Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Default Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Introduction How far we have come since the days of Shogun Total War! It does not seem long ago that “total war” was seen as just a small title aimed at a niche of strategy gamers. Indeed any gamer of significant age has watched and played as it has ballooned into the commercial franchise it is today; setting the standards for its competitors and has solidified its position at the forefront of the strategy genre. Like CA, TWC has also advanced and expanded! It is one of the largest Total War communities and is one of the best places to go for information about the games. Today TWC’s content department has grown into a cohesive group of professional writers and reporters who enjoy a healthy relationship with Creative Assembly. Recently we have enjoyed a podcast interview featuring Jack Lusted and today both Jack and Craig, who are very active in liaising with the community here, have joined us for this interview. Please enjoy the following which is an exclusive available only on TWC!

- Belisarius

Official Interview with CA 1. Firstly, tell us a little more about yourselves and how you started working on total war!

Craig: I’m Craig Laycock, and I’m the community manager for The Creative Assembly. I’ve always been a huge Total War fan and, seeing an opportunity to work for CA had to apply. Initially I worked in QA, and from there moved into PR and Marketing where I get to make use of my journalism background on a daily basis.

Jack: My name is Jack Lusted and I am the Unit Design Lead on the Total War team. I used to be a modder and was also an admin on Total War Center before I joined the company.

2. As a team, how would you describe the creative process that you guys go through when building a total war game? Has this changed at all from earlier titles such as Medieval Total War and Rome?

Craig: Well, I wasn’t around for Medieval or Rome (I joined for Empire), but anecdotally the main change has been the size of the team involved. We’ve gone from a handful of guys to a huge team, and we have to make sure our creative distinctiveness is retained with that level of expansion. It can’t simply be about making bits of a game – everyone has to buy into the big picture. We’re getting really good at that.

Jack: Likewise I joined the company when Empire was in development. Talking to the older members on the team (and a lot of the people who worked on Shogun and Medieval I are still around) the big jump has been team size and the way the team structure has changed. The process starts with deciding on what we are going to cover in a game, and from there the initial scope is decided at the top level of the team. From there it filters down to the different areas such as battle, campaign and multiplayer. The different teams come up with feature and content ideas, and lots of big discussions are had as to what makes it into the final game.

3. The TW games have so far spanned at least three differing eras of warfare. As individuals, what era in history do you think best fits the total war concept?

Craig: It’s really hard to say! I don’t want to be the guy who says “this Total War was the best” when there are so many amazing games made by the studio. Nobody would talk to me for a week. We always say the best eras are the ones where there is a lot of potential for mass-conflict. When you look at human history, there’s quite a few! That said, if I have to pick one in particular I’d go for the Viking Invasion expansion of Medieval 1. That, to me, had everything.

Jack: There is a huge variety of eras that fit into the Total War concept. All we need is a period with lots of war and human history is hardly short on that! The Sengoku era covered by Shogun and Shogun 2 is possibly the best example of a time period that fits with Total War. Long periods of war, lots of factions who could win, nice bits of diplomacy and intrigue. Lovely time period.

4. Do you think that total war could ever work in later eras and global conflicts such as those found in WW1 and WW2?

Craig: Total War is all about epic-scale conflict. Wherever that exists, there is the potential to make a game based on it. Yes, some eras might bring with them gameplay challenges, but that just drives us to innovate more.

Jack: I don’t think we could ever rule out a time period, even ones where conflict is much different from the ‘normal’ Total War formula. It just presents a different challenge for us to overcome.

5. Individually, if you were to have the power to dictate what era of history you want the next total war game to be, which would you choose and why?

Craig: It would be something epic. Something that would give us the opportunity to really stretch Total War’s legs. For me, that’s what Total War is – huge conflict.

Jack: Oooh a tricky question, for me there are many time periods that would be fantastic for the next game.

6. Have there been any non TW games that have inspired you when working on the franchise?

Craig: We’ve always kind of done our own thing – that’s how we ended up doing Total War in the first place. Having said that, there are a lot of games that we enjoy, and it would be silly to say we didn’t look at what other games do and don’t do well.

Jack: Most of us here are gamers too, there are a lot of different games we play. Obviously some of them will inspire us but we do like to forge our own path.

7. How would you describe the working environment in Creative Assembly?

Craig: It’s extremely hard working and professional, with a strong current of camaraderie. In all seriousness, it’s the best place I’ve ever worked. It’s full of brilliant, creative people – I feel like I learn stuff by osmosis just by being around them.

Jack: We have ice cream Wednesdays. ICE. CREAM. WEDNESDAYS. That pretty much sums up how much of a great place to work at this is. It is just such a lovely relaxed, slightly bonkers and fun place.

8. When developing a game, what do you find to be the most enjoyable part of the experience?

Craig: I think that moment when you see it all come together for the first time. It’s usually one exact moment in the dev process where you just see it running and think, “wow”. I can clearly remember the first time I played the E3 demo of Shogun 2 – it was extremely exciting.

Jack: I’ll fully agree with Craig, it is that moment when what you’ve been working on starts to come together and you can see what the final game will be like. Very exciting moment on every project.

9. What do you find to be the least enjoyable?

Craig: Most people in the industry will tell you the same: crunch time. At the end of the project, overtime hours really kick in and everyone works flat-out to deliver the project. There’s free pizza, though, so it’s not all bad.

Jack: Crunch time can be a slog at times, but it’s something that just has to be done at times.

10. The BAi has been a point of some criticism in past titles, the new approach used on Shogun 2 has had a positive reaction from most fans. Do you plan to keep improving the BAi experience?

Craig: Yes, we’d be crazy not to. AI is an area under constant development. We’ll keep working to make it better as long as we’re making games.

Jack: BAI, and AI in general, is a constant process of improvement. It’s something we will always work on to make better and we’re not going to stop trying.

11. If yes do you have any hints as to how you aim to improve the BAi in the future?

Craig: We’ve been working hard to avoid any “idle” AI behaviour. I know the guys have looking out for any instances of that and addressing those if they arise.

Jack: Often some of the big improvements in the AI can come from small fixes or tweaks that have a sort of ripple effect elsewhere. We are always making small fixes and improvements, so the BAI will continue to get better.

12. Many members of the community state that Rome seems to hold a special place in their heart and since release its popularity has not waned within the TWC community, as its creators, why do you think many people feel Rome is special?

Craig: The story of the rise and fall of Rome is one that is familiar to any student. Roman history is popularised wherever you look, from glitzy TV shows to incredible computer games *cough*. That definitely plays a part in the appeal, but beyond that I think the sheer scale of the Roman war machine is epic. Everyone can appreciate that.

Jack: I think for a lot of people it was their first Total War Game, and for others the huge jump in graphics from the Shogun/Medieval engine also helped make Rome special. A big part in making Rome special has also been the huge mod community and the dazzling array of mods that have been made for it.

13. In Alexander TW we saw the beginnings of a story based campaign that was also present in Empires "War of Independence" and Napoleon TW's Italian, Egyptian and Iberian Campaigns. Shogun seems to have drifted slightly from this campaign concept used predominantly in Napoleon. Is there any reason why? Additionally are CA exploring the idea of adding campaigns in future content and/or future titles?

Craig: We’re always keen to see what works and what doesn’t. With Shogun 2, the setting seemed better suited to the idea of warring clans, and bringing the original feel of Shogun back to life, than focusing on an individual.

Jack: As Craig says it will vary from title to title. Some lend themselves more to story or single character focused campaigns, others to more sandbox campaigns. It will always be something we decide on depending on what we are doing. There is certainly more content for Shogun 2 coming.

14. One feature that was very popular in Medieval Total War was the choice between different periods of the era to start ones campaigns. This was especially popular with people who didn't have time to finish a whole campaign but wanted to play with high end units. Was there any particular rational for not including it in Rome and subsequent titles? Is there any chance of this feature popping up in the future?

Craig: I’ll have to defer to Jack on this one, as I’m not sure what the rationale was behind leaving it out. However, I wouldn’t rule out its return. It featured on the recent community suggestion threads, so we are aware that there are people out there who liked it and would like to see it return.

Jack: Multiple start dates is one of those great features that becomes a huge time sink in development. Having 3 different start dates for Shogun 2 for example would have required 3x the amount of testing the campaign right through, and 3x the balancing work. It takes a huge amount of time to fully test a campaign, and we are constantly tweaking the balance of the campaign in development. We prefer to focus on doing one campaign start date and spending as much testing and balancing time on it instead of dividing it between 3 different start dates.

15. Have you guys played any mods, if so which mod did you find most enjoyable?

Craig: Yeah, I play quite a few in my spare time. I’m actually really interested in the World War mods for Napoleon – “The Great War” looks pretty interesting… tanks! I also had Imperial Splendour installed at home for a while for Empire. For Rome, any mods that Jack worked on…!

Jack: Well obviously I’ve played the mods I made: Terrae Expugnandae for Rome and Lands to Conquer for Medieval 2. I’ve also played Fourth Age, Europa Barbarorum, Rome Total Realism and Chivalry. Since I started working for the company not played that many on recent titles as I play our games every day at work and tend to play other titles now in my free time.

16. What positive affect do you think modding has on the total war franchise?

Craig: It’s been hugely positive – there’s no denying that. I’m a big fan of modding, I think it’s something we should look to encourage – and I think most people in the studio agree, too. Whenever I talk to fans, they always mention the importance of modding. For a lot of people, I think it brought them to the series, so we’re keen to help modders out where we can. Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 were trickier to mod, but that wasn’t at all by design. We’re doing what we can to break through those barriers by supplying info where possible.

Jack: You just have to look at how popular some mods have been to see they have had a positive effect on the community. It’s helped build the community and led to a lot of awesome mods. Mods keep people playing our games long after they’ve finished the main game. I also wouldn’t have my job if it wasn’t for the modding I did on Rome and Medieval 2.

17. Do you think modding has any negative effects?

Craig: I can’t think of any. Except when people try mod the game so that paid DLC becomes free. That sort of thing isn’t really fair.

Jack: I don’t think it has any negative effects.

18. Do you have any advice for people who are currently modding who might want to have a career in the gaming industry?

Craig: Tell us about your mods. If they’re good, they’ll get noticed – and that can lead anywhere, as Jack will tell you.

Jack: Yup, without my mods I would not be doing what I am doing right now. Modding shows you have a good understanding of how games work, and give you something to show potential employers.

19. Have you got any entertaining stories to share from the workplace? If so what would be the most entertaining one you can share with us?

Craig: Loads… some of which I can’t share! We have some glass “bowls” on the doors of our new downstairs meeting rooms. When you’re inside, they’re convex, but if you’re looking straight on they look almost concave. I recently tried placing my head inside one, only to meet the cold, hard thud of glass as I faceplanted the curved exterior of the bowl. I would write this off as personal idiocy, but a colleague also did the same recently, so it’s now officially a thing. A worry for Total War fans!

Jack: Ooh blimey which one to pick. I suppose one of my favourites was on someone leaving the company recently. We tend to gather round peoples desks on their last day to give them a send-off (and the proper amount of embarrassment!) and this person pulled out a ukulele and played a song about his time in the company which had us all in laughter.

Conclusion We would like to thank CA for their time and also the Curia for promoting an initiative that helped in the forming of this project. Any questions and suggestions can be PM'd to jimkatalanos and belisarius.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

Although I read the interview beforehand this new formatting is very pleasing to the eye. Very interesting interview and I'm truly glad that TWC now enjoys such a healthy relationship with the guys over at CA

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exclusive: TWC Interviews Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted from Creative Assembly

The most impressive part is Bel's big title graphic.

Well done all on the interview...

Inhuman One's Avatar Comes Limitis

A nice interview, although it is a shame they do not want to name the era they would choose themselves. Or games that inspired them.

Thats pretty much the answers I'd be most curious about.

Border Patrol's Avatar Protector Domesticus

I'm actually really interested in hearing what kinds of games they play in their free time. Why would they feel the need to censor themselves about that?
    Proud Nerdimus Maximus of the Trench Coat Mafia.

Libertus

I’m sorry if I offend anyone, but how is this interesting. No special statements are made and the quick questions do not tell me anything new. I know this is going to sound a bit like a stupid rant, especially from a guy who does not have ’10,000+’ written posts, but…

The questions are not very well thought through in my opinion. ‘Which one is your favourite game’, ‘whats the best part of your job’, ‘whats the worst part’, ‘are you improving the AI(come on, of course they are, ‘how’ they are would be a good question)’. And the questions are not very fulfilling when the answers actually could provide some additional knowledge.
    Take question 5 as an example. ‘If you could choose what timeframe the next game would be set in, what would it be?’, simple albeit interesting question. But Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted do not really answer, the only clear message is that they like ‘epic periods of time’. I know sometimes it can be difficult to decide when asked a question, sometimes there is no real answer, but this interview is full of questions where the interviewed just seems to slide their way through without making a statement or having much of a personality, they apparently love everything CA does, except working ‘overtime hours’, which isn’t all that alien. My point is:
    This interview does not tell us, the fans, who love some of the games and especially the mods, nothing. Nothing whatsoever, maybe a bit about Shogun 2 (but I will return to this subject) and how they fool around and headbutt glass.

I know you make this in good faith and that no harm is actually done, but the interview looks a lot more like a thing which is done so CA gets some focus on the new Shogun installment while showing that they are people too. And that they like modders, because they have one in their staff.

Please give us something better, maybe a bit more juicy, some actually statements. We love the games but we are not sheep!

Peace and love
    Last edited by Mads; September 19, 2011 at 02:07 PM. Reason: horrible spelling

@Mads, Keep in mind that they are bound by a form of NDA. If you read any interview with any game developer, you'll notice some of the same.
    Under the Patronage of Leonidas the Lion|Patron of Imperator of Rome - Dewy - Crazyeyesreaper|American and Proud

MasterBigAb's Avatar Valar Morghulis
    Content Emeritus

I'm actually really interested in hearing what kinds of games they play in their free time. Why would they feel the need to censor themselves about that?
    That was more to do with the question asked than anything else. Talking about other games in relation to what has inspired us for the series could lead to people taking it the wrong way if we talked about certain titles or "oh why don't you play this game to inspire you". I will quite happily tell what games I'm playing at the moment (a lot, and I mean a lot of FM2011, Space marine, DX:HR, BF:BC2). I hope you can understand though why we are more cautious when talking about games not made by use in relation to the series.

Take question 5 as an example. ‘If you could choose what timeframe the next game would be set in, what would it be?’, simple albeit interesting question. But Craig Laycock and Jack Lusted do not really answer, the only clear message is that they like ‘epic periods of time’. I know sometimes it can be difficult to decide when asked a question, sometimes there is no real answer, but this interview is full of questions where the interviewed just seems to slide their way through without making a statement or having much of a personality, they apparently love everything CA does, except working ‘overtime hours’, which isn’t all that alien.
    The reason I at least did not give a direct answer to that question is that I know within five seconds of this interview being up, everyone will think whatever the answer is will be our next game even if it isn't.
    Senior Designer

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions expressed here are those of the poster and do not necessarily represent the views or opinions of The Creative Assembly or SEGA.

Libertus

@Jack Lusted, and people who read my post
    I know what your saying, but cant you see that it kind of undermines the concept of interviewing? Right now I regret that I didn’t know about the restrictions made on the people being interviewed, so in that sense im sorry for being dramatic about this, but I cant help but feel that it’s a bit off having interviews where people aren’t really allowed to talk about the things the people actually wants to hear.

Kinjo's Avatar Taiko

Ice cream Wednesdays! I'm sold where do I sign up?

I think people need to put this interview into the context of everything else we do. What it shows is a small piece of that is becoming a very mutually beneficial relationship between TWC and CA. This is the first time we have done something like this so the focus was not to intensely drill CA. We chose to focus on something easy and light within the context of the rest of our content. You have CA's monthly update, the competitions where CA donated prizes, the Lusted podcast, the modding statement, the Eagle Standard and the TWN all giving the community content monthly. Indeed there is nothing that CA have released to the public which isnt on TWC. While this shows that our staff are good at their jobs it also shows that CA is really committed to our community! The question re what jack plays was done in the podcast (with he mentioned minecraft afaik).

Now we tried to get some hints but CA is a business and cannot just release information that could potentially harm the company. Indeed even if given the choice I would not want Jack and Craig talking about anything that could endanger their jobs! I personally have been playing total war for close to 8 years now and personally within those answers I found some tremendously interesting points that give serious food for thought.
    Last edited by Belisarius; September 19, 2011 at 02:51 PM.
    Well, if I, Belisarius, the Black Prince, and you all agree on something, I really don't think there can be any further discussion.
    - Simetrical 2009 in reply to Ferrets54

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    I want pancakes... THERE'S NO PANCAKE MIX IN THERE!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Had a nice read though, also its always interesting to hear from Jack and his experiences as he's employed for the reason of modificating the games in an excellent way.

Did anyone else not really learn anything from this interview? Nearly all the answers were the sort of generic responses a politician might give...

Omnipotent-Q's Avatar All Powerful Q
    Content Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

I think having an expectation that you'll learn all about what the next games going to be or their business plan for the next 5 years is never realistic. I liked the insight into the job they do an office antics, and there's some good mod shout outs and the like in there . The Great War....I've never actually had a chance to give that a go - but on hearing about the tanks - no brainer I gotta try the goods at last!

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjo View Post
    I'm going to wager one White Chocolate Magnum that this is their top choice on a Wednesday.

Under the patronage of the Legendary Urbanis Legio - Mr Necrobrit of the Great House of Wild Bill Kelso. Honoured to have sponsored these great warriors for Citizenship - Joffrey Baratheon, General Brittanicus, SonOfOdin, Hobbes., Lionheartx10, Mangerman, Gen. Chris and PikeStance.

The Hedge Knight's Avatar Fierce When Cornered
    Artifex

Well as a point you cant have no tanks yet (all mine/Bdizzles/Aankers/Samas/Mitches whatever ) and there is plenty more in the store room so you might want to wait for 5.0 before downloading anything.

I liked the interview, my one piece of feedback would be that you should wrap a content box around the question (or similar) as right now I find it a tad hard to read, also grey doesn't stand out too well for me (I have weird eyes).

Would you like them to respond in relation to item 16.

So, why Shogun 2 is not mod friendly? Do not you think it is killing the mod community?

GSB - Grand Strategy Brazil
    A community of
    Lusophone Total War

Boustrophedon's Avatar Grote Smurf
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Philippus View Post
    Would you like them to respond in relation to item 16.

So, why Shogun 2 is not mod friendly? Do not you think it is killing the mod community?
    There are mods being developed for Shogun everyday and I myself am playing with 6 different mods/tweaks atm. Don't know where you are getting the "killing the mod community" from. Sure, there are less things we can edit but the things we can edit are being done

Furthermore I agree with Belisarius that this interview needs to be read in context. There has been a very strained relationship between TWC and CA for as long as I can remember and this interview is one step on the way towards working together and sharing information etc. We're not game critics, we're fans. I wasn't expecting them to answer the question "what era do you like most" because that would be interpreted as "this is the next TW game". Craig is right when he assumed a PR nightmare would ensue

All in all, this interview was refreshing and a big step towards collaboration

AnthoniusII's Avatar Μέγαc Δομέστικοc

Interesting interview.
    Truth is hiden behind words though.
    Craig: I can’t think of any. Except when people try mod the game so that paid DLC becomes free. That sort of thing isn’t really fair.
    In other words:
    Stop modding because we will not be able to sell new DLCs. CA wants to make money and modders offer their services free. That's not fair.

TGC in order to continue its development seak one or more desicated scripters to put our campaign scripts mess to an order plus to create new events and create the finall missing factions recruitment system. In return TGC will give permision to those that will help to use its material stepe by step. The result will be a fully released TGC plus many mods that will benefit TGC's material.
    Despite the mod is dead does not mean that anyone can use its material
    read this to avoid misunderstandings.

IWTE tool master and world txt one like this, needed inorder to release TGC 1.0 official to help TWC to survive.
    Adding MARKA HORSES in your mod and create new varietions of them. Tutorial RESTORED.

Inevitability won
    Patrician Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by The Glorious Craig Laycock
    Craig: Yeah, I play quite a few in my spare time. I’m actually really interested in the World War mods for Napoleon – “The Great War” looks pretty interesting… tanks!
    This fine man forever holds a special place in this Welshmans heart.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast