Thread: West Balkan (Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro)

Aru's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Default West Balkan (Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro)

I've been meaning to make this little travel log even before the trip but I was lazy to upload the photos until now. With the summer over and having nothing better to do...

So I was vacationing in Herceg Novi in Montenegro. Mainly because it was cheap, we made arrangements to vacation together with some other family members, and it's always a pleasure to go somewhere new. I specially wanted to see a bay of Kotor, but I was looking forward to exploring Montenegro in general, as well as nearby areas of Croatia (that is Dubrovnik, been there only once long ago). Unfortunately it didn't really end as planned as I was stranded in Herceg Novi because of, of all things, a parking space. I'll explain that later.

This was my route. Red is the way there, blue is the return trip. I will also explain later why different roads.

The rest of the post is in spoiler tags to make the reading of other posts easier.

Part 1: the voyage there

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

At around 4 AM we started the trip guided by little GPS device which will later bring us some adventure. Drive to the border with Bosnia was uneventful and dark, as was crossing the border, which I crossed literally a hundred times before.

But shortly after crossing the border my dad (who was driving) and I had a discussion about what road we'll take across Bosnia. GPS wasn't much help, entire Bosnia had only two roads on the map, and both were an option for us. Someone told my dad there is a motorway between Zenica and Sarajevo, so instead of going straight south across Tuzla we turned right towards Doboj and Zenica. This added first extra 30 minutes on what will turn out to be 12 hour trip. If you look at the map above you will notice there is a motorway going through entire Croatia from northeast to southeast. We actually contemplated taking that, twice longer, route because at average 150km/h we would get there sooner.But then there is extra gas to be spent, tolls to be paid and good chance of getting into traffic jams at tolls because it's a middle of tourist season. It was end of July, I forgot to mention.

Also, just as I started the trip, I noticed my camera was broken and had to use the reserve one, which was cheap and ate batteries like fat man eats kebabs. It's useless in dark so I have almost no photos until Doboj. And since I didn't sleep the night before the trip (i'm bad at waking up early) I was fighting too much to stay awake to take photos. Finally, I had too much fun enjoying the landscape to remember taking pictures. So there aren't many from the trip to the coast.

There wasn't much to photograph at start anyway. Northern Bosnia along Sava river is flat lands just like my home region. It's nice enough, clean and no war damages remain. And then it starts becoming hilly until you are in mountains suddenly.

When we reached Doboj my "take pictures you idiot" lamp didn't start yet, I was only trying to photograph a castle on the hill because I once had an argument if it's above Doboj or not.

Doboj is unremarkable enough from the road and we didn't stop there, so I won't bother you with more low quality photos. Apartment blocks mostly. The castle is in fact the Doboj Fortress which I hope to visit one day, since it's so close. Here's the panoramic view of Doboj from the fortress from Wikipedia.

After Doboj I actually fell asleep because the road just keeps winding through the mountains on and on forever. There were few towns which I failed to take pictures of, and of Zenica, one of bigger cities in Bosnia, as well. Zenica is basically like Doboj but without fortress above it. Instead it has huge rusty factories and many more apartment blocks. Most of former Yugoslavian heavy industry was in Bosnia (for strategic reasons: central position and with all the mountains more easy to defend in case of invasion from East or West).

Zenica is also home of most famous prison in Bosnia, place where some war criminals are held and such nice folk. Didn't spot it though.

Anyhow, past Zenica we finally came upon that Bosnian motorway. First as building site, and after few kilometers driving on dirt road, finally the real deal.

Since it's still under construction, there was no toll, or at least it didn't appear to have any until Sarajevo because you could get on and off motorway on many places without paying toll. But after some 20-30 km at the entrance to Sarajevo suddenly toll booths and 2 KM toll (konvertibilne marke -convertible marks = Bosnian currency. Pegged to Euro at 1€ for 2KM, previously pegged to Deutsch Mark at 1:1. In all Croat populated and most Muslim populated parts of bosnia you can also use Croatian Kuna, although they round it up at 4 kn for 1 KM when it should be closer to 3,7 kn as 1€ is 7,4 kn. You can also use Euro everywhere.)

Finally I reached Sarajevo, the city I'm ashamed I never visited in all my years and living only 3 hours from it. And to even bigger shame, I still haven't visited it properly. On the way to the coast we still had a long trip ahead and no time to stop, and on the way back it was too hot to walk the dog out. Yep, I was traveling with my Pug.

I didn't really take any photos of Sarajevo either. This is a poor travel log, I know. But I did on the way back, at least of modern city by the road, as I said I couldn't stop to get to the old center.

But for that I will now flood the post with photos of Hercegovina.

Hercegovina is the other half of the country name, but only the southernmost part of the country and haven't got clearly defined geographical borders. It starts somewhere half way between Sarajevo and Mostar and encompasses everything south of that line.

You know you entered Hercegovina when mountains suddenly stop being green and forested and become more and more rocky and bushy, and climate more Mediterranean. And as road pretty much goes from Croatian border almost to Sarajevo following river Bosna, the road through Hercegovina follows river Neretva.

It looks remarkable, like entire Bosnia, especially to me who lives in the plains. I will cover Hercegovina more when I write on return trip as I was now very tired and struggling to keep my eyes open until we reached Mostar. There we had another dilemma.

The map showed three ways to get to Montenegro. Over Trebinje in east Hercegovina or through Croatia. And you can get to Trebinje on two roads and both go around some big mountain and seem long and probably not in best condition. Oh yeah, I should mention roads all across Bosnia were from decent to good, except the few km's of dirt road where they were building motorway. few years ago I took similar route to Split and they were at best decent. My uncle came to Montenegro from Serbia, but part of the trip was through Eastern Bosnia and Hercegovina across Trebinje and the roads were terrible. Where we went traffic was dense, but there were no jams.

Anyway, i decided it's best to go through Croatia, we can trust the roads will be great and despite certain heavy traffic we get to pass by Dubrovnik, to see it from the hill at least if we don't get to visit it from Montenegro later. Besides, I never traveled through Dubrovnik county of Croatia by road, been there by plane only.

So down we went to Metković. Passed back into Croatia without much waiting on the border. We were supposed to go straight down to the coast and join the Adriatic Highway (Jadranska Magistrala - old two lane road going from Italy to Albania, but wide enough for smooth driving) towards Neum in Bosnia again. But our GPS had other plans.

In center of Metković GPS said to turn right. However the street to the right was pedestrian only. So we go around it through other streets. GPS thinks a little and shows new route. No problem, we thought, let's trust it. After few minutes out of Metković we notice road is very narrow and going into the hills. it, we thought, let's see where it goes. Half an hour later we're on the top of the hill driving on road not wide enough for two cars and overlooking entire Neretva delta below us. We pass two tiny villages and then finally after many narrow curves and no other cars on the road we came upon little container house with a single Bosnian border cop. No Croat border crossing at all. First thing he said "GPS?". Everything was clear, we're not the first ones taken here by it. Oh well, he says just move forward and you'll get off the hill in Bosnia.

After equally lengthy and narrow drive on the hill we finally join some bigger road, and then find a sign towards Neum. Yay! Meanwhile, GPS still wants us to go over the mountains. No thanks, this time we'll follow the road signs too. Not that it was anything wrong with taking this road. great views and we've seen some tiny villages in the middle of nowhere which made me wonder what the people there live of? Neretva delta valley is rich agricultural region and there's also tourism, but it's all down the hill. Up here there was nothing but naked rocks. Why would someone want to live there, so far from work and sea? Well, I guess people have their reasons.

The drive o the hill had another great side effect. At one point we ended up on cliff above Neum, the only coastal Bosnian city.

What you see on the photos here is basically entire Bosnian coastline. The bigger peninsula in the back is Croatia. Here you can read why Neum originally became part of Ottoman empire, and through it Bosnia. In modern history, post WW2 Yugoslavia defined interrepublic borders mostly based on demographics but in case of multinational Bosnia old Borders from Ottoman and Austrian times were reinstated, making Neum Bosnian, and Dubrovnik county cut off from rest of Croatia.

After Neum we were on, what appeared to me because I was sleepy, a short trip to Dubrovnik by coastal Adriatic Highway.

At one point due to misunderstanding we took a wrong turn and instead of going to Dubrovnik bridge we ended up under it. It was a good mistake, nevertheless.

And from there we also saw the cruiser port of Dubrovnik.

And finally the Jewel of Adriatic itself.

There's nothing I can say about the city which can't easily be found on the internet. It's even more beautiful than I remember. Sadly I didn't go down to the city. I want to, but not so much considering the expense and rivers of tourists. I've been there 15 years ago just after the war when there were much fewer tourists and seen the city in a way no one can see it today. Even then it was packed, now with 4 or 5 cruisers per day and not counting also tourists who stay there, it's too much. It really takes much from experience. Same was and is with Venice, for instance.

After Dubrovnik it was another hour or so to Herceg Novi. It was quite an adventure finding the hotel and all, but that's for the next post, as well as much more pictures. I struggled this entire trip to stay awake but I still had to write something about it. For me the trip itself, traveling between two locations and seeing things through the windshield or train/bus window is half the experience.
    Last edited by Aru; September 21, 2011 at 08:23 AM. Reason: spelling
    Has signatures turned off.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default Re: West Balkan (Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro)

Great to have another travel log here will read in more detail tomorrow. In the meantime have some rep

Part 2: Herceg Novi, Montenegro

From Dubrovnik it took another hour or so to Herceg Novi, which is just across the border from Croatia.

We had to pay 10€ Eco tax when entering the country. You get the sticker for the windshield and it lasts a year. IMHO it's a nasty way to make profit because I haven't really seen that money put into use. Not that Montenegro is dirty, but it's not particularly clean either, as it should be because they must earn a real bunch of money that way. I heard they'll abolish eco tax starting from 1.1.2012.

We didn't really know where our hotel is. Nor how it looked like. We knew the address, but that street was no where to be found and no one we asked knew about it. It took another hour to find it, not far from old city, but on the bottom of dead end street that goes zig-zag downwards. Street is just wide enough for one car, except at some places which are used as parking places. That turned out to be the problem, as once we parked the car first time, there was no unparking as we would lose parking space, so traveling around the country by car was not an option, sadly. I should add that online hotel description had internet and parking lot listed, and it had neither, but for that price (14€ per day with tax included, but no meals, it was actually apartment for rent, not a hotel proper) and with amazing view and position, it was worth it.

And the view from balcony...

The top of this hill marks the border between Croatia and Montenegro

We were at the top, third floor of the house looking straight at the entrance to the bay of Kotor, and we saw all traffic in and out of the bay.

Luckily we had a roof over the balcony, and the nice wind all the time blowing from the sea, so it was a perfect setting. We had air conditioning, but that refreshing wind made it unnecessary except the last day when temperatures were over 40°C and there was no wind at all. I practically spent 90% of time sitting in the shade and looking around from that balcony.

Now, we were separated from the main promenade by one row of houses. Down a few stairs and you're at the beach. Beaches weren't much really, the best sand beaches in Montenegro are further east down the coast. Here they were mostly concrete beaches in Herceg Novi and generally rocky and pebbly beaches in bay of Kotor.

These were just down the stairs from our apartment.

The thing I don't like about beaches in Montenegro is that they're private. Owned by hotels next to the beach. They are locked during the night and have guards. In Croatia hotel can rent the beach, but has no authority on it, they can only maintain it and rent seats and sun umbrellas. Here I was literally forced of one beach by the owner because I was walking the dog. There was no "no dogs" sign and if he was a bit more polite I wouldn't mind. I have also seen signs "only for guests of hotel" on the beaches. I came to value Croatian law that beach is public property and it can't be sold or anyone prevented to use it.

Although none of this affected my enjoyment there. I hate sunbathing and dislike swimming so I only entered the sea two times in 10 days. And you can mostly use any beach you want, for free of course. The sea was warm enough, although not tropical. Adriatic goes between 23-26° usually.

The city promenade went entire length of the coast of the city, actually it went from neighboring Igalo and possibly extended to other settlements in the east of HN, I haven't walked that far. Almost all along the promenade you have beaches and restaurants.

These are photos of the promenade in the early morning of second day.

Those two probably spent the night on the beach.

During the day it's packed with Russians and Serbs (from Belgrade mainly), those two being the most common guests in Herceg Novi. There are also some Bosnians. I could number the foreign cars with non-Belgrade licence plates with my fingers and toes (not counting those who just passed through HN).

Now ths is only the resort part of Herceg Novi. Up above my apartment building was few more streets of apartments and then a stretch of residential area. There was a small market and everything was cheaper than down on the promenade, definitively my advice for any travelers everywhere, forget fancy restaurants and shops and buy where locals buy. Since that area up the hill wasn't really attractive and you wouldn't see much tourists, even tourist oriented places are cheaper. I ordered a nice Balkan launch (all kinds of grilled meats like steak, chicken wing, bacon, pljeskavice, ćevapi, lepinje and tons of fries which were hand cut potato, not half finished like from supermarket and they also gave us onions for free) for a few Euros in one greasy looking shop and it was delicious, far better than anything restaurant made. I'm not certain about exact price, but I remember we discussed how portion for 5 persons cost little more than similar one or two person meal in one of the restaurants by the beach. 15-20€ I suppose.

If you walk the promenade towards the center you reach old town, which is sort of small compared to other similar sized Adriatic towns, but no less attractive.

This is gate with tower to oldest section of Herceg Novi

Small church of Archangel Michael

Other than promenade and old town houses and churches, HN has few other attractions.
    Two are in the town center itself, two forts.

One is Forte Mare built by Bosnian king Tvrtko I in 1382 in which I didn't enter. Only one part remains today and is on the coast.

The other is Kanli Kula

I climbed there from the old town up some overgrown path (still there was a guy to collect some entrance money) and later I exited through what appears a main entrance from the street above the old town.
    Nowadays it serves as open air cinema theater and when I was there movie festival was held.

Hello there

Somewhere around Herceg Novi is Španjola Fortress which I didn't get to see due to lack of car to drive there, and due to lazing around the balcony and doing nothing.

There is also Savina Monastery in which I wasn't too interested, but who is, it was near to my apartment. And a few other old churches.

Some other random info. Beer was between 1,5-2€ just like at home (on Croatian coast it's mostly 2€ or more) and local Montenegrin Nikšičko is good enough, my favorite there, but there's a bunch of foreign beers to choose.

Concerning food, the closer you are to the old city, the more expensive it is. Generally I ate fried squid, mixed meat (restaurant version of what i ordered from meat shop) and Karađorđe's steak in range of 9-15€ at promenade restaurants.
    Fast food was either ridiculously cheap or ridiculously expensive. At one place pljeskavica was 8€, at the next 4€, no difference in quality, both in the same area. Ordinary pizza (Capricciosa) was 4,50€ at pizzeria just below the apartment on the promenade and was very good. I had 2€ slice of pizza in old town bakery which tasted like pizza slices usually taste in bakeries, not like proper pizza at all, while down in pizzeria slice was 1,5€ and was the best slice of pizza I ever ate.

I'm not sure how is public transport, but there are travel agencies around which can take you to any attraction in Montenegro or to Dubrovnik. Sea is littered with water taxi's and boats which offer day trips to some fancy beaches around bay of Kotor.

I was expecting to make Herceg Novi my base for traveling around Montenegro, but failing that I only took one trip on boat around Kotor Bay, which will be the theme of my next post.

Part 3: Boka Kotorska

One day I went to the port of Herceg Novi and joined a tour boat for a tour of Boka Kororska (Kotor bay).

There are a lot of small boats going round the bay, offering anything from tours to simple transport. A man on the promenade suggested a certain boat for a tour of the bay and I went to find it.

But I was late, they already left on the tour that day and I returned to my room. It turned out to be a stroke of luck because that afternoon it was raining heavily, a proper storm. Only rain in 10 days. (not counting few drops one other morning).

Made for some nice photo shots.

You can see our street and how narrow and basically useless it is. I think this part of town was mostly built in 80's and 90's with no or little urban planning. Or they simply did it all wrong.

My dog didn't mind sitting on the rain, though.

The next day we found the boat successfully. It was old fishing boat transformed to very cute tourist boat. We were some 30 passengers from all over the place. Russians, Norwegians, Austrians, Serbs, Germans, Bosnians... Ticket is 40€ and the tour lasts from 10h-18h.

The crew were three, captain was middle aged, long haired legend of a dude, very fun guy who made the tour very interesting. The other guy was mainly doing the docking, and there was a hot girl who sunbathed most of the time, and occasionally served as waiter.

As we boarded captain came and talked with everyone. He was, of course, in every country and city we're from and had a thing or two to say about the places, immediately we were offered sweets. Later there was lunch (persciutto, cheese and grilled sausages), some free home made lozovaća (grape brandy) fruits and we could buy can of beer for 1,5€.

And off we go.

Herceg Novi

To the left is Savina Monastery.

This was fanciest hotel on montenegrin coast during Yugoslavia, according to the captain. Now it's in rather bad condition, but still works.

Then we passed by some military and coast guard. On the right:

I think this is navy water carrier.

Old Yugoslav navy ship and submarine tunnels. 100 meters long (or deep) I think. Said to be used for rave parties now.

I think this is the frigate Split.

To the left was first the Montenegrin coast guard base.

Old Yugoslav army/navy base. Badly in need of maintenance. Ships are mostly wasted, no maintenance can help them.

PV17.

After the base, also on the left, Bijela shipyard.

Working on a platform renovation.

Moving on; another Orthodox monastery, beaches and ferry port in Kamenjari.

The helm and views

And then our first stop, the little island and monastery of Gospa od Škrpjela (Our lady of the Rocks)

Town of Perast

Next stop was village of Prčanj, to our right, just before the town of Kotor. Someone said it had warmest water in the bay. I wouldn't know, I didn't swim.

Our little sea vehicle

Statue of Croatian panslavic bishop

Monument to partisans

Approaching Kotor we passed by two cruisers. I don't like Cruisers or the idea of traveling like that, but the one with sails is marvelous. Sails under Maltese flag.

And finally the town of Kotor, jewel of the bay. We were only for an hour and a half in Kotor. Just enough to get the feel of the town. It's generally another nice walled Adriatic-Venetian town. Old town significantly bigger than Herceg Novi.

Waterpolo grounds of 'Primorje' club.

Old walls and fortress above the city. 45 minutes climb, couldn't make it.

What were they thinking!?!

Commemoration plaque to rebellion of sailors of Austro-Hungarian navy. Communists attributed the rebellion to October revolution, but it was not related.

I wasn't long in Kotor, after it we headed back to HN, but not before stopping in Perast. It's the town across the island monastery. Looks bigger than it is, pop just over 300, but a lot of old houses are bought by rich and Russians.

I climbed the bell tower for 1€ (some 150 stairs) for a nice view of the bay.

Then heading back to Herceg Novi

And there we are.

Next: trip home with visit to Mostar in Hercegovina.

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Great work dude! How long did you stay and who did you go with? Family or friends?

Comes Domesticorum

Amazing pictures man.

I was kinda hoping that hot girl would show up somewhere though :/

Been more times to Herceg always found it boring compared to croatian coast .
    It becomes more and more a Russian colony .

And who are Bosnians ?

Does the name " Pogreb X " means something to you ?
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; September 25, 2011 at 02:09 PM.

dimnjacar's Avatar Civis

Nice I traveled through those roads more than 20 years ago. Would be great to see it again.. Thumbs up mate.

Cheers
    I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know

Quote Originally Posted by Boustrophedon View Post
    Great work dude! How long did you stay and who did you go with? Family or friends?
    Family. Me, parents, uncle and aunt. Not that it matters, didn't stop us from getting drunk couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by King Stavroforos View Post
    Amazing pictures man.

I was kinda hoping that hot girl would show up somewhere though :/
    Third picture from the last, on the boat. Can't see much, though. I dislike taking pictures of people, generally.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind View Post
    Been more times to Herceg always found it boring compared to croatian coast .
    It becomes more and more a Russian colony .

And who are Bosnians ?

Does the name " Pogreb X " means something to you ?
    I don't mind Russians, it's all the same where tourists are from. At least language is nicer to listen than Dutch or, gods forbid, Danish.

Bosnians are people from Bosnia. Does it matter of which tribe?

Yes, I know the singer and guitar player. Both emigrated to Australia few months ago. Singer returned because he had to work all day for a living. Not something he was used to doing here.

Quote Originally Posted by dimnjacar View Post
    Nice I traveled through those roads more than 20 years ago. Would be great to see it again.. Thumbs up mate.

Cheers
    After 20 years almost nothing is the same on any road I passed.

Bosnians are people from Bosnia. Does it matter of which tribe?
    Just asking .
    Yes, I know the singer and guitar player. Both emigrated to Australia few months ago. Singer returned because he had to work all day for a living. Not something he was used to doing here.
    Dude I'm jealous at you . To bad they won't play anymore .
    Last edited by The Despondent Mind; September 25, 2011 at 06:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mind View Post
    Dude I'm jealous at you . To bad they won't play anymore .
    Speaking of them, my uncle, the one I was at this holiday with, was in the original cast of the band back in the 80's.

Alright, let's finish this. After 10 days in Montenegro finally time to go home, and I was homesick for sure.

This time follow the blue line. We have decided to take the shortest route home over Tuzla (northern blue line) because 25km of Bosnian motorway isn't worth going across Zenica, and to stay on Adriatic highway instead of following the instructions of GPS and traversing the goat paths on the hills (little blue line on the coast).

One last look from the balcony at 4 AM.

This time on Montenegro-Croatian border we waited over half an hour. The Croatian cop actually asked us what were we doing in Montenegro. I said vacationing, and he looked as if we've done some unpatriotic treason. People from Dubrovnik county don't like Montenegro much, with the bombardment of Dubrovnik and all. No big deal, but his attitude irritated me. On the other hand, when we were entering Montenegro one of border cops was from my town and few other cops called him to come and had a nice, friendly chat with us, asking us what's new in his neighborhood.

We didn't get far into Croatia, few minutes driving, when we had to stop. Huge line of cars standing, no information why or how long it is. Nothing on the radio either. I took the chance to take some pictures.

This ship is just in front of Dubrovnik's Old Town

Little less than an hour later traffic finally moves on. Few kilometers later we see 3 crashed cars on the trucks parked by the road. That's why everything stopped moving. Few more kilometers on a lot of plastic on the sides of the road and parts of road covered with sand. It was quite a bad crash, happened just in a middle of very narrow curve cut into the hill with cliffs at both sides.

Across Dubrovnik bridge again, unfortunately named after our first president.

And then we pass by Pelješac peninsula and I see the Walls of Ston, some of the longest defensive walls in Europe, the "European Wall of China". Sadly, not much can be seen from this side, but at least something.

Sadly, trees by the road were obstructing my view, to take better pictures. Oh, and a bridge is currently being constructed between Pelješac and mainland Croatia to make it unnecessary to enter Bosnia when going to Dubrovnik. It will actually make the road to Dubrovnik longer, but will ease geostrategic position of southernmost Croatian county. It is still debatable whether a special border deal with Bosnia would be better, or constructing closed motorway through Bosnia. Anything would be cheaper than the bridge, but would mean Bosnia can lock up the border when they want, even though there is little reason or chance they would ever do that, specially since Croats live across the border in Hercegovina.

And then after crossing into Bosnia to pass through Neum, than back to Croatia, we were again at the border to Bosnia. All within an hour. You gotta love Balkan.

Border town of Metković, place where we took the wrong turn up to the hills on the first trip. Metković seems like a nice Mediterranean little town, it would be well know if it was just a few kilometers west, at the sea coast.

One's not supposed to take pictures of border crossing. Yes sir! (by the inclusion of inner parts of car on the photo you can see that I was actually careful not to be seen although I doubt anyone would notice even if I wasn't careful or that anyone would care if they saw me. Still there's a chicken in me that just had to be sure. I'm ashamed of myself, but what can you do...)

Welcome to the Republic of Bosnia and Herzegovina and more precisely to it's Muslim-Croat half called Federation of Bosnia and Hercegovina or even more precisely to the Herzegovina-Neretva Canton, previously part of unrecognized Croat Republic of Herzeg-Bosnia. Confused?

Not far from there...

I saw the signs saying what fort is this several times but I can't remember now. Gotta check Google Earth...
    Yeah, that's Sahat-tower in Počitelj. Well the tower under the walls is, Bosnian wiki says the walls are of the mosque of Šišman Ibrahim-pasha (sorry no English wiki). I suppose technically the walls are medieval walls of Počitelj. If this was in any Western European country it would be world famous, I suppose...

Moving further into Hercegovina I noticed mountains look as if they're flattened so that electricity poles can be set on top. Must be accidentally so when viewing from this location, but I found it interesting.

Orthodox (I guess) church just outside Mostar.

Welcome to Mostar

Another random mosque. If there were no minarets, Bosnian traditional mosques would basically be in (Turkish) byzantine style. I don't mind minarets either, where minaret is present so is a huge church tower. It's funny to observe how they compete who'll build higher, sometimes it's bizarre.

Engrish in Mostar

Mostar is one of major cities in Bosnia and center of Croatian community in Bosnia, though it's actually split between Bosniaks and Croats and along Neretva river.

We wanted to park in Croatian, western, side of the city just as precaution and for the sake of our car. Croats and Muslims warred in Mostar ferociously and still don't get along, and even though I heard many stories about their split and how it can get violent, I don't quite believe them all. The chance to suffer any inconvenience on grounds of nationality is 1 in many thousands, practically insignificant, but you can never be sure. But as we couldn't find parking spot we'd settle for anywhere in the center, to hell with politics. Finally we found parking spot, it was on the western side by chance, but it really doesn't matter.

Unique Austro-Hungarian Bosnian architecture

Approaching old city

Two things disappointed me about Mostar. Urban jungle on the outskirts and lack of repair of war damages.

Ridiculously high church tower

I grew up hearing about Mostar bridge but I honestly had no idea such lovely Turkish old town is around it.

Eventually my Pug got overheated so we had to get back to the car and continue the trip. It was scorching hot. But at least I can say I was in Mostar. Who knows, I may pass through it and visit again.

After Mostar we decided to cool down and stop at one of many roadside restaurants for famous lamb. It's sort of tradition here when you travel through those Dinaric areas to eat lamb, not just in Bosnia. And roadside restaurants sure deliver. This is but a fraction of the lamb rolling at this restaurant, there were at least 20 of them. And the place was packed, many cars and two or three buses. And between Mostar and Sarajevo alone there are dozens of lamb restaurants. Marvelous! You pay in kilo's, but kill me if I can remember how much is kilo of lamb.

The plan was to stop in Sarajevo and visit the site of archduke's unfortunate death and eat ćevapi at Baščaršija, but it was too hot to take the puppy out for a walk, so we just took as long drive through Sarajevo main avenue as possible.
    sadly, only modern construction to see, but I'm a fan of that too.

Sarajevo is leading Balkan town in skyscraper construction (besides Istanbul which is really out of competition).

This is the avenue crossing which was lethal during the siege due to snipers. This building is seat of Bosnian government.

Avaz twist tower, highest skyscraper in Balkans, 172m. (again, not counting Istanbul)

Holiday Inn hotel, where most foreign journalists were situated during the Siege.

Closest I got to the center

Cool tramway

The coolest apartment blocks I've ever seen! Just needs repainting. Yeah, I'm in favor of modernist solutions for communal living.

1984 Olympics

I'm not sure is this in Sarajevo actually, but it's nearby at least. Modern mosque, one of two I've seen. I kind of like super-modern design. As long as it remains unique, build another one and it's too much, too ugly.

As I wrote before, we took another route north from Sarajevo. Will never go that way again. The road through Zenica has a lot of turns and is slow, but this one takes you across 1500m mountains on the roads which encircle mountains and drop 500 meters to again go up 500 meters. The road is narrow and even though there's not much traffic, it's painfully slow with o place for overtaking. I was slowly dying inside following a truck for 45 minutes. There are almost no settlements till Tuzla and even gas pumps are sparse, which makes you worry when you're driving on reserve.

Sure it makes for some breath taking views, but vegetation is dense and I couldn't take much pictures. In fact, only three bad ones!

We just passed by Tuzla and all I could see was huge power plant. No biggie, there's always time to tavel to Tuzla or Sarajevo, they're nearby enough for a day trip.

And as we were going more and more into the flat lands I felt more and more at home.

Back to our vineyards

And endless fields

And oak forests

And wide streets (at least compared to the smaller seaside towns)

Colorful buildings not made of stone. Gods I was sick of stone.

And wide open spaces, parks and squares

(my older photos)

Home sweet home.

And that's it.

My other trips on this forum:

crazy_glista's Avatar Libertus

Awesome, im from north Bosnia - Brcko!

Quote Originally Posted by crazy_glista View Post
    Awesome, im from north Bosnia - Brcko!
    Howdy neighbor! I've been to Brčko a few times. Well it's hard not to take a stroll there once in a while when going from Arizona market.