Page 1 of 125 12345678910112651101 ... LastLast

Thread: NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

King Nud's Avatar Praepositus

Default NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

I guess this should be time to make this thread. The days are shortening, the weather is getting colder, Football is back.

And no basketball!

Just saw that the NBA announced the cancellation of all summer camps (were due to start Oct 3rd) and all pre-season games from Oct 9th-15th.

THIS SUCKS. I want it back

#FreeTheNBA
    Staff Writer at KingJamesGospel.com

jukeness's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: NBA 2011-12 Season Thread

I guess we'll just have to play the waiting game.

Nud, is this true? Luol Deng is gonna be on some British money?

http://money.uk.msn.com/david-bowie-...pounds#image=1

Whats going on over there? That's the ugliest money I've ever seen

Yep, going to be on some commemorative £5 notes that come from Brixton, the area of London he grew up/started playing ball in. They won't be proper notes (just decorative) it's the biggest honor he could get without actually getting his face on actual currency which I don't think has happened in this country.

He deserves it.

He deserves to have his face on some money? Weird. I must have underestimated the popularity of some of these Bulls players abroad. Derrick is a God in China and now I find out Lu has his own money.

jukeness's Avatar Domesticus

It doesn't surprise me. The players are being so gay.

It's both sides. The players offered 53-47% split of Basketball income (in favor of the players) and the owners will not move off of 53-47% in THEIR favor.

I said it would be Christmas before games were played and unfortunately I haven't been proved wrong.

Tomorrow or Wednesday, Stern is going to have to make his best and last offer in order to save the starting night of the season. He said the first two weeks are going to be fried on Monday.

upsetting to learn that the biggest differences between sides is not hard cap vs soft cap or amnesty vs no amnesty, y'know stuff that affects the fans, but just comes down to the money.

I was hoping good stuff would come out of this lockout.

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

The thing is that they had a bargaining deal done a few years ago that these terms were fair an equitable, but now they are not. It seems that the owners are being recalcitrant in their dealings.

therussian's Avatar Use your imagination

First it was Shaq. Then came Ron Artest. And now...presenting Stephen Jackson!

House of the Caesars | Under the Patronage of Comrade Trance Crusader. Proud Patron of Comrades Shadow_Imperator, Zenith Darksea, Final Frontier and Plutarch | Second Generation| ex-Eagle Standard Editor| Consilium de Civitate | Album Reviews

mrmouth's Avatar flaxen haired argonaut

Quote Originally Posted by classical_hero View Post
    The thing is that they had a bargaining deal done a few years ago that these terms were fair an equitable, but now they are not. It seems that the owners are being recalcitrant in their dealings.
    They had a tentative deal on the table, but the players never agreed to even negotiating it.

This ultimately ends when the players can swallow being bent over so bad. It doesn't matter the sport, the players have no actual leverage. So it becomes a situation where it ends, when they can accept losing badly. Probably harder after watching how the NFL PA was taken so badly. The owners got 98% of what they wanted.

The players going overseas are just a pointless attempt to show that it isnt about the money for them, and to keep in game shape. Probelm is, it really created a lot of bad blood between GMs/owners, and players. They could have easily stayed in the US and played exhibitions on city courts, where teams could have monitored their substantial investments. But the former also gets the NBA game out to more people on the global level.

One positive is that this hasn't actually gotten as ugly as I thought it would get, publicly. Although, that might be coming soon.
    Last edited by mrmouth; October 06, 2011 at 06:41 AM.
    The fascists of the future will be called anti-fascists
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity

Captain Blackadder's Avatar A bastion of sanity

Quote Originally Posted by BarnabyJones View Post
    They had a tentative deal on the table, but the players never agreed to even negotiating it.

This ultimately ends when the players can swallow being bent over so bad. It doesn't matter the sport, the players have no actual leverage. So it becomes a situation where it ends, when they can accept losing badly. Probably harder after watching how the NFL PA was taken so badly. The owners got 98% of what they wanted.

The players going overseas are just a pointless attempt to show that it isnt about the money for them, and to keep in game shape. Probelm is, it really created a lot of bad blood between GMs/owners, and players. They could have easily stayed in the US and played exhibitions on city courts, where teams could have monitored their substantial investments. But the former also gets the NBA game out to more people on the global level.

One positive is that this hasn't actually gotten as ugly as I thought it would get, publicly. Although, that might be coming soon.
    Well speaking as an Australian who will now see a NBL player in my league many of the foreign players are going home to play to improve the sport in their home countries. That to me is a better use of their time then playing exhibition games in the states.
    Patronised by happyho
    Patron of Thoragoros, Chilon
    Member of the Legion of Rahl

Sure, I'm all for that on the surface. Problem is, they have an obligation to the teams that pay them absurd amounts of money, to be ready for the season, and not injured. Again, that hasn't helped in negotiations.

Big Dogg's Avatar Semisalis

Everyone knows it is gonna end up with a 51/49 split but what we need is for someone to have the balls to stand up and say it. Unfortunately that may take some time.

Fortunately Tyson Chandler, Shawn Marion and K Love made this great video taking the piss.

Vir Triumphalis's Avatar Senator

This thread would be stickied once the season starts.

classical_hero's Avatar Senator

If and that is a very big if.

Big Dogg's Avatar Semisalis

If and that is a very big if.
    No one can afford for it not to quite frankly. As I said before, what we need is for someone to have the balls to stand up and officially suggest the 49/51 split.

There are a few teams who would be in a better position if the season didn't happen. But it likely will, as it hasn't gotten anywhere near as ugly as it probably should have. Or at least it hasn't gone public.

Next week will be key.