Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Daily's Avatar Flingin' ma mace son
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Good interview Belisarius and thanks yet again to Jack and Craig that they open up to us!
    Proud patron of Confederate Jeb and FalconPilot
    View how Grouchy makes a Hoplon shield!

CraigTW's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by ^OvO^ View Post
    Some hardcodes might be linked to the actual souce codes. I'm sure CA wont release that. Might have as well make games for free then.
    A lot of it isn't even down to us. There are a lot of hoops to jump through legally, both on our side and the publisher side that make it an awful lot of work to do with time that we really need to devote elsewhere.

If we had unlimited resources, we'd definitely do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Humble Warrior View Post
    And when will you allow an optional non-Steam version of your games, Jack Lusted and Craig?
    If you're really passionate about the issue, as I know you are, write to SEGA - there's no use giving myself or Jack a hard time about it. Digital publishing, like retail publishing, is handled through our publisher. I have passed on your concerns in this regard before, but by all means do chase up.

For what it's worth (and I'm just being 100% honest with you here), I can't see SEGA changing their stance anytime soon - and given the benefits we get from it on the developer side (and the associated dev costs with moving away from the platform) I think we'd find it hard to support a move away too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dubh the dark View Post
    What I'd like to know is how much historical research goes into each game.

Does the CA office turn into Oxford for a few months each year?
    I'll let Jack answer this one, but the short answer is a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by AnthoniusII View Post
    Forgive me if i misunderstand what you say.
    But does your words could mean a full unlock of the game after 2-3 years when there will be no new DLCs?
    Then why CA did not help modding community wiyh still locked files (like world ones) for M2TW that is a game of 5 years old?
    Cracking is a very serius crime indeed. but company's policy is/will be not only for S2 but also for previus games.
    Facts :
    In interviews CA admits that M2TW and RTW sold as many copies in their "2nd" life as in their 1st couple of years.
    If that's true did the modding communities help in this promotion?
    If yes why CA still refuses to unlock features of those old games?
    If that restriction exists for old games how can we expect a CA's help in modding (fully modding and not just recoloring) in newst games even after a couple of years?

I hope that my aufull english did not allow me to see a helpfull future in your answers.
    If that is the cause I apologise.
    AnthoniusII
    I think I understand your questions, thanks for taking the time to write them.

To be clear on something first: Medieval 2 was developed by the Australian studio, who are now SEGA Studios Brisbane, so we don't really have any control over that codebase as such. I doubt we'd be able to make a decision to do anything with it without involving a lot of parties.

For Rome, well that's probably the most moddable game we've released - and I would absolutely agree that modding helped sell additional copies of it later in its life. If you're asking why we don't give the game away open source, that's something we can't do as we still sell copies of Rome.

There's always going to be a limit in terms of how much of the game is open to modding. A lot of it is hardcoded, and that's increasingly been the trend as we look to streamline load times, etc. However, there are guys on the inside looking out for the interests of the modding community - the future is as yet unwritten.

Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Nice interview, thanks for doing it. One question I have, anyway:what's next in terms of support for modding?
    Thanks, Huberto. Hopefully my post above helps answer this question to an extent. I'm sorry it's vague, but we really are pushing for greater support.

I can't really say much more than that right now, unfortunately.
    Last edited by Ishan; September 20, 2011 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Double Posts

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

You must have a tie in with capcom for a Sengoku Basara themed DLC for Shogun 2.

That way it'll penetrate the Japanese fujoshi demographics.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

Surely you realise that you can't have both modding and DLC? Surely you must give one up (hopefully DLC for us, most likely modding)? Why are you pretending otherwise?
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

Quote Originally Posted by The Illusionist View Post
    Surely you realise that you can't have both modding and DLC? Surely you must give one up (hopefully DLC for us, most likely modding)? Why are you pretending otherwise?
    There's always going to be a market for studio-produced content (not that some mods aren't excellent), so I don't see why it has to be a straight choice.

That's the way I see it anyway.

I love how this seems to have turned into a Q&A! Its so nice to see this happening on TWC
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

i just want more info on prepatch veterans, level 5 bonzai loan swords, AARRGGHH!!!!
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Quote Originally Posted by AlfonsoVIII View Post
    i just want more info on prepatch veterans, level 5 bonzai loan swords, AARRGGHH!!!!
    Just gave you a (short) quick answer on this in the other thread. If I don't get back to you tomorrow, please do give me a reminder!

Quote Originally Posted by CraigTW View Post
    Just gave you a (short) quick answer on this in the other thread. If I don't get back to you tomorrow, please do give me a reminder!
    i have jackie fish in my pocket, he will remind you, lol. cheers.
    Create a Multiplayer Army Online at: www.shogun2armycreator.netne.net
    Your Unofficial Shogun 2 Tech Support Genius
    Visit my Youtube Channel
    Shogun 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic Gameplay

http://www.youtube.com/itsmymillertime

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

Personally, I've always been a massive fan of medieval history, particularly English medieval history, so I'd love to see another Medieval: Total War at some point.
    It's too early now for another, but I would definatly like to see another medieval total war again in the future.

There is just so much more that could still be done with it, I am sure you guys will want to add drawbridges and moats into total war at some point.
    That alone would make the siege battles completely different.

Medieval naval battles are also something that never gets much attention, with the crusades and the Venetians, I see a lot of potential there too.

And with the battle improvements of recent total war titles, the field battles would be much more interesting as well, with unique regiments, much improved finishing moves, unique generals and maybe flails and morning stars will be possible as well at that point.

I'd say wait for another medieval untill you guys can add flails, moats and drawbridges.

To finish with a question though, is there any chance of something like the avatar editor being added to singleplayer at some point in the total war franchise? I can see it not happening with shogun 2, but many of us where rather disappointed that its only for multiplayer. I believe most people play only single player or prefer it over multiplayer when it comes to total war.
    Last edited by Inhuman One; September 20, 2011 at 02:18 PM.

King Gambrinus's Avatar Primicerius

There's always going to be a market for studio-produced content (not that some mods aren't excellent), so I don't see why it has to be a straight choice.

That's the way I see it anyway.
    OK, Craig, don't feel insulted here, but I'm strapped for cash, do I go for :

a) A free mod that adds plenty of units and factions (like the old real modding)
    b) The official CA DLC, that I have to skip lunch for even though the units are slightly different.

Your market isn't there. While some loyal fans and casual gamers who know nothing about modding will buy your product, others will settle for a mod. You must surely be thinking of creating more kingdoms and rise of the samurai style expansions if you want modding, but selling off factions and units that can easily be replaced (not identically of course) by free modding? Not sustainable financially for you guys, and unfair on modders who are limited to certain factions.

Remember my definition of a moddable TW game is one where you can make and edit your own units, maps, factions, etc...I think I speak for everyone when I say this (?)...

So if you want to support modding, and sustain DLC your first step should be to get rid of Unit packs and faction sell-outs, and go down the RoS/Kingdoms/Peninsular (I won't mention Warpath, sorry).

/rant, Craig, sorry
    Fear not, crusader, Prester John will save you from the wrath of the Devil.

@Craig
    Taking an opportunity to ask Craig a few questions. Firstly, the most important one.
    I have an information, that, because of great busyness (Alien project, add-on Rise of Samurai, complete new engine for future TW games, etc.) CA is going to take a break for a couple of years (so the scheme 1TW/1YEAR won't work) and concentrate on creating the new engine to develop some great TW on it in the future.
    So, the question is: are you still going to develop some TW on Warscape or you will take a break and we will see some completely new TW after several years?

AngryTitusPullo's Avatar Comes Limitis

Do mods kills DLC ? No.
    Do DLC kills mods ? No.

So what's wrong with having both ?

If it's sold doesn't mean everyone have to buy it.
    If it's free doesn't mean everyone have to download it.

CIVITATVS CVM AVGVSTVS XVI, MMVI
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB Dromikaites SVB MareNostrum SVB Quintus Maximus
    Want to know more about Rome II Total Realism ? Follow us on Twitter & Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Crescent View Post
    @Craig
    Taking an opportunity to ask Craig a few questions. Firstly, the most important one.
    I have an information, that, because of great busyness (Alien project, add-on Rise of Samurai, complete new engine for future TW games, etc.) CA is going to take a break for a couple of years (so the scheme 1TW/1YEAR won't work) and concentrate on creating the new engine to develop some great TW on it in the future.
    So, the question is: are you still going to develop some TW on Warscape or you will take a break and we will see some completely new TW after several years?
    I can't really say at the moment, else it becomes us "announcing an announcement", or intentionally not - either of which are newsworthy. We're not really in a position to discuss our plans yet, but when we are I'll let you know.

@Craig, thanks for a quick reply!
    Well, a couple of less specific questions. Answer them, if it's possible.
    1.Won’t the future TW games suffer from moving to other platforms (simplification of gameplay, UI, etc.)?
    2. Multiplayer in Shogun 2 was just perfect, the evolution of on-line mode is clear. At the same time, geographical scale of Shogun 2 is rather small. Won’t this become a trend? Won’t the TW series become just multiplayer-oriented, MMO game, like WoW?
    3. Are you planning to develop the RPG-like system, which we’ve seen in Shogun 2?
    4. Is it possible to create complicated siege system with special technic (like rams, ladders, siege towers) on the Warscape?
    5. Is it possible to create shield-using system (when units use shield as sterling protective mean) on the Warscape?
    6. Will you develop strategic and economic component of the game, so it will be interesting to play without necessity of constant fighting?

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Crescent View Post
    @Craig, thanks for a quick reply!
    Well, a couple of less specific questions. Answer them, if it's possible.
    1.Won’t the future TW games suffer from moving to other platforms (simplification of gameplay, UI, etc.)?
    2. Multiplayer in Shogun 2 was just perfect, the evolution of on-line mode is clear. At the same time, geographical scale of Shogun 2 is rather small. Won’t this become a trend? Won’t the TW series become just multiplayer-oriented, MMO game, like WoW?
    3. Are you planning to develop the RPG-like system, which we’ve seen in Shogun 2?
    4. Is it possible to create complicated siege system with special technic (like rams, ladders, siege towers) on the Warscape?
    5. Is it possible to create shield-using system (when units use shield as sterling protective mean) on the Warscape?
    6. Will you develop strategic and economic component of the game, so it will be interesting to play without necessity of constant fighting?
    1. If we do make games on other platforms, we won't let the core TW experience suffer. I can't see us ever not pouring our heart and soul into TW on PC, even if we do ever do projects on other platforms.

2. The multiplayer team had the opportunity to do something different for Shogun 2 and be a little more creative than previously, and that seemed to go down well. But that said, we'd never abandon the single-player elements of the game - that's essentially what Total War is about.

3. Can't say yet, I don't think we're at a point where we can discuss any future plans in that regard. What I will say is that I really enjoyed that RPG system, and it seems to have gone down well with a lot of people.

4. I don't see why not. The engine is designed to be very flexible whichever direction we decide to go in.

5. As above.

6. I imagine we'll keep working on these areas of the game - we always set ourselves the goal of doing things better with every incarnation. That said, we do make Total War games - to move completely away from the fighting side of things wouldn't be "us".

1. If we do make games on other platforms, we won't let the core TW experience suffer. I can't see us ever not pouring our heart and soul into TW on PC, even if we do ever do projects on other platforms.

2. The multiplayer team had the opportunity to do something different for Shogun 2 and be a little more creative than previously, and that seemed to go down well. But that said, we'd never abandon the single-player elements of the game - that's essentially what Total War is about.

3. Can't say yet, I don't think we're at a point where we can discuss any future plans in that regard. What I will say is that I really enjoyed that RPG system, and it seems to have gone down well with a lot of people.

4. I don't see why not. The engine is designed to be very flexible whichever direction we decide to go in.

5. As above.

6. I imagine we'll keep working on these areas of the game - we always set ourselves the goal of doing things better with every incarnation. That said, we do make Total War games - to move completely away from the fighting side of things wouldn't be "us".
    Thanks a lot! Can't say how I appreciate that. A couple more, sorry my curiosity.
    Are there any people in CA’s team, who really fond of historical research and reconstruction?
    Are there any rivals for TW series in game industry?
    Will CA continue to support mod-makers and help them in editing the map in ETW/NTW in particular?

Thats all. Thanks again

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

I'd like to ask some specific questions too, I understand if they won't or can't be answered though!

1. What's your opinion on strategy games like age of empires?

2. Any chance of an "elite units of the North" package being released for empire total war? I'd still love to see that.

3. Will more variety to appearances be added to shogun 2 at some point? for the main campaign? I was a bit disappointed that the DLC unit package did not contain new appearances at all, especially after the many beautifull units added to Empire total war.

4. Will a range bonus for increased height be added to shogun 2?

5. Any chance of CA developing a board game for promotional purposes?
    the total war games have elements of risk and colonists of catan, I believe a very profitable board game could be made from total war, focusing just on the campaign map aspect and modified for a board game.
    Might be a great way to lure a different crowd to the videogames as well after they enjoy the board game.

Rome, cough, uhmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!maybe, could be, should be!

Huberto's Avatar Praepositus

Thanks, Huberto. Hopefully my post above helps answer this question to an extent. I'm sorry it's vague, but we really are pushing for greater [modding] support.

I can't really say much more than that right now, unfortunately.
    We really appreciate these replies. I believe you and Jack are pushing; and hopefully you will succeed. We all understand that the technical requirements for these games have grown exponentially since Rome and the recent games are beautiful and fun to play but as ever mods remain at the core of the PC gaming experience.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast