Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

My dog "Sluggo" hates it when people through dried up bones at his feet and act like they're doing him a favor.
    Last edited by Jab5450; September 20, 2011 at 09:44 PM.

Team Member--Living in the Day of the Eagle! The Eagle not the Dove--

Yoda Twin's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Quote Originally Posted by Jab5450 View Post
    My dog "Sluggo" hates it when people through dried up bones at his feet and act like they're doing him a favor.
    They're taking time out of their day to be interviewed, knowing quite well that they're going to recieve some of the responses already said, have some appreciation. And what "dry bones"? Did you really think an interview with a site as small as twc (not that I dont love it) would hold a massive release of information? Respect and enjoy the interview for what it is, a small peak into the lives of professional game developers and how they go about their business.

To the interview, i wish my university had an ice-cream wednesday
    Last edited by Yoda Twin; September 20, 2011 at 11:54 PM.
    Minister for Home Affairs of the Commonwealth v Zentai [2012] HCA 28 per Heydon J at [75]

Analysis should not be diverted by reflections upon the zeal with which the victors at the end of the Second World War punished the defeated for war crimes. The victors were animated by the ideals of the Atlantic Charter and of the United Nations. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights was about to peep over the eastern horizon. But first, they wanted a little hanging.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Somebody must get a hold of Gudmononsen or was it Gudmo-what-its-name or just plain the AI guy and interview him.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

To answer the question about how much research we do, the answer is a lot. My desk tends to disappear under a pile of books when doing research for each game, though now I have a cupboard I've laid claim to to keep all the books in. For an upcoming project (alas, cannot say what yet), there are at least 60 books I've been using for unit research as well as online sources, and we have a lot more books elsewhere in the office that other teams are using.

I also don't buy the DLC v modding argument of having to do one or the other. The unit packs sell well, even though there are unit pack mods out there. There is a an audience for both. And we also want to provide a variety of DLCs, from small unit packs to larger campaigns.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lusted View Post
    To answer the question about how much research we do, the answer is a lot. My desk tends to disappear under a pile of books when doing research for each game, though now I have a cupboard I've laid claim to to keep all the books in. For an upcoming project (alas, cannot say what yet), there are at least 60 books I've been using for unit research as well as online sources, and we have a lot more books elsewhere in the office that other teams are using.

I also don't buy the DLC v modding argument of having to do one or the other. The unit packs sell well, even though there are unit pack mods out there. There is a an audience for both. And we also want to provide a variety of DLCs, from small unit packs to larger campaigns.
    I think, indeed, that a lot of research is done. But what should never happen again is something like the units of Empire: all the same rooster and uniforms for all the countries. Since NTW, I think players expect real historical units, different for each country, it's sure it make the new total war game more valuable.

And that is certainly something we aim for, Shogun 2 though being constrained more by the time period and setting. The way we make units as well since Napoleon also helps make sure we can provide more variety of unit looks for the same art time. Hence the big leap from Empire to Napoleon in terms of variety of looks.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Ybbon's Avatar The Way of the Buffalo
    spy of the council

Some of the popular mods are based on fantasy series like FATW and the Westeros ones, has there ever been any consideration to go down that fictional route, some of the fiction such as LoTR (and personally I'd love a Malazan Empire one) has fully realised worlds but the unit roster would allow your devs and artists some creative license? Is there any chance that would be a route to take or not?

And a second question, I'm still way back (not got ETW or NTW much less STW2 yet), but are CA looking to the next big version (akin to STW2, ETW, RTW) or are you still focused on STW2 at the moment? Would there ever be a chance to maybe poll user sites such as TWC for ideas/preferences for the next release - obviously with serious riders that the poll is not decisive just an indicator?

Oh, and importantly, have you won any more 5-a-side Craig after the glorious 5-1 win earlier this summer?
    Last edited by Ybbon; September 21, 2011 at 06:32 AM.

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus spy of the council

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    OK, Craig, don't feel insulted here, but I'm strapped for cash, do I go for :

a) A free mod that adds plenty of units and factions (like the old real modding)
    b) The official CA DLC, that I have to skip lunch for even though the units are slightly different.

Your market isn't there. While some loyal fans and casual gamers who know nothing about modding will buy your product, others will settle for a mod.
    Man you're like 10 years in the past. I heard the same arguments about the Steam Platform "not having a market ever" in 2003 when it first got launched. I'd go as far as to say your take on modding being vs DLC is "absolutely ridiculous"!

DLC you can make plenty of cash on and it isn't DLC vs Modding. DLC takes advantage of being able to connect with customers, through Steam etc, instantly with shipping and packaging costs removed. It's also convenient. If you look at the figures on DLC sales generally - not just on the PC platform by any means, then honestly, it's flat in contradiction to "your market isn't there".
    To answer the question about how much research we do, the answer is a lot. My desk tends to disappear under a pile of books when doing research for each game, though now I have a cupboard I've laid claim to to keep all the books in. For an upcoming project (alas, cannot say what yet)
    You know there's a game I don't see get mentioned a lot being a non-PC title - Spartan: Total Warrior! Was one of my favourites on the Xbox platform (One of my favourite games generally in fact)....I'd love to see something like that again it was fantastic. Samurai: Total Warrior - now that would be sick! What's your guy's thoughts on Spartan: Total Warrior? Because I thought it was pretty awesome!

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Quote Originally Posted by Omnipotent-Q View Post
    Man you're like 10 years in the past. I heard the same arguments about the Steam Platform "not having a market ever" in 2003 when it first got launched. I'd go as far as to say your take on modding being vs DLC is "absolutely ridiculous"!

DLC you can make plenty of cash on and it isn't DLC vs Modding. DLC takes advantage of being able to connect with customers, through Steam etc, instantly with shipping and packaging costs removed. It's also convenient. If you look at the figures on DLC sales generally - not just on the PC platform by any means, then honestly, it's flat in contradiction to "your market isn't there".

You know there's a game I don't see get mentioned a lot being a non-PC title - Spartan: Total Warrior! Was one of my favourites on the Xbox platform (One of my favourite games generally in fact)....I'd love to see something like that again it was fantastic. Samurai: Total Warrior - now that would be sick! What's your guy's thoughts on Spartan: Total Warrior? Because I thought it was pretty awesome!

Somebody like Duncan Bannatyne doesn't care what his customers think...
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

sinople's Avatar These Romans are crazy!

Great interview, I do agree with the part speaking about Medieval I - Viking Invasion !

Anyway, I'd like to have the opinion of Jack and Craig about this proposal : http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=480240 (about the game engine). You said modding was good for games and that people are still playing/buying M2TW (see how much people are reading Kingdoms hosted mods forum), so what about that ?

Thanks.

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I am guessing they are already busy with the new game, 60 books would not be needed for just a DLC package of shogun 2.

My bet would be on the announcement being made next year sometimes, maybe march or something like that. Best to let shogun 2 do its thing for now before announcing a new game, they went too fast with napoleon after empire as well after all.

A great interview my congrats. I got to admit that as other said it's obvious that they made a escape in some questions but they already explained it and I fully understand.

@Craig

In name of the Imperial Splendour III team I hope you will like what we are developing now.

Good work everybody, hope to see more interviews of this kind

Edit: Just a curiosity I'm having and that it would be great if you guys could answer me,

Craig and Jack Lusted, did you ever modded TW titles made with your collaboration as to give them some more personal touches?
    Last edited by ForteS; September 22, 2011 at 04:13 PM.

UNDER THE MOST HONORABLE PATRONAGE OF: Legio!
    PATRON OF: Wangrin, ♔Sir Digby Chicken Caesar♔, Geronimo2006 and Narf!

Kjertesvein's Avatar Remember to smile
    Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won

Ok, first I wrote the first quote 10 seconds after reading the interview and the first replies.
    Q: "Hey mate, I'm making some ice cream. What kind of ice cream do you prefer?"

A: It would be something epic. Something that would give me the opportunity to really stretch my ice cream’s legs. For me, that’s what ice cream is – all about!

A2: Oooh a tricky question, for me there are many ice cream flavors that would be fantastic for dessert.

Idk man, how about something in the line of:

"I don't want to answer that. I know within five seconds of this interview being up, everyone will think whatever the answer is will be our next game even if it isn't. "
    But then, as I started to read the pages I understood that the great interview was jet to come, that what I had written need' no reply - thanks!

A serious question, that I have not seen in anywhere else. It's about internal intrigue of a faction.

I'm a long time Deus lo Vult player (a M2TW mod), and I love the rpg elements it includes. There is however one thing I miss from the TW genre completely, and that is the intrigue between characters of one's own faction. Nothing is personal, every character follow orders. The player say jump, the character say "How high sire?" The only thing stopping the player is a tiny bar called "loyalty", which never sees to fall under 5 points.

Come on guys. Take M2TW, it's the medieval France, and we are looking at a 21-century nation-state. Where is the son-in-law betrayal? The trickeries? The plots to topple the king (player)? The uprising and the civil war? To choose an heir among your competing sons? Where are the cloak and daggers?

Does it sound rhetorical, well, perhaps it is. BTW: Post 5000.

~Wille
    Last edited by Kjertesvein; September 23, 2011 at 10:06 PM.
    Thorolf was thus armed. Then Thorolf became so furious that he cast his shield on his back, and, grasping his halberd with both hands, bounded forward dealing cut and thrust on either side. Men sprang away from him both ways, but he slew many. Thus he cleared the way forward to earl Hring's standard, and then nothing could stop him. He slew the man who bore the earl's standard, and cut down the standard-pole. After that he lunged with his halberd at the earl's breast, driving it right through mail and body, so that it came out at the shoulders; and he lifted him up on the halberd over his head, and planted the butt-end in the ground. There on the weapon the earl breathed out his life in sight of all, both friends and foes. [...] 53, Egil's Saga
    I must tell you here of some amusing tricks the Comte d'Eu played on us. I had made a sort of house for myself in which my knights and I used to eat, sitting so as to get the light from the door, which, as it happened, faced the Comte d'Eu's quarters. The count, who was a very ingenious fellow, had rigged up a miniature ballistic machine with which he could throw stones into my tent. He would watch us as we were having our meal, adjust his machine to suit the length of our table, and then let fly at us, breaking our pots and glasses.
    - The pranks played on the knight Jean de Joinville, 1249, 7th crusade.

http://imgur.com/a/DMm19
    Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    This is the only forum I visit with any sort of frequency and I'm glad it has provided a home for RTR since its own forum went down in 2007. Hopefully my donation along with others from TWC users will help get the site back to its speedy heyday, which will certainly aid us in our endeavor to produce a full conversion mod Rome2.

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kjertesvein View Post
    A serious question, that I have not seen in anywhere else. It's about internal intrigue of a faction.
    ~Wille
    Hope this won't be off topic here.

The above can be scripted in M2TW to a certain extent (dropping loyalty, sending characters off map, spawning them in an emerging faction, killing characters by script).
    There is a loyalty\crowning script somewhere already, can't remember the name.

If they did TW WWII it would be one of the best seller games ever.

Quote Originally Posted by oOIYvYIOo View Post
    If they did TW WWII it would be one of the best seller games ever.
    Nah, we don't know that. Warfare changed so much in WW2 that we can't predict how CA would implement it, and how successful that implementation would be. However, the strategic side of things I think CA would excel at, and that alone may be enough to buy the game. But if the battles aren't there, it's only half Total War.

As for the interview, it was a nice little insight into two developers and anyone who expected it to be very in-depth or complex is being a little unrealistic. This is a community fansite interviewing developers here. It sucks not knowing certain things or not having your specific questions answered, but that's just how PR works sometimes. Both Craig and Jack have posted in this thread, clarifying some things and expanding upon others, so why focus only on one interview? Good job TWC. I like the fact that more of this community interaction will be coming in the future, and that CA is making an effort.

Lonck's Avatar Centenarius

Since CA is reading this: Could you guys release a patch for m2tw kingdoms that increases faction slots and increase settlement limit? This way stainless steel can include more factions. Also, make your future TW games more modable not the other way around. Don't you ppl make enough money already?
    Last edited by Lonck; September 28, 2011 at 05:48 AM.

mfdoom's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Football Manager: Total War
    That would be awesome!FM is the most addictive game ever.They should make it a Class A drug.Can't wait for 12.

wangrin's Avatar Unguibus et Rostro
    Patrician Artifex

What is the process you follow to create a faction's units roster ?
    I mean, what parameters do you consider to decide to add/create units and to choose a particular design and who decide it ?

« Le courage, c’est de ne pas subir la loi du mensonge triomphant qui passe, et de ne pas faire écho de notre âme, de notre bouche et de nos mains aux applaudissements imbéciles et aux huées fanatiques.. » Jean JAURES

z3n's Avatar State of Mind
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lonck View Post
    Since CA is reading this: Could you guys release a patch for m2tw kingdoms that increases faction slots and increase settlement limit? This way stainless steel can include more factions. Also, make your future TW games more modable not the other way around. Don't you ppl make enough money already?
    First, I'm fairly certain faction slots are hardcoded (I'm not very familiar with mtw2 yet but they were in RTW) and settlement limits are also hardcoded.

Second, CA members have expressed regret over the fact that TW games have recently become less modable however they have released several helpful tools that have increased the modding compatibility of their games.
    The AI Workshop Creator
    Europa Barbaroum II AI/Game Mechanics Developer
    The Northern Crusades Lead Developer
    Classical Age Total War Retired Lead Developer
    Rome: Total Realism Animation Developer
    RTW Workshop Assistance MTW2 AI Tutorial & Assistance
    Broken Crescent Submod (M2TW)/IB VGR Submod (BI)/Animation (RTW/BI/ALX)/TATW PCP Submod (M2TW)/TATW DaC Submod (M2TW)/DeI Submod (TWR2)/SS6.4 Northern European UI Mod (M2TW)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast