Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Completed)

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXVIII uploaded - April 4)

This series is awesome Do you play multiplayer? Maybe we could do a roleplay campaign and make it canon to continue the thread? I enjoy playing as the Oda , and as we all know, Oda Alliance-Takeda Alliance RP = beast

Icon14 Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXVIII uploaded - April 4)

I just read all this from the beginning in 2 days. All I have to say is: this is amazing! There are some AAR's that are good and there are some like yours that are really inspiring. The characters are wonderfully crafted, and I logged in (never do) just to say how great this story is.

Please keep going!

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    Nice I like these kind of chapters, they help build up the characters
    A breather in the story I guess, and yes this hopefully helps set up the next big event in the story

Quote Originally Posted by M3ZMR View Post
    This series is awesome Do you play multiplayer? Maybe we could do a roleplay campaign and make it canon to continue the thread? I enjoy playing as the Oda , and as we all know, Oda Alliance-Takeda Alliance RP = beast
    Thanks for your comment Nah don't play MP I'm afraid. Given history I was quite disappointed the Oda were wiped out so early to be honest. Would have been an interesting fight

Quote Originally Posted by Antonidas View Post
    I just read all this from the beginning in 2 days. All I have to say is: this is amazing! There are some AAR's that are good and there are some like yours that are really inspiring. The characters are wonderfully crafted, and I logged in (never do) just to say how great this story is.

Please keep going!
    You read all that in 2 days? Wow

Thanks for the comment - and welcome to the forums! I'm humbled (and pleased) that my story has made you sign up and leave a word Keep going I shall!
    The Wings of Destiny - A FotS AAR (Chapter 12 - Updated Apr 24)
    Takeda - a Shogun 2 AAR (Completed) Reviewed by Radzeer

My writing | My art | About me | Sekigahara Campaign - Developer

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

If I may, your AAR was actually what got me to sign up as well xD I also find myself starting a Takeda campaign :3

Beautifully written! A very nice change of pace. I think this is part of why can capture Japan so well, these pace changes from intense fight to like a meditation part work great.

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Nice too see you have some new followers

A brilliantly written update... basically what Radzeer has just said

Looking forwarder to more
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

I just read your last couple of posts. It is interesting how you manage to weave in new characters. You have a talent for that. I also liked how you portrayed the conflict of loyalties to the girl vs the state. And the dialogue between the old ashigaru and Takamasa was brilliant. Both got their point across well.

I also liked the pictures without the gloss better, they look more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by M3ZMR View Post
    If I may, your AAR was actually what got me to sign up as well xD I also find myself starting a Takeda campaign :3
    Welcome to the forums!

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Beautifully written! A very nice change of pace. I think this is part of why can capture Japan so well, these pace changes from intense fight to like a meditation part work great.
    Thank you yea tried to put in a break in the action with that chapter before the next wave of action-oriented chapters. Glad it worked out well

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    Nice too see you have some new followers

A brilliantly written update... basically what Radzeer has just said

Looking forwarder to more
    Thanks! More there shall be

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    I just read your last couple of posts. It is interesting how you manage to weave in new characters. You have a talent for that. I also liked how you portrayed the conflict of loyalties to the girl vs the state. And the dialogue between the old ashigaru and Takamasa was brilliant. Both got their point across well.

I also liked the pictures without the gloss better, they look more realistic.
    Thanks Yea the conflict between Masako and war and between Nobushige's different sides were things I really tried to portray, so I'm glad it came through

RL is being a pain these days so haven't had much time to write. Next chapter should be up before the weekend though

~~Under the proud patronage of Radzeer, Rogue Bodemloze. Patron of Noif de Bodemloze, Heiro de Bodemloze, and Hitai de Bodemloze~~

Gotta love this AAR!
    Too bad you don't play MP. I'd love to play as Shimazu against the mighty Takeda.
    WIP. Watch this space. It'll be epic.

No, seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by LegolasGreenleaf View Post
    Gotta love this AAR!
    Too bad you don't play MP. I'd love to play as Shimazu against the mighty Takeda.
    Yea MP just doesn't interest me for some reason. I could have done with a strong Shimazu or one of the western major clans in this campaign though. Feels weird fighting the likes of the Hatano.

Sorry about the delay guys. Next chapter up shortly

XXXIX: Retribution

1561 – Summer

Yoshida Kuninaga looked wearily at the plains beyond the castle gates, sighing deeply at the sight of the mass of red banners in the distance. This pointless conflict had cost his clan the lives of many, including its best general and his first born son, and the noxious flames of war had engulfed the lives of his people. The various battles against the Takeda had left the land fallow, and after consecutive poor harvests many among the peasantry were on the verge of starvation. Soon though it would be over, Kuninaga mused with no small amount of melancholy. After a tense peace that had lasted since the year prior, the Takeda western army – reduced to half its number at the catastrophic battle at Fujidera – had somehow regained its number and began to encircle Osaka castle itself. His Hatano clan, honouring the age old system of drawing men from the land, could not hope to match the Takeda’s resources in manpower, and presently little over a thousand men had been garrisoned at Osaka. That the castle was one of the tallest and best protected in all Japan evened the odds in their favour somewhat, but it may yet prove insufficient, Kuninaga thought. The old samurai knew all too well the threat that faced them.

In his youth Kuninaga had fought a litany of battles against the other Chugoku clans, in particular the Mori clan of Aki province, but as his years waned he learned the value of peace, and delighted in the sense of order that had been established in his lands. The onset of war, particularly the battles at Wakayama and Fujidera and the death of his eldest son devastated the old daimyo as a result. What made the loss all the more galling though was that all the bloodshed had been the result of nothing more than a cowardly, unnecessary act by Tamenaga. The Takeda’s rise to power in the Kanto had been significant but distant, and even as they expanded into the Kansai regions the two clans coexisted peacefully, engaging in little trade or diplomacy. By electing to send an assassin against the wishes of his father, the younger Yoshida son had provoked the fury of the relentless tempest that was the Takeda war machine. Kuninaga lamented the turn of events, remembering well his anguish and frustration at his son’s idiocy. The boy had always had a rebellious streak, judging himself to be wiser than his father’s advice on many an occasion, but this time he would bring ruin upon his family and his people…

“Father! Are you at your daydreams again? We must prepare the defences – our scouts report that the Takeda will attack in the coming days. Your wishful thinking won’t cause the enemy to leave our lands!”

Kuninaga sighed heavily as he took in the abrasive voice reverberating from the hallway. Since the loss of his elder brother, Tamenaga had taken up the task of leading the Hatano army. The boy was an able general, but despite his relative lack of experience the boy quite fancied himself as a saviour of the clan. Before the old samurai could speak, Tamenaga was stood before him, proudly recounting his achievements in the past days.

“Defences have been set up in the east of the castle where the Takeda made their camp, and the arrow towers have been well stocked. Should the Takeda attack we will have the ashigaru defend the first kuruwa while the archers among the Tamba samurai will shoot at them from above. We can hold an enemy twice our number this way. Meanwhile the men have extended the wells and we will have sufficient water for the coming weeks.”

Kuninaga looked unenthusiastically at Tamenaga. The boy’s arrogance wearied him – almost as much as his decision to invest the entire defensive force in one direction. “Be cautious in all things. You face a mighty foe, and you’d do well to carry yourself with more humility. How could you be so sure the Takeda will attack the castle from its strongest point? Perhaps it would be wise to spread the men-”

“Enough, father, you speak as if I have little idea how to command an army. I have scouts following the Takeda’s every move, and by concentrating our defence we are best able to defend against their machinations. You’d do well to remain out of the way when the fighting starts. In your eyes I was never a match for my brother regardless of my achievements, yet here I am at the head of army while your favourite son lies dead. I cannot allow yet another of your misjudgements harm the fate of our clan.”

Kuninaga turned abruptly, staring unflinchingly at the man before him. A fiery anger flickered in the old man’s eyes, and for a second the two men stared at each other, their gaze locked.

“You weren’t half the man Tametsugu was. If your arrogance persists you never will be.”

Tamenaga felt fury build up within him, and in a flash of metal he drew his sword, holding it high above the old man who merely turned away in silence.

“Killing your father will not save you from the Takeda, Tamenaga.”

The younger man struggled to retain his composure at his father’s words even as fury boiled within him. Then, almost prophetically and much to Tamenaga’s dismay, the hurried words of a guard sprinting through the castle cut short his anger.

“Tono!! The Takeda are attacking – from the south!”

Famed throughout the land for its multiple tiers of kuruwa and abundance of defensive towers, Osaka castle was a behemoth in every sense. The giant structure of grey stone and bleached white walls carved an imposing figure above the Kansai plains around it. Even though the western army numbered double that of the Hatano defenders, seeking to take the castle head on would have been suicide. It was with some fortune therefore that Takamasa had chanced upon the mountain pass on one of his patrols around the camp. Cutting through the dense forest around the east side of the castle, we were able to make our way to the southern approach, and by leaving most of our banners standing at the camp – again one of Takamasa’s ideas – the manoeuvre was completed early in the morning without alerting the enemy. Even as the men made their ascent I could see the Hatano defenders scrambling to adjust their positions. The luxury of advancing upon the castle walls without a shower of arrows overhead was lost on none as they made rapid progress, and before long a sizeable crowd of our men had gathered atop the first tier walls, bracing as the Hatano defenders poured out of the gates above with their weapons extended.

Despite the oddness of the peace that existed between our clans, a state of general calm had persisted throughout the previous year and into the new spring. There was even time for Hanami to be celebrated, albeit somewhat nervously, and Masako drew great satisfaction from giving birth to little Nobutoyo in the quieter times. The calm would be shattered however when scouts from Osaka reported that the second Hatano son had been the instigator of the assassination attempt which almost robbed me of the girl. While it was a wrench leaving her on such short notice, there was never any chance that her suffering would be left unavenged.

Osaka castle will fall, and Yoshida Tamenaga will finally pay for his sins…

Climbing into the first kuruwa, I found myself surrounded by the melee that churned all about me, blades flying in all directions while men hacked at each other mercilessly. Fallen bodies lay littered in patches around the castle walls, making walking an arduous and potentially hazardous task. The Shinano ashigaru had borne the brunt of the defenders’ determination, but had held admirably despite taking significant losses. This allowed the Kanto samurai to charge unhindered into the enemy right. On the left meanwhile were Masakage and his men. It was a strange sight to see the Akazonae fighting on foot, yet despite the unusual premises their martial prowess was little diminished, laying waste to a company of enemy yari on the left. Despite our advantage though, progress towards the upper levels of the castle was non-existent. The Hatano reacted quickly to our ruse and were by now positioned upon the second kuruwa. Their archers had lined themselves upon the second tier walls, and arrows whistled amidst the fighting with increasing regularity. Among the messy swirl of the fighting though the shafts hit friend and foe alike, and merely caused to increase the number of deaths without significantly altering the balance of battle. Suddenly, amid the blur of limbs, bodies and weapons, I caught sight of the Hatano general. The banner carrier behind him confirmed my suspicions, and my heart was filled with both anticipation and rage at finally confronting the instigator of this war and the cause of so much suffering for the mother of my children. With a roar of anger I gutted my immediate opponent, but even as I waded towards my appointed adversary disappointment filled me as he turned tail, the gate to the top kuruwa slamming shut just as he entered.

The rest of the battle flew by in an unmemorable blur of blood and death. The Hatano had invested great numbers of men in retaining the first kuruwa and once those men had been broken the upper tiers – where the resistance would typically be at its strongest – had become rather anticlimactic. Even as the last of the Hatano samurai met their ends I searched the castle for Yoshida Tamenaga, but it was to no avail, and I stepped into the castle tenshu the sense of frustration within me threatened to exceed the bounds of my self-control. The floor boards creaked loudly as I inched forward carefully, but the wooden structure was all but deserted. Having made my way to the fourth tier of the castle without seeing a single soul, my surprise was considerable when upon entering the throne room I was greeted with the sight of an elderly man of perhaps sixty or even seventy years. Dressed in a dark haori kimono, the elderly man’s eyes were closed, seemingly caring little for the intruder before him.

“Yoshida…Kuninaga?”

“It is I… and what brings you to our castle then, Tenkyu-sama?” The old man’s response took me aback not merely because he had referred to my seldom used court title, but for the air of serenity and indifference with which it was uttered. Even as I approached with katana in hand, the elderly samurai made no attempt to move.

“Your son sent an assassin against me during times of peace. I come to avenge his cowardly act. If he were a man of integrity he would face me honourably, yet he seems only to know how to run like a dog.”

“Ahh…” Kuninaga resumed in his slow monotonous tone, “the assassin’s blade struck your wife – or do I hear incorrectly? As a father I apologise for my son’s lack of valour. His mother died at childbirth you see, and I evidently failed to educate him. On the other hand you took thousands of your own men to their deaths for one woman? That’s hardly the act of a responsible general, is it Tenkyu-sama?”

I stood frozen before Yoshida Kuninaga, unable to fashion an appropriate answer to his accusations. He was right of course – I had admitted as much to Masako before – but it was suddenly apparent that my thirst for vengeance had once again spelled the end for hundreds of Takeda men. Only the shimmer of reflected light and sound of footsteps behind me snapped me out of my stupor, and I looked in time to see my true nemesis flee past the open doorway, causing images of Masako's bleeding form to reappear in my psyche…

"NO!!"

As I turned to give chase, a crackled roar erupted behind me, and a katana blade sliced through the air, missing my shoulder by a hair's width. Shocked at the old samurai’s sudden attack, I struggled to parry a succession of quick strikes before regaining my composure. Kuninaga’s sudden burst of agility had taxed his ancient frame and the old samurai was now leaned against the nearest wall. With a roar of anger I aimed a downward slash aimed at the neck, but a sense of horror – and almost guilt – filled me as the he made no attempt to parry and the blade embedded itself deep within his shoulder with a sickening cracking sound. Even as blood gushed in copious quantities, the old daimyo spat out his final words with difficulty before expiring in a heap on the wooden floor.

“Spare…my…son…”

I sat at the centre of the camp, trying my best to maintain a façade of calm. The coward that was Yoshida Tamenaga had attempted to escape the tenshu, but with hundreds of Takeda soldiers stood in the castle courtyard it wasn’t long before he was captured and quickly bound. Even as the blood drained from the lifeless form before me images of his father haunted my mind. Struggling to comprehend how such an honourable man could have produced one of so little shame in Tamenaga, I reflected upon my decision to allow the cur an honourable death by seppuku. Perhaps I felt I owed it to his father? Or simply that it would be a proper end for a man of samurai birth? My retribution against the man’s cowardly act was complete, yet destroying the Hatano felt hollow and entirely unsatisfying. As the guards removed the corpse I found my attention drifting to Harunobu’s response to my latest letter.

“Prepare well, brother, for I fear we are approaching a place from which return will be impossible…”
    Last edited by Robin de Bodemloze; April 13, 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Default Re: Takeda - A Shogun 2 AAR (Chapter XXXIX uploaded - April 13)

Great as always. Like the kuruwa . Good pictures, and great discription and dialogue.

|Of, the esteemed House: DE BODEMLOZE|

Shankbot de Bodemloze's Avatar From the Writers Study!
    Citizen

Blog Entries

Great update mate, as ever I loved the pictures and as Heiro has said the description and dialogue were brill Although I wouldn't of minded more of them (the pictures that is)

It's nice to see he's got his revenge, although he feels hollow about it. Good things he didn't die in the throne-room, that would've been a bummer

I'm looking forward to seeing what this 'place' where 'return will be impossible' is...

Keep it up
    Last edited by Shankbot de Bodemloze; April 14, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
    THE WRITERS' STUDY | THE TRIBUNAL | THE CURIA | GUIDE FOR NEW MEMBERS

PROUD PATRON OF JUNAIDI83, VETERAAN & CAILLAGH
    UNDER THE PATRONAGE OF MEGA TORTAS DE BODEMLOZE

Warrior A's Avatar Laetus

Just discovered this AAR the day before yesterday. I have spent the better part of two days at work reading through the whole thing. Brilliant work. This is only the second AAR I have read all the way through, and the first one for Shogun. I eagerly await more updates. I don't know what you do in real life sir, but you should give it up and write full time. I have read and enjoyed several books of historical fiction that were neither as entertaining or as well written as your AAR. Bravo!!

Tcha, for shame! He would deny the honourable samurai his dying wish? His actions are most worrying, once again there is little honour in this course of action. Only one thing can re-deem this course of action now. The Takeda must become the Shogunate and end it's rule- this will atone for the loss of honour in this war
    Quote Originally Posted by Menelik_I View Post
    obviously a Jewish Honeywell operation ... using a time machine invented in 1940 to know all future Far Right stars so Female Mossad Agents would bear their children and taint them for eternity.

Excellent chapter (like all of yours actually...)! I liked the change in the narrative perspective, I think you do this with great skill.
    And the plot thickens some more... good stuff on the father-son comparison (and their respective ends).

Civis

“Revenge is Always Sweet, it's the Aftertaste that's Bitter.” Heh, I suppose that's true in Nobushige's case.

I gotta admit I was surprised he allowed the culprit the chance to end his own life. I fully expected Nobushige to take his head on the spot, but i suppose Kuninaga's words and actions would give many men a little time to think. It's funny how the ones who are openly arrogant end up running like the scared little punks they are haha.

I look forward to seeing what Haronubu's letter refers to..

Quote Originally Posted by HeirofAlexander View Post
    Great as always. Like the kuruwa . Good pictures, and great discription and dialogue.
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Shankbot12 View Post
    Great update mate, as ever I loved the pictures and as Heiro has said the description and dialogue were brill Although I wouldn't of minded more of them (the pictures that is)

It's nice to see he's got his revenge, although he feels hollow about it. Good things he didn't die in the throne-room, that would've been a bummer

I'm looking forward to seeing what this 'place' where 'return will be impossible' is...

Keep it up
    Wanted a bit more variety than just a siege battle. More action there shall be

I'll make a behind-the-scenes thing when it's all said and done and in it explain a bit more about these few chapters. Don't want to spoil anything just yet

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior A View Post
    Just discovered this AAR the day before yesterday. I have spent the better part of two days at work reading through the whole thing. Brilliant work. This is only the second AAR I have read all the way through, and the first one for Shogun. I eagerly await more updates. I don't know what you do in real life sir, but you should give it up and write full time. I have read and enjoyed several books of historical fiction that were neither as entertaining or as well written as your AAR. Bravo!!
    Thanks for your comment! High praise indeed - I shall endeavour to match your expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Grimecraft View Post
    Tcha, for shame! He would deny the honourable samurai his dying wish? His actions are most worrying, once again there is little honour in this course of action. Only one thing can re-deem this course of action now. The Takeda must become the Shogunate and end it's rule- this will atone for the loss of honour in this war
    Would you let someone live when you just killed their father and put their family and entire domain to the torch? I'll just say it's all part of the plan

Quote Originally Posted by Radzeer View Post
    Excellent chapter (like all of yours actually...)! I liked the change in the narrative perspective, I think you do this with great skill.
    And the plot thickens some more... good stuff on the father-son comparison (and their respective ends).
    Thank you for your continued support as always

Yea the different perspectives are something I try to do to keep things fresh I think. Glad the intended contrast between father and son came through

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenclaw2099 View Post
    “Revenge is Always Sweet, it's the Aftertaste that's Bitter.” Heh, I suppose that's true in Nobushige's case.

I gotta admit I was surprised he allowed the culprit the chance to end his own life. I fully expected Nobushige to take his head on the spot, but i suppose Kuninaga's words and actions would give many men a little time to think. It's funny how the ones who are openly arrogant end up running like the scared little punks they are haha.

I look forward to seeing what Haronubu's letter refers to..
    Hey great quote. I like that a lot

I contemplated having Nobushige just run him through - it's actually how I pictured it when I first planned the chapter, but the way it currently is all part of something greater that I've since thought up.

Brilliant update, once again, and another small drama.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    [MT2W FKoC AAR] Times full of Distemper
    Reviewed by robinzx at the Critic's Quill, Issue 31

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey of Villehardouin View Post
    Brilliant update, once again, and another small drama.
    Thanks Glad you liked the little side story

Next chapter in 2-3 days.