Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Default Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Takeda – A Shogun 2 AAR

I started my own Takeda AAR based on my experience with the Takeda and their incredibly powerful cavalry. It took 18 months and a good many sleepless nights, but at last it is finished. I hope you like it

Takeda long campaign on H. Feedback and suggestions much appreciated.

I would like to thank the following people for their generous help in making this AAR what it is:

• Radzeer for his many pieces of advice on, and exceedingly kind review for the AAR.
    • Anton III for helping me create a Nobushige unit for the custom battles and teaching me the intricacies of unit modding.
    • BullGod for his daimyo models, which were an excellent aid in the final chapters.

Finally I'd like to give a big thanks to everyone who voted and helped me get to four MAARC victories.

Table of Contents
    VOLUME ONE: TAKEDA RISING

Spring blossoms,
    Clatter of hooves,
    We march at dawn

I: First blood
    II: Shinano
    III: New opportunities
    IV: Onward
    V: Winds of change
    VI: New friends
    VII: Echigo
    VIII: He’s doomed us all
    IX: The art of war
    X: End of an era

VOLUME TWO: EDGE OF THE VOLCANO

The sakura falls,
    On morning dew,
    Our righteous faith

XI: An old friend
    XII: Oni
    XIII: Fields of blood
    XIV: Into the abyss
    XV: Now or never
    XVI: Brotherhood
    XVII: The cover of darkness
    XVIII: Once and for all
    XIX: The Kanazawa letters
    XX: Of heart and minds
    XXI: Home

VOLUME THREE: BIRTH OF A LEGEND

Swift as the wind,
    Furious as fire,
    Ten thousand years

XXII: Imperial recognition
    XXIII: Furinkazan
    XXIV: Rodrigo
    XXV: Over the river
    XXVI: Hamamatsu
    XXVII: A game of shadows
    XXVIII: Trepidation
    XXIX: Revelations
    XXX: Of legacy and destiny

VOLUME FOUR: RIVERS OF BLOOD

Sakura on snow,
    A worthy battle
    What do we fight for?

XXXI: Storm clouds
    XXXII: Box of four sides
    XXXIII: Dark of the night
    XXXIV: Gain and loss
    XXXV: Snow
    XXXVI: An unexpected visitor
    XXXVII: Five thousand
    XXXVIII: Calm
    XXXIX: Retribution
    XL: No return

VOLUME FIVE: A REALM DIVIDED

The tallest tree,
    Rolling thunder,
    No turning back

XLI: Decisions
    XLII: Glory
    XLIII: The last straw
    XLIV: The tiger and the dragon
    XLV: Love and duty
    XLVI: For old times
    XLVII: A father's love
    XLVIII: Homeward
    XLIX: Over the winds
    L: Making waves
    LI: Carrack

VOLUME SIX: HEAVEN AND EARTH

Perfect beauty,
    A cup of sake,
    For eternal glory.

LII: The cost of victory
    LIII: Darkness
    LIV: Passing
    LV: Calm
    LVI: Hachimanbara
    LVII: Swords crossed
    LVIII: Chikumagawa
    LIX: A starry night
    LX: Kagemusha

Epilogue: Sakura

Afterthoughts

List of Main Characters - POSSIBLE SPOILERS
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Family members

Takeda Harunobu (born Takeda Katsuchiyo, renamed Takeda Shingen in 1559)
    Born 1521
    The eldest of the three brothers, the Takeda daimyo is known for his military genius but also a lack of patience. His personal Furinkazan banner is an inspiration to all Takeda men as they charge into battle.

Takeda Nobushige
    Born 1525
    Younger brother of Takeda Harunobu and elder brother of Takeda Nobukado, Nobushige is the thinker among the Takeda brothers, with his capacity for military strategy surpassed only by Yamamoto Kansuke and his elder brother. Counts Tenkyu and Sama-no-suke as his courtly titles.

Takeda Nobukado
    Born 1529
    The youngest of the Takeda brothers, Nobukado is fiercely loyal to his brothers and has established a fearsome reputation in battle.

Takeda Yoshinobu (born Takeda Taro)
    Born 1536
    Eldest son of Harunobu and heir apparent to the Takeda clan, Yoshinobu has inherited the military prowess of his father, but also his short temper. Exiled from Takeda lands after his failed coup.

Takeda Yoshinaga (born Takeda Jiro)
    Born 1547
    The second son of the Takeda daimyo has yet to come of age.

Council of elders

Sanada Yukitaka
    Born 1512
    Head of the Sanada clan and father of Sanada Masayuki, Yukitaka led considerable resistance to Takeda rule in North Shinano, but once defected he quickly became one of the most important and influential Takeda elders.

Yamadera Nobuaki
    Born 1515
    Head of the Yamadera clan and father of Yamadera Takanaga, Nobuaki was previously the commander of the Takeda cavalry. Injury and illness has plagued him in recent years, leading him to place his hopes in his young son.

Baba Nobufusa
    Born 1515
    Head of the Baba clan and long time retainer of the Takeda, Nobufusa leads its infantry and is unparalleled in single combat.

Obu Toramasa
    Born 1504
    Elder brother of Yamagata Masakage and known as the "Wild Tiger of Kai", Toramasa was the commander of the Takeda cavalry. A volatile and aggressive man, Toramasa's prowess in cavalry tactics is renowed throughout Japan. Tutor to Nobushige during the latter's early years. Committed seppuku after supporting Yoshinobu's failed coup.

Yamamoto Kansuke
    Born 1501
    Originally under the employ of the Imagawa, Kansuke rose quickly among the Takeda ranks to become its chief strategist. Inventor of the famed Woodpecker formation.

Takeda generals

Yamadera Takanaga
    Born 1525
    Son of Yamadera Nobuaki, Yamadera Takanaga serves under Nobushige, and his over-eagerness to impress often leads him to clashes with his superior.

Yamagata Masakage
    Born 1524
    Younger brother of Obu Toramasa, Masakage's reputation as a cavalry commander is surpassed only by his brother. Several timely interventions by his Akazonae have made Masakage a respected leader of the western army.

Sanada Nobutsuna
    Born 1537
    Elder son of Sanada Yukitaka and heir to the Sanada clan. Served in the western army alongside his father and brother.

Sanada Masayuki
    Born 1544
    Younger son of Sanada Yukitaka. Served in the western army alongside his father and brother.

Other characters

Fuyutsugu
    Born 1521
    Head priest of Kuno-ji in Suruga province, Fuyutsugu was a long time friend of the Takeda brothers having visited Kai frequently as a young monk.

Uesugi Kenshin (Born Nagao Kagetora)
    Born 1530
    Head of the Uesugi clan, the Dragon of Echigo has a fearsome reputation in battle, not least thanks to his legendary battle formation - the Kuruma Gakari.

Masako
    Born 1530
    Sold by her father for thirty pieces of silver, Masako has come to be maidservant, companion and romantic interest to Nobushige. The pair eventually married and Masako bore the younger Takeda brother a son by the name of Nobutoyo.

Hattori Hanzo
    Born 1542
    A master of ninjutsu, Hanzo is the head of the Hattori and vassal to the Takeda clan. While steadfast in his loyalty to Nobushige, Hanzo is more ambivalent towards other parts of the Takeda clan.

Ashikaga Yoshiteru
    Born 1536
    The thirteenth Ashikaga shogun, Yoshiteru rules Japan but in name only. A perceptive man, Yoshiteru prefers to use Miyoshi Nagayoshi to do his bidding while retaining a semblance of neutrality in such turbulent times.

Miyoshi Nagayoshi
    1502-1561
    Intelligent, resourceful, and infinitely corrupt, Nagayoshi has fattened himself at the shogun's expense, but in the latter's time of need his staunch faith in the old order made Nagayoshi a faithful ally to the shogunate.

Tanaka
    Born 1501
    A simple man from Omi province, Takana owns the most popular sake den in the machi beneath Otsu castle. He considers it a great honour to count Nobushige among his frequent customers and delights in acting as the de facto supplier of sake to the western army.

Mochizuki Takamasa
    Born 1543
    A son of the Mochizuki clan of Shinano, the young Takamasa distinguished himself in battle against the Hatano and later served in Nobushige's bodyguard.

Prologue: That boy Harunobu

1545 - Spring

The winter just passed was a harsh one, and as I travelled through the valleys of Kai, the hardship it must have brought the people was quick to my mind. It was remarkable, then, that the cold spring air was filled not with despair, but an excitable buzz, a feeling of anticipation. The snow was still melting away under my feet, but families had already begun their preparation for the year to come. There was a sense of optimism, hope that in these tumultuous times, big things were destined for the young man who led them and their glorious clan. His clan was the Takeda, descendants of the ancient Minamoto, and his name was Harunobu.

I’d once met Harunobu before when I was sent as a young monk to deliver an invitation to the daimyo of Kai. The young master, who was maybe fifteen summers old, had bow in hand, and was sending arrow after arrow into a target erected outside the daimyo’s residence.

“Minamoto no Harunobu?”

“No. My name is Takeda Harunobu.”

The rest of the conversation is blurry in my memory, and frankly matters for little. However, the assuredness and pride with which he had corrected me of his name, belied his tender years.

Some years ago, Harunobu had become daimyo of Kai, displacing his father as the head of the clan. The Takeda were rightly feared as master horsemen, but years of internal strife and struggles against the Hojo and Imagawa had weakened it to the point where Kai itself was under threat. As I walked through the countryside struggle was nowhere to be seen, however, reflecting the improvement in conditions since those godforsaken years. Word was that the Shinano warlords will come again soon, but the quiet industry of these people seemed to reflect their confidence that the Takeda would be ready, and Harunobu would lead them to greatness.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:14 AM.

Default Re: [S2TW AAR] Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR

Hey, nice start!
    I like your writing style, it seems very fluid.
    I hope you coninue this.
    Proud to be Finnish

VOLUME ONE: TAKEDA RISING

Spring blossoms,
    Clatter of hooves,
    We march at dawn

I: First blood

1545 - Spring

We had come back from tending to the land. Kai was blossoming in the Spring sunshine, and what we saw gave us hope for the clan's future. Our people are numerous, and proud of our heritage as horsemen. Harunobu had become an able leader, and our cavalry, so famed throughout Japan, was beginning to regain its strength.

These were dangerous times, but we had no reason to fear anyone, for we are the Takeda.

I, Takeda Nobushige, am the brother of our daimyo. Father had intimated that I assume that position instead, but what is past is gone now. Harunobu had been a good daimyo and a caring brother to Nobukado and myself. The fortunes of our clan were more important now, and serving it would be my greatest honour, in life or glorious death.

“Tono!!”

The lone messenger who disturbed the council of elders practically threw himself into the courtyard, and now lay prostrate before us. The elder generals reacted with angry stares to this transgression, but said nothing as Harunobu beckoned him to speak. Such a dramatic entrance surely meant an urgent matter at hand.

“Tono, our scouts have reported a Murakami force entering the north of Kai. They numbered many, and seemed to be headed to Kofu. We must do something.”

A sudden hush befell the council, followed by murmurs of surprise and discussions of the appropriate response, Harunobu demanded silence with the rise of his hand, and all of us fell quiet. Some among our ranks had long been eager to wage war against the treacherous Murakami, but now that this day had come, they watched their daimyo intently, eagerly awaiting his command.

“The day has come. We march at day break.”

We found the Murakami camped upon a hill. Our scouts had done well, and we were pleased to see that we had an advantage. Sensing our superiority, Harunobu addressed the troops, reminding them of the duty they were bound by. To protect Kai and its people, to honour the Takeda name, and to wipe these treacherous swine from our land.

Harunobu had positioned the cavalry wide right, and it was these brave men who led the assault on the hill. It would be a steep climb, but our horsemen would expect no less. As they were about to engage, however, they turned and the enemy ashigaru followed. The ruse had worked perfectly, as waiting for these men were the finest samurai. Butchery would not have been a strong word for what ensued.

Harunobu ordered his men to dismount and I followed suit. Horses were a precious commodity, and being on mounted would offer us no advantage over the enemy’s yari. I ordered my men to join our brave brothers, and charged into the fray. An arrow whistled past my ear as I thrusted my trusted katana into the first enemy solder. Our men fought valiantly, and brave men were cut down on both sides.

Meanwhile, the cavalry had ploughed into the enemy archers, causing great cries of pain and despair among the enemy who were handily cut down. As the tide of battle began to turn Harunobu threw himself into the fray, and the sight of our daimyo leading the line inspired us all. Quickly enough the Murakami dogs faltered, and we duly gave chase. We pursued for several miles and the enemy were vanquished utterly.

The Murakami would regret the day they set foot in Kai. This was just the beginning.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:18 AM.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

“TONOOOO”

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

Hey man,

I really like the start! I am looking forward to seeing how your campaign unfolds!

I might be writing a Chosokabe AAR, but my favourite clan is Takeda- I love cavalry and I love their colours. I've made 3 starts to the Takeda campaign whilst learning the game, and each time the geopolitical situation develops differently, even if I take similar approaches.

Look forward to the next update

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post

II: Shinano

1545 - Summer

Barely had we made camp had the scouts’ messenger birds arrived. The news was not good. A second Murakami force was merely four days march from us. That gave us enough time to gather supplies and regroup, but not enough to bring reinforcements from Kai. We would have to depend on what we had, and despite victory today, a defeat would surely be a crippling blow to our ambitions. It was time for brave hearts and a strong spirit. Our forefathers would expect nothing less.

The four days were spent burying the dead, watering the horses and allowing the men to recouperate. Word had come from the scouts that this second force was less formidable than the last, which was a tonic to the many wounded and weary among our ranks. The day before last we were informed that the enemy army was led by Murakami Yoshikiyo, their daimyo, and this created considerable excitement among the council. Harunobu and father before him had considered Shinano key to our ambitions, and now, it seemed, we were closer than ever to our goal, if only we could cut down this man.

On the fourth day, the generals roused the troops from their sleep as dawn broke, and we formed up on a wooded hill – any advantage from the terrain would have to make up for our lack of numbers.

A suffocating fog had broken out in the valleys and as we stood in silence visibility could not have been more than a few hundred paces. The fog would hide us from the enemy but equally hinder the effectiveness our bowmen. Harunobu ordered the cavalry to a hill on the right, hidden from the enemy, and barricades to be put up in front of our archers. Any enemy infantry targeting them would be confronted with the pointy end of our spears.

As the Murakami approached, the silence was broken by the sound of bowstrings, and that of stricken enemy men. The Murakami charged in one mass of men and metal, crashing with a sickening thud into a waiting spear wall. Meanwhile our cavalry emerged from the woods, thundering into the enemy daimyo’s retinue. The attack had caught the dog by surprise, and our horsemen were upon him before his guards could close around him..

We had lost several of our best horsemen in this attack, but I suspect the death of the Murakami daimyo had spared the lives of many more of our men as our enemy fled. The road to Matsumoto was now clear, and generations of harassment from the Murakami would soon be at an end.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:25 AM.

III: New opportunities

1545 - Autumn

The council would meet in the tenshu at Matsumoto for the first time. It had been almost two months since Matsumoto had fallen, but the clan was put through its paces subjugating the various acts of insurrection that had greeted our arrival – nothing of military importance, but significant nonetheless. The council had agreed that Shinano would be the new economic centre of the clan, and a peaceful and loyal populace would be all the more important for that.

The siege of Matsumoto was not exceptionally hard work. The Murakami were depleted after the pair of losses against us, and we found Matsumoto garrisoned by a pitiful company of the old and injured – men clearly deemed unfit to make the march on Kai. I almost felt a twinge of sympathy for the boy they’d dressed up to be the new daimyo. It seemed cruel that one so young would be subjected to such a fate. Nonetheless he was sent away to Kai by our trusted retainers to be dealt with in the appropriate way. To spare him would have given our enemies a banner to rally around. Splinters of the Ogasawara and Murakami clans had escaped our grasp, and we could ill afford further strength for our enemy.

Occupying north Shinano had opened our borders to several new clans, and new opportunities and dangers that came with them. A decision would soon have to be made on which direction the clan would go next.

As the last of the council elders took their seats, debate promptly began.

“We should turn our attention to the Kiso. They are weak and south Shinano is a source of quality stone, which would make our fortifications all the more impregnable.”

“We’ve been on friendly terms with the Kiso since the days of our forefathers. We can obtain their stone through trade for now, and to tread so soon in the direction of the shogun surely would be a bad idea.”

“Pah, the shogun is no match for us. The Imagawa are allied to us and have a strong position in Owari. A coordinated push towards Kyoto would surely be profitable for both clans.”

“You speak words of a fool. The shogun may be weak but still not to be trifled with, with us still recovering from the campaign against the Murakami. In due time we will challenge the Ashikaga puppet, but we should be careful not to attract the ire of the shogun.”

“Have you no ambition? The clan must continue to expand in order to prosper. The Anegakoji of Hida have sided with the Murakami since our fathers' time and would be a perfect target...”

The debate grew in ferocity gradually until Harunobu was forced to intervene. The council fell quiet in respect for him and allowed him to clear his throat.

“What of the Nagao? Kagetora recently dispatched of his brother and has assumed leadership of that clan. I hear he is an honourable character, and would make a better ally than that old corpse Yoshimoto. If only the Murakami had not escaped and sought his protection.”

The debate lasted long into the night. The direction the clan took next would surely have a monumental effect on our fortunes, and so a decision was taken only after much deliberation. Trade envoys had been sent to all of the surrounding clans with encouraging results, with the exception of the Anegakoji who had spurned our advances, and so it was decided that Hida would be the site of our next battle. May Hachiman be with us.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:27 AM.

Nice update, good luck with the pictures
    Proud to be Finnish

IV: Onward

1546 - Autumn

A year of rest and recuperation followed our victory at Matsumoto. The men had dispersed into the fields to work their newly apportioned land, and a state of temporary calm spread through our domain. There was work to be done, and thankfully, there were plenty of men to do it.

A policy of tolerance and integration of the people of Shinano, or what we controlled of it, was bearing fruit, and the number of men we were able to muster in time of battle increased dramatically. The people of Shinano had heard of our victories over the Murakami, and men from all walks of life, each eager for a new beginning, had joined our cause. In time, these men would prove to be useful soldiers, and be the bedrock of our expansion in the years to come, but for now, patience was a virtue all of us need more of as we instructed time and again which end of the yari was the useful one.

As we marched on Hida province after the harvest, news arrived that the Anegakoji were themselves engaged in a bitter struggle against the Jinbo clan of Etchu. Their conflicts had been fought to a standstill that had cost both clans their best men, and our march on Takayama would be easier for it. The Anegakoji were allied in name to the Kiso clan of southern Shinano, but the latter had been our brothers since the days we bore the name Minamoto, and were eager to side with our cause. The cache of gold and display of strong horsemen who had arrived with our messenger undoubtedly helped smooth negotiations. There was a day when these Kiso men were equals of our Seiwa Genji ancestors. That day was long gone, however, and the Kiso of today were a peaceful people, be it by choice or for lack of alternatives. We will unite Shinano under one banner one day, but on this one their support was well thanked.

We arrived at Takayama castle under a light rain just as the sun was setting. The castle was built in the shape of a cross, with high walls extending in four directions. It was a formidable structure, and had it been adequately garrisoned we surely would have suffered grave losses. As it was our informants had reported that the Anegakoji daimyo’s personal guard was the only defenders, and so it had proved. The enemy sallied, and our men met them at the foot of the castle walls. The battle was over quickly, and we suffered few losses.

The response to our arrival among the people was entirely differently from the one in Shinano. Instead of the stench of weary hatred, these people had welcomed us, which took us somewhat by surprise. Our generals had come expecting a fight and were ready for one, but instead were treated gracefully and with much kindness. Perhaps they had heard of what happened to the rebels in Matsumoto, or could it be that they preferred our Takeda name to the one of serial failure and military mediocrity associated with their old masters?

As the cavalry marched through the streets below Takayama castle, I could not help notice Harunobu allowing himself a wicked smile. Father had waged war in Shinano for years, and was successful for the most part, but now he had exceeded that. A change had come over his demeanor as we entered Takayama – a newfound sense of authority. He had proven the doubters among the older generals wrong, and had led his clan to victory.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:28 AM.
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

V: Winds of change

1549 - Spring

An illusion of peace had washed over our lands after we took Hida. Almost three years had passed since we entered Takayama castle during which what little fighting we saw was limited to crushing occasional uprisings of local jizamurai who had backed the old clans. The army we could muster had almost doubled since three years ago, and market towns were blossoming around our castles. Recent projects to expand roads and free markets of their traditional bonds had encouraged the merchant class, who have since brought prosperity to the people. Every day we would receive word of another clan being attacked, castles being sacked, settlements burnt to the ground. The Oda of Owari had fallen to our Imagawa allies, and the Shimazu, expert swordsmen of Kyushu, had inexplicably been overrun by the heathen peasants on that island. Christians they called themselves.

Closer to home, quiet murmurs speaking of the spread of the Ikko Ikki were now in full voice, decrying the overthrow of good samurai clans by what surely was no more than angry rabble. Last winter the surprise within the council was evident as reports of the Jinbo – once masters of nerby Etchu – falling to the Ikko Ikki filtered through. The construction of Shinto temples in Hida had helped to pacify the people, and to stem the spread of their poisonous cult, but we must be vigilant, lest this most wretched of fires engulfs our lands.

"Nobushige-sama!!"

One of Harunobu's personal messengers called out to me as I instructed a group of new recruits. Dismounting his horse, the urgency in his step was unsettling. What could it be? Kagetora, long perceived to be our most serious threat, now named Uesugi and Kanrei of the Kanto, was in Fukushima putting down the last of the Ashina and plotting a campaign against our allies the Hojo. Had the Hojo come to seek our help? Or was it that the Ikko Ikki threat had come to fruition?

The council gathered soon after I arrived at the meeting hall, clearly summoned with the same urgency that had alerted me. In the courtyard there was a stranger, dressed in the jarring white and blue of the Hojo.

“Harunobu-sama, I of the Hojo clan have come to represent our good lord Hojo Totome. I have come to inform you that we the Hojo wish to be at war with the Takeda clan.”

A stunned silence followed. The Hojo clan had not been the same after the death of the good Hojo Ujiyasu, but few expected it would come to this. The council waited for Harunobu, finding no counter to the Hojo messenger’s astounding announcement, and it was a great relief to all when Harunobu spoke.

“What is the meaning of this? Does your master not know that Kagetora makes plans upon his lands? We Takeda have honoured our agreement with you and stood by you in the years since. Why have you brought this upon our clans?”

“We Hojo have never been afraid of war. We defeated Kagetora’s kinsmen at Kawagoe and we will do so again. As for you…”

“So be it. Away with you.”

Harunobu cut off the Hojo messenger before he could finish, thrusting his tanto into a map of Honshu with a dull thud. By design or coincidence the blade landed on the border of our lands and that of our new enemies. The message was clear enough. War it was, and we would make sure the Hojo regret this day.

Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:30 AM.

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Would love some feedback on how I'm doing on this - good, bad, suggestions. 300 views and a handful of responses?
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; October 01, 2011 at 01:50 PM.

I would love it if you have some dialogue between Nobushige and Shingen, how they perceive the situation, Shingen will be the aggressive one while Nobushige will be the suave one ever supportive of his brother and will steer him to a more moderate path of action. Then include some young boy from the Kosoka clan, the tragedy of a Hojo boy being held hostage in Kai, the Baba retainer, ever so pushy of wedding his daughter to Shingen, and the Sanada.

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans

I like your style of writing, but I think some screenshots of maps would be useful, otherwise it is quite difficult to work out the geopolitical situation.

In gaming terms... I'm surprised you had 3 years of peace sitting on just 3 'poor' provinces. The Takeda start off in one of the poorest regions and are the only land-locked clan, so I think aggressive expansionism in the early stages is very much advised, as peace benefits those sitting on greater resources. When I played as the Takeda, the key strategic provinces I identified were:

• Kaga- the closest 'very fertile' province, which also provides an ideal military recruitment province, given its 'smithing' speciality and its relative proximity to where the fighting would be most fierce (Kyoto region).
    • Izu- the Hojo tend to be peaceful and reliable allies at the start, but turning on them for the gold of Izu is not a bad idea. Gold provinces are extremely useful for establishing a solid income base regardless of the fickle fortunes of trade.
    • Sagami- if you've decided to turn on the Hojo (well they've turned on you in your game anyway), then Sagami can be a useful military province, thanks to smithing speciality. This can also be developed into your first port.
    • Kozuke- You're quite likely to end up in conflict with the Uesugi, as in history. Philosophical tradition is very useful, so destroying their vassal and taking Kozuke as soon as possible will do wonders for 'teching up'. Suruga has the same speciality, and is closer, but the Imagawa are more useful as allies, especially if they win their early war against the Oda.

Anyways just some ideas. Keep it up mate.

Thanks guys for the ideas/encouragement! Been doing a whole load of nothing on the weekend but will get going again soon. Hope to see more feedback as this progresses

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Rommel View Post
    I would love it if you have some dialogue between Nobushige and Shingen, how they perceive the situation, Shingen will be the aggressive one while Nobushige will be the suave one ever supportive of his brother and will steer him to a more moderate path of action. Then include some young boy from the Kosoka clan, the tragedy of a Hojo boy being held hostage in Kai, the Baba retainer, ever so pushy of wedding his daughter to Shingen, and the Sanada.
    Yea I agree. Been playing with that idea but the battles thusfar haven't been all that interesting so didn't find the right occasion. I've tried to keep using Nobushige as the narrator for the fairly routine parts, but should probably try to develop the characters more. I've moved on in my campaign a bit and some pretty unexpected things have happened, which will probably give me opportunities to use a couple different approaches.

I want to develop fantasy parts to the AAR but probably not straying too far from the campaign. I don't know a whole lot about shudo tradition and don't want to depend on you/Ying for historical accuracy (I'm kinda hoping she doesn't see this for that reason ), but there are some other ideas floating around.

Quote Originally Posted by heindrich1988 View Post
    I like your style of writing, but I think some screenshots of maps would be useful, otherwise it is quite difficult to work out the geopolitical situation.

In gaming terms... I'm surprised you had 3 years of peace sitting on just 3 'poor' provinces. The Takeda start off in one of the poorest regions and are the only land-locked clan, so I think aggressive expansionism in the early stages is very much advised, as peace benefits those sitting on greater resources. When I played as the Takeda, the key strategic provinces I identified were:

• Kaga- the closest 'very fertile' province, which also provides an ideal military recruitment province, given its 'smithing' speciality and its relative proximity to where the fighting would be most fierce (Kyoto region).
    • Izu- the Hojo tend to be peaceful and reliable allies at the start, but turning on them for the gold of Izu is not a bad idea. Gold provinces are extremely useful for establishing a solid income base regardless of the fickle fortunes of trade.
    • Sagami- if you've decided to turn on the Hojo (well they've turned on you in your game anyway), then Sagami can be a useful military province, thanks to smithing speciality. This can also be developed into your first port.
    • Kozuke- You're quite likely to end up in conflict with the Uesugi, as in history. Philosophical tradition is very useful, so destroying their vassal and taking Kozuke as soon as possible will do wonders for 'teching up'. Suruga has the same speciality, and is closer, but the Imagawa are more useful as allies, especially if they win their early war against the Oda.

Anyways just some ideas. Keep it up mate.
    I'll add screens of the map, diplo and arts to new chapters. A part of me wants to focus on story telling but agree map screens makes the campaign itself easier to follow. As for the campaign speed I wanted to keep this at a fairly gentle pace to mimick the time it took for things to happen historically etc. As for the economy, being at war with the Hojo means I'll hopefully have access to Musashi/Suruga/Izu, which should be a massive boost. For the time being I've been doing a bit of selling military access, and I've been holding back upgrading the castles and building too many things. There's been a few turns where I didn't build anything at all, so I've built up a bit of cash. Income was around 2,000/turn and 1,500/turn before and after Hojo declared.
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; October 03, 2011 at 12:28 AM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR

I too am thinking of an AAR, with Zetsubo-sensei, Itoshiki Nozumo, the Despair Samurai.

Preview.

Itoshiki Nozumo pursued with all his might the fleeing enemies, no doubt eager to have a decapitated head worthy of being presented to his liege lord. When suddenly, his mount has stop, and before lay a gigantic red barrier of indeterminate substance. Amazingly the enemy can pass through it. But he cannot. What trickery is this? Magic? Divine intervention.

"DESPAIR.........THIS RED LINE BARRIER HAS LED ME TO DESPAIR. All my efforts are just wasted chasing this goddam taisho only to be stop at the last moment. What if every battle ended up like this. Think of the the repercussions. Akechi Mitsuhide could have never been pursued by farmers. Ishida could have escaped.........There is no more meaning in honorable battle. I will now commit seppuku in shame."

Then in comes Kafuka Fuura.

VI: New friends

1549 - Spring

“Treacherous dog! Someone bring me the Hojo dog’s head!”

Harunobu’s anger exploded once the Hojo messenger had left the tenshu. Several elder councilmen looked on with worried disproval at our young daimyo’s outburst, but kept silent for fear of risking his fury. Slowly I realised that several heads had now turned in my direction. Surely Harunobu would not spill the blood of his own, even in such rage, they must have thought. Leaning forward with as much respect as possible, I cleared my throat. I knew better than anyone not to share their folly.

“No. Leave the messenger be.”

Harunobu looked at me, stunned at the challenge to his authority, a rare event these days.

“Let him go. Let him report to his master that the Takeda stood up to their dishonour with dignity and hold no fear for their threats. To kill him would show cowardice and announce to the world that the Takeda cared little for diplomacy. These are…”

“These are dangerous times and we should act with caution and empty ourselves of contempt and arrogance.” Harunobu grunted sarcastically, repeating father’s favourite piece of advice to us as children. I had treated him as a child, he clearly thought, and was none too happy for it.

“Our time would be better spent planning the order of battle, no? The head of a peasant messenger would do you little good when your own is a trophy in Odawara.”

Silence. The council stared at me with eyes agape and jaws loose. Nobushige-sama had always been measured and soft spoken, so much so that the leadership of the clan had passed him by. This was not what these old men had been expecting.

“How dare…”

“We should secure the support of others for our cause. To face the Hojo alone would surely be a fruitless, bloody affair, or worse, expose ourselves to attack by others. Have you forgotten your own words about Kagetora?”

It was Harunobu’s turn to be silent. That name had clearly struck a chord with him as he waited for me to continue. News of how his battle formation – the kuruma gakari – had annihilated the Satomi, arrived some seasons ago and was met with disbelief and discomfort in equal parts. Word has it that Yamamoto Kansuke, our de facto gunshi, had ridden to Kozuke to observe this in the flesh, but nobody had spoken a word of it since. Kansuke himself had remained quiet for several days upon his return. The Uesugi would clearly be a potent rival in days to come, but for now we shared a common enemy.

My suggestion that we ally with the Uesugi was met with murmurs of disquiet, followed by intense and angry debate. Many, like myself, had considerable respect for the Uesugi, or to be precise for the young Kanrei of Kanto himself. Despite this we braced ourselves for the day when we would face him in battle, and thought of the Uesugi in no friendly light as a result. Before today however we had come to expect that the blue of the Hojo to be at our side on that day. Times had clearly changed, but people’s animosity towards the Uesugi had not. Harunobu’s expression morphed from one of anger to one of intrigue.

“What do we do to secure Kagetora’s support? Surely they consider us in the same light as we do them,” Harunobu snorted dismissively, “We are more than a match for the Hojo and our cavalry will crush them. Gather the troops. We march in the morning!”

“Kagetora’s army is a match for the Hojo in battle, but to beat the Hojo would mean sieging them in their castles, and there his precious kuruma gakari would count for little. We have kept amicable relations with the Uesugi, but he is as wary of our designs upon Echigo as we are of his for our lands. As for us, leaving aside the Hojo, are we strong enough to face both the Hojo and the Uesugi?”

Further rounds of debate ensued. Harunobu was not pleased at my assessment, but encouragingly had lost the urge to shed blood on all fronts. One of the old retainers who had been nodding through my monologue decided to break the silence.

“We should send an envoy to the Uesugi, to relay the merits of partnership to Kagetora.”

“No, a large retinue is hardly a sign of diplomacy. Harunobu and I will go alone. If the Uesugi are suspicious of our intentions then sending a large group of armed men would not help.”
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; December 04, 2011 at 09:27 PM.

VII: Echigo

1549 - Spring

We rode at speed once we left the walls of Matsumoto, stopping only to water our horses occasionally and sleeping little. It would take the Hojo messenger some days to reach Odawara, so we had time, but every second passed made our situation all the more dangerous, a fact not lost on Harunobu and I. The council and Harunobu himself had opposed my proposal to ride alone, insisting on the dangers of treachery from the Uesugi, but thankfully my powers of persuasion had not deserted me, and Kagetora’s reputation was a sound one.

Entering Echigo, a strange sense of tranquillity enveloped us as we sped silently along minor roads. Harunobu and I had learnt horsemanship at a young age, and we had fought alongside father and each other since either of us could remember. It was still rare for us to be alone, though, especially in a province not of our own.

“I’d almost forgotten the joy of the open country. Echigo is a good land.”

“You fancy it? I hear it’s rather unfertile, although Kagetora’s done well with the merchant class.”

“Maybe one day. The Kanto is far more profitable, and Sagami’s tradition of metal working will be important for us. I hear Izu has an abundance of gold, too.”

“We should capture Edo. It is at the heart of the Kanto and holding Musashi province would limit Kagetora’s ambitions.”

“I still struggle to think this is a good idea, riding alone to see someone who could be our enemy. You could get us killed, or ransomed, or worse.”

“Still better than facing the Hojo and Uesugi at once. You could look quite attractive on the end of a stick.”

“Pah…we should have just marched on Odawara without all of this nonsense.”

As we slowed atop a hill, we were welcomed by the sight of Kasugayama-jo – Kagetora’s resident castle. The tenshu was a modest one, but towers scattered along its walls, together with the moat fashioned from a diverted river, made this an imposing proposition for anyone seeking to take it.

“There’s a attractive sight that. I could name a beautiful woman after it.”

“Kagetora probably already has.”

We rode on in silence. Harunobu was not impressed by my dry response to his joke, but there were far more serious matters at hand this day.

We slowed to a canter as we approached the first gates of Kagetora’s castle. As Harunobu introduced himself, the guards at the gate gave us a sceptical look, before scurrying inside to report the unlikely visitors.

The tenshu of Kasugayama-jo was a cosy affair. It lacked the decorations of war we had kept at Kofu and Matsumoto, but the strong beams were a testament to the craftsmanship that existed within the structure. As we sat, the Uesugi retainers watched us with no small amount of suspicion.

“Welcome, guests to the Uesugi. What do you have for us today?”

Kagetora’s voice was strong, but refined. As he emerged from the hallway I looked at Harunobu, and Harunobu looked at me. So this was the man they called the Dragon of Echigo.

“We have come to propose a treaty between our clan and yours. We are at a state of war with the Hojo, and so are you. An alliance will be beneficial for both our clans.”

Kagetora tensed ever so slightly. If this was a surprise to him he did well not to show it.

“We do not have need for an alliance. The Uesugi are more than a match for the Hojo and if that means sparing your people from their machinations then that is a favour I am willing to offer.”

“Kagetora-sama, we come not to propose schemes against the Hojo. These are strange times, and the fate of century old clans like yours and ours wax and wane with the winds. We have come to propose a friendship between our two families – one which will see our fortunes joined as one. The Uesugi share its borders with many who may endanger it – the Hojo, the Satomi who plot against you, the Hatakeyama to the north, the rebellious Ikko Ikki…

…and the Takeda.”

Harunobu looked sharply at me, and several Uesugi retainers reacted to my taunt by clasping their swords, only to release them slowly seeing no reaction from their liege. Kagetora’s eyes were closed, a faint crease forming between his eyebrows. I had attracted his attention, at least.

“With the Takeda and Uesugi in union, we would stand back to back, safe in the confidence in each other’s honour. The Kanto will fall, and the rest of Japan would tremble at the sight of our banners.”

The haggling continued for several hours, but the hard work was done. By the time we departed for Matsumoto the next day, we had the escort of Kagetora’s personal cavalry, and his word. On a personal note I had gained some rare admiration from Harunobu. The Uesugi would rival our ambitions one day, but until then they would be worthy allies to our cause.

Campaign screens

Map

Diplomacy

Arts
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 24, 2016 at 08:34 AM.

OH! Great improvement, and interesting turn of events. If only you can pull off a battle where both Uesugi and Takeda forces are present. But you can never hope for such things in the campaign map.

I recommend a fictitious custom battle. For more screen shot opportunities.

Hey, those are some good chapters indeed!

Would love some feedback on how I'm doing on this - good, bad, suggestions. 300 views and a handful of responses?
    Sorry for not commenting in a while, Iīve been busy.

Some of your picture-spoilers didnīt work. I wonder why.

as we instructed time and again which end of the yari was the useful one.
    Heheh... "The pointy end, USE THE POINTY END!"
    Last edited by Nordic Hussar; October 06, 2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Proud to be Finnish

Page 1 of 27 123456789101126 ... LastLast