Thread: Seige / Wall Mod

Icon5 Seige / Wall Mod

Quote Originally Posted by fireship4 View Post
    Is there a way to make it so that units cannot climb over castle walls? It seems pointless to have a wall if people can just go through it.
    I think the above suggestion is quite good with additions for expanding strategy:

- Ninja Units only with the ability to climb

- The use of ninja agents will be more important to sabotage City/Castle Gates

- Perhaps a ladder(a la MTW2 sieges)/rope addition so wall climbing is made possible

- (re: latter) Wall climbing/sieges as per above only possible through Bushido tech tree

I understand that these will affect CAI behaviour considerably, but I trust in the many talented modders/programmers out there to be able to incorporate it smoothly.

Cheers

The Gentle Touch Of A Woman's Hand Can Soothe The Tempest Of A Man's Heart Especially If They Cook Something Tasty
    =========================================================

Default Re: Seige / Wall Mod

nevermind a bad comment
    Last edited by betto; September 20, 2011 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Kami
    Well yes you can change what units to have this ability in unit_stats_land table it's called use grappling hooks.
    But if you remove this it will completly brake gameplay during sieges since the AI has trouble enough with pathfinding as it is during siege battles.
    The rate at wich they fall of the walls i have no idea what value might affect that to be hounest.
    Anyway use packfile manager to open the packfile in question go to the table mentioned above scroll to the right and you will find this section with the grappling hooks change it from false to true or vice versa.
    EDIT 2: Actually looking at the DB for the mods I use this is already set to false. I will try true and see what happens.

EDIT 3: I changed the "Use grappling hooks" column in the mentioned database from "False" to "True" for all units and tried a custom battle but it did not seem to make a difference. I will try again by changing all of the "unused" values for one unit (e.g. Yari Ashigaru) and seeing what happens.

EDIT 4: Changing all the unused/unknown columns for yari ashigaru made the game crash. I could do them one by one but this would take a while. I might try if I have time.
    Last edited by fireship4; September 19, 2011 at 04:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fireship4 View Post
    EDIT 2: Actually looking at the DB for the mods I use this is already set to false. I will try true and see what happens.

EDIT 3: I changed the "Use grappling hooks" column in the mentioned database from "False" to "True" for all units and tried a custom battle but it did not seem to make a difference. I will try again by changing all of the "unused" values for one unit (e.g. Yari Ashigaru) and seeing what happens.

EDIT 4: Changing all the unused/unknown columns for yari ashigaru made the game crash. I could do them one by one but this would take a while. I might try if I have time.
    would be awsome if some achieve how to use cords to climb or even better cord ladders ...wood ladders is probaly impossible is s2tw engine

I believe there's a claws/grappling hooks column in the db files and it dictates whether the unit suffers losses climbing over walls. Ninja do not.

Yes there is, I believe it's one of the last four True/False options in the unit_land_stats. I noticed a pattern with Ninja's and copied it, I have units that do not fall. I haven't actually narrowed it down to the actual column yet but it is one of the last 4.

thats good ,but do the opposite would be much better ,units fall much more from the walls. then small garrisons would be effeective...
    but i dont know if someone will be able to teach ai that walls are dangerous ,broke the doors is safer.

the most funny is that always on auto resolve the fort is harmed ,but i never see the ai breaking the doors just one time or two ninja saboting the doors

My little Bow Retainer mod makes small garrisons very effective. Even a stronghold (1 Retainer, 1 Yari, 2 towers) can hold off a pretty large AI-run ashigaru assault.

has anyone found out yet how to stop units from climbing walls? I agree that ninjas should be the only ones to climb walls. Im sure this is not historic but it would make the game more interesting and you need more strategy in siege battles.

Erwin Rommel's Avatar EYE-PATCH FETISH

Im sure this is not historic
    How come, I've seen it even in Kagemusha by Akira Kurosawa, when Takeda Katsuyori besieged Taketenjin Castle, and it clearly showed Yari samurai climbing a huge wall without ladders.

(Its clickable by the way....An S2 overhaul mod.)

Seriously. Click it. Its the only overhaul mod that's overhauling enough to bring out NEW clans
    Masaie. Retainer of Akaie|AntonIII

I mean whats not historic is, units not being able to climb walls. I know that japanese soldiers before climb during sieges, but I just dont like it. what I was saying was, it would make the game more interesting if they cant climb because youll need to break the gates and requires more strategy than just scaling each wall available.

I remember going to Osaka castle and seeing how sheer its walls were, and how they modified it so it was virtually impossible to climb as the sides had been made smoother than before...I'm going through all my photos I took but unfortunately it was the old 35mm days...no digital camera...Doh!

The Gentle Touch Of A Woman's Hand Can Soothe The Tempest Of A Man's Heart Especially If They Cook Something Tasty
    =========================================================