for the Westerlands. And Garllan Tyrell took Crakehall." Good, if we keep the pressure we may yet reforge the kingdom before winter, Many will die, but they will not die in vain.
    "That is all my captains, Grand Maester a moment". As everyone else left, he felt it was safe to ask the question. "Has there been word of lord Connington?" Renly did no like to hide matters from his captains, no more than claiming that his best men were off hunting the Hound, when they were off to other matters.
    "Yes your grace, they sent a raven, they arrived within sight of the shore, no one spotted them, and they saw that all the garrison has left, by now they would have started the battle."
    "Good" May the warrior give them strenght.

Chapter 8
    "Great work men, you should be proud, who else can claim to have build siege towers and rams in less that 2 days from ships. But true glory awaits us there, beyond those walls." Dragonstone was easy picking, Stannis made the mistake to send his men off the island for some other folly and kept only his own knights about him. He did not sight the fleet until it landed. Admiral Guyard surrendered the fleet after the second week of the siege of Rosby and pledge it to King Renly. They carried swiftly and silently Renly’s best men, and Ronnet Connington. The men quickly turned several ships into 2 siege towers and 2 rams . They marched to take the citadel as soon as possible before Stannis could recall his swords back to the island. It is raining. The rain would help the red priestess’ fires as less as her god will once we break in. The men made short work of the outer wall, and were quicly moving towards the inner gate. Stannis however will not run, the met them just in front of the gate. Lord Connington led his knights into a frontal attack.
    The Storm was catching up, as to keep pace with the battle. Connington manage to cut down 3 knights, when the second wave of hedge knights under Renly reinforced him and bashed Stannis to his own wall.The older Baratheon king fought valliantly slicing knight after knight. But for all his strenght Stannis was cut beneath the gate of the keep where he has crowned himself king of seven kingdoms. Seeing their pretender king dead, the red knights or R’hllor dropped their swords and surrendered. Connington won a castle and defeated the King of Dragonstone. He has redeemed his house in the eyes of the king. A king of the same name as the one who brought shame on his house. Now the dirty work will begin. The punishment to each servant of the flame god, the revenge for Evenfall Hall...

With the death of his older brother, Renly was now the only contender for the Iron Throne. In the following weeks his generals helped reunite the Crownlands . He now was the only king of Westeros. But now he had to bring back the North, The Isles, and to pacify the Westerlands. And now to make matters worse the Riverlords went to war with Highgarden over Stoney Sept, and Brigands and mercenaries were romming and burning the Crownlands. There is no rest for the king... at least he had another daughter,Tyana Baratheon.

{~~Weeks later deep into the west~~}
    The storm is picking up, autumn is come most likely, still it makes no matter, no wind, no rain, no thunder and lighting will ever stop a stormlander from his duty
    „Men before you sits Lannisport, the hearth of the Lannisters, our friends from the Reach are already charging the west gate, it is time we join in the east. The first one to the center square in the city gets all the hores he can take... TO BATTLE AND GLORY STORMLANDERS!!!”
    Lord Swann’s first wave began it’s advance, two siege towers, two battering ramms and two ladders was all they could build before the roses started their assault. Let’s hope it will be enough.

The first tower caught fire just as the fist bolts hit it, the first ram had more luck, it reached half the way before it light up. But the men would not relent, they reached the walls with the ladders and the remaining tower, and soon they were hammering the gates too. Most of the city defenders were fighting the Tyrells on the other side, so only militia and spearmen meet them on the walls. As soon as the gate broke, the spearmen poured in, an were meet by the Kingslayer and his companions.

Horses against spears, it will be child’s play. Lord Swann sent his Hedge knights in support through the gate. Jaime held his own and even surrounded by spearmen was able to hold the gate for a long time, but soon he was outnumbered and pulled down his horse and stabbed, not without taking several men with him. Then Lord Swann took the knights under his own direct command through the gate and made a run for the city’s center cuting down the retreating militia. He sent the remaining hedge knights to help the Reach break the defending Lannisters in the west, but there was no need. Victory was won and the Lannisters lost their greatest asset, and Lannisport.

Chapter 10

Renly met with his war council, formed by his best commanders in King’s Landing. He had secured his crown, and sat undisputen on the Iron Throne. Still that not meant peace, the realm was in full war.
    "What news form the Westerlands Grand Maester?"

"Your Grace, Lord Swann writes of intense fighting around Casterly Rock, he leads the seige of the fortress himself, but the Tyrells are in the area battling Lannister recruits, Lannister retreating forces, and even Ironborn raiders, it seems the whole land is a battlefield. However he expects a great victory for the garrison is weak, not a match for stormlanders as he put it."
    "That is good news" A true warrior this lord, I only hope his rashness does not cloud his judgement "Anything else important?"
    "Your Grace, Whalen Blanetree, is pleading for you to take action in the Riverlord issue."
    "The Riverlord issue?" Ronnet was new to the council, but he won his place at the council when he led his men and saved Stonedance from the self proclaimed Luceon King of Dragonstone, the sellsword commander of Stannis’ army.
    "The riverlords have claim to Stoney Sept, and since it belonged to the Reach now, they took up arms against them. They have yet to take to the field though... The Tyrells have sent their diplomat to win the King’s forces and make us assault the Riverlands." Said Pearse, who now was the new leader of the city guard.
    "I will not march on the Riverlands now, perhaps if given enough time the riverlords will back down, after all, they yet to march on our allies, and with ironmen about , I doubt they will. And Tywin Lannister still holds Harrenhall with a large force, he would move against the Crownlands as soon as we mobilize for the Riverlords, we only have enough troops to hold , not to assault."
    "Your Grace, if I may ask, where are the rest of your armies? Lord Edric and Lord Connigton both had many men under their command."
    "It is good you ask Steffon, I have sent them on a raid, they were reinforced with recruits from the Stormlands, and given them the fleets of Admiral Guyard and the new stormlander Admiral Willem from Tarth. They have been commanded to strike the North. If we’re in luck they have passed the Fingers by now, and soon be upon our enemies." Renly then rose and left, leaving the council members in shock. Was I rash to act of such? Still it is best I strike now than in winter, and if the men succeed, then thousands of my people’s lives would be saved....

Chapter 11

The night sky was clear, filled with stars, a beautiful night, but the clouds of smoke were rising. The castle of Widow’s Watch was in chaos, with fires burning everywhere, and dead men lying everywhere. Richard Toyne had lost only 10 men compared to the 200 northmen that were killed. They entered the castle almost without being noticed. Most of these northmen were sleeping, the rest were eating or hoaring most like, they didn’t even man their posts. Greenboys
    "Burn everything that’s not of use men, I want these fires to be seen even from the other side of The Wall, anyone who fights back, kill and put them in those carts there, I mean to hang their bodies on the road to the west." If I’m lucky that will serve the purpose, King Renly was clear, "Do as much noise and chaos as you can, then brace yourself in the castle and wait. If the young boy has any northman blood in him, he’ll come over to fight or risk losing loyalty, either way the win is ours". Queer to hear such words from such a gentle king, but still, I have my commands, I am to keep this castle for as long as possible..
    "Ser, some men have escaped and are making a run for it towards the North."
    So it begins... "Let them go... With some luck, they'll run for their king.

The seas were stormy, but not as ruff as in autumn, the fleet sailed swiftly towards it’s goal. And now it dropped ancor off the woods of the Karstark lands. Lord Edric came to meet with the admiral in his cabin. He was by now one of his uncles most prized bannermen, he had his castle and lands, and men, but most of all he had experience, he fought many battles for his king, securing Tarth, fighting the rebels in the Crownlands, and now... pacifing the north. The cabin was dark but for a few candles, and Admiral Wendell was on the other side of a table sipping some wine. We seem to have no lack of wine since we have friends both in Dorne and the Arbor
    "Lord Edric, the scouting ship we sent with outriders came back, it seems there is a small army close to the Dreadfort, but the castle itself is lightly held, and so is Karhold, though there is no army around it for miles, but either way we will have to set sail and pass to land the troops. What are your commands?"
    "My uncle, the King, commanded me to secure a powerful castle in the upper north. Karhold and the Dreadfort are the only ones worthy, once I secure one and send a raven to King’s Landing he’ll send more reinforcements."But still my uncle was clear, "Take a fort send for reinforcements, and then dash as quick as possible to Winterfell, with the northmen occupied with Widow’s Watch the seat of power of the north will be vulnerable. We could then use it as bargaining for them to renounce their claims, and plant the seed of doubt in the northmen’s hearts, We could win peace in the north without having to fight our way from the Neck to The Wall, and lose tens of thousands" The Dreadfort will be a quicker way, but it could prove a disaster if I am defeated. But if I take Karhold, I’d have a back where to run if I’d encounter problems, and a place for reinforcements to arrive. But I’d still have The Dreadfort to conted with...
    "So what will it be my lord?
    "Set sail for... Karhold, Admiral"

Chapter 12

It was the middle of the day, the sun was up and not a cloud was in sight. Such a beutifull day, and yet now the Lannisters attack, they must have run our of food. No sooner had Lord Swann formed up his men , than he heard the call of his outriders, Lannisters at the back of the host. However it was a force not worthy of even pity, they were a small force of 30 men under captain Othell, refugees from the fighting in the surrounding lands.

Lord Swann let some knights handle them as he led the rest of his mounted warriors against the Lannister longbows.

It was a massacre, by the time the heavy infantry arrived the archers were slaughtered and Swann was back at his own infantry mobilizing them. The Lannisters however were encircled. Apart from Lord Swann, Randyl Tarly, led his own army, and was supported by Horas Redwyne and another force of Tyrells under a certain Capatin Jon. They were destroying Emmon Frey’s reinforcements west of the castle. The garison was streched, half was fighting the Tyrell, while half was guarding the east gate. The Tyrell's overwhelmed the weakened Lannisters and the stormlanders had no problem in securing and busting the gate.

After the gate fell, Lord Swann tasked his hedge knights to open the rest of the gates for the Reach and capture any retreating westerlanders.

Just as the Tyrell and Stormlander men were storming into the city on all sides, and Lord Swann placed ladders on the inner wall, victory was certain.

Starring defeat, the remaining Lannister men surendered the seat of House Lannister to Lord Swann and his stormlanders.

Chapter 13
    Things were not going as well as Renly had planed. The raid on the North worked, Richard Toyne did all he could to draw the north to battle, but no army moved to counter them at Widow’s Watch, instead no less then 5 armies were sighted by outriders around the Dreadfort, including Roose Bolton’s, Ramsay’s, and even Rodrik Cassel’s. Edric managed to secure Karhold , but was unable to match any of the northmen armies in open field without leaving Karhold undefended. Seems though that this was not entirely a loss. A certain Alys Cassel, came as a diplomat of the North to King’s Landing. However he had yet to request an audience... Still Renly could not wait, he needed to push on, to reforge his Kingdom.
    "My king, there are reports of Tyrells, pillaging in the last south of Pinkmaiden. But the riverlords do not respond, they are in fierce battle with Tywin at Harrenhall."
    This is unfortunate, while the Riverlords battle what remains of the Lannisters at Harrenhall, it relieves our armies to fight the rest of the war, but this Tyrell provocation... it may lead to more battle. "For now we will not move againts the Riverlords, we have more pressing matters than declaring war on the Tullys."
    "I require your council on my next plan, I have named Lord Swann as the Master of Ships, and ordered him to raise what host he can at Casterly Rock, and move for either Fair Castle or Kayce. Casterly Rock has a camp of Warrior’s Sons, thanks to the false boy king who brought back this cult. But they may prove usefull, as they hate the ironmen who worship their water god. We can use that to secure a foothold to assault the Islands."
    "Your grace, we already mobilized the host for a campaign up north, another front in the west. Where are we to get the troops or ships? And what of the remaining Lannisters in the Westerlands?"
    "Captain Aemon is heading for the Isles as we speak, his only task was to deliver troops at Widow’s Watch. And Lord Connigton is resupplying with men form the stormlands, as his own army was sent north. He will move against Pike but not for a few months. As for the Westerlands,... well the Tyrells already besiege Silver Hill, and the rest are too weak to strike back. I’ve sent a letter to Lord Tyrell and told him that one of his sons will be the new Warden of the west, and all of the Westerlands apart from Casterly Rock would pass to him. that would both motivate his troops and reward him for all his support "Any other questions?"
    "Your Grace knows best, but we shouldn't bite more than we could chew, it will be hard to maintain one campaign far from the capital, but two could be very dangerous."
    "I expect that the campaign in the North will be over by the time the battle for the Isles will begin."We need to strike hard and fast, while they still are unknowing of our plans.

Chapter 14

The army came ashore in the northern end of Widow’s Watch lands, with nothing for miles around them. Meryn planned this landing from the day he left Dragonstone. His command was to bring reinforcements to the northern campaign, and help keep the captured castles from rebeling. But he was no castellan like his older uncle at Storm’s End. He was young, a good commander, and above all, eager and ambitious. The king gave him the command of a small group of levies. But Meryn had also brought up a few sellswords while at Dragonstone. And had his own plan on how to help with the campaign North, a way in which his talents would be put to use. He managed to convince admiral Willem that the plan was devised by the king. It’s not like he’ll speak with the king any time soon, and by the time His Grace hears that I’m not at Karhold, I will have a victory to prove my might. He had his plan all thought up, he’d move towards West, and send outriders towards both Winterfell and White Harbor and choose the least defenceless as his target, that will bring him enough glory and renown for the king to send him reinforcements and give him a place of honor among the other generals. This is my time, my moment for glory "Captain ready the men, we move inland, it is time we prove ourselves..."

The sky was grey as the stark direwolf, with thunder ringing in the distance and rain pouring down. Not the warm rain of the Stormlands, but the cold wet rain of autumn in the north. Edric made good use of the northlands. He made plenty of rams, ladders and siege towers from the lush forests. He would take Hearth’s Home from 3 sides at the same time. This was a gamble from the start, as he left the safety of Karhold to head for the Umber Castle while vulnerable from the armies at the Dreadfort. It was a miracle they were not met on open field. And luck was shining upon them. Roose Bolton was in the castle when the siege began, with only a handful of swordsmen to guard him. It is time to send the troops onward, now before the rest of the North is upon us, and our towers sink in the mud. With a sudden call from his warhorn the soldiers marched, eager to fight and get out of the rain. They were at the walls in no time. Seeing themselves surrounded the men left the walls and made for the castle’s centre yard.

At least this commander is not foolish, we will lose men on this day. His men quickly took the undefended walls and began to march on the enemy forces from 3 different directions. But the full might of the army cut bogged down in the fight in the street as a small group of brave knights confronted them.

Nevertheless the 2 groups from the sides reached the yard and began the bitter battle. Steel rang as men pitched against man in the yard. The Northmen were brave, fighting valiantly and refusing to go down until they took several fatal blows. By the time time the rest of the stormland forces reached the yard, it became a chaos of dead men, dying men, mud and rainwater. Lord Roose himself was in the center of it all. His armor was as red as his own banner, and fought fiercely as he was being surrounded by Edric’s spearmen.

He fell of his horse and died with a spear through his neck. But his men continued the fight, not relenting until they were only a handful fighting on the sides and the stormlanders were pouring into the keep. What a bloody battle, and this was just the beginning, Winterfell still lies ahead, and surely the Starks will move against us soon... and if this were not enough... winter is coming, I pray that you were right in your plan Uncle. I pray...

Chapter 15

Nothing was going as planned. His outriders retuned within a day after they left, telling of northen on their heels. Since then Meryn led his ragged host into forced march after forced march as he struggled to keep one step in front of the northmen. White Harbor had been ripe for the taking, but with the northmen so close, charging it would mean suicide. So he had to abandon his hope for greatness for the time being. But fate was not finished with him yet. Two more hosts from the north were coming down from Winterfell for him, he would be surrounded if he remained in the region, so he plowed further west towards the kingsroad. Now he was hundreds of leagues from any other allied forces, and the autumn weather was battering hard on his men. Such ill luck, and now with the bad weather, my men were weak before, but now demoralized, well they are not fit to face an army on open field. By now word will have reached King’s Landing. ... but there still is hope. "Ser what are your orders for today? Are we to reinforce the camp or do we move out?"
    We still have a chance. "Bring down the camp, Captain, we move west... we move for Barrowton"

{~~King’s Landing~~}

Renly did not know what to do. He received message of a new alliance between the Martells and Tyrells, age old quarel had been put aside with his new reign, but for such a small shine of luck, the raven from Karhold brought the dark news. It seemed that the reinforcements meant to help Edric have landed and took to pillaging and raging the northlands. They were chased by northmen, and without any hope of relief, without those men, the entire campaign was in jeopardy. But for all this there was still hope. The stark diplomat came forth with a letter from his king... Renly hold the letter and read This upstart king still holds on to his title, yet he shows weakness, he asks for a ceasefire. A trap. If I give him this , I may be able to reinforce the north, but at the same time I recognize his reign and kingdom.... What should I do... I am the king, I must defend the realm and it’s people... but If I save more people... then I destroy the realm recognizing another king and sundering the Seven Kingdoms .... if I do not, then I risk more lives and doom more men... what is a king to do when he is forced to choose between the realm and its people...

Chapter 16

The sun was setting over Pyke, yet night will find the castle under new lordship. Lord Connigton sent his men forward to the castle walls. All were well trained men , trained at Storm’s End under Cortnay’s watchful eye. They were green but they were ready. Many fell under the relentless arrows of the ironmen, but that not weakened their resolve. They were soon upon the walls and bows proved useless against naked steel.

Some were armed with spears and axes, those gave the stormlanders a true challenge. As men were fighting violently for supremacy on the walls, the gate broke and swordsmen were leading the second ram towards the inner gate. The ram was ambushed in the streets by the bulk of the Greyjoy men, led by Balon King of the Isles himself.

A brutal heroic battle ensured as axe and sword and shield clashed violently for supremacy and the fate of the second Greyjoy rebellion. Balon himself was cutting away at men , while Connignton was mobilising his second wave to advance for the city. Balon was surrounded and soon stabbed to death by the greenlanders he so much despised.

Seeing their king fall, the ironmen made a run for the inner keep. Meanwile the battle was nearing end on the walls as both camps were becoming exhausted. The ironmen, beaten but not defeated decided to run and regrup at the keep, but down on the streets the stormlanders were waithing. What followed was a massacre.

As the last lights of day were faiding the second ram was brough to the inner gate.

The Ironmen tried to surrender, but Connington will not have it."They had their second chance and rose back into rebellion. This time there is no second chance men, burn and kill all you encounter, this is the last day of the Ironmen on Pyke!"
    And so had the citadel of the krakens fallen the second time for a Baratheon that sat the Iron Throne.

The gods had blessed Edric. He lead half of his host for a raid on the seemingly undefended Dreadfort. But somehow it had defenders. The boy king Brandon was there with only his bodyguards. While they laid siege, outriders spoke of a large northman army marching to help it’s king. The time for talk is over, if the boy king will not renounce his claim or surrender, then he will meet the king’s justice. "Onward men!" Through the dense fog , Edric’s men climbed the walls and opened the gate. As the boy king saw the many men running into the outer castle he turned and ran for the inner keep. But Edric had expected it. "Now!! Now!! After me knights it is time justice found the young wolf!!"The knights personalily led by Edric "The Storm" Baratheon caught the young wolf just as he entered the inner gate.

Knight pitched against knight as the fog and rain enveloped the entire castle. Horses fell, swords sang and blood flew as knight after knight fell from both sides. The young king made one desperate atempt to regrup, but he was soon surrounded by hedge knights. He managed to kill four of them but one blew from a simple hedge knight found the horse’s neck and the beast fell on its back and crushed the young king.

And so falls Brandon Stark, rebel king of the North

As King Renly sat in his solar he heard his Maester come running in with a letter in hand. The king rose up, by now accustomed by the Grand Maester’s eagerness to deliver urgent messages. But was this one a good one or a bad one?
    "Your grace... word from the Isles, the King of the Seastone Chair ....dead..."
    "Your wits must be leaving you Maester, we know that Balon was killed from several weeks ago..."
    "No my king, his brother ... Euron he was calling his ironmen captains to council at the Banefort when the castle was assaulted by one of our own."
    "What? I have not ordered any assault on the Banefort!"
    "Lord Swann your grace, he tasked his most able captain, ser Richard Trant to march on the castle with the Warrior’s Sons recruits, he took large casualties, but the castle was secured, and the one the raiders called the Crow’s Eye had been put to the king’s justice, and now what’s left of the ironmen battle against each other, the Kingdom of the Isles is finished."

Lord Renly sat down to ponder the words. The Kingdom of the Isles finished, after all this, finally they have been destroyed. "Is there anyone of House Greyjoy still alive?"
    "None your grace, or they would have claimed the crown by now"
    "So their long history of pillaging has come to an end. Send word to Lord Swann, tell him that one of his sons, one of his choosing will inherit Pyke and tell him he earned his rest for all he has done."
    The Kingdom of the Isles is finished... "There is still one rebel to quell however, it is time I finished the war... it is time for the last of the rebel kingdoms to fall, it is time for the North to rejoin my kingdom, and then we could finally have... Peace..".

Renly’s hopes for peace were just that, hopes. For the Northmen were not that easily tamed. Half a year later, after the fall of the Greyjoys the war in the North was still raging. Renly was forced to call all the bannermen in the stormlands to the war, as battles were won and lost on all sides. Hundreds of men were lost on both sides, as the war ragged from the stony coast in the east to the lands of The Dreadfort. However Renly’s wits and diplomacy paid off, as the Vale recognised his kingship and trade began, with food and supplies arriving from the Vale where the war never came. In an unexpected turn of events even lord Tywin, now lord of only Harrenhall recognised the King and signed a ceasefire. With these new diplomatic victories the North was Doomed. Moat Calinin, The Fingers, Bear Keep, Deepwood Motte and White Harbor, all fell in turn to the Stormlander generals as each raced to win the war before the first snows. An army succeded in taking Winterfell by surprise, and that was the final nail in the coffin. The Stark Army was as big as the Stormlander , but it was concentrated between Torrhen’s Square and Barrowton. The King in the North himself retreated to Torrhen’s Square to tend to a wound received when he defeated Edric at the Neck. But that was his mistake, as a diversionary attack was made on Barrowton to draw the Stark army, a secret one, hidden away in the woods stroke for the Stark Leader. Time was of the essence, the men had only a few days before the northmen army would return but they managed to build their siege weapons, and the final batle in the war was about to begin.

The sky was cloudy as it seemed to be every time in the north now. Captain Stannis, named the same as the rebel brother of the king, had the honor and duty to lead the attack.

The garrison was formed of men at arms and spearmen. The walls were quickly taken by the stormlander longswords and the gates were overrun with swordsmen. Before the Starks could react the city was crawling with their enemies.All the infantry were bogged down in the frontal street as longswords moved along the walls to the keep.

The King rode to battle next to the east wall. The battle quckly bogged down as knight faced soldier in a bloody fight.

While the Starks were being overrun in the centre and east, and army crept along the west wall and took the keep with no one to counter them.

The battle was the easiest victory for months, and without a keep, and surrounded by enemies, the Stark leader surrendered his sword to captain Stannis. However much he wanted to send the false king to be judged on the Great Sept of Lord Baelor the Blessed, captain Stannis was forced to execute the Kings Justice on the tallest tower of the keep, for all the realm to see the price of treachery. With this last victory the war of the 5 kings ended, leaving the Seven Kingdoms devastated but united, under the rule of King Renly Baratheon the first of his name, King of the Andals, The First Men and the Rhoynar. Now his reign can trully begin and finally, the realm has the king it so long needed and deserved.

Last edited by Prophet1331; October 02, 2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

Default Re: The Younger Baratheon

Reserved just in case
    Some battles are won with swords and spears, others with quills and ravens. Tywin Lannister

Timur Amir's Avatar Centenarius

Don't worry, it's not too long , on the contrary I can't wait for a few updates, (with screenshots, mayhaps? ) Great work

achudnow's Avatar Semisalis

Really good, quite true to the style of the books. It's wierd to hear of Renly taking King's Landing when in my Stannis game I've assassinated him with a shadow (book-style) and taken King's Landing myself xD

{~~Update~~}

Thanks for the positive feedback, It's my first AAR so I'm sure it won't be too good, but I plan on making one for every faction, if time permits. If things go well I might add a few more chapters tonight.
    Last edited by Prophet1331; September 25, 2011 at 11:33 AM.

excellent update, my good sir!

Pictures!

Update
    Also I will probably be finishing this AAR this weekend and I'm thinking of starting a new one. Any suggestions on what faction I should do an AAR about?

huzzah!

as for what faction next...that entirely depends on what kind of AAR you want to do, the desired length, the desired focus, ect.

Another small update. I may add another 3 chapters tonight, but nothing's certain.

I want an AAR similar to this one, something to take up to the end or, close to it and give a nice story to back it up. I'm kind of leaning between Greyjoy and Lannister.

Quote Originally Posted by Prophet1331 View Post
    Another small update. I may add another 3 chapters tonight, but nothing's certain.

I want an AAR similar to this one, something to take up to the end or, close to it and give a nice story to back it up. I'm kind of leaning between Greyjoy and Lannister.
    And a nice update at that

As for the nest faction...well, both Greyjoy and Lannister are good choices. However, if you choose Greyjoy, you may want to install the submod; I hear it adds plenty of Ironborn units.

Well that's it , my first AAR. Thanks for all the positive feedback. If it all goes well I might start the next AAR this weekend.

Great AAR! Has there been an update for the mod yet?

dannyalex's Avatar Campidoctor

nice!
    Most Chivalrous commander 2020-2021

Maybe anoyther update maybe... lets em say a rebellion.
    United we stand interenets! Nerdfighter.
    Warcraft Total War!
    Help Save a Wonderful mod that could
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=273449
    You guys should register for the golden Symbol of Forum Oppression http://signup.europauniversalis4.com/r/89425f5ce60

Quote Originally Posted by Jack of House Baratheon View Post
    Great AAR! Has there been an update for the mod yet?
    What mod is that?

Maybe anoyther update maybe... lets em say a rebellion.
    For this AAR? I lost the data with the enhanced version update. I remember seeing around the forum in a post that GRRM doesn't really support fan-fiction with his books (I might be wrong though concerning AARs).

Maybe an AAR once the King of Rivers and Hills submod is released.

nice i like seeing a aar about Renly, Stark and Lanister are to Mainstream lol