Thread: Roleplayin the campaign

Default Roleplayin the campaign

With all these wonderfull modifications (http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=464130) I decided to play a new 1813 campaign with Poland but now by roleplaying how would (was) a real Polish army organized.

I did some research (well, I just opened wikipedia) and found this:

"W armii Księstwa Warszawskiego w 1809 roku pułk piechoty dzielił się na trzy bataliony po 6 kompanii każdy. Posiadał ponadto artylerię pułkową w postaci 3 dział. Pułki jazdy natomiast złożone były z 4 szwadronów liczących po 2 kompanie. Pułk artylerii polowej liczył 12 kompanii po 6 dział oraz 1-2 granatniki. Pułki Księstwa Warszawskiego wzorowano na pułkach francuskich."

It basically says that an infantry regiment of Polish army consisted of 3 battalions of infantry and some artillery guns, horse regiment consisted of 4 squadrons and finally artillery regiment consisted of 12 companies with each of them having 6 cannons and 2 mortars.

I organized my whole army precisely in this fasion (more or less) and now I roleplay through my campaign by keeping all battalions of single regiment together, only rarely making exceptions (as they too happened in history).

I exchanged artillery batteries in some of the infantry regiments for grenadiers or light infantry battalions (finally grenadiers can be used as attachments to regular infantry regiments and not as whole units).

When a battalion is destroyed in battle and its standard is lost to the enemy the unit is forever disbanded and new battalion (with new name) takes its place in regiment.

Another time a single battalion or regiment (battalions act as parts of one regiment on battlefield too, not only on campaign map) distinguishes itself during a battle and in return is granted a special honour and gets a nickname - for instance when there is no higher ranking officer during a battle (no general) and the commanding unit shows great courage on battlefield, it will be called after its commanding officer (you can see his name after the battle).

Also, some units despite not being militia will act as purely defensive forces and be kept at one place all time. They get their special nicknames too, mostly after the region/city/town they defend.

What do you guys think? What else can be done to further enhance the experience and make the game a little bit harder without making arbitrary house rules?

Default Re: Roleplayin the campaign

Good post+Rep. I haven't thought of house-rules or specific methods of role-playing to increase the difficulty. I'm merely providing the framework and doesn't play TW games a lot anymore.

Tomislawus have you tried commanding the army from FPP view. That is really challenging. You only see what your soldiers can see. No UAV battlefield control Suddenly that lone cavalry squadron you haven't seen because of the forest becames a problem

zxcvmnb's Avatar Semisalis

I hate to necro, I really do, but what is FPP view? I just ran a search on the NTW forums and nothing came up...

TGW Mod Official Unit Cutter-Outer

WarnerVH's Avatar Miles

I hate to necro, I really do, but what is FPP view? I just ran a search on the NTW forums and nothing came up...
    FPP is First Person Perspective. Which is that down on the soldier level view you get when you get to see the soldiers from the perspective of a single soldier in a unit. In Empire Total War you also had Ammo perspective. Where you would fly on the bullet or the cannon ball...

This is first person view in Napoleon Total War...

This... was "ammo" view... a cannon shot...

If you want another challenge try playing General View. It's now defunct in Empire and Napoleon; but it can be manually adhered to. General view was a view where you could only move around your captain or general. It was hard; but unrealistic.

If I may add some role playing elements that I play.....

Play your faction not as the human player trying to rule the world; but play as the historical aggression of the faction you control and only try to take and then hold the land they did historically. Also, if you play a faction, try to ally with only those factions that allied with that faction historically.

I do that and I like the game immensely.

Cheers!
    Last edited by WarnerVH; November 26, 2011 at 11:06 PM.