Page 24 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1415161718192021222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter LV uploaded - Nov 20)

Decisive battle? Kawanakajima?

Yeah right. All this will be indecisive and maybe one or two characters in the story dying.

But unlike history, Robin has the chance to either parrot history OR make an interesting turn that would either see one of the greatest hegemons right now in this story dying. (With melodramatic screaming from Naoe while Kenshin pats his head to reassure him all is well... )

(I guess Date didnt make it. Groan.

PS. Maybe start referring to Takeda Shingen as Minamoto Harunobu? And Nobushige needs a court title, oh and cameo scene for the emperor.)

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Clichéd, maybe. But sometimes that is good . For this time, I am sure it will prove to be so .

Now silence Erwin and let the words of Furinkazan(!!!!!!) sound across the realm!

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

The end is just beginning, and something tells me it isn't all going to go to plan.

Great work, I think you nailed it. +rep
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Nice update! I always like when your write about the Takeda from a different clan's perspective, as their limited perspective adds a lot to the balance of the story.
    Well-written letter too. I wonder what comes now.

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    Decisive battle? Kawanakajima?

Yeah right. All this will be indecisive and maybe one or two characters in the story dying.

But unlike history, Robin has the chance to either parrot history OR make an interesting turn that would either see one of the greatest hegemons right now in this story dying. (With melodramatic screaming from Naoe while Kenshin pats his head to reassure him all is well... )

(I guess Date didnt make it. Groan.

PS. Maybe start referring to Takeda Shingen as Minamoto Harunobu? And Nobushige needs a court title, oh and cameo scene for the emperor.)
    Decisive? Where did I use that word?

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    Clichéd, maybe. But sometimes that is good . For this time, I am sure it will prove to be so .

Now silence Erwin and let the words of Furinkazan(!!!!!!) sound across the realm!
    I'm quite aware of the potential for cliché - so hopefully will be able to avoid it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    The end is just beginning, and something tells me it isn't all going to go to plan.

Great work, I think you nailed it. +rep
    Thank you. About time you wrote your chapter too.

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Nice update! I always like when your write about the Takeda from a different clan's perspective, as their limited perspective adds a lot to the balance of the story.
    Well-written letter too. I wonder what comes now.
    I've decided to take a leaf out of your book...and write a interlude chapter.

thanks you as always
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Civis

"The board is set..the pieces are moving.

..We come to it at last"

And thus begins the last great conflict of the Sengoku Era.. well, Robinzx's Sengoku era

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Robin! I have just started reading this amazing AAR! I must say your brilliant at writing!

Oh and your AAR has inspired me to buy Shogun 2! Hopefuly after my English AAR I can try a Shigun AAR. Not Takeda of course but maybe one of the other clans will take my likeing!

Question to those that have Shogun 2. Does it work on Mac?

Thanks

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099 View Post
    "The board is set..the pieces are moving.

..We come to it at last"

And thus begins the last great conflict of the Sengoku Era.. well, Robinzx's Sengoku era
    Indeed. The end is nigh. Heads will roll and blood will flow in rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Robin! I have just started reading this amazing AAR! I must say your brilliant at writing!

Oh and your AAR has inspired me to buy Shogun 2! Hopefuly after my English AAR I can try a Shigun AAR. Not Takeda of course but maybe one of the other clans will take my likeing!

Question to those that have Shogun 2. Does it work on Mac?

Thanks

Tigellinus
    Thanks for the comment.

It's a great compliment that my story influenced you to do that. Hopefully the ending will make it worthwhile for you. It'd make me very happy to see you write a S2 AAR

I was hoping to update this weekend, but it looks more like next week now.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Reading more of it now.I get paid tomorrow night so I will get it Wednesday

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Chapter LVI: Hachimanbara

1565 – Spring

The air was still chilly early in the morning, and as his horse took him forward Takamasa couldn’t help but blow into his hands to keep warm. They had marched since daybreak, and mist could still be seen hanging low in the valleys up ahead, shining a brilliant silver under the morning light. All around the first blossoms of Spring were already in bloom, edging away the frigid grey that was reminiscent of the winter that had just passed. To the right the Saigawa River was full to the brim thanks to the recent rains, and the water gushed in torrents, the noise only exceeded by the crunch of foliage under foot.

The rich red of Takeda colours stood in sharp contrast to the pastel scenery, and birds scattered as the sea of horses and armed men cut across the countryside. Most of the infantry were chosen from the Kanto regiments, while the cavalry – including Takamasa’s own – were mostly from the western army. Despite the picturesque scenes not a soul spoke, as was the norm in the Takeda army. This day more than any other the martial discipline that characterised the clan would be needed. Most of the men who were chosen had been on campaign for at least a decade now, and he was confident that each man knew his purpose. As the journey continued, Takamasa regurgitated Shingen-sama’s stirring words spoken before the army had set out. Many others must have been doing the same, he mused. The Takeda daimyo had spoken of the enemy only minimally, instead choosing to remind the Takeda of their roots – of their heritage as horsemen, of their ancestors’ glories fighting as the vanguard of the Minamoto, of the responsibility the present army held to their past and the duty each were bound to. Fight as if the man to your left was our brother, and the man to your right as your best friend, Shingen-sama had said, fight as one and the Uesugi would be defeated. The test that lay before them was great, but Takamasa felt a quiet confidence within him.

Hanami had been a fruitful time. The officers were given leave, so he was able to see his family for the first time in several years. Seeing his parents vastly more aged than he had remembered was cause for much chagrin, but it was evident his rise within the army had brought much pride to them and the Mochizuki clan at large. Instead of the dilapidated hovel they lived in during his childhood, they now had a mansion to call their own in the vicinity of Osaka castle. His father’s suggestion that he find Takamasa a nice girl had left him red-faced. Lady Masako had asked him once while they were at Otsu Castle, but that day her light-hearted demeanour had allowed him to deflect it as a mere joke. In truth he had grown so accustomed to the campaigning that he rarely thought of his life should there one day be peace.

Following the Saigawa River, it was late afternoon when the army arrived at their appointed destination on Mushikurayama. The hills surrounding the camp offered a view of the Hachimanbara plains where the Saigawa and Chikumgawa rivers joined. Being gently sloped on the south side but lined with treacherous cliffs to the north, it served as the perfect position for the army to ready itself for the battle ahead. Takamasa had few belongings with him, having grown accustomed to travelling light with the western army, and resorted to watching the men as they gathered round to set up camp. All around the scenes of quiet industry reminded him again of times past. He himself had done this many times as a lowly ashigaru, he reminisced.

“Takamasa-sama! The council meeting will start shortly. Nobushige-sama requests your presence.”

Takamasa turned to see a messenger bowed beside his horse. Although he was far from being eligible for a seat on the council, there was occasionally various attendants who were present as observers. Nobushige-sama had asked for his attendance regularly lately, and for his part Takamasa was glad for the opportunity to observe and learn the ways of the great generals. He thanked the messenger and turned his horse in the direction of the main tent.

“Masakage-tono, set up patrols around the hills that look over Hachimanbara so that we may be alerted of the enemy’s movements.”

The council meeting had already begun when Takamasa arrived. As he took his seat behind Nobushige-sama, orders were already being handed out to the various generals – so that the men would be ready when the Uesugi materialised from the north. He himself would report to Masakage-sama when the meeting was over to assume his customary role at the head of the patrols.

“Shingen-sama, we should ambush the Uesugi as they arrive. No doubt they will try to settle at Zenkoji or the surrounding foothills. We should seize the initiative in any way we can!”

It was Nobufusa-sama. The head of the Baba house was a mountain of a man, and towered above all others even in his sitting position. Murmurs of both agreement and dissention could be heard among those in attendance, but before the daimyo could respond another man raised a hand and offered his opinion.

“Nobufusa-sama, your intention is wise, but your method is sadly less impressive. The land surrounding Zenkoji is flat like paper, and sending thousands of men in its direction would surely be noticed in the light of day. I propose we allow them into Zenkoji, and then launch an attack at night. The fools would never see it coming.”

Takamasa nodded in agreement. Physically unimpressive, Yamamoto Kansuke was the complete anti-thesis of the prior speaker. The man was born of the Imagawa clan, but upon his defection his vast intellect gained him the respect of the other clan elders, quickly ascending to his current position as the army’s chief gunshi. Shifting his eyes to Shingen-sama, Takamasa watched as his daimyo cleared his throat and readied himself to speak.

“Thank you both for your suggestions. In any other instance these would be excellent suggestions, but not this time.”

Once again there were murmurs among the gathered generals. Takamasa felt his heart sink a little – Nobushige-sama had once spoken of Shingen-sama’s “unhealthy obsession with perfection” when it came to the Uesugi daimyo, and although his mentor was quick to retract his words, it seemed those words were not without merit. Takamasa had found him impressed by Kansuke’s stratagem, so to see it rejected out of hand was cause for some surprise.

“We must defeat the Uesugi, but for there to be any hope of lasting peace after this battle, we must defeat our enemies absolutely so that they may not harbour any misguided hope of retaliation. Causing the enemy to scatter into the night would not help us achieve our goals, instead merely distance us from it. The Uesugi must be crushed utterly, and Kenshin himself must fall.”

“But-“, it was Kansuke again, speaking despite his daimyo’s obvious displeasure, “all the talk in the world would not help us if we do not defeat the Uesugi. In any case there is no guarantee that the Uesugi would not use treachery against us. Even if Kensin is of sound character, there is nothing that speaks for those surrounding him!”

Takamasa watched tensely as the two men stared silently each other, neither willing to back down. The rest of the council looked on too, but none were ready to insert themselves into the disagreement. Both men were known for the strength of their will, and interjecting now would likely simply incur the fury of both men. The rustle of leaves outside could be heard as the impasse held fast.

“…as you wish, Shingen-sama, though I do have several suggestions on how to defeat the Kuruma Gakari in its own element, if you’d like to hear them.”

“Thank you, Kansuke-tono, and yes, speak your mind as you always have.”

The council collectively breathed a heavy sigh of relief as the awkward minute drew to a conclusion. The brief display of obstinacy from both men was hardly surprising considering their character, but the urgency of the situation seemed to heighten the sensitivities of all involved. Presently the two dozen men inside the daimyo’s tent listened intently as words flourished from the mouth of one Yamamoto Kansuke. Heads nodded with regularity in all quarters of the congregation, and small wooden blocks were moved with great fervour about a map of the surrounding plains. The consequence of the forthcoming battle was lost on nobody, and few if any noticed the silhouettes of the trees outside as the shadows moved across the far wall.

By the time Takamasa left the daimyo’s tent darkness had already fallen. He had grown increasingly concerned at Nobushige-sama’s coughing as the meeting stretched into its third, fourth and perhaps even fifth hour, but his mentor had simply told him to mind his own business as the discussion continued. As he made his way towards his own quarters he could hear the men telling each other stories to pass the time. In a few days many of them would be dead, he knew, but like Shingen-sama had said these losses would be for the greater good. He remembered marvelling at Kansuke’s genius during the council meeting, and himself simply trying to learn as much as he could as Nobushige-sama, Nobufusa-sama and all the other generals gave their input. There was only the Uesugi who stood in the way of their ultimate glory now, and they must have their great generals too, but Takamasa felt sure the Takeda had enough in strength and depth to prevail. He himself had come a long way from being a simple country boy, and he – like all who stood around him – had sacrificed too much for all the effort to simply fade into the winds. They would because they had to, because the alternative was simply too terrible to fathom, Takamasa decided. In a moment of rare nostalgia he recalled the trepidation he felt on the first day of joining the western army on its march to Takayama, but all that felt somehow distant now. Most of those he enlisted with had long fallen in the various battle fields across the Kansai. He would fight on in their memory, he told himself, so that their sacrifices would not be in vain. The stakes were much higher now, with him being in charge of entire companies of cavalry, and he would fight to the death so that he may honour the trust placed in him by his mentor. He would fight so that, in Nobushige-sama’s words, his children and their children after them would have peace and not have to be embroiled in the mad life he lived today.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; December 17, 2012 at 09:47 AM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter LVI uploaded - Dec 16)

I love it as always, robinzx! You keep delivering even by my high expectations .

And now Takamasa is commanding Masakage around? Sounds a little a-historical

I really liked this update. It has such a nice and low rhythm, perfectly captured by the two aux shots. One can really feel the pre-battle atmosphere.
    (I really envy the landscape shots of Shogun 2.)

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

A great update as ever, I like how the 3 shots show a day in different stages, from light to dusk, and then nightfall - maybe foreshadowing a darker end to come?

The atmosphere you've created is excellent.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

You sir have a real gift

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    I love it as always, robinzx! You keep delivering even by my high expectations .

And now Takamasa is commanding Masakage around? Sounds a little a-historical
    Thank you. Hopefully the last few chapters will keep living up to your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    I really liked this update. It has such a nice and low rhythm, perfectly captured by the two aux shots. One can really feel the pre-battle atmosphere.
    (I really envy the landscape shots of Shogun 2.)
    Aye. I said I'd do an interlude chapter. Glad it worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot de Bodemloze View Post
    A great update as ever, I like how the 3 shots show a day in different stages, from light to dusk, and then nightfall - maybe foreshadowing a darker end to come?

The atmosphere you've created is excellent.
    Yea I tried to go for the progression of time with those images. Glad the meaning came across.

Darkness is everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant of Venice View Post
    You sir have a real gift
    Thank you sir.

Happy new year everyone!

Rex Basiliscus's Avatar Senator

Great AAR I have just stumbled upon it and I really like it so far. Great writing style, but I guess that's to be expected from a 'professor'

My only problem is the font, which is a bit hard to focus on when reading, but I guess you wouldn't be willing to change that now ... either way, I'll be here, when the next one is posted

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Basiliscus View Post
    Great AAR I have just stumbled upon it and I really like it so far. Great writing style, but I guess that's to be expected from a 'professor'

My only problem is the font, which is a bit hard to focus on when reading, but I guess you wouldn't be willing to change that now ... either way, I'll be here, when the next one is posted
    Thank you sir. About that professor thing..

Next update up shortly.

And here I thought there was an update..

Chapter LVII: Swords crossed

1565 – Spring

“Men of the Takeda, you stand here today because you are the best among our clan. Your glory stretches from the hills of Shinano to the foothills of Osaka castle, and your names are celebrated throughout our domains. We Takeda were weak once, confined to our ancestral home of Kai, but those days are past now. Thanks to you our lands extend far and wide, and our hegemony even further. The Hojo betrayed us as allies. The Imagawa were foolish enough to bring war to our lands. The unholy monks of the Ikko-Ikki, the Hatano, the Takaoka, the Shogun himself – each of these chose to raise their banners against us, but we could not be bested, and now their bones lie cold and forgotten. For that I salute you. I salute each of you for the sacrifices you have made, the bravery you have shown for us to be victorious.”

“EI!”

“I have fought all my life, as has my father before me, and his father before him, but now we have an opportunity to end this curse that ravages our land. Only one last clan stands between us and everlasting peace, my brothers. Many of us will not live to see this peace, but the legacy of a victory today will live on in our families, our sons and our women. Songs will be made of your bravery today, and your names will be celebrated as heroes!”

“EI!”

“The Uesugi are mighty, and in Kenshin they have a talented leader who calls himself the incarnation of Bishamonten. Respect them for their strength, men, for they have conquered many just like you. Respect them so that you may focus your strength and fight to the best of your ability. Respect them so that you may be the ones laying their souls to rest at the end of the day, and not vice versa. We have suffered many great sacrifices in the name of our clan. Many of our brothers have fallen so that we may stand here on this day to fulfil our purpose, so remember them as you march forth in the name of our clan. To be Takeda is to be brave, to be fearless, and it is time for you to grasp your destiny not as men but as gods of war. Fight hard, sons of the Takeda – my brothers. Fight for all that you hold dear. Fight like the tigers and lions you are and the fortunes shall be with us. The gods themselves will tremble at your might, and the Uesugi will fall!”

“OHHH!!”

The echo of my brother’s impassioned speech faded slowly over the sweeping hills we stood upon. To the right was the Chikumagawa River, and before us were the Hachimanbara plains that had been appointed as the site for this final battle. The men stood in utter silence now, but the sense of anticipation among all was palpable. The significance of the upcoming battle was lost on no one, and morale among the troops was as high as I’d ever remembered it. Looking down the long line of our men all the great Takeda families could be seen – the Baba, the Sanada, the Akiyama, the Hoshino, the Yamagata, the Obata – in each case the patriarchs rode proudly ahead of their men, sporting the colours of their clans. Behind them the sea of blood red armour shone brightly in the morning sky. Our plan – debated over many council sessions ever since this battle became a possibility – was beautiful if only for its simplicity. Rather than concern ourselves with Kenshin’s famed wheel formation, it was decided that we would stay true to our heritage, and make attack the best form of defence. The Kuruma Gakari focused its attacks upon the enemy’s centre, using sheer will and concentrated numbers to break down the enemy’s formation. Baba Nobufusa had volunteered to hold the centre, and with the best Sagami samurai at his disposal confidence was high the enemy advance could be held. Meanwhile the cavalry – led by Yukitaka and his sons on the left and Yamagata and Takamasa on the right – would seek to encircle the Uesugi formation, attacking it where it was weakest.

The Uesugi could barely be made out though the morning mist that hung idly over the plains, but there was no doubt over the strength of their numbers. Standing on a hill meant we could make out their rough shape, but little else besides. Presently the dark blue mass held itself stationary comfortably outside of arrow range, likely sharing our reticence against making any false moves. Our scouts had warned of a sizeable regiment of teppo gunners – no doubt supplied by the many merchants that frequented the Echigo shoreline. We would watch their movements carefully, I noted silently. Failing to do so could result in a disastrous and unnecessary loss of men. Standing motionless, neither we nor the Uesugi wished to initiate the conflict prematurely given the potentially disastrous consequences.

“Nobushige, I hope I have not failed my promise to you…”

I turned to the left, my eyes meeting a look of hope but also chagrin. Shortly after our arrival at Gifu castle – almost ten years ago now – he had promised he would lead us to glory in order to atone for the wrongs he had committed towards father and myself. I had almost forgotten the strange monologue which seemed out of place even then, and this reminder at the most poignant of times surprised me. I found myself sombre as I put my hand upon his shoulder.

“You’ll have my answer when the Uesugi are wiped from this field, Aniki, there is work to be done.”

We exchanged wry smiles, and both returned to watching the battlefield. Harunobu’s authority among the clan was unquestioned, and truth be told I could hardly claim to be capable of better. The atmosphere all around us was filled with tension and anticipation in equal measure. The men were silent, leaving the flapping of the multitude of banners to fill the eardrums of all around.

“It is time.”

I didn’t turn my head as I heard the words from my brother’s lips, maintaining my course towards my bodyguard who were stationed to the right of our formation. Watching the messengers march off with their orders, I gripped the hilt of my katana and ignored the steady dull pain that had been stewing in my midriff. The Uesugi were on the move too now, and soon the heirs to a century of war would be known to the world. Mounting my horse I watched as our archers made their way forward. Several regiments of yari followed in far closer proximity than had been the norm. Kansuke had warned the council of Kenshin’s tendency to advance his cavalry early in order to disrupt enemy missile fire, and this was evidently Nobufusa’s move in response.

An almighty din of colliding metal, grunts of exertion and screams of pain filled the air as the two waves of red and blue collided near our centre. From the back of my horse I could see the action as it unfolded, and could not help but admire the Uesugi for the clockwork nature of their organisation. Focusing their attacks on our centre, each regiment of men retreated just as the next was able to take their place. To the flanks of the Uesugi’s relatively narrow attack were the cavalry, although there we had an advantage thanks to our early deployment of yari. By the time the signal was given for the cavalry to advance, my bodyguard had joined Masakage and Takamasa on the right flank. The plains before us were flat and treeless, save for a small fishing village on the left river bank, and we broke into a gallop almost immediately, hoping to make up in speed what we lacked in surprise. Circling the Uesugi formation I could see the white banners that marked the Uesugi daimyo’s personal guard. Relatively weakly defended, it was there that I signalled for my bodyguard to attack. As we made our advance it was clear that Masakage had happened upon the same idea. No sooner had we found our new direction that a thunderous crack filled my eardrums.

Cursing audibly, I ducked as low as I could. A second ago the teppo were nowhere to be seen, but the damage they caused to our cavalry was undeniable. A quick glance to my right assured me that Masakage himself – and Takamasa – had both survived the sudden attack, but several behind them had been less fortunate. My heart skipped a beat seeing the closest gunner reload his weapon, but the fuse fell from his hands, and a second later we were upon the enemy line. Slashing from side to side, I hacked furiously away before another volley could be launched, and the other horsemen did likewise. A blow to the left relieved one gunner of his arms along with his weapon, and another to the right delivered the view of a severed neck. These men were lightly armoured, and any who had survived the initial impact soon died brutal, bloody deaths. Even as we decimated the Uesugi around us I kept my eyes trained on the white Bishamonten banner. Hoping to lessen our delay I shouted encouragement to the men as we carved through the enemy. Each second delayed lessened our chances of reaching the Uesugi daimyo, and in the corners of my eye I could see the enemy formation react to our intrusion.

“Nobushige-sama! We must turn back! There is nothing to be gained by pressing on here!”

It was Masakage. My heart sank at his words, reluctant to abandon the chase having come so close to what surely would have been a decisive moment in the battle. Looking around though it was clear his was the better judgement. Kenshin had manoeuvred scores of yari between him and us, and charging forth would have been a fool’s errand. Reluctantly I gave the signal to turn back, hoping to find another opening closer to our own formation. Just as I was turning however, a Uesugi yari found its mark below my knee. Howling in agony I swiped wildly at the assailant, sending his head flying several metres. Speeding on I could feel warm, sticky blood trickling down my leg, but the adrenaline coursing through my veins meant the pain was only a dull one for now. Seeing a gap in the enemy formation I urged my horse forward, and the rest of the cavalry followed closely behind. In amidst the carnage the image of Baba Nobufusa filled me with considerable surprise. The sight of him fending off several men at once was a common one, but the blood smeared across his figure surely meant his record of avoiding injury was surely at an end.

“Nobufusa-sama! Looks like I found you just in time!”

The great man-mountain turned in my direction, and parrying jabs from two assailants he yelled back in the affirmative. A great number of men were dead or dying upon the battlefield, but the balance of battle was still very much even. Turning northwards to face more of the enemy, for a moment I could see Kenshin in the distance. The Uesugi daimyo had a reputation for putting himself in harm’s way during battle, but even as he charged to and fro his composure and ability to direct battle remained uncompromised. Harunobu meanwhile remained sitting at the crest of the hill. As long as the mountain stood, the clan would not be defeated – such was the trust in Harunobu the saying had become a shared belief within our army. From above I imaged the battle to resemble a gigantic game of shogi, heaving from one direction to the next. The battle slowly edged away from our ranks and towards those of the Uesugi, but in truth there was little real progress to speak of despite the grave loss of men on both sides. From time to time it would seem as if one side had gained an advantage, only for the other to even the scales with attacks of their own.

HOOT-

It was only when the sound of horns blasted out across the terrain that I realised I could barely tell friend from foe in the failing light. Stars were already visible in the sky overhead, and only a sliver of pale pink on the western horizon spared us from total darkness. It wasn’t clear which side had signalled for the pause, but as the two sides disengaged nervously, exhaustion and relief was evident on the faces of all. We had stood up well to the Kuruma Gakari while inflicting significant losses upon the enemy, but the loss of our own men was significant. Nobufusa had endured his first wounds after several decades of fighting, and we had lost many high ranking samurai from the leading families.

Kenshin’s leadership of his men had been masterful, but I could help but feel the day had been an opportunity missed. While the Uesugi daimyo directed battle from the rear his army had been almost impenetrable, but once the flow of battle required his personal involvement we were able to find gaps where our cavalry was able to profit. The wound in my leg had managed to seal itself, but with adrenaline fading from my veins, the pain in my midriff was rather more noticeable. Just as I reached this epiphany of sorts I felt my stomach lurch. Clamping my mouth shut just in time I managed to keep the effluent within me, but the sour smell was unmistakable, and just one touch of my lips confirmed my worst suspicions. There would be no need for the others to know, I decided. There were far more important matters at hand, after all.

The Kuruma Gakari is strong only because Kenshin makes it so. If he could be engaged directly, then victory would surely be at hand…
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; January 20, 2013 at 04:43 AM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter LVII uploaded - Jan 14)

You know, I'm used to your writing being great, but this is magnificence unrivalled on these forums! Also the pictures, oh to behold such beauty.

Great chapter, mate. Incredibly so.