View Poll Results: Which style campaign map is better?

Voters
76. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rome: Total War

60 78.95%
  • Medieval/Shogun

16 21.05%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Same style map as Rome:Total War

God's Avatar Shnitzled In The Negev

Default Same style map as Rome:Total War

It has recently been announced that the campaign map will be the same style as in Rome, not like in the older Medieval and Shogun. I want to know who thinks this is a good thing, because I personally preferred the old map because it added strategy and you really had to think about whos land you passed whereas in Rome you can tresspass through other factions' land without warning.
    Last edited by God; April 12, 2006 at 01:00 PM.

Lusted's Avatar Look to the stars

Default Re: Same style map as Rome:Total War

I prefer RTWs map to the style of map in STW and MTw, simply because i feel it makes things much more interesting, instead of having one mapfor a province, you could have many as it all depended upon what kind of terrain you were fighting on. The RTW map allows you to set ambushes, and use chokepoints, and it allows you to choose where to fight, some of the time.
    Creator of:
    Lands to Conquer Gold for Medieval II: Kingdoms
    Terrae Expugnandae Gold Open Beta for RTW 1.5
    Proud ex-Moderator and ex-Administrator of TWC from Jan 06 to June 07
    Awarded the Rank of Opifex for outstanding contributions to the TW mod community.
    Awarded the Rank of Divus for oustanding work during my times as Administrator.

Personally, I much preferred the detail of the Rome map over the previous two. For me anyways it was much more immersive.
    "oooh a gypsy wind is blowing warm tonight, sky is starlit and the time is right. Now you're telling me you have to go...before you do there's something you should know." - Bob Seger

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

Voted for Rome: Total War. That's because it is more accurate and with improvements it will be great. The current situation is somewhat 50:50.

Muizer's Avatar member 3519
    Patrician Artifex

I think it's a good thing because I've spent quite some time figuring out how the RTW map and terrain generation works and I'd rather not have to start from scratch again for MTWII.
    "Lay these words to heart, Lucilius, that you may scorn the pleasure which comes from the applause of the majority. Many men praise you; but have you any reason for being pleased with yourself, if you are a person whom the many can understand?" - Lucius Annaeus Seneca -

Lord Tomyris's Avatar Cheshire Cat

Quote Originally Posted by God
    It has recently been announced that the campaign map will be the same style as in Rome, not like in the older Medieval and Shogun. I want to know who thinks this is a good thing, because I personally preferred the old map because it added strategy and you really had to think about whos land you passed whereas in Rome you can tresspass through other factions' land without warning.
    I found that the RTW map added more strategy- at least, strategy on a level of greater realism.

Ex-Quaestor of TWC: Resigned 7th May 2004

Logue's Avatar Semisalis

As sad as t is too admit i'd go for the rome map, although the mtw/stw map had more class it did not have the strategic aspect that rome does.

Technically Rome's map is better. Gameplaywise Medieval's map is better. You may ask why? Because Rome's AI never knew how to use and act on the map, whereas Medieval's map was much more simpler as thus easier to use for the AI.

I like Rome's more sence it was more reallistic and with proper AI it can it can be much better then MTW or STW had ever done.
    "There's Brave Men knocking at our gate, lets go kill them"

Tostig's Avatar -

I found M:TW/S:TW's campaign map to be more fun - it did abstract strategy a fair amount but it also made it more understandable and easier to control.
    Garbarsardar has been a dapper chap.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Rome by a hair. If the campaign AI is fixed and there aren't stupid bugs like the save/load siege bug, and the AI's lack of naval invasion logic, or being able to launch an effective invasion...or use it's best generals in the right places...

VaeVictis's Avatar Miles

As far as graphical aesthetics go, I would say the Rome map. Things were a little less cluttered and you could queue up movements, etc. so the overall experience was less cluttered and complex.

However, as far as the AI and pathfinding was concerned, the MTW map is still superior in that right, albeit a bit rigid.

If they can combine the better aspects of both, I would be very happy.

Vicarius

I like the rome map better, not just because it looks better, but it adds to strategy and realism
    Member of S.I.N.

Trajan's Avatar Capodecina

Well RTW was my introduction to the Total War series so I only have experience with that map but the majority of Total War veterans say that the RTW map is the best one out of the series so I'm happy that CA is sticking with that.

John I Tzimisces's Avatar Get born again.

Quote Originally Posted by Trajan
    Well RTW was my introduction to the Total War series so I only have experience with that map but the majority of Total War veterans say that the RTW map is the best one out of the series so I'm happy that CA is sticking with that.
    If RTW used the same type map as MTW, basically, the AI wouldn't seem as dumb. It is simpler, easier to navigate, but doesn't look as good, basically. Also, easier to run on laptops

Logue's Avatar Semisalis

The only problem i had with the mtw map was that u couldn't put your troops on an allied territory with out invading it. Thats the only problem.

Scarlett Letterman's Avatar Semisalis

Some sort of combining of the two would be jawesome.

MTW's campaign map was strategicaly empty. One of MTW's great failings, though I do not blame them for it.

RTWs map is far better
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be used until they try and take it away.
    Staff Officer of Corporal_Hicks in the Legion of Rahl
    Commanding Katrina, Crimson Scythe, drak10687 and Leonidas the Lion

Space Voyager's Avatar Campidoctor

I agree that RTW map is far better. The options it adds are the only real addition (beside from 3D units) that RTW introduced! Limited traveling, DIFFERENT travelling speeds for cavalry/infantry/siege_equipment, adding agents to armies, ambushes etc. etc.. I couldn't go back to the old system. And I enjoyed both MTW1 and Shogun immensly.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast