Praetores: Gaius Cornelius Scipio et Lucius Titus Regulus

Quaestores: Gaius Marius Aquila et Lucius Petrus Dextrus

Tribunes: Aulus Junius Horatius

Proconsules:
    Sicilia et Africa - Publilus Sempremonius Lucullus
    Hispania - Septimus Tuccius Nerva
    Gallia Transalpina - Severus Vipsanius Cincinnatus
    Graecia et Asia - Aulus Ovidius Priscus

Senate-People Relationship Meter:-1 (strained)

Random Roll: No random event, Land Reforms, regional, (2 points)

The session for the year 45 BCE has been called to order. Pressing matters of discussion include (and must be resolved before other measures):

• Filling the Magistracies
    • War in Africa, conclusion of the war in Spain
    • Land Reforms, regional, (2 points)
    Last edited by Magicman2051; September 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM.

Default Re: The Curia, 45 BCE

A messenger arrives with a letter to the Senate,

Greeting Senators,
    As by your request the negotiations for peace with Lusitania were made, me and chief Punicus have agreed with the following treaty,

Pax Iberia

1.All territories already conquered by Rome to Lusitania shall remain under Roman control.
    2.Lusitania accepts the above and promises to not declare war to any Iberian faction without Rome permission.
    3.Non-compliance of the above shall end in Rome declaring war against Lusitania as to maintain the status Quo.
    They refused the full anexation or to became a client state, however we weren't in position to achive this, not without permission to destroy their last army, chief Punicus accepted the Pax Iberia but I would like to state that he is not to be trusted, having him offered me the chance to become Imperator of Hispania and take control of Rome, this was refused as it's obvious.

Waiting for your permission to close the agremment,
    ProConsul Gaius Scipio
    ooc: posted by ForteS in the old curia thread, recopied here so people can see it

Senator Burcanius stands up

''These are excellent news. Now we can start concentrating on the wars in Gaul and Africa. I received a letter from Africa. In the letter a man named Titus Akab demanded that the Roman armies would act or they would switch sides.''
    The Roman Struggle: Publilus Sempremonius Lucullus, Roman Pro-Consul
    Aux character: Tetius Ateius Burcanius
    GSTK:Francois de Guyenne, Knight

Aetius's Avatar Vae victis

Consul Corva addresses the Senate chamber on the most pressing issue;

"Senators, it is now clearly evident the situation in Numidia is spiraling out of control. Jugurtha attacks Roman lands, and broken Pax Romana. What answer do we have to this aggression?

The retribution must be swift and decisive.

I propose that this war become legitimized and that we vigorously pursue his defeat. I submit myself, as a consular commander in chief, to bring about victory. I am willing to spend my fortune on raising another legion, and cavalry."

Bellum Iugurthinum
    • Official State of War is Declared against Numidia
    • 30000 is spent on assembling 3000 cavalry auxillia in Africa
    • Decimus Cornelius Corva will raise a legion and auxillaries and assume control of the war with the Proconsul as legatus.

Blut und Boden

Primus applauded the proposal in agreement.

Yes, the consul must pursue the successful conclusion of this war.

The Stig's Avatar Protector Domesticus

"I support the bill."
    Quote Originally Posted by Ancient Aliens
    Yes. The Stig is Jesus.
    People's Republic of Cascadia

Dark Storm's Avatar saut dans le vide
    Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I do not agree with this bill, do we place such little trust in our Pro-Consuls that we must seek at every turn to remove the power from their hands. Pro-Consul Lucullus, must be allowed to defend his own lands, what message does it send out to the world that our individual Senators can not be trusted with the defense of their lands."
    ...treasure, pleasure, leisure, les yeux;
    It's all in your eyes.

"To the contrary, ProConsuls of late have been given far too much military command. The duty of a ProConsul is to govern their lands fairly and deal with any issues within their own imperium. This is why I never invaded Crete, because it was not in my power to do so. I would expect Lucullus to fight Jugurtha in Sicily and Africa, but what I am proposing lies beyond his jurisdiction with a war into greater Numidia.

Remember fellow Consul, we are the highest military rank in the Republic. Most all wars in our history have been fought by them, and usually together. If you want to be traditional, we could hold a joint command over the army, but I would expect you to be committed and raise your own legion as well."
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"I had already planned to raise a legion, and i shall not be told what i should do with my money, Consul. Not by you or by anyone. This bill takes away power from those who have worked to deserve it. Pro-Consul Lucullus has already proven himself a worthy Senator. Why we must take any power away from him, is beyond me. This Senate seems fit to give others imperium to go to war, Pro-Consul Severus comes to mind. He is no longer Consul yet remains one of the greatest military figures in Rome."
    It's all in your eyes.

Primus stood, eager to interject.

Severus Magnus has always proven himself a faithful, gifted, citizen. His use of Imperium to drive those who would threaten the borders of the Republic is crucial to the safety and expansion of the Gallic province. In his dedication he has raised three of his own legions, almost half of the entire force under his command, to make Gaul safe. The proconsulate of Africa, on the other hand, seems to be staffed with timid or incompetent men who despite months of Numidian raiding have yet to even mobilize the legions at their disposal.

The legions of Spain should be on their way to North Africa as we speak, and I do not have faith enough in the Proconsulate of Africa to defend their own lands. The consulate is the supreme royal office of the Republic and therefore has the right to intervene and lead armies. I would encourage political tact be used. It would be inefficient for a consul to demand an assignment in Gaul, for example, due to the dedication of the proconsulate, and arguably Spain. Africa, on the other hand, clearly shows the need for Consular command.

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Senators, may i remind you that i was only two years ago, pro-consul of Sicillia et Africa, and i must say that Lucullus has made the best decision possible. Our lands their are large, mobilising entire legions just to deal with petty raids, could lead to our greatest cities being attacked and fallen. Numidians are masters of the desert, they would evade our legions in the blistering heat, and while we scurried about in the sand, Jugurtha would strike at our cities and take back Africa. Our legions work best in the cities, Lucullus has made the best decision and i commend him for it."
    It's all in your eyes.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

"Consul, while I agree with your judgement on the environment, these are no mere raids. Thousands of Numidians are marching around near Carthage. In my opinion the only thing keeping them out of the actual city is the walls. I believe we should strike while the civil war is still going on, and therefore support the bill."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

"Lucullus would serve a critical position as military legate commanding cavalry and as a foreign liaison with Adherbal.

Nobody is being denied anything, but it is time to recognize Consular primacy in military situations. Severus is an exceptional man, and I am of the opinion he will always be commanding an army somewhere regardless of the position he holds. However, exceptions are not the rules.

Jugurtha must be treated with a firm hand, the Senate will show that the wrath of Rome is not to be reckoned with.

This matter should probably be put to vote soon. Every day we waste reduces our chance of victory."
    Blut und Boden

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Gnaeus thought for a moment, before speaking. "I do not wish my first act in the curia this term, to be an argument with my fellow Consul. I do not think your reasons are correct for this. However i can see some merit, if this is too go through though, i'd prefer Lucullus to remain in command and the Consul to be an advisor to him, drive him away from any bad decisions. Let the legions now that there Pro-Consuls can be trusted with at least some level of power, and they will be able to believe in their pro-consuls ability altogether. At the end of the day, it is up to him to get the people of his provinces to follow his rule, what message does it send out if he cannot lead his legions?"
    It's all in your eyes.

Okmin's Avatar In vino veritas

"Consuls are our leaders in foreign campaigns; proconsuls defend their land. I propose a compromise. The proconsul will be given command and the consul advise him while the fighting is on Roman soil. The consul will command any campaign in Numidia itself."
    IN VINO VERITAS
    IN CERVESIO FELICITAS

Under the patronage of The Lizard King
    Patron of Narf
    and Starlightman

Tribunus

Senator Bucco stood and spoke.

"There seems to be, as far as I can see, a conflict in logic of both your arguments. Corva just this past year you yourself attempted to march to war without the approval of the Senate and when the aid of a Consul was deemed fit to be sent to you, you simply refused out of pride. Do you not think it more appropriate to see what actions the Pro-Consul intends to take before leaping to conclusions or making decisions for yourself on behalf of the whole Republic?"

"And you, Senator, just a few weeks ago spoke of how much harm sending one of our number away for a brief diplomatic mission would cause the Senate. Surely by that same logic sending one of our honoured Consul's to a foreign land to fight, and perhaps die, in a war is equally harmful? With little on the side of benefit."

"As I understand it the Pro-Consul already has some aid in the form of Gaius Marius Aquila, a former Consul. Do you have so little faith in both men? Or is it just glory that you seek?"

"Severus is a Pro-Consul... Scipio was a Pro-Consul... there is more precedent to have Pro-Consul's carrying war into foreign lands than there is to have Consuls doing the same."

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

ooc- which senators are you speaking to here, sorry
    It's all in your eyes.

Tribunus

ooc- Everyone. Bucco doesn't really understand the concept of talking to people, he just talks to everyone as a sign of respect, he is stupid like that.

"Furthermore honoured Senators, it will still be months before the Legion currently being raised by the Consul will be ready for a battle, yet alone a trek across the deserts of Numidia."

Citizen

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

"Senator Bucco, here is correct, we do indeed already have another of our Senators in Africa. Do you disagree with Senator Bucco's and my own points Consul?"
    It's all in your eyes.

"I believe both sides have made their points, but all the oratory in the world cannot veil the fact that Consuls outrank ProConsuls.

Still, I don't see why a compromise can't be made. Gaius Marius Aquila made a very reasonable suggestion which I think we should take into account."

Bellum Iugurthinum
    • Official State of War is Declared against Numidia
    • 30000 is spent on assembling 3000 cavalry auxillia in Africa
    • Decimus Cornelius Corva will raise a legion and auxillaries and assume control of the war with the Proconsul as legatus.
    • In defense of the province of Africa, Lucllus will share joint command with the Consul.

Blut und Boden

Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast