Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Persian elite infantry dress

Default Persian elite infantry dress

It would seem that the Anusiya and the other elite Persian infantry unit (forget the name, yellow costume) are wearing what IMO would probably be their ceremonial "uniforms" as seen on Persepolis reliefs and the like, with the crown-like headgear for the Anusiya and the headband for the other guys, in actual campaigning, wouldn't they be more likely to wear simple cloth with the removable tiara for desert environments?

vs

Blatta Optima Maxima's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae
    Free Democratic People's Republic of Latvia

Default Re: Persian elite infantry dress

Yes, the Mede dress. Although the guy's equipment is wholly inaccurate.

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

We already adressed this in our first preview of RoPIII. I suggest you check that out

How?

Bull3pr00f de Bodemloze's Avatar Occasio mihi fertur

You obviously haven't checked the preview.

Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Which page? My wifi signal is choppy at best so i don't feel like waiting for all the pics to load lol

The wicker shield would have been square. They did use a wooden shield too, which was of the shape shown in the picture.
    As a sword he'd either have a falchion, or a short stabbing sword. No one ever used shield, spear, bow and sword at the same time.

Also, the Persians weren't equipped for desert combat, since Persis isn't a desert.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; September 20, 2011 at 02:03 AM.

The caption calls it a "large dagger" or "short sword". Also I think Fars is classified as semi-desert, and anyway they campaigned in deserts throughout the Mideast, not ergs but still considered deserts.

Fars was a semi-arid/mediterranean climate, littered with drier mountains and fertile valleys.

Mesopotamia was largely a heavily irrigated agricultural zone, littered with water sources and towns, villages and cities. Anatolia - mediterranean. Levant - semiarid/mesopotamean. Egypt - since everything happened along the Nile, a heavily vegetated zone. No one campaigned in the actual deserts of central Iran, Arabia and Syria. Everything hapened along water supply.

You obviously suffer the typical error of thinking Middle East is desert.

Semi arid is not as close as you might think. It usually means a lot of vegetation and usually a mix between dry land and water paths.

If anything, the Persians were your typical hill/mountain men, working land on a plateau and fighting rival tribes in mountain passes and valleys.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; September 20, 2011 at 02:29 PM.

[QUOTE=Kitsunegari;10321063]The caption calls it a "large dagger" or "short sword". QUOTE]
    the "Deshneh" ????

I think that's what you mean right ?

Last edited by the persian Immortal; September 20, 2011 at 03:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blatta Optima Maxima View Post
    So you have reached the "NANANANANA I AM NOT LIZTENING, YOU ARE WRONG" phase. Just a couple of posts back you were bragging about how the Persians lost because of their inferiority, now you're saying you don't care?
    BOM to Kakabis
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=484498
    my AAR, please check it out

Quote Originally Posted by Cocroach the great View Post
    Fars was a semi-arid/mediterranean climate, littered with drier mountains and fertile valleys.

Mesopotamia was largely a heavily irrigated agricultural zone, littered with water sources and towns, villages and cities. Anatolia - mediterranean. Levant - semiarid/mesopotamean. Egypt - since everything happened along the Nile, a heavily vegetated zone. No one campaigned in the actual deserts of central Iran, Arabia and Syria. Everything hapened along water supply.

You obviously suffer the typical error of thinking Middle East is desert.

Semi arid is not as close as you might think. It usually means a lot of vegetation and usually a mix between dry land and water paths.
    Uhh no, I'm part Lebanese and have traveled through there and Turkey several times, both those countries have no real desert. You suffer from the typical error in believing the only deserts are ergs (great sand dune deserts).
    Last edited by Kitsunegari; September 20, 2011 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunegari View Post
    Uhh no, I'm part Lebanese and have traveled through there and Turkey several times, both those countries have no real desert.
    My point.
    You suffer from the typical error in believing the only deserts are ergs (great sand dune deserts).
    No. I do not.

P.S. It seems that 2000 and more years ago the climate of the world was a bit cooler and more humid, hence the steppes covering almost the entirety of central Asia. That would mean very little desert in the area that was the Achaemenid empire.
    Last edited by Blatta Optima Maxima; September 21, 2011 at 12:40 AM.

Be that as it may i doubt arid areas like the Syrian interior and southern Iran would have had substantially different levels of precipitation, the Persians survived due to their creation of qanats and other irrigation techniques, while cities like Palmyra were centered on oases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsunegari View Post
    Be that as it may i doubt arid areas like the Syrian interior and southern Iran would have had substantially different levels of precipitation, the Persians survived due to their creation of qanats and other irrigation techniques, while cities like Palmyra were centered on oases.
    I know much of Syria is desert. Yet Fars itself is more of a semi-arid plateau. It's not a desert.

Rinan's Avatar Centenarius

But the Achaemenids didn't conquer the Middle East by lounging around in Fars!

They developed their army during centuries of fighting in and around Fars.

Much of Fars is desert in the south, though it definitely it has its more fertile areas to the north.

^That's not a desert; That's a semi-arid mountain region. It has water running through, which means underground waters are not far. Not to mention also this is Fars:

Yeah Persis has a couple of different climate zones, some are quite temperate. Much of the south however, would be considered desert- (from Websters):a : arid land with usually sparse vegetation; especially : such land having a very warm climate and receiving less than 25 centimeters (10 inches) of sporadic rainfall annually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast