Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XVI uploaded - Nov 3)

XVII: The cover of darkness

1554 – Autumn

Looking out onto the plains, I pondered our fate in these lands. The bright hues of summer had faded, leaving desiccated leaves to drift from their branches. A year had passed since we entered Kaga, and while we defeated the core of the Ikko army last winter, the survivors of that battle still posed a credible threat. The promised reinforcements from Odawara had not arrived, and we were outnumbered by even the Ikko remnants in Kaga alone. Close to one thousand five hundred Ikko still garrisoned Echizen and Omi provinces, and our only saving grace was that the Ikko were now embroiled in a leadership struggle from within.

Without a recognised leader, the Ikko remnants had dissolved into the landscape, resorting to banditry and sabotage to sustain themselves. Kaga was a fertile province and the land had much to offer, but our efforts to reform irrigation and farming had stalled thanks to the devastation caused by the Ikko. Several attempts at rooting out these vermin were organised but were ultimately unsuccessful – each time they simply dispersed, only to resume their treachery weeks later. The lack of agricultural output from anywhere south of Kanazawa castle meant most of the province had to depend on food sources elsewhere, and my repeated requests for grain from Etchu and Hida could not have gone down well with Harunobu or the local administrators. Either way such an arrangement surely could not be a long term solution.

“Tono …”

I hadn’t noticed Masako standing beside me, but was glad when she interrupted my jumbled thoughts. We had employed a number of servants in recent months, but she had insisted on tending to my quarters personally.

“The Ikko are draining the life out of these lands, yet we have no way of ridding ourselves of them. Even after the winter siege they still outnumber us, and as winter approaches again we are no closer to remedying our lack of supplies.”

Masako bowed her head in silence as I addressed her. I could not expect her to comprehend the depth of our problem, much less share my burden, but at least she would allow me to express my frustration. To do the same in front of the men would have been seen as weakness – ill afforded at the best of times. I turned and saw that her ever present smile had been replaced with an expression of weariness, and beckoned her to speak.

“Tono, why do we fight? Why do we destroy the homes of others?” Masako asked hesitantly. Her question surprised me given the circumstances, but I did my best to answer. We had fought as a way of life since the times of father, and his father before him. We fought because our enemies preyed upon our every weakness and we had no choice by to, I told her.

“Kai is safe now, yet castles are still sacked and lives destroyed? Why can we not live in peace and let others be?”

I sighed. Peace was almost an alien concept to me, and only ever spoken after the word ‘temporary’, or as part of some grander scheme to wage war. Perhaps there would be peace one day, but most likely that would only happen when our enemies had been silenced and do not have the strength to raise arms against us, and maybe not even then.

“We take only what we must. We show kindness to those who would reciprocate and show us loyalty.”

“Like how you murdered everyone at Mishima castle??” Her voice was raised now, and droplets of tears had gathered in the corner of her eyes. I tried to remember the last time Masako had displayed such emotion, and recalled none. I could not blame her for resenting the events of that fateful day. Perhaps I was the one mistaken in thinking that she would simply accept her new life as one of the Takeda. An uneasy silence ensued.

“You may leave if you wish. I cannot bring back those who were slain.”

“No… I am not blind to your kindness, Nobushige-sama, and I have no way of repaying it but to stay in your service. I… I just wish…”

Masako broke down mid-sentence, quivering softly as she tried to hide her sobbing. I moved to put my arm around her shoulder, but thought better of the inappropriate gesture. No amount of training or battle could have prepared me for this, and I shut my eyes, hoping the awkwardness would go away somehow.

The generals rose and made their leave from the latest in a long line of fruitless meetings. Suggestions were made on how to remove the Ikko from our lands, but the ideas differed little from our previous failures. The room was empty now, and as I gazed idly into the empty hallway, I barely made out a dark figure as one of the floor boards creaked softly. Raising my guard, I clutched my wakizashi and approached cautiously…

Nothing.

And then, as if by some trick of the mind, I heard a chuckle from behind me. Spinning around, blade in hand, bemusement and rage filled me as I saw the familiar figure of our resident troublemaker.

"Hanzo!! Have you no regard for rules?!"

Hattori Hanzo, or Oni as he preferred to be called, had grown into a man since we encountered him in Shinano. His slight figure belied his improving skills in combat, as well as fluency with a range of unusual weapons. Even now he was unmatched in single combat except against Yukitaka and me. Most impressive of all, though, was his swiftness of foot as he had just demonstrated at my expense.

In his time with us the boy had added a mischievous streak to his abilities, and often served as miscreant-in-chief among the residents of the castle. None were safe from his acts of sabotage, and he particularly delighted in teasing the womenfolk and the older generals. Yukitaka once lashed him severely for filling his kabuto with horse droppings, but that only resulted in his entire suit of armour being subjected to the same treatment, to the amusement of all. I had intimated removing Hanzo from our ranks after that incident, but was persuaded otherwise by none other than Yukitaka himself. It was only after that I realised the two had developed a strong bond, despite – or maybe as a result of – the younger man's machinations. Yukitaka's sons were serving with the main Takeda forces in Suruga, and it pleased me that he was able to find solace in counselling Hanzo, even if such counsel did little to curb the latter's mischief.

"Nobushige-sama, I hear you are troubled by the Ikko remnants."

"Indeed. You'd have known that far earlier if you had attended any of our meetings in the past year. I don't suppose you have an idea?"

"What do I get in return for bringing you the Ikko, all of them assembled in a field, ready for the slaughter?"

Hanzo rode on my left as part of my bodyguard, and we marched through the night, almost feeling our way through the darkness. The men were under the strictest orders of silence, and pressed on without as much as a murmur. In the haste of our departure the formalities of a Takeda advance were forgone. There was no speech from their general, no crowd to send them off, just the comfort that their brothers in arms would be at their back. They knew not where we were going, nor what to expect when they got there, but loyalty to the Takeda banner had kept their morale high, and we made good progress.

Under much duress Hanzo had revealed his plan to me and me alone. Despite the demise of his clan, many of his Iga kinsmen had remained loyal to their young master. These men were spread out through the land, and each practiced the same techniques as Hanzo himself – ninjutsu they called it. Recently some of his men had stumbled upon a party of the renegade Ikko, and they had spread rumours of a large caravan of our supplies arriving in Kanazawa. The word was that the caravan would arrive at Kanazawa from the southern approach, and would stay the night on a flat half a day's march south of the castle this night. It was there we headed now. I had my doubts about the plan, but beggars could not be choosers, and we were fast running out of options.

We crested a hill and my heart skipped a beat at the sight of lanterns. The Ikko had indeed arrived to intercept the "caravan", and were now massed upon the grassy plains before us – perhaps confused at where their expected prize would be. At first they were nothing but specs of light against the dark horizon, but as we got closer the enormity of the situation slowly dawned upon us. The Ikko were gathered in their hundreds – this must have been their entire force! As we marched, a smile crept across my face for the first time in months. We were fewer in number, but compared to this mob we were focused and well drilled, and I was confident that today we would rid Kaga of this vile filth. Just as it was in the winter siege, I expected us to prevail today, not because we had more men, or even because we had superior arms, but because we simply had no other option.

Takanaga had been ordered to remain at Kanazawa to oversee the castle, so Yukitaka had been charged with leading the Akazonae cavalry. I lost sight of his men as they rode into a mass of trees, but decided to trust his judgement. I was confident the old veteran would judge the opportune moment correctly. For the first time in some time I was in a state of complete focus. There was no Takanaga to worry about, no latent fear that one of my own would betray my battle plans. I was in absolute control and placed full trust in my men's ability to prevail. It was a feeling I had not felt since being told I wouldn’t be leaving Odawara alone, and its return reminded me why Harunobu and I had taken so quickly to the art of warfare as young boys.

The army stopped just short of firing range of the enemy, and the jumble of Ikko rushing to organise themselves was clear indication that our presence was not expected. They were expecting a caravan of goods, not a full force of Takeda men at arms, and without a recognised leader they were at a loss to explain the turn of events. They could not hope to run now, I thought, and I was not disappointed as the Ikko rabble formed slowly into lines. Despite their ragged look these were desperate men, and we would need to fight well if we were to prevail. By allowing them to form lines we had allowed them to present a strong front, but their flanks would be exposed. Unwittingly they had played perfectly into our strongest strength, and the stage was set.

I gave the order to advance, and our archers moved quickly into position. As if to announce our arrival, the ashigaru captains ordered their men to select their fire arrows, and the sky was filled with the twang of the yumi and the whistle of burning shafts flying through the air. The fiery projectiles lit up the dark battlefield and left trails of dark, foul smelling smoke. Patches of dry grass were set alight amidst the Ikko, sending panic through the Ikko ranks as men scattered to avoid the flames.

Beneath the shower of fiery shafts, our yari advanced at full speed, and the Ikko moved to meet them. The two sides had been separated by no less than a hundred or more paces, but the two sides had closed the distance in a matter of seconds. As the two sides collided with a thud, lanterns danced in the darkness as the dull sounds of melee and desperate screams from variously maimed soldiers filled the night sky. I had to strain my eyes to see the patches of melee illuminated by the lanterns. We fought well, but from what I could tell – which was little – the Ikko had not taken heavy losses, and the melee was at a standstill.

Above the din of the battle, Hanzo shouted that our cavalry had emerged from their wooded position. His voice was filled with a youthful exuberance, and I derived great satisfaction in offering a stoic response - the ways of his clan had brought us to this battle, but it would be the ways of mine which ensured victory. The Akazonae's red armour had been painted frigid silver by the moonlight, and our iconic battle cry could be heard across the plains. As the leading horsemen crashed into the flank of the Ikko spearmen, bodies were sent flying in all directions. I smiled a little as I witnessed one particularly unfortunate individual sail through the air.

The cavalry charge had caught the Ikko off guard, and as our infantry pressed on they began to falter. The cavalry had cut a bloody swath through the enemy ranks, and the entire Ikko line was in flight before long. Our men, sensing blood, gave chase eagerly, guided by the light of a full moon. By the time we had called off the chase several kilometres west of the battlefield, the Ikko had been utterly vanquished, and Hanzo had resumed claiming credit for the victory. Amused at his antics and buoyed by the completeness of our victory, I allowed him his moment of glory as Yukitaka joined me at the head of the men. I owed much to this old man, and my debt only increased after each battle.

Early counts suggested that we had lost less than one in five of our men, making the victory all sweeter. There would be celebration in the morning, likely followed by the counting of kills and the sharing of the spoils. This night marked the turning point in our struggles against the Ikko, I thought. Once Nobukado’s reinforcements arrived we would be able to march on Echizen and Omi. When that day came each one of these men would be needed to give their all, and I was confident they would not disappoint me.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 09:37 AM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XVII uploaded - Nov 10)

I´ve said this before, but... your pictures are amazing!
    Best of luck
    Proud to be Finnish

I like your pictures............. i want play shogun, but i dont have GPU ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Hussar View Post
    I´ve said this before, but... your pictures are amazing!
    Best of luck
    Quote Originally Posted by SakyaIllidan View Post
    I like your pictures............. i want play shogun, but i dont have GPU ^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Kratos2488 View Post
    This is one of my favorite AARs, the story, the writing, the pictures, they are all epic!
    Thanks guys Hope you like the story too

The next update might take a few more days than usual. Real life is being a and Assassins Creed Revelations is out tomorrow which won't help either

EDIT: Okay I lied. Real life was less of a today and I got the writing done for the next chapter. As always thank for reading all (including the lurkers ) and especially for the kind comments
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; November 15, 2011 at 04:36 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

This is one of my favorite AARs, the story, the writing, the pictures, they are all epic!

Just re-read a few pages of this. Great AAR.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

XVIII: Once and for all

1554 – Autumn

Waking with a headache and stiff limbs, it didn’t take long for me to realise all was not right. Clattering metal and curt shouting of orders from the captains were not the expected sounds after a battle like the night before. We made camp close to the battlefield, and had been expecting to celebrate our achievements. As I peeked out from my tent I raised a hand to shield my eyes. The morning sun hung low in the sky, and cast long shadows across the courtyard of our makeshift camp. Yukitaka perched himself on a stool in the centre of the courtyard, ordering ashigaru to and fro moving supplies and readying for battle. Perplexed, I made my way to the old samurai and demanded an explanation as he turned to greet me.

“Tono,” the perimeter patrols of the Sanada clan reported during the night. Close to two thousand Ikko are on the march from Echizen and crossed into Kaga at dawn. By now they should be no more than a few hours away from us.”

“Not enough time for us to return to Kanazawa.” I mused quietly in response, and Yukitaka nodded gravely. We would need to make do with what men we had around us. At nine hundred, we would face longer odds than the night before, and be without the cover of darkness to use to our advantage. We had forced the men to cover almost two days’ marching in a single night, and as I looked around the hunched backs and quiet aching groans were telling. I sighed – fighting an even battle implied poor tactics, and the debacle we now faced certainly did not reflect well upon my leadership. I tried to disguise my surprise at the turn of events, succeeding little.

“Nobushige-sama, you need not blame yourself. We won a great victory during the night thanks to your conviction, and we have a better chance than ever to secure Kaga province. If we fight hard we shall prevail. The men followed you here, and look to you for leadership.”

I looked up at the old samurai. His arm was outstretched and his hand was open in my direction. The many wrinkles that lined Yukitaka’s face had a solemn feel about them, and his eyes burned with a determination that diminished little as the years passed. Steeling my nerve, I grasped him, and he put his other hand on mine. We’d come too far, lost too many and achieved too much to fail now.

“My brothers, good men of the Takeda, we have won a great victory, but an even greater one awaits us. As we speak another host of these Ikko rats approach us, ready for the slaughter. You are tired, as am I, but I am wearied more by the insolence of this mob of cowards. As you enter into battle, think not of death, or fear, or their numbers. Think instead of your brothers at arms who will be on your left and right and who will shield you from the enemy as you shield them. Think of the great deeds you will accomplish together – not only today but tomorrow and in years to come. Think of the sacrifices you’ve had to make to come to this land, and those who’ve left us so we could stand here. Think of your homelands, your families, the womenfolk and children. They long for your return, but only as victors of war, as conquerors, and not as cowards with tails between your legs!

The sight of all of you fills me with much confidence. You come from different walks of life: samurai, farmer, merchant; but you are all experienced fighters now, and all warriors worthy of the Takeda name. Go forth men, and grab victory by the throat. Do not let go until the last breath has been squeezed from our enemies and these lands flow with their blood. I will be with you in battle, and we shall prevail!!”

The men were in high spirits as we marched. They would fight well today, I thought. We would need no less.

Taking heed of the latest scout reports, we chose to line ourselves on a wooded hill. The sparse cover made for a poor surprise attack, but at would at least shield our men from enemy archers. Yukitaka led the calvary as usual and I watched as he led them to an opening on the far left. Kansuke’s repeated advertisement of his “woodpecker” formation had been as tiresome as they were long and frequent, and Yukitaka had been one of the few who had reacted with anything other than amusement. Today we would find out whether this “woodpecker” actually worked.

As the men stood in silence in wait for the enemy, my thoughts wandered aimlessly. I thought of childhood, growing up in Kai with father, Harunobu, Nobukado; I thought of when I first heard that father had been imprisoned in Suruga, and that Harunobu had become daimyo; I thought of our first battle in Shinano, and how we had no idea of the tribulations that awaited us – and no doubt still do; and I thought of… Masako. I thought of the care she had given me over the past year or so and how much the Hojo girl had exceeded her role as my maidservant. Her annoyance at anything I told her about war mildly amused me, and I realised how often I found myself wondering at her idea of peace – how far removed from reality it seemed, and how strange it would be if one day we needed not draw the sword.

My thoughts were interrupted by the news that the Ikko had arrived. A brown fog had appeared over the hills and obscured the southern horizon. Before long the garish orange banners of the Ikko slowly became discernable through the dust, and the dark mass that was the Ikko army came into view. The horo of the Ikko general's bodyguard glimmered in the morning sun - these men would make fitting targets for the archers.

“Draw…aim…fire!!”

The silence was shattered abruptly as smoke and fire cut through the sky, leaving dark trails against the pale background and burnt leaves falling slowly to the ground.

The distant screams of the fallen Ikko subsided quickly, replaced by the shouting of orders and the rhythmic shuffle of feet and armour as our enemy turned to face us. We were outnumbered almost two to one, and although our men were far better equipped and trained, the numerical disadvantage was cause for concern. Faced with the larger enemy, our discipline would be paramount today, and looking on I was pleased to see that the men did not disappoint. The ashigaru captains did their best to encourage the men, shouting orders and encouragement over the clatter of swords and waves of arrows hissing through the air.

“Hold your positions! Watch your line!”

“Knees bent! Shoulders level!”

“Remember what you are fighting for you gutless women!!”

Anger swelled inside me as I surveyed the enemy rabble – clad in ill fitting armour and barely strong enough to wield a blade, simple peasants among the enemy were being forced onwards by their Ikko captains amid a storm of curses and discontent. In their desperation our foe must have pressed every man they could find into battle, and our orderly ranks were quick to expose the inexperience of such a mob. Several of the Ikko soldiers closest to my position could hardly called men at all – their youthful features twisted in agony as our men cut them down, blood curdling screams barely audible above the din of battle.

My head was turned by a sudden roar on the left flank. In their eagerness to extinguish the threat from our archers, the enemy yari had left their own exposed, and the Akazonae had seized the opportunity to charge. I caught a glimpse of Yukitaka’s orange jinbaori coat as his mount launched itself through the crowded enemy. Men were scattered in all directions by the momentum, and the jumbled cries of man and horse formed a terrible chorus. By the time the Ikko had reacted and turned to face Yukitaka’s men, they had already retreated pull back out of range. Kansuke would be pleased.

As midday approached, Almost an hour after the battle commenced we had fought to a standstill, and stood roughly where we started. Our men had fought bravely, but each fallen Ikko was simply replaced by more as waves of them poured forward. Carcasses had began to pile up beneath the fighting, and a dreadful stench of bowels and blood made breathing an unpleasant affair. The shape held by both ranks of men were less orderly now, and the pace of fighting had slowed. Yukitaka’s Akazonae still cut through the enemy archers at will like a katana through loose straw, but they were bloodied now, and had lost a number of riders. These Akazonae were highly trained fighters populated by important families in Kai, and their deaths would be costly – both financially and for my political standing back home. I would worry about that another day, I thought as I steadied my horse and ordered my men forward. If we were to fail today then the politics back in Kai would be of little consequence.

Maybe I was drunk on my own words of bravado, or simply because it had never happened before, but my surprise at seeing our own men turn tail and run was considerable. Blood and mud splattered in abstract patterns as the dozen or so ashigaru fled from the battle, trudging arduously through the terrain. Their faces painted pictures of exhaustion, and of utter desperation. Words were of no effect to these men now, and despite my best efforts they simply sought to escape this cauldron of death. I only hoped that the cowardice that had struck these men would not afflict the others, and was thankful at the sight of braver souls throwing themselves at the gap left by the deserters. How long would it be before these men would run out of strength or determination, I wondered.

It would not be enough. The enemy general had seized upon the opportunity and charged through the gap in our lines. The muted pounding of hooves was quickly joined by the clang of metal as I met the Ikko general. The duel started methodically as we traded blows, but soon descended into a whirl of furious slashing and parrying. The stakes were high, and the fighting furious, but neither man landed a genuine blow.

“Is that all you have? Are you a merchant by trade?!” I yelled above the racket. I knew only too well that our lack of numbers would kill us soon as long as the man before me stood, and wracked my brain for ways to gain an advantage. As the words left my mouth though I realised the lack of strength in my insult, but it seemed to have the desired effect as the Ikko let out a fierce roar and let rip in a torrent. As time passed my foe became increasingly incensed, and his strokes more irregular, each one meant to be a killing blow but lacking in accuracy. Reduced to countering his wild hacking, I had little choice but to wait as he exhausted himself.

Then, as he swung his blade to my left he lurched sideways on his horse. Sensing my opportunity, I thrust my katana forward into the gap in his armour, sending a mist of blood through the air. The blow would not be fatal, but encouraged by it my men began to drive the Ikko back.

“TONO!! Reinforcements have arrived!!”

I swung around sharply, causing my horse to rear and nearly throw me from it. Squinting my eyes I searched the horizon, and my heart jumped when I saw the unmistakable dark red. As the Takeda diamonds sailed through the mist, fluttering as they went, I found myself calling out to our unexpected saviour. Why had Masakage come? How could he have known? Why was there no mention in Harunobu’s correspondence? My brain swirled with questions but there would be no time to answer them now.

If I felt surprise at the sudden turn of events, then horror would not have been an inappropriate way to describe the Ikko. If they had fought with the belief that triumph was at hand, that belief was gone now. Lifted by the imminent reinforcements, our men fought with renewed vigour, and slowly regained the initiative. The ground was covered in the dead now, and both sides became mired in the slippery soil as blood flowed freely underfoot. Minutes later Masakage’s cavalry arrived and stampeded through the mass of melee, knocking over the Ikko and some of our men alike. While the long ride had all but eliminated the element of surprise, the ferocity of the attack overwhelmed the enemy nonetheless. Yari – usually such an effective weapon against horsemen – were summarily discarded in the mud as the Ikko turned to run.

My curiosity overcame me once we had given up the chase, and I sought to sooth it. Yamagata Masakage was brother to Obu Toramasa, and being one year apart in age we had grown up together in Kai, becoming good friends in the process. The timing of his entrance was impeccable, but entirely unexpected, and I demanded to know why.

“Nobushige-sama, you have enemies in the council. Toramasa questions your loyalty openly and-”

“What of my brother? What does he plan for if he refuses to supply the western front?” I had considered Toramasa a friend, but was evidently mistaken.

“We are no longer allied to the Imagawa. There is peace yet but surely it won’t be long before we move into Totomi and Mikawa.”

The logic in the conversation was unravelling like loose thread on a broken loom. I enquired further but deep down I suspected the reason for it all. The alpha male in my brother pained to be outdone by anyone, perhaps least of all by me, and our exploits here had triggered an urge to assert his authority. Breaking ties with the Imagawa now could not be called a smart move, but the breakdown in relations would have happened sooner or later given the clash of our ambitions. The latest news of the Uesugi was that the Northern provinces were mired in rebellion, and for that I was glad.

Celebratory songs of victory and home rang through the air as we began the march back to Kanazawa. We had survived lengthy odds, and had become stronger in the process having gained one the clan’s finest. Soon we would ride for Fukui castle and beyond, I thought, trying to visualise the plans that had to be made before the spring. As we began our march back to Kanazawa however I found my thoughts wandering back to something – or more truthfully someone – else entirely…

Campaign screens

Map

Diplomacy

Arts
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 09:45 AM.

XIX: The Kanazawa letters

1555 – Winter

Otousama,

I wish this letter finds you and mother in sound health. Is the cold climate troubling your back? Do the winds cause pains as previous years? Are mother and sister well? Have the peasantry paid their dues to us in time? Did Suruga see snow this winter? You must make sure the servants reserve enough fire wood for yourself and the family, and not allow them to succumb to the laziness they are so prone to.

I trust that your situation is preferable to mine. In this most inhospitable of seasons I am stranded at Kanazawa castle, a desolate plain far away from the family. There has been no snow, but frequent rain has caused flooding in the low areas around the castle, afflicting much trouble on our daily affairs. The creaky lump of wood that is the castle tenshu does little to shield one from the wind, and frosty gusts howl through the bare corridors with great frequency.

In response to our last correspondence, military achievement has been hard to come by lately. Despite the bravery I showed defending Kanazawa from the Ikko invaders last winter – arguably outshining our dear general himself – he has continued to place his trust – and our men – in far inferior hands. We Yamadera have been loyal to the Takeda since the Kamakura times, and have led the cavalry vanguard since many generations before. In all ways imaginable our great clan stands far above the Sanada of Shinano, who only joined our cause so they might wipe away the stain of defeat. Despite this the old corpse that is Yukitaka is still charged with leading the cavalry while I am shunned without reason.

The walking bag of arrogance that is Nobushige has departed for Echizen a week ago. If word from my servants is true then he has taken all but a hundred of our men – although it is my good fortune that he has taken that harlot Masako with him. He lectures me frequently on what he calls a sense of timing, yet the march on Echizen in the middle of a frigid winter would suggest he has little of it himself. His hypocrisy is particularly derisible given his repeated condemnation of my assault on Kanazawa for what he calls “lack of forward thinking”. I struggle to understand the forward thinking responsible for him asking our men to march through the snow.

Otousama, I think you’ll agree that there is no small element of jealousy at play.

At present your son is left with only a handful of the old and injured. Nobushige did not deem these men fit to march on Fukui castle, yet I must put my trust in them to maintain a semblance of order as unrest simmers all around. Even after the last battle against the Ikko, and the best efforts of good Buddhist monks, the stubborn populace cling to their vile Ikko beliefs, opposing our rule. I am grateful for the opportunity to prove that I am an able administrator of this godforsaken province, even if such a fate is far less preferable than leading troops in battle. I only fear that any feats thus achieved would only fall on deaf ears.

Before his departure Nobushige announced a year-long suspension in the collection of taxes, but all that has achieved is prolong our dependence on food supplies from Etchu, and cause paucity among those of us unfortunate enough to remain here. Our last few meals have alternated between two varieties of food usually reserved for the marching army. On even days we have rice, daikon radish and salted ume, while on odd days it is the vile broth with boiled strips of millet dough – supposedly Harunobu-sama uses it to feed his ashigaru. If I do not see more variety in my diet soon I fear I will lose my sanity.

Nonetheless, despite all the trying circumstances, being the good son of yours that I am I remain in service to this man, and does faithfully as he asks. I only fear that my best years are being wasted rotting away in a castle rather than slaying enemies in battle. I long to bring honour to the Yamadera name in battle, but have had no opportunity to do so. The arrival of Yamagata Masakage will surely further reduce my participation in battle, even if Masakage now leads the antiquated curiosity that is the horse archer unit. Each day that passes with my trapped in this cursed castle makes the voices in my head wonder louder whether my talents are better served elsewhere. The Uesugi perhaps? I hear Kagetora has a healthy appreciation for good generals.

I will try to visit Suruga when the winter passes. Please send my regards to the family.

Your obedient son, as always,

Takanaga

My son,

As always it is good to hear from you. The winter has been kind to us here in Suruga, and snow has fallen but sporadically. I have heard the Ikko castles are ill constructed and do not offer the same protection as ours or those of the Hojo. As I write this your mother is arranging for warm clothing to be sent by the fastest couriers. Knowing your mother, I am confident you will receive much more than that in your parcel.

We are well, although there is sadly little that can be done for my back now. Still, with the aid of a cane I am able to navigate myself ably without aid, which pleases me considerably. A rich rice merchant from Sagami has asked for your sister in marriage, and we have approved for the right ceremonies to be held in the spring. She is happy at the decision, and should look forward to a good comfortable life. I will ensure you meet the groom when you return from Kaga in the spring.

The agricultural reforms have progressed well in Suruga, just as they had done in Shinano and Sagami, and our tenants paid us their dues well in advance of the deadline. Even after submitting the rice tax the crop they were able to keep has increased two-fold compared to last year. Thanks to the generous return from our lands the harvest was a joyous time for all, and the family hosted a great feast in honour of the gods. Our tenants enjoyed the occasion and promised us that they would redouble their efforts in the coming year. There is no reason for you to be concerned for our wellbeing, son. Our attendants are diligent as ever, in no small part thanks to being well fed, I think.

I must inform you that unlike previous letters, I burnt your latest immediately after it was read. It alarms me greatly that you do not think of facing the challenges you face bravely, but of treachery and betrayal. My grandfather led Takeda troops into battle, as did his grandfather before him, and one day you will do. Nonetheless there is much for you to learn about leading men, and you must retain a humble heart and listen to the more seasoned men around you. Heed their advice, and you will learn much. Instead of clamouring to gain “honour”, consider how you may better your own skill. Be patient, and the good things will come. In Nobushige-sama, Yukitaka-dono and Masakage you have three men whose courage and skill in battle are unmatched among the clan, and you would gain much by learning from them.

You would do well to heed the criticisms of others, my son. Patience is not one of your virtues, and is something you must be mindful of in the future. The humiliation you had me suffer when you encouraged the storming of Mishima castle at such cost is fresh in my memory, which makes the news of Kanazawa all the more galling. If you had not attacked Kanazawa so hastily then your bravery defending it would have not been required, and so many of our men would not have died that day. Perhaps I have only myself to blame, for it can only be my leniency which bred such arrogance in you. If you wish to bring honour to the Yamadera name then you should start by not shaming it through acting upon your impulses.

Your mother and I are proud of your achievements. You must remember that this depends not on your vocation but only that you discharge it to the best of your ability. You must however always remember not to act the whim of your urges. If you do, I have confidence that you will yet distinguish yourself in the Takeda ranks.

Do send word in advance of your return so your mother and I could make the appropriate arrangements. May the spring come with haste.

Your father,

Yamadera Nobuaki

Campaign screens

Map

Diplomacy

Arts
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 09:48 AM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XIX uploaded - Nov 24)

This story is going strong indeed. And I have to say that the two letters were masterfully crafted! I really liked the tone, it was quite authentic. Very well done!

Very nice AAR, hope I can manage to make one as good as this someday
    It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    This story is going strong indeed. And I have to say that the two letters were masterfully crafted! I really liked the tone, it was quite authentic. Very well done!
    Thanks for following! Yea the letters took a lot of tweaking..glad I got it almost right in the end

Quote Originally Posted by Vassilli View Post
    Very nice AAR, hope I can manage to make one as good as this someday
    Thanks! You should give it a try. There's a lot of tips on how to write AARs in the Critic's Quill if you're interested

XX: Of heart and minds

1556 – Summer

“Nobushige-sama, Enough brave men and innocent common folk have died thanks to our conflicts. I of the Ikko Ikki have come to seek peace between our people.”

I sat silently at the head of the council while the generals looked on with astonishment and anger in equal parts. As the monk recited his request the old scar on my shoulder twitched, as if to remind me of its source. Yukitaka and several others clasped their weapons, only sitting back when they saw I had no intention of sanctioning an attack. If it were not for the honour of diplomacy no doubt the Ikko dog before us would long have been sent to the dark lonely place we had condemned so many of his brethren.

“Return to your master, and tell him we desire peace, but only on our terms. Too many good Takeda men have met their untimely ends thanks to the violence that your people have provoked, and his hands are stained with the blood of each. Tell him that only the demise of his clan and the death of his person would cleanse his sins and serve to sooth the suffering of our people.”

Otsu castle was a modest, ramshackle affair compared to Kanazawa and Fukui. The walls were short and instead of the binge of overlapping towers we had seen there, here there were but two simple wooden contraptions. Although our enemies were not short of numbers, they were the ones facing long odds now. News from the scouts revealed that at fourteen hundred men the Ikko were merely a hundred short of our number, but the defenders consisted mostly of fresh recruits and conscripted peasantry. I was confident there would be no escape from this, and the last of the Ikko Ikki would fall today. In the short space of two years we had gone from desperately defending Toyama castle to standing over the Ikko’s last meaningful outpost in the Kansai. This would be over quickly, I thought, as long as we did not allow the confidence of victory cloud our judgement.

Taking Fukui castle in the winter had been a boon for us. Takanaga and a few others had objected to marching in the winter, but conditions were good for the most part as we made swift progress across Echizen. The only piece of adverse weather actually served to help us as heavy snow disguised our arrival beneath the castle walls. The Ikko – or what there was of them – were taken by surprise by the army which stood before them as the snow cleared, and the losses we sustained during the assault were minimal. Echizen was almost as fertile as Kaga, and the winter supplies the Ikko had readied for themselves now served us well. Half of it was sent to subsidise Kanazawa, and half was distributed among the troops, much to their delight. A combination of intimidation, indoctrination from Fuyutsugu’s monks as well as tax reductions had helped to keep the Echizen populace under check, meaning we were ready to move on again as spring turned into summer. I had been to Lake Biwa once as a child, but the famous sights did not disappoint as we marched through picturesque surroundings. The mood among the men was more suited to a festive procession than an army on the march, and even Yukitaka and Masakage appeared to be more relaxed than usual. Despite this we maintained good discipline and a healthy pace, arriving at Otsu castle a little over three weeks after our departure from Echizen. I had promised fiefs along the lake to the best performers in battle, and the men were in high spirits as we lined up – no doubt eager to claim their new real estate.

Once the last company of yari were stood in formation I ordered the men forward. The moat was a poor attempt at diverting a nearby river, and by cramming into a bend on the southeast corner we were able to make a landing relatively unscathed. I had been concerned by our lack of numerical advantage, but such worry was short lived as the woefully inaccurate arrows from the castle walls fell far short of our position. Soon our archers were returning fire as blazing trails of smoke and fire homed in on their targets, triggering a sea of savage screams from within the walls.

The initial skirmish continued late into the morning. We had taken some hundred losses, but I was confident the damage done to our enemy was far greater. By noon, the arrow fire from within the castle had weakened, and I waved the nearest company of ashigaru forward. Before long a sea of red cascaded towards the castle walls, and our attack on the castle began in earnest. Our approach had unfolded according to plan, and as the ashigaru began their assault of the east side, the Shinano samurai – whom I had held back until now – cross the moat on the south side and began advancing towards the castle’s southern walls. Seeing the ashigaru reach the walls I urged my mount forward, shouting words of encouragement as they made good progress upwards. Inside the castle I could hear the shouting of the Ikko as our enemy readied themselves for the assault to come.

The first men to launch themselves over the walls invariably faced a jungle of spears, but soon we were able to secure a foothold of sorts. Despite this, the Ikko fought valiantly, and we were pinned against the castle walls for far longer than I had anticipated. Meanwhile the clang of metal rang out from behind the castle walls as the melee rumbled on. It was only when the battle cry of the Shinano samurai rang out from the south side of the castle that our foe were caught in two minds, momentarily paralysed by the dilemma they faced. Still, it was almost a full hour later that we made any tangible progress. In their haste to cover both the eastern and southern walls, the Ikko had neglected to protect the southeastern corner, and it was here that the battle lines first bulged in our favour. Encouraged by the efforts of their comrades and aided by an increasing number of our troops in the castle courtyard, the tide of battle turned in our favour.

As I scaled the walls at the head of my bodyguard, a great cry was heard. In his rush to relieve his men the Ikko general had charged headlong into a crowd of gleefully waiting yari. One of our ashigaru had skewered his horse, causing the beast to rise and throw him from his mount. I vaulted myself over the walls just in time to see the source of our troubles disappear beneath a jumble of blades. Now that their general had fallen surely the inexperience of the Ikko would be quickly exposed, I thought.

I thought wrong. Any hopes that the Ikko would falter upon the death of their general were misplaced. Peasantry made for poor warriors, but their extreme religious zeal had poisoned their minds. Each man in orange was ready to die rather than surrender to us, and despite our overwhelming advantage it was yet another hour before we could finally claim victory. The courtyard fell silent as the last Ikko was cut down, the only sounds coming from the winds billowing across the courtyard. None of our men spoke a word – both exhausted from the physical exertion and shocked by the extent of the bloodshed. We had taken relatively few casualties during the battle, but the same could not have been said of the Ikko, who were utterly annihilated to the last. Bodies were littered in heaps across the courtyard, discarded where they had fallen and staining the earthen courtyard. We stepped over the jumble of severed limbs and broken weapons as we made our way across to the tenshu, and I watched grimly as the men lined up to bring down the entrance. Would there be a final stand by those who had occupied the tenshu? Would we need to fight floor to floor like at Mishima?

“One...two...charge!!!”

The wooden boards of the entrance collapsed with a loud crash and the men who had acted as battering rams fell in behind it. Standing a short distance behind them we steeled ourselves, weapons at the ready. Neither a word was spoken nor a limb moved as we peered into the dark corridors.

Nothing.

Yukitaka and Masakage had joined me at this point, and we edged forward together with blades in hand. The silence was as unnerving as it was ghostly, broken only by wooden boards creaking under foot. As we entered into what must have been the meeting hall of the castle though, each of us staggered backwards in shock, frozen still by the chilling scenes before us. Strewn across the floor of the room was a tangled, gory mess. Robes of varying hues had been stained dark red by dried blood that had caked in patches. The smell of blood and entrails filled our noses, and several of the men behind us covered their noses, using whatever rag of linen they had to save themselves from nausea.

As we made our way across the hall, the gravitas of the situation dawned upon us. We had marched past several deserted villages upon entering Echizen, and it was now apparent where the occupants of the empty homes had gone. Men, women and children alike now lay at our feet, dead by their own hands. Rather than submit their fate to us they had preferred to meet their end in an orgy of suicide. The mangled corpses told of their final moments - brothers impaling themselves on each other’s swords, fathers cutting their stomachs where they had murdered their families. Most of the womenfolk had died by their loved ones, but others had simply stabbed themselves in the heart. A young mother lay in one corner, blood still oozing from where the blade had pierced her chest. Her lifeless eyes were half open, staring motionlessly at the child in her arms. It too was dead, life squeezed from it perhaps moments before its mother took her own.

This was not how it was supposed to be. We had fought to liberate people like these from the false truths of the Ikko faith, yet all we achieved was to drive them to their deaths...

Yukitaka and Masakage were the only ones who joined me on the second storey of the tenshu while the ashigaru worked to clear the hall below. As we climbed the stench of death was replaced by the fragrance of burning incense, much to our relief. In the throne room we were greeted with the sight we had longed to see since the day hostilities began, yet it gave us little satisfaction now. Shimozuma Yasunobu – father of Shimozuma Jutsurai and head of the Ikko’s vile cult – had chosen to take his own life. He had cut himself open with his tanto, and his entrails spilled forth in a puddle before him. Behind the old corpse a poem was still legible on the wall even as the blood it was written in crept slowly downwards.

The illusion of summer,
    My heart bleeds,
    My mind lives on

Campaign screens

Map

Diplomacy

Arts
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 09:56 AM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XX uploaded - Nov 27)

sweeet new update!
    Thats pretty grim stuff, but is that all of the Ikko's provinces gone or do they have more?
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimecraft View Post
    sweeet new update!
    Thats pretty grim stuff, but is that all of the Ikko's provinces gone or do they have more?
    Thanks!

I just put up the campaign screens. The Ikko still have Iga, but it's town with a no buildings and no troops, so for all purposes they are finished. There is one more story to tell with these Ikko

Civis

I'm not gonna lie, after reading that i almost felt bad for urging you to destroy the Ikko-Ikki earlier. Doesn't help I visualize everything as i read either, or that i've read about this sort of thing happening a few times during the Sengoku period. That being said keep it up, you clearly know how to tell a story!

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Thanks!

I just put up the campaign screens. The Ikko still have Iga, but it's town with a no buildings and no troops, so for all purposes they are finished. There is one more story to tell with these Ikko
    haha sounds like a well deserved victory. I await it eagerly. finish these snakes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099 View Post
    I'm not gonna lie, after reading that i almost felt bad for urging you to destroy the Ikko-Ikki earlier. Doesn't help I visualize everything as i read either, or that i've read about this sort of thing happening a few times during the Sengoku period. That being said keep it up, you clearly know how to tell a story!
    Yea it was inspired by the mass suicide at Tosho-ji after Nitta Yoshisada invaded Kamakura. Glad you liked it! Well you "almost" felt bad so we're all good

Quote Originally Posted by Grimecraft View Post
    haha sounds like a well deserved victory. I await it eagerly. finish these snakes!
    In good time sir, in good time. Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; November 27, 2011 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    Yea it was inspired by the mass suicide at Tosho-ji after Nitta Yoshisada invaded Kamakura. Glad you liked it! Well you "almost" felt bad so we're all good

In good time sir, in good time. Thanks for reading!
    Ooooooh now i'm waiting in suspense.

XXI: Home

1556 – Autumn

As I wandered around the castle courtyard a scene of diligence filled my vision. Rhythmic work songs rang out across the walls as workers heaved large stones this way and that, and men crossed my path in all directions carrying various materials. The repairs and expansion of Otsu castle had progressed well over the past months , and we should be able to finish the second kuruwa before winter. We would start work on a new tenshu in the new year, aiming to finish by the next harvest, I thought.

The people of Omi were surprisingly receptive to our rule despite the bloody end to our attack on the castle. The Asai had treated their people well, and those among the populace who had not been poisoned by the Ikko were glad to be rid of their presence. Takanaga had done a good job keeping order in Kaga and Echizen, and news of our generosity had helped to convince the people of Omi our character. Many of those who now lived here had fled the turmoil of Kyoto as the ancient capital crumbled in the chaos, and had been encouraged by our peaceful intentions. A general amnesty of religious and petty crimes committed under the Ikko helped to appease them, as did the tax reductions now customary for newly acquired lands.

A voice called out to me from behind, and I turned to see Hanzo – for once not in his black robes. The young ninja mirrored my greeting, but his muted response was a far cry from the boisterous lack of manners or humourless practical jokes I had almost come to expect from him. Concerned something was amiss I beckoned him to speak.

“Nobushige-sama. We stand on the border of Iga where remnants of the Ikko Ikki still roam unchecked. They are weak yet we make no move to rid them from the lands.”

I nodded, surprised Hanzo was so concerned about the backwater province hidden away in the mountains. His tone was soft and respectful and nothing alike his ferocity in battle and usual megalomania out of it.

“But… we should make a move before they grow strong again and are able to face us on equal terms.”

“We will march in the spring. The troops are tired, and our men are occupied with rebuilding the castle and applying our agricultural policies now.”

“Tono! We must save Iga from those vile snakes!”

The veracity of his response surprised me as I looked on. His arms were gesticulating furiously as he spoke, his voice verging on the frenetic. It was only moments later that I realised the source of his sudden burst of emotion. Over the past years the boy had become one of the us in just about every way, and had done everything together with myself and the generals. After the victory in Kaga he was celebrated among the troops for his brilliant stratagem, and for a moment his ties to Iga had slipped my mind entirely.

“Nobushige-sama,” Hanzo continued having regained some of his composure, “I have a request. I request to lead my band of countrymen to Iga. We will conquer it in your name.”

“And then what do you propose to do?”

“I will govern it well, and pay tribute on time every season.”

Hanzo bowed deeply once he finished his sentence, perhaps hoping that his show of submission would convince me of his intentions. He was a worthy warrior but one of barely twenty years nonetheless. The land he had just requested would have given him a fief larger than any among the council elders. We had gained much in the way of territory in recent years, and he had contributed much to our exploits, but this was beyond all expectations. A mix of bemusement and surprise filled me as I motioned for silence. His motivation was a noble one, but that made the request no less outrageous.

“Do you realise you are requesting the largest fief every granted by our clan? What kind of joke is this? I see you are eager to restore your homeland but this is ridiculous.”

“It is not a fief. It is… my home. Our home. Nobushige-sama my kinsmen and I long to return to rebuild Iga. We would be vassals to the Takeda.”

My voice was raised, but Hanzo did not match it. With his true intentions revealed, the boy’s voice trailed off as his confidence expired. Hanzo's head was held low now, awaiting my response. He would defeat what was left of the Ikko with few problems, but we had scant need for a vassal. The benefit of extra income would be dwarfed by the lack of control over a key part of the Kansai region. The possibility of treachery while our attention was elsewhere also weighed on my mind. Hanzo had been a positive influence on our fortunes, and had taught our men much in the art of night battles, but ruling out the risk of betrayal would have been foolish. In any case giving away such a large piece of land was contrary to our ambitions.

Nobushige-sama, you have enemies in the council. Toramasa questions your loyalty openly and…

Masakage’s voice reverberated inside my head. At the time his words were spoken with so little consequences intended, yet by choosing to resurface at this most poignant of junctures they succeeded in reminding me of my single lingering worry. Maybe if…

“Tell me, how would you govern Iga should you take it?”

“The people of Iga had always wanted peace for its people. The tribulations of daimyos were of little concern to us. My father had envisioned a state where all men had equal voice in the affairs of our people – there would be a council of sorts, chosen from the families of Iga, and decisions would be made by the accord of such a council.” Hanzo looked at me with hope in his eyes, perhaps sensing the change in my tone.

Give our glorious clan your loyalty, son, despite what has transpired. United we Takeda have the will and means to silence all who oppose us. Divided we would only become carrion for the birds in the sky…

As the words flashed by, I froze as my consciousness was taken to a place most unlike the present. I saw no longer the courtyard of Otsu castle but the outskirts of Kofu on that fateful day all those years ago. I had left town to acquire horses in Shinano, and received the letter from a simple messenger. Father’s words were as maddening as they were poignant, and I remember scoffing at the grave tone of the letter. Little did I know that would be the last I ever heard from him…

“See to it that your men are adequate supplied. You will pledge your loyalty to my brother in the presence of the Takebe Taisha priest tomorrow – once you are ready you may leave for Iga.”

Hanzo’s eyes widened with unabashed joy, and for a moment I caught a glimpse of the child we found along Shinano River. There would be no way of knowing whether the decision I was making would be brilliant or terrible, but watching the urgency in his step as he made his leave brought a smile to my face. Iga was a poor province, and owning it would not have given us what Omi could not, so perhaps this was indeed for the best. War with the Imagawa would not be far off now, and the clan could ill afford Harunobu being preoccupied with sibling rivalry. If the honour he attains through gaining a vassal appeases his competitive nature then so be it.

“Rokaku ikki…”

Hanzo played with the phrase in his head. The simple words had been the last ones spoken between Nobushige-sama and himself, and it represented everything he had in mind for his homeland. The concept had been his father’s dream before it was his, but now he was closer than ever to realising it. Hanzo rubbed his eyes as the thought of his father, fearful that the faint recollections of his childhood would bring a tear. Barely a hundred men – mostly family of his band of ninja – had come to welcome them as they crossed the border from Omi, but they were enough to remind him of what was at stake. Many challenges lay ahead, but with the might of the Takeda clan at his back and the determination of his men at his side, Hanzo was confident he would succeed in reviving the fortunes of his homeland.

The last four years drifted in and out of Hanzo's mind. He had learnt not only to become a better fighter, but to become a man trained in the discipline of the Takeda ranks. He had also learned their way of organising both peace and war, and witnessed the might of the Takeda cavalry charge without being skewered by one. There was no doubt he owed a great debt to Nobushige-sama, Hanzo thought, vowing to exhaust all means to repay it. Despite this he was more ambivalent towards the Takeda clan at large – who may still one day covet Iga lands for themselves; or Harunobu, the supposed all conquering daimyo he had never met. Iga was weak now having suffered the treachery of first the Imagawa then the Ikko Ikki, but one day it would be strong again, Hanzo told himself. The Imagawa who had murdered so many of his family still stood, and he hoped once Iga was rebuilt there will still be time to play a part in their demise.

Hanzo rode on in silence as the small band of men pressed on. The silhouette of Ueno castle was visible now, beckoning to him just as a mother does to her children. The Ikko Ikki were on their last legs now, and would not take much to displace. Once that was done the real work could start.

“Rokaku ikki...”

“Iga no rokaku ikki…”

Campaign screens

Map

Diplomacy

Arts
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 10:03 AM.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXI uploaded - Dec 1)

The Hattori Hanzo Arc begins! W00t!

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII