Page 13 of 27 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617181920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXV uploaded - Mar 9)

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    You have 3 cav units that I've never seen before. Are they in vanilla S2?

Other than great update yet again this AAR is really doing well!!
    The fire cav? They're part of the Sengoku DLC - and thanks!

Next chapter in a day or two.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXV uploaded - Mar 9)

XXXVI: An unexpected visitor

1559 – Winter

Takamasa wiped the snow from his brows. Gusts of icy wind sent shivers down his back, yet the joy of promotion warmed him from the inside. As the newest addition to the elite bodyguard he had just attended his first council meeting, and presently Yamagata Masakage – commander of the famed Takeda akazonae and right hand to Nobushige-sama – instructed him on the day’s tasks. As the pair made progress across the camp Takamasa could not help but notice the diminished levels of activity all around. Ashigaru on patrol marched in small groups, and among them those who hadn’t prepared for the cold could be seen jogging or hugging themselves attempting to keep warm. Clumps of men gathered around various tents, warming themselves in front of fires while talking about nothing in particular. Kii province was typically a mild place, but presently the western army was mired in particularly unforgiving winter. The effects of the adverse weather on the troops had become all too apparent.

“Takamasa, now that you’ve joined the bodyguard you will be expected to uphold the highest standards of honour and valour. You will defend your general with all your strength, and value his life above your own, for that is the duty of a bodyguard. I have sent word to your parents. They will be most honoured by your promotion so do not let them down.”

Takamasa nodded as the older samurai addressed him. The Mochizuki were a minor clan even in Shinano and ranked poorly among the mightier clans like the Suwa, Baba, or the Akiyama. It was a major coup for his family therefore when Nobushige-sama rewarded his capture of the Hatano general’s head with promotion directly into the bodyguard – an honour usually reserved for the elites among the akazonae. Even as another gust of icy wind sent chills through his core Takamasa gritted his teeth in steely determination. He would do his name proud, he promised himself quietly, even in dire conditions as these…

“Boy – you look unsure of yourself?”

Embarrassed that Masakage-sama had seen through his thoughts, Takamasa swallowed hard before turning to his mentor. He was unsure whether the question was appropriate but the warm demeanour of the older man gave him the encourage he needed.

“Why do we march against the Hatano amidst such a hostile winter? My father has always said the winter months are best avoided.”

“Your father is right, and if it were any other year the army would be encamped in Nara now, except at this time…” Masakage found him surprised by the younger’s question, and started angrily before quickly stopping to swallow his words. It would not be correct for the boy to know, he reasoned, “except now the Hatano must be crushed for their evils and it would not be wise to allow them the luxury of a season’s preparation.”

Takamasa opened his mouth once more, but thought better of pressing and held back his questions. As they reached the end of the camp Masakage bid him goodbye, leaving the young samurai to complete the short ride to his quarters. There was still time to rest a short while before reporting to his patrol, he calculated. As his horse paced forward Takamasa found himself reflecting on the recent months. The Mochizuki had experienced several months of poor finances and his enlistment in the western army had helped secure the customary exemption from taxation for his family. In the months that passed he’s had to endure a strict regimen at Otsu castle, but ultimately the training exercises paid off as he somewhat fortuitously slew the Hatano general. Takamasa remembered the moment vividly – from the fear of being overrun to the frantic melee – and decided that the sheer exhilaration of seeing the giant horse fall to its knees was surpassed only by Nobushige-sama’s sudden decision to promote him to the ranks of his bodyguard. In Nobushige-sama the western army had someone who had engineered impossible victories in the western provinces, and it would be an honour to serve in his bodyguard, Takamasa reflected.

“By the grace of Hachiman, our generals must be out of their minds, stationing us in this damned field. If the enemy don’t come and kill us the snow and ice will, I tell you!”

Takamasa’s thoughts were cut short by the rugged voice of a nearby ashigaru. As he looked towards the nearest tent a crowd of ashigaru entered his view. In the midst of the circle a rotund older man – perhaps twice his age – was sat lazily on the ground without his armour. This was clearly the one who had uttered the cowardly words, thought Takamasa. Even as he dismounted in anger he could hear the miscreant continue his tirade against their stay in Kii province.

“Who are you to question the wisdom of Nobushige-sama and the other generals? There are men who have led this army to many great victories – who are you to doubt their judgement?” Takamasa’s interjection was loud as it was fierce, and the crowd of ashigaru parted as they saw the approaching samurai. Some dispersed with their heads bowed, but most stayed, unsure what to make of the sudden intrusion. The young samurai’s shining armour told of his high rank, but the head propped on those shoulders was one of a youngster. Suddenly all eyes were on the older man as he struggled to pick himself off the ground. Squaring up to Takamasa, the rotund ashigaru launched another foul-mouthed tirade.

“Look here boy, I don’t fear you or your rank. You samurai don’t scare me – I followed the western army from Kai before it was even called as such, and I’ve fought in all of these battles you speak so fondly of. The Toyama castle battle, the defence of Kanazawa, taking Fukui and Otsu castles – I was there, fighting in the front lines. Nobushige-sama was a great man in those days, but he’s since forgotten that it’s us ashigaru who delivered him victory, and he’s leaving us here to die.”

Takamasa traded barbs with the poor excuse of a soldier before him. Incensed that a common ashigaru should be so insolent as to insult the great Nobushige-sama, he defended his position with vigour and vitriol in equal parts. These were trying times, but it would be a disaster if even the lowest ashigaru began to question their purpose. As the argument became more heated, expletives flew in both directions as the last vestiges of civility vanished into the frosty morning air. A crowd had gathered around the pair, meanwhile, eager to catch a glimpse of the unusual altercation.

“How many men have you killed boy? You speak so loudly of the western army, yet weren’t you still suckling from your mother’s bosom when it was formed?”

Rage swelled within Takamasa has the words left his adversary’s mouth, and as he curled his hand he felt the leather of his tekko straps. As his arm swung forth time seemed to slow momentarily, but it was quickly apparently that his opponent had been caught off guard. A pang of shame and regret washed through his core however when, as his fist connected with the scruffy ashigaru’s jaw, he heard the stern words of an all-too-familiar voice.

“Takamasa!!”

The latest scouting reports of the Hatano forces have once again come up empty, and while taking a scantily defended Wakayama castle was within reach, the expected loss of men would have weakened the army before the decisive battle against the main Hatano force which had remained somewhere in the western provinces. By remaining in Kii province I hoped to provoke the Hatano forces into an attack, but thus far that had proven fruitless at a considerable cost to the morale of the men.

I was steaming in my own frustration when the unexpected noise of a raucous fracas broke out outside my tent. The voices came thick and fast and the thin fabric covering the tents meant I was able to catch heard every word of the ridiculous dispute. Finally as the racket became harder and harder to overlook I slung an extra layer over shoulder before venturing into the cold. Surprise and amusement filled me as I exited the tent just in time to see the boy Takamasa plant a solid right hook into an ashigaru from the Kai yari. The boy's fiery demeanour was admirable, but he clearly hadn't learnt which tents belonged to whom in the camp.

“Nobushige-sama! That dirty peasant was questioning your authority as the head of the western army!”

Takamasa’s protests continued even as I beckoned him inside my tent. The boy’s ferocity reminded me of my early years and Harunobu’s more recent ones, and I could only chuckle as memories of those heady days battling in Shinano came back to me.

“The man you argued with – he is an ashigaru, not a peasant. I never knew him personally but he was from the Kai yari – part of the original army which marched with Harunobu and I from Tsutsujigasaki all those years ago. The man is right – for all the pride and prestige indulged by us samurai it is the likes of he – common ashigaru – who are the true sinews of war. As samurai you must learn to gain their respect, and allow them to support your endeavours. My brother has a favourite saying which you’d do well to learn from – the people are your castle, your stone walls and your moat. Protect them, and they shall protect you.”

“But… how dare that man question your wisdom! It would be disastrous for morale if the men all thought as he did.”

“He is right on that account too,” I sighed deeply before continuing in a different vein, “Takamasa – have you ever experienced loss?”

“Loss?”

Looking at Takamasa’s innocent, blinking eyes, I decided against explaining further. The servants had told of an uninvited visitor moments before, and I asked him to join me in the main tent.

“Nobushige-sama, it is a great honour to see you.”

The shrivelled old man before us bowed deeply, almost prostrating himself upon the straw mats. His clothing – hanging loosely over a bony frame – had been dampened by the constant snowfall, but the elaborate embroidery and sharp colours nonetheless told of fine tailoring available only to those of high rank. The man’s eyebrows were shaven and his hat was worn in the antiquated style of the old shoguns. Curiosity grew in me as I asked the man his purpose.

“Nobushige-sama, my name is Miyoshi Nagayoshi, and I come before you to present you with an offer...”

Nagayoshi… so he represents that puppet shogun in Kyoto who instigated the war against the Imagawa? What could he possibly want?

“The Takeda have grown mighty in recent years, and have rightly claimed Mino province as its own as favoured by the shogun’s good graces. However the shogun grows weary of the constant warfare that wracks his lands, and wishes to see peace. The Hatano have long been loyal to the might of the shogunate and Yoshiteru-sama would like to see all hostilities ended. You yourself, Nobushige-sama, would be handsomely rewarded for your loyalty to the establishment.”

“Nagayoshi-tono, is your shogun knowledgeable of why war rages? We Takeda wage war against the Hatano for nothing but righteousness. Should the shogun not question who is at fault before he brings judgements of peace?” I looked with anger at Nagayoshi who was clearly unaccustomed to rebuke – especially from one he undoubtedly viewed as inferior. Even as I spoke images of Masako's bleeding wound floated in and out of my consciousness, and I found myself speaking with diminishing composure, “tell your shogun that the Takeda cannot be bought with his dirty coin. Tell him that there shall be no peace with the Hatano unless every head of the Hatano family is delivered to me.”

Visibly indignant, the old courtier stood up and dusted himself off before clearing his throat in a most effeminate manner. What came next was almost a shrill of angry words not unlike the argument Takamasa had partaken in moments earlier.

“I had hoped you would be more amenable to reason than your brother, and am sorely disappointed at your lack good sense. If the Takeda continue to openly challenge the shogun’s authority in such a manner then he would have little alternative but to declare your kind as enemies of the state. You’d do well to reconsider my offer, Takeda Nobushige. I shall be waiting for your decision in Kyoto – you may send a messenger when you have come to your senses!”

“So be it. You could wait all you want – if I ever step foot in Kyoto it would be at the head of an army.”

I watched as the old skeleton left the camp shaking his fist at nothing in particular. I had vowed to avenge Masako’s suffering, and there was little chance of peace with the Hatano until their debt had been paid in blood. Should Nagayoshi’s words come to fruition we would be faced with hostilities on several fronts, but it was far from certain that the shogun would be able to exert such authority over the clans in the first place. The Chosokabe of Shikoku may acquiesce, but the Ito – dominant on distant Kyushu – were fervent in their worship of their own god and paid little attention to the emperor, much less the shogun. The Takaoka of Chugoku may yet pose a challenge, but they have been long term enemies of the Hatano so perhaps could be reasoned with. There was also the Honma who were still locked in battle against Kenshin’s forces in the north.

I would write to Harunobu to seek his opinion, I decided. I would ask him what we would do after the Hatano were no more.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 27, 2012 at 09:29 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXVI uploaded - Mar 17)

Great update

The level of description was amazing and I thought the switching to Takamasa was brilliant

I kind of felt sorry to him - he's so innocent, not understanding what has caused this campaign

One thing:

without his army
    Is that meant to be armour? :

Looking forward to seeing how this will all turn out

Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; March 17, 2012 at 05:33 AM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Great update, many feelings and stuff around. I like that .

Keep up the great work

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    Great update

The level of description was amazing and I thought the switching to Takamasa was brilliant

I kind of felt sorry to him - he's so innocent, not understanding what has caused this campaign
    Yea Takamasa's an interesting one. All I'll say is that he will have a big part to play in the future

One thing:

Is that meant to be armour? :
    massive face palm on my part. Correct along with a couple other minor things

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    Great update, many feelings and stuff around. I like that .

Keep up the great work
    Thanks!

Like I said this chapter was inspired by all the comments about how Nobushige's thirst for revenge can do no good for his men, so I'm glad it turned out well

I liked this chapter a lot and Takamasa is a n interesting new face.

I still think that Nobushige is acting rashly and without sense, first war with the Hatano and now angering the Shogunate. He has bitten off more than he can chew over a mere woman. This is without honour!
    Last edited by Grimecraft; March 18, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

Civis

Hehe I'm loving this turn of events, and to see Nobushige unleash his inner rage is actually kinda cool. Maybe not the smartest move to launch a winter campaign, but given the incident that spawned this war I hope it works out in the end..with Hatano becoming a mere footnote in the pages of history. also, the Shogun and his puppets!

As the old saying goes : "there is nothing more dangerous than a man who has something to fight for"

Quote Originally Posted by Grimecraft View Post
    I liked this chapter a lot and Takamasa is a n interesting new face.

I still think that Nobushige is acting rashly and without sense, first war with the Hatano and now angering the Shogunate. He has bitten off more than he can chew over a mere woman. This is without honour!
    Glad you liked it Takamasa's going to have quite a major role, so it's nice to see him well received I'm liking very much how everyone has different thoughts about Nobushige's turn of events

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099 View Post
    Hehe I'm loving this turn of events, and to see Nobushige unleash his inner rage is actually kinda cool. Maybe not the smartest move to launch a winter campaign, but given the incident that spawned this war I hope it works out in the end..with Hatano becoming a mere footnote in the pages of history. also, the Shogun and his puppets!

As the old saying goes : "there is nothing more dangerous than a man who has something to fight for"
    There's plenty more in terms of war with the Hatano, I'll say that much

The next chapter will be in the next 2-3 days. The FotS patch made steam download 25Gb of S2TW all over again and when that's eventually done I'll be spending some time playing the new game doing things like this

UPDATE: Having some technical difficulties with the game post FotS. Next update should be within another 1-2 days. Sorry about that guys
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 25, 2012 at 11:21 AM.

Now after a ridiculously long break, I finally caught up with this masterpiece!

I really like how your story progressed, and what is particularly great is how you slow down the campaign plot with detailed scene and character narratives. It has a nice back and forth rhythm, plus it is great for character development.
    And your pictures are really as great as they can get.

Having some technical difficulties with the game post FotS.
    You are not the only one it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Now after a ridiculously long break, I finally caught up with this masterpiece!

I really like how your story progressed, and what is particularly great is how you slow down the campaign plot with detailed scene and character narratives. It has a nice back and forth rhythm, plus it is great for character development.
    And your pictures are really as great as they can get.

You are not the only one it seems.
    Welcome back Yea I'm trying to tie a lot of the previous loose ends together, so I'm glad you think it's coming together well. As for the pictures that's really down to the game

Had a poke around and the technical issue has been resolved. Uploading the next chapter now - sorry for the lateness guys!
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 27, 2012 at 09:36 AM.

XXXVII: Five thousand

1560 – Spring

Death awaits.

The wait was over. Winter had allowed the Hatano a few months of undeserved respite, but with the arrival of spring these vile pests would surely have to meet us in battle, and to submit themselves to their appointed destiny…

“Nobushige-sama!!”

Takamasa stumbled into the main tent, managing eventually to keep his footing but little of his dignity. Even as I invited him to sit the crazed look of panic was apparent in between his eyes. The boy was known for moments of impulse, but the ashen look on his face surely meant more serious matters were at hand. The boy had been sent to collect news from the scouts – perhaps Hatano were staging an attack? Or had he simply argued with another group of ashigaru?

“Nobushige-sama! The scouts from Kawachi province have sent word of their findings. The main Hatano army are encamped near Fujidera castle and number over five thousand!”

I felt my head buzz softly at Takamasa’s words. Our most generous estimates of the Hatano’s military power had been around three thousand, and at five thousand they would stand over twice our number. Nonetheless in our favour was that the Hatano had remained loyal to the old methods of drafting men from the lands, meaning their army would consist mostly of ashigaru. The Kanto samurai from whom the western army drew its strength were men of unparalleled skill and savagery, and perhaps if they were able to sufficiently dent the enemy morale a victory was still within the realm of possibility. As I pondered our plan of action Takamasa sat perfectly still, his brows locked in thought. The boy had been involved with the army for the past year, or so he tells me, and had seen several minor battles. Perhaps this was the time when he would truly earn his spurs?

The Hatano must pay for their insolence. Their army of peasants will only be a burden as the worthless vermin turn tail to run. Vengeance will be mine…

“Takamasa, are you afraid of death?”

“Of course not!” The boy looked at me. Startled by my sudden question, he squirmed uncomfortably before steadying himself and producing an answer of admirable assuredness. I chuckled, amused but suitably impressed by his determination. At that moment Masakage entered the tent, bowing with the same urgency as Takamasa moments earlier. Before he had the chance to begin however I elected to announce my decision.

“We march in the morning and meet the Hatano at Fujidera castle. It is time for battle.”

It was not the answer he wanted to hear, that much was certain.

Our ride from Nara was a short one, and was accompanied by the chirping of song birds and flower blossoms floating through the morning air. The vibrant shades of green and pink made a refreshing difference from the dreary tedium of winter, and the men marched in high spirits. Masakage had opposed facing the Hatano in open battle vehemently, but eventually relented that the alternative of leaving Omi and Iga exposed would be worse. At the head of the army, my mind was far from any thought of tactics though, instead transfixed on the latest letters from Otsu castle concerning Masako’s health. While her condition had largely stabilised, the depth of the wound and several bouts of illness arising from various complications had left her bedridden throughout the winter, much to my consternation.

“Tono! The enemy are in sight!”

My train of thought was broken by a shout from one among the bodyguard. Looking ahead, I felt a chill flash through my spine. While the men spread out in formation I scanned the horizon, and everywhere I looked Hatano banners could be seen fluttering amongst the sparsely wooded hills. Their white armour shone brightly in the spring sunshine, resembling a gigantic white snake coiled upon the hills. We had faced four thousand at Kanazawa, but only from behind a myriad of castle walls and towers. Still, we would somehow prevail, for the alternative of retreat would bring much shame and dishonour. Sullying the name of the mighty Takeda was quite simply not an option – nor was leaving such a personal insult unavenged. Our plan would be a simple one. The Hatano had lined up in three distinct lines upon the hills, with both flanks a great distance from the position of their general, so it would be at these weak points that we commence our attack. A cacophony of shouting and the soft thud of marching men filled the air as the men dispersed into their respective positions. Yukitaka led the Akazonae as they rode to the far right of the Hatano formation accompanied by Masakage and two companies of horse archers. Meanwhile the two Sanada sons stood amid the Kanto samurai who had disappeared into the thick of a forest far on the left. Compared to the Hatano the two lines of archers and yari which formed our centre was pitiful in number if not quality, and a frontal attack by the Hatano was a genuine worry until it became apparent our foe were intent on simply defending their high ground, seemingly content to wait as we threw ourselves against their positions.

May Hachiman be with us…

I turned to the sight of charging horses on our right flank. Masakage’s horse archers had attracted the attention of the Hatano left, and old Yukitaka could be seen at the fore of the Akazonae who had begun their charge up the gentle hill. I could see the Hatano soldiers as they sailed through the air upon impact, but any sound of the engagement was lost over the great distance. Seemingly surprised by our intrusion, movement rippled through the Hatano lines as men stood in the centre struggled to meet Yukitaka’s men. As they approached however the Akazonae retreated down the hill as quickly as they had come, leaving the Hatano torn between standing ground and giving chase even as Masakage’s horse archers continued their fire, picking off their targets at will.

Almost concurrently, Masayuki’s suggestion to trek through dense forest paid handsome dividend. Amid the roar of battle cries row after row of Takeda samurai flooded out from where moments earlier stood only trees, enveloping the Hatano right. As the masses of men collided and gradually became one, blades flew in a red and white symphony of death with blood spraying in plumes and body parts falling where they had been severed. The enemy responded with a flurry of fire arrows not unlike our own, but in the confusion men from both sides succumbed to the fiery shafts. As the fighting ensued our men gained a foothold on the hillside, but even as score after score of Hatano ashigaru were cut down, yet more stood in their place in a desperate act of defiance, and we came little closer to breaking the enemy.

I could see the Hatano general perched upon one of the central hills as he gesticulated furiously for his men to move to and fro. Responding to our two-pronged attack, he resorted to ordering men to either flank, hoping to inundate our forces with sheer numbers. Seeing an opportunity to exploit the newly exposed enemy centre and hoping to give our flanks some respite, I ordered the archers forward, then the yari after them. The main hill upon which the Hatano had made his station was steeper than the others, and the yari made painfully slow progress forward. All the while the Hatano archers who had remained in their positions continued to let loose volley after volley of arrows. Thankfully however the return fire from our own archers forced our enemies to divide their bombardment between the two lines, which served to minimise casualties on both fronts. An eternity later and despite many men lost on the slopes, the companies of yari finally crested the hill, launching themselves at the enemy. Soon the sky was filled with grunts of exertion, despairing screams of pain and the crack of broken weapons, over which my shouts of encouragement became increasingly futile. We were quick to gain a foothold but the numbers of the enemy had once again blunted our momentum, and the two sides fell into a deadlock.

“Tono! We should go help Masayuki-sama!”

I turned to the sight of Takamasa pointing at the left flank, where despite a substantial loss of men progress had been little. Leaving the yari to their own devices for a moment I urged my horse forward. Unsheathing my sword as the bodyguard raced forward, I directed the men towards a unit of archers who had been left to fire upon our men unimpeded. As we closed in on our targets time seemed to accelerate. The ride of several hundred paces felt like an eternity, but as we charged through the ranks of Hatano archers the flurry of colour and the shock of the impact came forth in a flash. My blade found its way through the neck of one Hatano soldier while another was trampled under my mount, but just as quickly several more men had gathered around with their weapons poised. Hacking and dodging in all directions, I narrowly avoided being impaled on several occasions, but even as several more Hatano archers went the way of the first the wild hacks of these peasants had made their impression upon my legs, and through the searing agony I could feel the wetness of blood against my sandals. Before long the enemy archers had been put to flight, but to my dismay replacing them were scores of yari-wielding ashigaru against whom being mounted would give us no advantage. I yelled the signal to fall back as loudly as I could, but it had little effect over the noise of battle, and I could only watch as several among the bodyguard were pulled from their horses. Rueing my lack of foresight I punched my thigh in anger, only for the vibration to send torturous shots of pain through a fresh wound.

Fortuitously, my ill-advised sortie had disrupted the Hatano soldiers just enough for the Kanto samurai to punch their way through the dense enemy ranks, and I exhaled in relief at the favourable development. As I returned to the centre a loud roar suddenly broke out over the far hills, and before long I could see red-clad Akazonae as they spilled over the crest. Their numbers were halved now, but old Yukitaka still fought with an unwavering ferocity that reminded me of his heroics at Kanazawa. The Hatano soldiers – most of whom had clearly not anticipated the sudden charge – were sent scrambling down the slope where those who had not succumbed to the fall were summarily cut down. Sensing the tide of battle changing, I turned and once more entered the fray…

“EI-EI-OHHH!!”

Standing atop the hill where the Hatano general had been moments earlier, the sense of relief in me was immense, but bittersweet. We had prevailed over an army of five thousand men – killing some four thousand – but the cost of doing so was unforgivably high. Almost half of the army that had left Nara in the morning would never see it again, and the heavy losses would surely put pay to any hope of a quick resolution to this conflict…

“Nobushige-sama! We have won!”

Takamasa was visibly shaken and covered in blood from many minor wounds, but the elation on his face was plain to see. If the boy was seeking a battle to make his name then he had hopefully achieved that and more. No more than six of my bodyguard survived the battle, and being one of them was a commendable achievement for the boy. As his horse cantered up beside me I placed a hand upon his shoulder to congratulate him, only to withdraw it hastily when the contact drew a heavy grimace. I sighed heavily before acknowledging Takamasa’s remark.

“Yes, we have. We have won...”

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sitting alone on the grassy knoll bordering the tents, I gazed emptily at the distant trees and the soft clouds that drifted idly across the afternoon sky. Thousands perished on this day, yet the Hatano still stood. The victory was a poor imitation of the vengeance I had sought for the girl’s suffering, and yielded none of the satisfaction it ought to have brought. I itched to march on Osaka castle, but our losses meant such an act would be one of folly until reinforcements from Kanazawa had arrived. In that sense, this victory did more harm than good to our chances of finally vanquishing the Hatano, only serving to delay me from my goal…

“Nobushige-sama!”

My eyes followed the Yukitaka’s wide gait as he invited himself to sit beside me. His advice had been a constant source of reassurance during our campaigns together, so I was glad for the unexpected company even if I knew the old man was here for a purpose. Masakage had launched an impassioned speech about avoiding further warfare earlier and I expected Yukitaka to follow suit. When the old samurai finally opened his mouth though, stroking his long beard as usual, I found myself stunned by his monologue.

“I lost the mother of the boys fighting back in Shinano. We marched too far and the Ogasawara ambushed the castle garrison during the night. We regained our castle but I’ll never forget the day…” Yukitaka cupped his forehead as he spoke, “In the months that followed I devoted the entire clan to hunting down our foe, fighting battle after battle, but even as I killed the Ogasawara daimyo I realised it wouldn’t quench my sadness, and that all I had achieved was allow my thirst for vengeance to consume me and in turn exhaust the livelihood of the Sanada people. The lands lay fallow and we were forced to loan rice and coin from the Murakami, costing the Sanada our liberty. Don’t let yourself make the same mistake.”

Nodding with as much respect as I could muster, I listened attentively to the rest of Yukitaka’s story. Even as he rose to leave my mouth remained agape, unable to come to terms with the tragedy – In all these years Yukitaka had served as a mentor and companion, but he had always guarded his past closely. The story was a sobering warning, but even as I pondered it images of Masako’s lifeless body haunted my mind, mocking my efforts to avenge her...

“Anata…”

The hairs on my neck stood vertical as a soft tentative voice rang out behind me. My mind raced to explain the turn of events, but the voice was unmistakably hers. So it proved as I turned and there she was dressed in her characteristic blue kimono.

Mas-

“Nobushige-sama, why do you insist on waging senseless war? Why must the army lay waste to others’ livelihoods?”

“It was for you! These vermin must pay for what they did to you!”

“…but I have little want for vengeance. I am but a simple maid girl and I did what one should do for one’s master. I’d rather die myself than for thousands march to their deaths in my name. All I could ask was for you to be there with me…”

I opened my mouth to protest, but no words came. Her face was pale, and her willowy frame appeared even more delicate than I remembered, but to see her again after a long winter seemed, if only for a moment, to justify all the hardship and suffering the army and myself had endured in these long and barren months. Tears streamed down her sculpted cheeks as her words trailed off, and I rushed forth as fast as my feet could take me. As we embraced though I suddenly recalled a previous conversation with the girl, and a great sense of shame washed over my consciousness even as I cradled her against me.

”We fight to defend our land, to protect our people and to better the livelihoods of our children…”

Campaign screens

Map

Diplomacy

Arts
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 27, 2012 at 09:34 PM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXVII uploaded - Mar 27)

and she's back! I'm so happy!

A great update, your battle description was brill and the pics were I'm glad the Takeda won - although the cost was rather high At least Takamasa survived

The way you got the emotions across was great, I really felt I was there experiencing what they were

Although he should have remembered;

”We fight to defend our land, to protect our people and to better the livelihoods of our children…”
    I'm disappointed

Looking forward to more

Excellent update and superb battle description!
    But is she really back? I guess we'll see soon.

BRAVO, sir. BRAVO!

So.. She's back. Don't you dare take a George Martin on us .

I am so impressed by the way you write, the emotion, the tension, the words you use. BRAVO, yet again!

I am definately going to read your previous chapters again, just to get better at my writing

Keep up the good work

Citizen

Blog Entries

Knowing Robinzx it's all probably a dream, he'll wake up and the girl will be dead

What are you people like! There's this epic battle going on and everyone's primary concern is the girl?

and she's back! I'm so happy!

A great update, your battle description was brill and the pics were I'm glad the Takeda won - although the cost was rather high At least Takamasa survived

The way you got the emotions across was great, I really felt I was there experiencing what they were

Although he should have remembered;

I'm disappointed

Looking forward to more
    Thanks for the comment! I got pretty lucky not losing any units in the battle I think - at one point I was quite worried I'd kill Nobushige by accident

Despite all the technical difficulties I was quite impressed with the revamped graphics which took off some of the gloss. Makes it look more realistic I think.

More there shall be

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Excellent update and superb battle description!
    But is she really back? I guess we'll see soon.
    Thank you

As for Masako, are you trying to give me ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    BRAVO, sir. BRAVO!

So.. She's back. Don't you dare take a George Martin on us .

I am so impressed by the way you write, the emotion, the tension, the words you use. BRAVO, yet again!

I am definately going to read your previous chapters again, just to get better at my writing

Keep up the good work
    Thanks! This chapter - especially the emotional bits - took quite a few re-writes to get right (hence the lateness) so I'm glad it came out in the end

George Martin you say huh...

Knowing Robinzx it's all probably a dream, he'll wake up and the girl will be dead
    You're not doing her any favours by suggesting that
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; March 28, 2012 at 01:10 AM.

Citizen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by robinzx View Post
    You're not doing her any favours by suggesting that
    Hahaha Just offering alternatives

However if you even think about doing that I think I might have to kill you

Hahaha Just offering alternatives

However if you even think about doing that I think I might have to kill you

Hmm..

Next chapter in 2-3 days. Been busy...playing FotS

XXXVIII: Calm

1560 – Autumn

As the boat rocked gently from side to side, I took in the shores of Lake Biwa absent-mindedly while pulling slow on the oars. The sights here was renowned across Japan, yet despite Omi province being under Takeda control for some time, I found myself marvelling at the picturesque scenes for the first time. The harvest season had painted the lake shore magnificent shades of red and gold, and the festive hues exuded an aura of joyous serenity. Close to the lake shore, peasants worked the land diligently, gathering the fruits of their labours and taking no note of the small vessel on the lake. The Otsu matchi meanwhile could be seen further away, light grey smoke rising lazily where a blacksmith or ryokan stood, and etched against the skyline were the ramparts of the castle itself, the towering structure cutting an imposing outline beneath the distant mountains.

The months since the battle near Fujidera passed easily with little incident from day to day. We had won a great victory that day against significant odds, yet the result was pyrrhic at best. We had almost completely annihilated the Hatano army, though, and although I resisted Masako’s impractical demands that peace be found between our two clans, an uneasy peace was sustained through the summer months. The weekly reports from the Settsu and Tamba provinces had persisted during this time, but each report merely confirmed that our enemies were in no shape to wage war. With no battle in sight the western army – or what remained of it – was allowed to return to Otsu castle. These men had served dutifully through a long winter, and their joy to be back within safer confines was apparent upon our arrival.

On a more personal level, the return to more civilised surroundings represented the first time in almost a decade that I had experienced true tranquillity. The long winter afforded me much time to think and ponder, and – determined for others to avoid the dangers of my obsession with revenge – I had begun to write a collection of rules as a warning for others among the clan. Never again would one of the Takeda risk the fate of the clan for one’s own gain, I promised myself as I noted the result of many discussions with Yukitaka and others around me.

As spring blossomed proper and Hanami came and went the union of myself and Masako could finally be completed, almost a year later than had been intended. The celebrations was as lavish and onerously complicated as one would expect, complete with a plethora of Shinto rituals and local customs presided over by Fuyutsugu, the old monk. The ceremony itself meanwhile was well attended, with Harunobu, all of the council as well as friends new and old travelling to Otsu castle for the occasion. Harunobu’s wife Sanjo –a firebrand of a woman on any other occasion – had taken the time to prepare me an outfit suitable for the occasion, much to the surprise of my brother and myself. The girl meanwhile had worn a snow white kimono, looking as adorable as ever under the sakura trees that lined the castle courtyard. I recall little of the revelries that followed, except that all involved were well lubricated by Tanaka’s seemingly never ending supply of drink. Old Yukitaka in particular – in between large swigs of sake – wasted no time in reminding Masako and I that by adopting the girl for lineage’s sake he was now my father-in-law, much to my amusement.

“Anata…”

My thoughts were broken by the soft voice behind me. The girl’s head was rested against my shoulder, and as I turned I felt her sigh delicately as I took in her mesmerising beauty. A slightest bulge in the girl’s abdomen had appeared in the past weeks, and I smiled clasping her delicate hand. The old maids at the castle said that it would be a boy – although on what basis I will never know – and that he would be due to arrive in the new spring. Masako often insisted the child grow up far from the warmongering habits of his father, though even she accepted the inevitability and importance of the child – were it to indeed be a boy – being well versed in such things.

“Anata… What are your plans? Peace with the Hatano surely cannot last – what happens then? What happens after the war ends? What happens to us? I wish …”

I turned to look at the girl before averting her melancholy gaze. Excessive and unprompted worrying had always been a trait of hers, yet this time I found myself pondering the same. War had been a fact of life for me since a young age. First with father and now at the head of my own army, I have fought for the Takeda cause for almost twenty years now. I had long accepted the life of a warrior, not knowing that of any other. Now however, perhaps for the first time, I longed for it to be over. I longed for us to live the “normal” lives the girl hoped for, even as I struggled to picture how such a life would unfold.

Before then we would need to be ready for the Hatano if they came again.

Perhaps one day, my love, perhaps one day…

“Nobushige-sama! One of the couriers has something for you from Suruga. He insisted that I hand this to you in person.”

As we neared the castle Takamasa could be seen standing in waiting underneath it. I had charged him with leading the castle guards, so it was a surprise Takamasa had forsaken his duty. Before I could admonish him for it, however, the boy stepped forth with a rectangular package in hand. Thanking him I accepted the parcel before joining Masako inside the castle gate. Wrapped in dark washi paper, the mysterious cylindrical object was marked only with a nondescript stamp which I didn’t recognise, and gave little away of the contents inside. Still in buoyant mood from our time on the lake, curiosity accumulated quickly within me as we walked, and once we had reached our quarters I wasted little time opening the package to find a letter of sorts. I unwound the scroll quickly, but the sombre tone of the text promptly wiped the lingering smile from my face.

“Nobushige-sama,

I write this letter in the hope that it finds you and your lady in good health and spirit, and that the harvest in Omi province has been a fruitful one for all. I must apologise for not being able to attend the festivities last spring, but with the daily aches and pains I experience I fear my absence was for the better. It pains an old man like me to write a letter such as this, yet as my unease grows so I must put aside the shame this letter brings me and ask most humbly for your favour.

I write to ask of your forgiveness towards my son, Takanaga. I have heard often of his impudent ways and the disrespect he has shown you in the past. The boy’s behaviour reflects poorly upon himself as it does on his father and his clan, and I apologise unreservedly for his misgivings.

Nonetheless, as father to this unpleasantness, as any father would in my position, I feel compelled – though I fear I shouldn’t – to ask for your consideration in restoring his office among your men. His exclusion from the western army in such glorious times causes me pity and shame in equal parts. The boy is not without talent commanding cavalry, and his shortcomings are mostly of a personal nature that comes from the early loss of his mother and my inadequacies acting in her stead. Thankfully I hear he has repented for his faults, demonstrated by the loyal discharge of his duty pacifying the Ikko lands. We Yamadera have served the Takeda faithfully since the times of old, as have I under your father, and I hope our friendship and the contribution of several hundred of our sons to the Takeda army could be of some value in your considerations.

I am but an old and dying man now, and I have long realised that I am of no further use to the Takeda army. Since that realisation I have poured all of my hope into seeing Takanaga take my position, yet thus far such hope has yielded me only sadness and disappointment. I respectfully submit to any decision you may make, Nobushige-sama, but it would fill my heart with joy if you could grant this old samurai the privilege of seeing his son bear the banner of the Takeda once again.

Respectfully,

Yamadera Nobuaki”

A confused mix of emotions came to me as I put the letter down, my face falling dejectedly into open palms. Takanaga’s station at Kanazawa owed much to his temperament, but given the volatile nature of these previously-Ikko provinces, his presence was an entirely necessary one. His management of the situation was conducted admirably, and Ikko disturbances had become all but forgotten now, but his liberal use of tax reductions had cost the clan substantial income. With reinforcements due from Kanazawa perhaps it was an opportunity to reinstate Takanaga’s position in the army, but doing so now would likely mean demotion for either Yukitaka or Masakage. Suffice to say I listed neither as serious considerations, but the alternative was little better. The Yamadera had long been important retainers to our family, and Nobuaki himself had led the cavalry ranks for over two decades under father. To deny the old samurai would likely cause unpleasantness within the council and for Harunobu, but with war with the Hatano heading to an uncertain conclusion and the shogunate's thinly veiled threats still fresh in my mind to acquiesce now would surely be adding an unnecessary distraction to our plans…or is there still a chance he may yet become an asset to our cause?
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 07, 2012 at 08:21 AM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXVIII uploaded - April 4)

Nice I like these kind of chapters, they help build up the characters